Random Highway Code testing

Mike Collins

Apr 16, 2022, 6:54:33 AM4/16/22

Police should have the power to ask motorists Highway Code questions.

For example;

If a traffic light turns red what should you do?
A: It was a cyclist's fault.
B: It was a cyclist's fault.
C: It was a cyclist's fault.
D: It was a cyclist's fault.
E: It was a cyclist's fault.

JNugent

Apr 16, 2022, 7:02:48 AM4/16/22
On 16/04/2022 11:54 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> Police should have the power to ask random Highway Code questions of fairy-cyclists.
>
> For example;
>
> If a traffic light turns red what should you do?

A. What's a traffic light?

B. What does "red" mean?

C. They don't apply to fairy-cyclists like me.

D. Stop.

E. Stop, but only if I can be bothered.

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2022, 9:19:11 AM4/16/22
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 11:54:33 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> Police should have the power to ask motorists Highway Code questions.

Only the old edition as no driver has read the 2022 version.

Peter Keller

Apr 17, 2022, 5:34:23 AM4/17/22
F. Stop, and look at the beautiful scenery around you.

JNugent

Apr 17, 2022, 9:17:16 AM4/17/22
:-)

Not bad!

Not all that relevant at (say) Dalston Junction, but you have a point.

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2022, 11:53:02 AM4/17/22
QUOTE: The Highway Code was subject to a series of significant changes early in 2022, but research by the IAM Roadsmart charity suggests millions of drivers aren’t aware.

The charity surveyed 1,000 drivers, and found 20 percent of them didn’t know the Highway Code rules have changed. If the survey result is representative of the national picture, that could mean up to 7 million drivers are carrying on regardless of the changes, potentially putting themselves and others at risk. ENDS

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355693/2022-highway-code-changes-7-million-drivers-unaware-new-rules-cars-cyclists-and-hgvs

Peter Keller

Apr 18, 2022, 5:09:31 AM4/18/22
Surely even Dalston Junction has some pretty ladies in brief clothes
walking by?

JNugent

Apr 18, 2022, 9:27:57 AM4/18/22
Possibly, possibly. It's not widely regarded as a beauty spot, though.

It's a while since I was around that way.

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2022, 12:00:45 PM4/18/22
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 11:54:33 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> Police should have the power to ask motorists Highway Code questions.

Waste of time.

TMS320

Apr 24, 2022, 3:34:20 PM4/24/22
On 18/04/2022 10:09, Peter Keller wrote:

> Surely even Dalston Junction has some pretty ladies in brief clothes
> walking by?

It depends on the time of year. The trouble is, a) a lot of modern young
ladies have trouble fitting into brief clothes, b) they don't seem to
frequent the roads that have traffic lights.

Which reminds me, some years ago,I was cycling along one February
morning, wearing three or four layers of clothing and the thing I first
noticed about the young lady cycling towards me were her brief shorts.
Closer up, I realised she was wearing just bikini top and bottom.
Perhaps she was from your part of the world and didn't realise that
seasons in the northern hemisphere are out of phase with the south. Or
perhaps she came from Siberia and found the 40 degree increase in
temperature rather uncomfortable.

Rob Morley

May 17, 2022, 11:46:47 PM5/17/22
Don't be silly, I've read it (well, the table of changes - I'd already
read the 2019 version).

swldx...@gmail.com

May 18, 2022, 5:51:51 AM5/18/22
I've read the changes many times.
The right wing press has been full of them. :-)

Spike

May 18, 2022, 9:06:42 AM5/18/22
Police should have the power to ask cyclists Highway Code questions.

The cycling press has been full of cyclists' rights.

But not their responsibilities.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

May 18, 2022, 11:39:14 AM5/18/22
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 11:54:33 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> Police should have the power to ask motorists Highway Code questions.
>
> For example;

What is the speed limit on this road?

Spike

May 18, 2022, 1:01:46 PM5/18/22
On 18/05/2022 13:06, Spike wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 09:51, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 4:46:47 AM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

>>> Don't be silly, I've read it (well, the table of changes - I'd already
>>> read the 2019 version).

>> I've read the changes many times.
>> The right wing press has been full of them. :-)

> Police should have the power to ask cyclists Highway Code questions.

For example;

What is the speed limit on this road?

swldx...@gmail.com

May 18, 2022, 1:07:56 PM5/18/22
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 11:54:33 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> Police should have the power to ask motorists Highway Code questions.
>
> For example;

Is it legal for you to be using a mobile phone when driving?