Large vehicle may have crashed into controversial bike hangar, council says

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 9:10:29 AM1/30/23
BLOODY HELL - HOW DID THE "DRIVER" MISS THAT HUGE THING?

A controversial bike hangar, which incited a furious backlash from outraged motorists in November when it was installed in a car parking space, has been removed by Brighton and Hove City Council after it was crushed and damaged over the weekend by a suspected “large vehicle”.

The cycle hangar in Norfolk Square, one of 60 installed in the city since July 2022, appears to have been damaged while residents’ bikes were stored inside it (a photo of the damage, which seems to show a crack in the unit’s roof, causing the front of the hangar to pop out, can be found on the Argus’ website (link is external)).

However, the council has said that no bikes were damaged or stolen following the “unfortunate incident”, believed to have caused by a motorist, and that a replacement hangar will be delivered “soon”.

The new cycle hangars, which offer secure storage for six bicycles, have proven a somewhat surprising and enduring source of contention in Brighton and Hove in recent months.

> Hove woman persuades council not to locate “unattractive” cycle hangar outside her home

With 150 hangars expected to be rolled out across the city by the spring, and a waiting list stretching into the hundreds, they have proven hugely popular with many local residents looking for somewhere to securely store their bikes.

However, the units have also attracted the ire of some locals who claim that they are an eyesore and take up too much space, despite the hangars being able to fit in a space usually reserved for one car.

While opposition to the hangars appears to be spread across the city – earlier this month we reported that a group of unhappy residents surrounded contractors preparing to install one of the units in Hove – the hangar in Norfolk Square has undoubtedly generated the most outrage, both on social media and in the press.

> Council "investigating" after driver outrage at cycle hangar "deliberately" blocking car parking spaces

In November, we reported that the positioning of that particular hangar, taking up two residents permit car parking spaces, was met with such outrage that the council was forced to “investigate” its controversial placement.

One resident described the hangar’s installation as “madness” and as part of the “continuing war against motorists” apparently waged by Brighton and Hove City Council.

“It creates this hate between residents and car owners. I think it should be removed and put inside the square and that way there wouldn’t be a problem,” 72-year-old Bill Young said in November.

Judging by Young’s comments, it’s perhaps no surprise then that opponents of the cycle hangar scheme aren’t too displeased by its destruction and temporary disappearance in Norfolk Square.

“It looked as if a heavy weight had been dropped on the top, forcing the up and over lid to buckle and open at the bottom,” Laura King, who has consistently campaigned against the hangars on social media, told the Argus (link is external).

“It's good to see this hangar gone from Norfolk Square today and two stolen residential parking spaces back.”

> Residents “threatened with police” after “surrounding” contractors installing bike hangar

However, the council has insisted that a replacement hangar is on the way, though it’s not clear yet whether the forced removal of the original unit will prompt a rethink of its positioning in the square.

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council said: “This is a very unfortunate incident. Our contractor has now taken the damaged hangar away today and they will be delivering a replacement soon.

“At this stage it’s unclear what caused the damage, but our contractor believes a large vehicle may have crashed into it.

“We’re checking whether there is any CCTV footage that could help pinpoint the cause.

“Before removing the hangar our contractor got in touch with the residents whose bikes were in there. Our understanding is that no bikes were stolen or damaged.”

https://road.cc/content/news/large-vehicle-may-have-crashed-bike-hangar-298947

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 9:18:17 AM1/30/23
swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BLOODY HELL - HOW DID THE "DRIVER" MISS THAT HUGE THING?

Miss it he didn’t, did he!
--
Spike

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 9:32:29 AM1/30/23

> BLOODY HELL - HOW DID THE "DRIVER" MISS THAT HUGE THING?

What makes you ask that?

It obviously was NOT "missed".

It sounds more like a direct hit.

A passing, co-operative and accurately-aiming helicopter pilot, perhaps?
Perhaps the council needs to install CCTV cameras scanning the skies?

