Amusing traffic report warns of major delays by car...or six-minute cycle

1 view

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 7:02:07 AM9/22/21
As far as traffic reports go, this one's pretty entertaining. It's undoubtedly one of the best things about commuting by bike. That moment when you glide down an empty cycle lane past the queue of stationary road users... normally, moments later a car door will open or someone pulls out on you and you're swiftly knocked back to reality...but it's great while it lasts!

LiveDrive, a live traffic service for Dublin, broke the terrible news last night that anyone leaving work at 5 and heading for the North Circular was in for a long commute. It was, they grimly reported, "the busiest we've seen it in a long, long time"..."Even pre-lockdown this would be a major day." And then for the punchline..."Expect major delays by car, or a six-minute cycle"...

By far my favourite reply was the person asking if these drive cycle updates were new...that was until I realised Brian O'Doherty wasn't a disgruntled driver put out by the fact those pesky cyclists were being catered for, but actually an impressed pesky cyclist himself...

It turns out DriveLive has been doing these since before the pandemic, and there was a bit of a theme in the replies...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-22-september-2021-286543#live-blog-item-27955