Tough new rules mean thousands more drivers are caught speeding – are you at risk?

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2022, 8:44:44 AM9/25/22
THOUSANDS more drivers face being fined over speeding after the Met Police cut its "speed tolerance" by 1mph.

New, tougher rules aiming to stamp out the offence mean that 347,000 drivers have been warned they will be prosecuted for driving to fast in the past six months.

This compares with just 97,000 in the six months running up to the change - a 259 per cent increase.

"Speed tolerance" guidelines set out the leeway motorists get for going over the limit.

Under the previous rules, cops set the prosecution threshold for speeders at 10 per cent of the speed limit plus 3mph.

This meant that those driving under 25mph in a 20 zone would not face action.

However, new guidance has reduced this to 10 per cent plus 2mph, cutting the boundary to 24mph in a 20 zone.

The new rules were introduced in May 2019, but not announced, and have led to a significant increase in speeding prosecution.

A statement from The Met said: "Posted speed limits are the maximum speed that road users should travel at any time... irrespective of the speed threshold that police commence enforcement action."

Other police forces still use the 'plus 3mph' formula but the National Police Chiefs Council says it intends to review national rules.

AA president Edmund King said tougher enforcement could lead to drivers using 'smart limiters' which restrict fuel supply and sound an alarm to get drivers to reduce their speed.

Mr King said: "If drivers struggle with the limits, most modern cars have speed limiters and often sat navs will flag up speed warnings.

"It is not worth chancing your licence or indeed a potential road collision by relying on unwritten levels of tolerance."

Meanwhile, Steve McNamara, general secretary of the Licensed Taxi Driver's Association, told The Times that there had been "an absolutely massive increase in taxi drivers receiving three, six, nine and 12 points in a three or four-week period"

He added that some of these drivers "have been driving 35 years as a professional driver without a single point on their licence."

Mr McNamara used the example of Park Lane, London where he claimed drivers were "getting aught at three o’clock in the morning for doing 23 miles an hour and losing their livelihood."

Park Lane used to have a 40mph limit.

Scotland Yard says that if a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle at 20mph, they are five times less likely to die from the crash than at 30mph.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19912384/tough-new-rules-thousands-more-drivers-caught-speeding/

Spike

Sep 25, 2022, 9:04:36 AM9/25/22

> https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19912384/tough-new-rules-thousands-more-drivers-caught-speeding/

….had been brought in to FINE motorists whose cars were deemed to be ‘too
hot’ inside due to summer temperatures.

Hysterical postings on this group were made at the time.

Anyone know of a case that actually got to court and resulted in a
sentence?

Thought not.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2022, 9:14:32 AM9/25/22
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 1:44:44 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> THOUSANDS more drivers face being fined over speeding after the Met Police cut its "speed tolerance" by 1mph.

War on the motorist alert - 1mph!

Brian

Sep 27, 2022, 3:48:34 AM9/27/22
Meanwhile, cyclists with inadequate or no brakes overtake cars, kill
pedestrians, and escape punishment, ride on pavements, hit children and
ride off, …

Spike

Sep 27, 2022, 4:59:44 AM9/27/22
Ah, but one must not do anything that would impede the take-up of, or
otherwise harm the image of, cycling. That’s why helmets are opposed with
such vigour; they would draw attention to the negative aspects of the
reckless behaviour of the cyclist.

So, innocent people will just have to continue to pay the price for lawless
cycling.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2022, 5:58:53 AM9/27/22

> QUOTE: However, new guidance has reduced this to 10 per cent plus 2mph, cutting the boundary to 24mph in a 20 zone. ENDS

24mph is still breaking the law.

Spike

Sep 27, 2022, 6:50:19 AM9/27/22
So is 23mph on an ebike. And the rider killed someone yet walked.

Kingsland High Street, in case you had blanked it out.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2022, 9:07:54 AM9/27/22
Thousands more drivers risk being caught breaking the speed limit and facing legal action, the RAC has warned. The motoring firm said stricter speeding rules had been brought in.

The Metropolitan Police has reduced its speed tolerance threshold, meaning thousands more drivers could be set to receive legal action. It will impact motorists in the capital and anybody taking their car to London.

According to the breakdown company, the Met has not "directly announced" any rule changes. But drivers now drivers face prosecution if they break the limit by 10 per cent plus 2mph. The tolerance limit was previously 10 per cent plus 3mph.

According to a report from This Is Money, the new rules could result in more than 347,000 drivers being prosecuted for speeding between January and June this year. This would be a 259 per cent increase compared to the six months before the new rules came into force.

The RAC said: "In UK driving law, a speed tolerance means that a driver gets a small amount of leeway for driving over the limit before a camera activates and a driver is penalised. The Met did state that no matter the threshold, all drivers should stick the speed limits and never exceed them."

The Met added: "Posted speed limits are the maximum speed that road users should travel at any time irrespective of the speed threshold that police commence enforcement action.”

Spike

Sep 27, 2022, 9:18:22 AM9/27/22
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2022, 11:55:22 AM9/27/22
QUOTE: Thousands more drivers risk being caught breaking the speed limit and facing legal action, the RAC has warned. The motoring firm said stricter speeding rules had been brought in. ENDS

Stricter = a 1mph lowering of speeding anyway!
War on the innocent motorist!

Spike

Sep 27, 2022, 6:14:48 PM9/27/22
It’s a case of ‘Look at me, I’m doing something already’ by a
newly-appointed Met Commissar.

Tackling knife crime is a bit more involved than blue-lighting between
‘hate crimes’.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 5:56:16 AM9/28/22
Like the sneaky CCTV in ASDA nabbing the "innocent" shoplifter.