> A controversial fairy-bike bin, which incited a furious backlash from outraged motorists in November when it was installed in a car parking space, has been removed by Brighton and Hove City Council after it was crushed and damaged over the weekend by a suspected “large vehicle”.
> The fairy-cycle bin in Norfolk Square, one of 60 installed in the city since July 2022, appears to have been damaged while residents’ fairy-cycles were stored inside it (a photo of the damage, which seems to show a crack in the unit’s roof, causing the front of the bin to pop out, can be found on the Argus’ website (link is external)).
> However, the council has said that no fairy-cycles were damaged or stolen following the “unfortunate incident”,

Of course not. The fine upstanding people of Hove are not scofflaw
chavs... unlike fairy-cyclists.

> ...believed to have caused by a motorist, and that a replacement bin will be delivered “soon”.
> The new fairy-cycle bins, which offer secure storage for six fairy-bicycles, have proven a somewhat surprising and enduring source of contention in Brighton and Hove in recent months.
>> Hove woman persuades council not to locate “unattractive” fairy-cycle bin outside her home
> With 150 bins expected to be rolled out across the city by the spring, and a waiting list stretching into the hundreds, they have proven hugely popular with many local residents looking for somewhere to securely store their fairy-bikes.
> However, the units have also attracted the ire of some locals who claim that they are an eyesore and take up too much space, despite the bins being able to fit in a space usually reserved for one car.
> While opposition to the bins appears to be spread across the city – earlier this month we reported that a group of unhappy residents surrounded contractors preparing to install one of the units in Hove – the bin in Norfolk Square has undoubtedly generated the most outrage, both on social media and in the press.
>> Council "investigating" after driver outrage at fairy-cycle bin "deliberately" blocking car parking spaces
> In November, we reported that the positioning of that particular bin, taking up two residents permit car parking spaces, was met with such outrage that the council was forced to “investigate” its controversial placement.
> One resident described the bin’s installation as “madness” and as part of the “continuing war against motorists” apparently waged by Brighton and Hove City Council.
> “It creates this hate between residents and car owners. I think it should be removed and put inside the square and that way there wouldn’t be a problem,” 72-year-old Bill Young said in November.
> Judging by Young’s comments, it’s perhaps no surprise then that opponents of the fairy-cycle bin scheme aren’t too displeased by its destruction and temporary disappearance in Norfolk Square.

Would ANY sensible person see it as anything other than rather amusing? :-)

> “It looked as if a heavy weight had been dropped on the top, forcing the up and over lid to buckle and open at the bottom,” Laura King, who has consistently campaigned against the bins on social media, told the Argus (link is external).
> “It's good to see this bin gone from Norfolk Square today and two stolen residential parking spaces back.”
>> Residents “threatened with police” after “surrounding” contractors installing fairy-bike bin
> However, the council has insisted that a replacement bin is on the way, though it’s not clear yet whether the forced removal of the original unit will prompt a rethink of its positioning in the square.
> A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council said: “This is a very unfortunate incident. Our contractor has now taken the damaged bin away today and they will be delivering a replacement soon.
> “At this stage it’s unclear what caused the damage, but our contractor believes a large vehicle may have crashed into it.
> “We’re checking whether there is any CCTV footage that could help pinpoint the cause.
> “Before removing the bin our contractor got in touch with the residents whose fairy-bikes were in there. Our understanding is that no fairy-bikes were stolen or damaged.”

> https://road.cc/content/news/large-vehicle-may-have-crashed-bike-hangar-298947

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 11:50:19 AM1/30/23
> BLOODY HELL - HOW DID THE "DRIVER" MISS THAT HUGE THING?

giff77 | 1950 posts | 11 min ago
0 likes

Just wondering if Ms King would be rejoicing if it was her motor that was smashed up while parked up in one of the bays.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 11:57:50 AM1/30/23

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 1:31:32 PM1/30/23
But ‘a motor’ wasn’t smashed up….

You’re comparing apples and oranges.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 1:51:39 PM1/30/23
eburtthebike | 3996 posts | 4 hours ago
8 likes

I always find it incredible that one group of people can claim the rights to public space to store their private property, and are affronted and driven to hatred when other people do the same.

