New bike advice

JWM

May 6, 2019, 1:53:55 PM5/6/19
A female friend of mine wants a new bike

Her current one is from Halfords and is their "own brand" although I can't quite remember the name off the top of my head. She'll want something similar ie a hybrid with a female frame but the main criteria are it needs to be a good deal lighter and have disk brakes.

Not being familiar with bikes at all I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for something suitable - budget is around £500.

My bike has a toothed belt rather than a chain and it has a hub gear - not wanting the belt for my friend but a hub gear might be good?

Thanks

Mr Pounder Esquire

May 6, 2019, 2:23:15 PM5/6/19
Tell her to grow up, get a job and buy a car.

Kerr-Mudd,John

May 6, 2019, 2:50:56 PM5/6/19
You might be better off asking in urc.moderated ; there are some sad
individuals posting here.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Kerr-Mudd,John

May 6, 2019, 2:51:12 PM5/6/19
See?

swldx...@gmail.com

May 6, 2019, 3:11:06 PM5/6/19
My wife loves her Giant Expression N3. £350 or so.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/expression-n3-w-2013

Peter Keller

May 7, 2019, 5:17:40 AM5/7/19
If growing up is becoming a pillock like you then that is absolutely the
wrong advice.
Has your chisel got any use yet?

True Blue

May 7, 2019, 7:10:09 AM5/7/19
"Mr Pounder".....hmmmm - is your nym a proclamation of your machismo and virality ? Do you take a young lady to heaven and back by relentlessly "pounding away" at her all night, stopping only occasionally for more rhino horn?

I think we should be told.

Mr Pounder Esquire

May 7, 2019, 7:34:33 AM5/7/19
I've heard them all, including your cheap silly crack.

No. 6

May 7, 2019, 7:58:26 AM5/7/19
He's a plumber; the nickname came from an over-zealous application of a
toilet plunger to a blocked drain under a standing head, which resulted
in a blowback of the contents.

(He posted about it in his early days on usenet, when the little old lady
saw him covered in it she would not allow him to use the shower, kicked
him out and hired another [better] plumber.)

swldx...@gmail.com

May 7, 2019, 1:53:33 PM5/7/19
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 12:58:26 PM UTC+1, No. 6 wrote:

> He's a plumber; the nickname came from an over-zealous application of a
> toilet plunger to a blocked drain under a standing head, which resulted
> in a blowback of the contents.
>
> (He posted about it in his early days on usenet, when the little old lady
> saw him covered in it she would not allow him to use the shower, kicked
> him out and hired another [better] plumber.)

The Medway Handyman was our resident bog cleaner, Pounder was a fire extinguisher salesman.

Peter Keller

May 8, 2019, 5:13:09 AM5/8/19
Where is your chisel?

Simon Jester

May 8, 2019, 12:52:24 PM5/8/19
It divorced him, even chisels have standards.

JNugent

May 8, 2019, 4:51:49 PM5/8/19
Ungrammatical (and so strictly meaningless).

Learn the distinction between the comma and the semi-colon.

2/10.

TMS320

May 9, 2019, 5:13:44 AM5/9/19
On 06/05/2019 18:53, JWM wrote:
> A female friend of mine wants a new bike
>
> Her current one is from Halfords and is their "own brand" although I
> can't quite remember the name off the top of my head. She'll want
> something similar ie a hybrid with a female frame but the main
> criteria are it needs to be a good deal lighter and have disk
> brakes.

If you're still here...

Avoid cable operated disk brakes as you would a dose of plague. V brakes
are much better.

(Halfords brand is Carrera).

> Not being familiar with bikes at all I wondered if anyone has any
> recommendations for something suitable - budget is around £500.
>
> My bike has a toothed belt rather than a chain and it has a hub gear
> - not wanting the belt for my friend but a hub gear might be good?
>
> Thanks

Have you thought about an electric bike?

JWM

May 10, 2019, 5:29:56 AM5/10/19
I'm still here - Carerra yes that's the Halfords brand

Yes, we're wanting hydraulic disk brakes not cable

Don't want an electric thanks - whole purpose of the thing is exercise. I had one a while back and it was great for my commute where home was all uphill from work!

TMS320

May 10, 2019, 7:52:15 AM5/10/19
On 10/05/2019 10:29, JWM wrote:

> Don't want an electric thanks - whole purpose of the thing is
> exercise. I had one a while back and it was great for my commute
> where home was all uphill from work!

I mentioned it because you said it was for a female friend and electric
seems to be a real boon for ladies riding with men. But it answers my
question that it is something you have considered.

Scion

May 11, 2019, 5:52:05 AM5/11/19
Have a look at the Trek DS2.

Front suspension (can be locked out for smooth surfaces), hydraulic disc
brakes, plenty of range in the gears, available with step-through frame,
on budget.

e.g. https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-ds-2-2019-women-s-hybrid-bike-
EV340577

Mado Babo

Oct 31, 2021, 5:14:42 PM10/31/21
Hello, I think Hybrid bike is a suitable choice for your demands.
I search over and over, and found many opinions on reddit, amazon, etc.... agree that the best choice is hybrid bike.
You can find extra resources here
https://hybridbikerider.com/
https://hybridbikerider.com/hybridbike/best-hybrid-bike/

swldx...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2021, 5:20:31 PM10/31/21
Get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to go with it.

Rob Morley

Nov 25, 2021, 11:39:40 AM11/25/21
On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 14:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
"swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 9:14:42 PM UTC, Mado Babo wrote:
> > On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 8:53:55 PM UTC+3, JWM wrote:
> [...]
> > Hello, I think Hybrid bike is a suitable choice for your demands.
> > I search over and over, and found many opinions on reddit, amazon,
> > etc.... agree that the best choice is hybrid bike. You can find
> > extra resources here https://hybridbikerider.com/
> > https://hybridbikerider.com/hybridbike/best-hybrid-bike/
>
> Get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres to go with it.

That post was a reply to one only a year-and-a-half old.