Near Miss of the Day 667: “Are you trying to kill me?” – Aggressive PHV driver fined £660 for close pass (video includes swearing)

swldx...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2021, 8:35:30 AM11/25/21
Great result! What an absolute prick and as usual is in SO much of a hurry and yet has all the time in the world to shout abuse at the cyclist.

A public hire vehicle driver filmed accelerating towards a cyclist to try and get round him ahead of a pinch point on a 20mph road in east London, then unleashed a torrent of abuse on the rider, has been handed a £660 fine and ordered to pay court costs of £120.

Lukei1, the road.cc reader who filmed the incident on Bishops Way, Cambridge Heath, told us: “I was keeping primary position on a street with numerous pinch points and crossings, this PHV driver decided to squeeze past despite me holding the speed limit without any issues.

“My initial swearing is due to turning around to look at the perfect moment to see the car heading towards me at very close range and sh*tting myself.

“Despite being a so-called professional, the driver then stopped to unload a load of nonsensical abuse, justifying his driving on the basis that I was not dead.

“Apologies for the unforgivable faux pas of describing myself as being in the middle of the road rather than the lane,” he continued.

“Thanks to the cameras, the driver was taken to court for failing to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road / in a public place without reasonable consideration to other users, hit with 6 points and a fine of £660 and court costs of £160.

“I also reported him to TFL as the PHV regulator but they are a closed book on outcomes,” Lukei1added. “Let’s hope he’s not driving passengers anymore.”

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-667-driver-fined-ps660-very-close-pass-288115

JNugent

Nov 29, 2021, 11:59:58 AM11/29/21

> Great result! What an absolute prick and as usual is in SO much of a hurry and yet has all the time in the world to shout abuse at the fairy-cyclist.
>
> A public hire vehicle driver filmed accelerating towards a fairy-cyclist to try and get round him ahead of a pinch point on a 20mph road in east London, then unleashed a torrent of abuse on the fairy-rider, has been handed a £660 fine and ordered to pay court costs of £120.
>
> Lukei1, the road.cc reader who filmed the incident on Bishops Way, Cambridge Heath, told us: “I was keeping primary position on a street with numerous pinch points and crossings, this PHV driver decided to squeeze past despite me holding the speed limit without any issues.
>
> “My initial swearing is due to turning around to look at the perfect moment to see the car heading towards me at very close range and sh*tting myself.
>
> “Despite being a so-called professional, the driver then stopped to unload a load of nonsensical abuse, justifying his driving on the basis that I was not dead.
>
> “Apologies for the unforgivable faux pas of describing myself as being in the middle of the road rather than the lane,” he continued.
>
> “Thanks to the cameras, the driver was taken to court for failing to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road / in a public place without reasonable consideration to other users, hit with 6 points and a fine of £660 and court costs of £160.
>
> “I also reported him to TFL as the PHV regulator but they are a closed book on outcomes,” Lukei1added. “Let’s hope he’s not driving passengers anymore.”
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-667-driver-fined-ps660-very-close-pass-288115

The conveyance in the video is NOT a "public hire vehicle" (whose
meaning is synonymous with "taxi").

It is a private hire vehicle not licenced for public hire.