Huge row erupts as Leeds cyclists accused of 'knocking down' pedestrians on footpaths

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 12:48:57 PMSep 15
People who use pushbikes in Leeds claim the city's cycle lanes are "not fit for purpose" sparking a huge row between themselves and pedestrians.

Cycle lanes have been placed in and around Leeds city centre in a bid to stop cyclists from using the pavements.

However, furious residents in the city say a number are still using pavements.

In a debate on Facebook group LeedsPlace, one pedestrian said: "I saw a woman get knocked down and hurt by a cyclist on a pedestrian walk way in Leeds."

Another wrote: "My friend just had a partial knee replacement due to being hit by a cyclist on the footpath."

Others hit back and apportioned blame on reckless drivers, with a person posting: "I don't trust the drivers on the road, my friend got killed on a bicycle by a reckless driver."

One person said: "I don't like the idea of cycling on the road, so close to cars," while another posted: "I'm scared to cycle on the roads."

Leeds City Council plans to spend £7.06m on new cycling routes across Leeds, in part of the council's aim to encourage more people to travel by bike.

New plans add 7km of cycle lanes, including 3.2km of segregated cycling to the Leeds city centre cycle network across five separate schemes.

The aim is to improve the connectivity to the city centre and access of the city-wide cycle network - something which Martin Stanley, acting chair of the Leeds Cycling Campaign, thinks is needed.

Responding to pedestrians' concerns, Mr Stanley said: "We can't say that people should or shouldn't be doing it, but I do think its important to identity that sometimes the poor road conditions or the cycle lanes provided are not fit for purpose."

"A lot of the time people using the paths express that it's for self preservation, their own safety. You will always get some anti-social people whether cyclists, pedestrians or drivers.

"I think there is some confusion that some pavements are actually for shared use; these types of paths are common around the city, people may be unaware."
"It's important for people to differentiate between good quality and bad quality cycle way.

"A good quality cycling path would be separated from traffic by a physical medium, whereas a bad path would be a white line painted on the road, which aren't useful as people park in them."

The Leeds Cycling Campaign group has urged for the new infrastructure to be of a quality that means cyclists shouldn't feel the need to cycle on routes not designed for them.

At present some of the cycle paths across Leeds stop suddenly. However, the council does have plans to link them up as more routes go in.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/huge-row-erupts-leeds-cyclists-21571887

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 2:40:17 PMSep 15

> People who use pushbikes in Leeds claim the city's fairy-cycle lanes are "not fit for purpose" sparking a huge row between themselves and pedestrians.
>
> Fairy-Cycle lanes have been placed in and around Leeds city centre in a bid to stop fairy-cyclists from using the pavements.
>
> However, furious residents in the city say a number are still using pavements.
>
> In a debate on Facebook group LeedsPlace, one pedestrian said: "I saw a woman get knocked down and hurt by a fairy-cyclist on a pedestrian walk way in Leeds."
>
> Another wrote: "My friend just had a partial knee replacement due to being hit by a fairy-cyclist on the footpath."
>
> Others hit back and apportioned blame on reckless drivers, with a person posting: "I don't trust the drivers on the road, my friend got killed on a fairy-bicycle by a reckless driver."
>
> One person said: "I don't like the idea of fairy-cycling on the road, so close to cars," while another posted: "I'm scared to fairy-cycle on the roads."
>
> Leeds City Council plans to spend £7.06m on new fairy-cycling routes across Leeds, in part of the council's aim to encourage more people to travel by fairy-bike.
>
> New plans add 7km of fairy-cycle lanes, including 3.2km of segregated fairy-cycling to the Leeds city centre fairy-cycle network across five separate schemes.
>
> The aim is to improve the connectivity to the city centre and access of the city-wide fairy-cycle network - something which Martin Stanley, acting chair of the Leeds Fairy-Cycling Campaign, thinks is needed.
>
> Responding to pedestrians' concerns, Mr Stanley said: "We can't say that people should or shouldn't be doing it, but I do think its important to identity that sometimes the poor road conditions or the fairy-cycle lanes provided are not fit for purpose."
>
> "A lot of the time people using the paths express that it's for self preservation, their own safety. You will always get some anti-social people whether fairy-cyclists, pedestrians or drivers.
>
> "I think there is some confusion that some pavements are actually for shared use; these types of paths are common around the city, people may be unaware."
> "It's important for people to differentiate between good quality and bad quality fairy-cycle way.
>
> "A good quality fairy-cycling path would be separated from traffic by a physical medium, whereas a bad path would be a white line painted on the road, which aren't useful as people park in them."
>
> The Leeds Cycling Campaign group has urged for the new infrastructure to be of a quality that means fairy-cyclists shouldn't feel the need to fairy-cycle on routes not designed for them.
>
> At present some of the fairy-cycle paths across Leeds stop suddenly. However, the council does have plans to link them up as more routes go in.
>
> https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/huge-row-erupts-leeds-cyclists-21571887