:-)

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 1:59:07 PM1/30/23
Mungecrundle | 2823 posts | 4 hours ago
1 like

And when it is replaced, hopefully with an additional crash resistant bollard.

"It's good to see this hangar returned to Norfolk Square today and six stolen residential cycle storage spaces back".

:-)

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 2:38:45 PM1/30/23

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 2:41:44 PM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 04:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...

...talking to himself, again, as usual, says:

> On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 4:50:19 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com...

...talking to himself, again, as usual, says:

>> On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 2:10:29 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> BLOODY HELL - HOW DID THE "DRIVER" MISS THAT HUGE THING?

>> Just wondering if Ms King would be rejoicing if it was her motor that was smashed up while parked up in one of the bays.

> https://i2-prod.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article15991971.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/0_JCR_BEM_180319crash004jpeg.jpg

Is that what the damaged fairy-cycle bin looks like?

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 2:44:47 PM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 07:38 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com>...

...talking to himself, again, as usual, says:

>> On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 4:50:19 PM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com...

...talking to himself, again, as usual, says:

That latter definitely worth seeing again. :-)

It brings a new meaning to "Quick Release", doesn't it?

The passing car driver was lucky not to have been hit by any of the
flying debris.

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 2:46:16 PM1/30/23

> I always find it incredible that one group of people can claim the rights to public space to store their private property, and are affronted and driven to hatred when other people do the same.

> :-)

Well, it's just that fairy-cyclists invariably have plenty of
fairy-cycle storage space in their kitchens or bedrooms.

Underwater is best, though, according to Del Boy Mason.

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 2:46:22 PM1/30/23
eburt is comparing apples and oranges.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 2:54:45 PM1/30/23
Laura King, who has consistently campaigned against the hangars on social media, told the Argus, "It's good to see this hangar gone from Norfolk Square today and two stolen residential parking spaces back."

She's really said the entitled bit out loud there. The parking spaces were stolen from them, were they? Funny, I thought the public highway was a communal resource.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 2:59:36 PM1/30/23
brooksby | 11060 posts | 5 hours ago
3 likes

It's the same as with wands/bollards for cycle lanes.

Council spends money to do something --->

some people throw their toys out of the pram (because it isn't being spent on them) and damage or remove the 'things' (wands/bike hangars) --->

council spends more money to replace/repair the 'things' --->

the same people then complain that the council is spending so much money.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 3:03:02 PM1/30/23
Replace the hangar with a large ugly 3.5 ton truck that the cyclists can store their bikes inside. The residents claiming that 2 parking spaces have been stolen will soon want the old hangar back.

Great idea. Reminds me of Adam Tranter's parklet van.

:-) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSOtPQkXoAA9eUN?format=jpg&name=small

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 3:05:43 PM1/30/23

> Laura King, who has consistently campaigned against the hangars on social media, told the Argus, "It's good to see this bike-bin gone from Norfolk Square today and two stolen residential parking spaces back."
>
> She's really said the entitled bit out loud there. The parking spaces were stolen from them, were they? Funny, I thought the public highway was a communal resource.

Fairy-cyclists are, as a rule, thick enough to need graphic descriptions
when having things patiently explained to them.

Simon Mason

Jan 30, 2023, 3:14:07 PM1/30/23
Almost!

You missed the multiple loops around missing budget spending deadlines of due to unfilled staff posts, more delays when staff leave, hiring external consultants (often staff who left...), the consultation with "stakeholders" blowing up because 3 parking spaces have gone, scheme being scaled back due to delays and push-back, final "consultation" with public which is ignored by everyone ... then finally we get to your step 2 when people wake up to find they can't park where they did before! THEY'RE ROBBING US BLIND AND TAKING OUR RIGHTS!

TBF - if your council is Edinburgh - in between all that they've managed to find 776 million for a tram scheme with only 1 line, which operates at a yearly loss of (checks) several million, and then pushed on with "completing" this for another 207 million (so far) for an extra 3 miles of line.

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 3:43:48 PM1/30/23
What a strange comment by Mungecrundle. The spaces are still there, it’s
just that they aren’t surrounded by an eyesore.

--
Spike

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 3:45:23 PM1/30/23
Therefore you can’t put cycle hangars on it!

--
Spike

Simon Mason

Jan 30, 2023, 3:50:42 PM1/30/23
IIRC there were only three motorists quoted at the time (who may indeed have been furious), one of them being the Laura King character whom someone on here (sorry, forgotten who) showed to be pretty much Brighton's serial complainer about absolutely everything.

When told there's "outrage" or a "huge backlash" about something I think it's always worth remembering the late Clive James' wise words: "It only takes half a dozen people to jam a switchboard with complaints, particularly if they have the number on speed dial and are hovering over the telephone just waiting for a chance to be outraged."

Simon Mason

Jan 30, 2023, 3:56:21 PM1/30/23
DRY YOUR EYES, YOU DOG IN A MANGER BREXTARDS. :-)

QUOTE: However, the council has insisted that a replacement hangar is on the way. ENDS

OF COURSE IT IS, OTHERWISE UNDEMOCRATIC VANDALISM "WINS".

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 4:33:32 PM1/30/23
HRH Prince Del Boy Mason <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Laura King, who has consistently campaigned against the hangars on social media, told the Argus, "It's good to see this hangar gone from Norfolk Square today and two stolen residential parking spaces back."
>
> She's really said the entitled bit out loud there. The parking spaces were stolen from them, were they? Funny, I thought the public highway was a communal resource.

They were stolen from everyone who might have had a use from them.
That's what happens when a communal resource is arrogated by the...
er... arrogant.

Simon Mason

Jan 30, 2023, 4:40:38 PM1/30/23
HarrogateSpa | 1403 posts | 7 hours ago
3 likes

We'll know we live in a civilised country the day journalists can refer to a 'bike hangar' not a 'controversial bike bike hangar.'

INDEED.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 4:45:05 PM1/30/23
A cycle hangar is on-street parking for up to 6 bikes that residents can rent a space from. The Hangars are covered, secure and accessible via an easily downloaded app or a lock and key.

As part of our ongoing work to support active and sustainable travel, we are rolling out a programme of installing on-road cycle hangars for residents to park their bikes securely near their homes.

The cycle hangars are the size of approximately one parking space, and they can store 6 standard sized bicycles. Some car parking spaces may be repurposed to accommodate the cycle hangars.

They will be dark green with reflective strips on the sides for extra visibility.

The stands inside are equipped for you to lock your bike at 2 points in the hanger. The Council or Falco UK Ltd cannot accept responsibility for bicycles stolen from the cycle hangars.

The first cycle hangars will be installed in the city in Summer 2022. The hangars will be rolled out in batches of 15 to 20 across the city at a time.
Why we're installing cycle hangars

With many residents living in shared accommodation, flats or houses where storage space is at a premium, it can be difficult to find secure cycle storage. This can be a major barrier to those wishing to travel by bike. Storage can be especially challenging if you use an adapted cycle. People can also face difficulties manoeuvring their cycles from inside their home onto the street outside.

Some cycle hangars installed may have the option of storing large, adapted bicycles or cargo bikes. The below picture is an example of a what the cycle hangars look like, however the design may differ slightly.

How much it costs

There is a charge of around £1 a week per cycle space within the hangars. You can pay for this 3, 6 or 12 months at a time.
Where the cycle hangars will be

The locations are chosen based on:

the number of requests in the area
availability of current storage
propensity to cycle and levels of cycle theft in the area

We received significant requests for cycle hangars in a survey conducted in November 2021. We are working hard to go through these requests and provide hangars for as many residents as possible. We will then ask for further requests from residents at a later date.

If you live within view of a proposed cycle hangar, you will receive a letter through the post. Cycle hangars proposed on the street will be advertised through the usual Traffic Regulation Order process.

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 5:03:55 PM1/30/23
That’s ‘green’ programs for you….

The Manchester bike hire scheme cost £436 for each 1.6 mile journey, for
its first 100,000km (Manchester’s mixed units).