Here's a clue, Leeds fairy-cyclists:

The footway is not a fairy-cycling lane, not even if you ARE "scared to
fairy-cycle on the roads".

If it's risky, the risks should fall on you, not on innocent pedestrians
who are doing nothing wrong. It is, you, the fairy-cyclists, after all,
who are breaking the law and endangering people.

Mike Collins

Sep 15, 2021, 2:49:24 PMSep 15
On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 19:40:17 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 05:48 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > People who use pushbikes in Leeds claim the city's fairy-cycle lanes are "not fit for purpose" sparking a huge row between themselves and pedestrians.
> >
> > Fairy-Cycle lanes have been placed in and around Leeds city centre in a bid to stop fairy-cyclists from using the pavements.
> >
> > However, furious residents in the city say a number are still using pavements.
> >
> > In a debate on Facebook group LeedsPlace, one pedestrian said: "I saw a woman get knocked down and hurt by a fairy-cyclist on a pedestrian walk way in Leeds."
> >
> > Another wrote: "My friend just had a partial knee replacement due to being hit by a fairy-cyclist on the footpath."
> >
> > Others hit back and apportioned blame on reckless drivers, with a person posting: "I don't trust the drivers on the road, my friend got killed on a fairy-bicycle by a reckless driver."
> >
> > One person said: "I don't like the idea of fairy-cycling on the road, so close to cars," while another posted: "I'm scared to fairy-cycle on the roads."
> >
> > Leeds City Council plans to spend £7.06m on new fairy-cycling routes across Leeds, in part of the council's aim to encourage more people to travel by fairy-bike.
> >
> > New plans add 7km of fairy-cycle lanes, including 3.2km of segregated fairy-cycling to the Leeds city centre fairy-cycle network across five separate schemes.
> >
> > The aim is to improve the connectivity to the city centre and access of the city-wide fairy-cycle network - something which Martin Stanley, acting chair of the Leeds Fairy-Cycling Campaign, thinks is needed.
> >
> > Responding to pedestrians' concerns, Mr Stanley said: "We can't say that people should or shouldn't be doing it, but I do think its important to identity that sometimes the poor road conditions or the fairy-cycle lanes provided are not fit for purpose."
> >
> > "A lot of the time people using the paths express that it's for self preservation, their own safety. You will always get some anti-social people whether fairy-cyclists, pedestrians or drivers.
> >
> > "I think there is some confusion that some pavements are actually for shared use; these types of paths are common around the city, people may be unaware."
> > "It's important for people to differentiate between good quality and bad quality fairy-cycle way.
> >
> > "A good quality fairy-cycling path would be separated from traffic by a physical medium, whereas a bad path would be a white line painted on the road, which aren't useful as people park in them."
> >
> > The Leeds Cycling Campaign group has urged for the new infrastructure to be of a quality that means fairy-cyclists shouldn't feel the need to fairy-cycle on routes not designed for them.
> >
> > At present some of the fairy-cycle paths across Leeds stop suddenly. However, the council does have plans to link them up as more routes go in.
> >
> > https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/huge-row-erupts-leeds-cyclists-21571887
>
> fairy-cyclists:

and immediately lost the argument.

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 4:03:22 PMSep 15
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:48:57 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
2 hrs ago

As cyclist and a driver and pedestrian as Gavin Long. I started cycling at 62 and I love it cycling to work 12 mile round trip. As others have said on here some of cycle lanes end abruptly. I’m impressed with the new cycle lanes agree not all cyclists use them. There is a no entry sign at the bottom of Briggate except for cyclists

> https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/huge-row-erupts-leeds-cyclists-21571887

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 7:27:17 PMSep 15

> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:48:57 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2 hrs ago
>
> As cyclist and a driver and pedestrian as Gavin Long.

Eh?

> I started cycling at 62 and I love it cycling to work 12 mile round trip.

Didn't you live at 64 at that time?