So by the 1,000,000km mark, the cost will have come down to £43:60 per 1.6
mile journey

By the 10,000,000km mark, costs will be down to £4:36 per 1.6 mile journey.

But the bikes will have worn out several times over; they will have needed
spares and repairs; and then there’s the management costs.

And this is a success! On some planet far, far away…

--
Spike

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 5:03:56 PM1/30/23
“Violence is the answer!”, claim cyclists.

Until it’s visited on them…then it’s Totally Different.

--
Spike

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 5:10:49 PM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 09:40 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> HarrogateSpa | 1403 posts | 7 hours ago
> 3 likes
>
> We'll know we live in a civilised country the day journalists can refer to a 'fairy-bike bin' [and] not a 'controversial bike bike hangar.'
>
> INDEED.

FIFY

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 5:20:08 PM1/30/23

> A fairy-cycle bin is on-street parking for up to 6 fairy-bikes that residents can rent a space from.

What strangulated English.

Whatever happened to "from which" (or even, given the context, "in which")?

> The bins are covered, secure

Are you sure?

The one we heard about didn't sound too secure, did it?

> and accessible via an easily downloaded app or a lock and key.
> As part of our ongoing work to support active and sustainable travel, we are rolling out a programme of installing on-road fairy-bike bins for residents to park their fairy-bikes securely near their homes.
>
> The fairy-cycle bins are the size of approximately one parking space, and they can store 6 standard sized fairy-bicycles. Some car parking spaces may be repurposed [read: purloined] to accommodate the fairy-cycle bins.
>
> They will be dark green with reflective strips on the sides for extra visibility.
>
> The stands inside are equipped for you to lock your fairy-bike at 2 points in the bin. The Council or Falco UK Ltd cannot accept responsibility for fairy-bicycles stolen from the fairy-cycle bins.

Of course not. Relatively frequent news reports about thefts of
fairy-cycles (and even direct robberies in which their owners are
relieved of them) make it clear that fully-qualified fairy-cyclists are
prepared to steal fairy-cycles, among other things.

> The first fairy-cycle bins will be installed in the city in Summer 2022. The bins will be rolled out in batches of 15 to 20 across the city at a time.
> Why we're installing fairy-cycle bins
>
> With many residents living in shared accommodation, flats or houses where storage space is at a premium, it can be difficult to find secure fairy-cycle storage.

What about the kitchen?

Or the bedroom?

Mason can tell you how even the dog crap caught in the tyres isn't a
real problem in his kitchen.

> This can be a major barrier to those wishing to travel by fairy-bike. Storage can be especially challenging if you use an adapted cycle. People can also face difficulties manoeuvring their fairy-cycles from inside their home onto the street outside.

Why don't they just park their fairy-cycles on their driveways?

> Some fairy-cycle bins installed may have the option of storing large, adapted bicycles or cargo bikes. The below picture is an example of a what the fairy-cycle bins look like, however the design may differ slightly.
>
> How much it costs
>
> There is a charge of around £1 a week per fairy-cycle space within the bins. You can pay for this 3, 6 or 12 months at a time.
> Where the fairy-cycle bins will be
>
> The locations are chosen based on:
>
> the number of requests in the area
> availability of current storage
> propensity to fairy-cycle and levels of fairy-cycle theft in the area
>
> We received significant requests for fairy-cycle bins in a survey conducted in November 2021. We are working hard to go through these requests and provide bins for as many residents as possible. We will then ask for further requests from residents at a later date.
>
> If you live within view of a proposed fairy-cycle bin, you will receive a letter through the post. Fairy-cycle bins proposed on the street will be advertised through the usual Traffic Regulation Order process.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 1:16:38 AM1/31/23

St Leonard’s Road resident Janice Goodlet asked Brighton and Hove City Council why bike hangars were being placed directly outside people’s homes after one was proposed for directly outside her house.

Two hangars for the street in Hove were among 11 considered by the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday evening (15 November).

The recommendations followed a public consultation into on-street secure bicycle storage in last November.

Seven residents asked for the hangars a year ago but, during a recent public consultation on a draft “traffic regulation order” to instal the hangar, six neighbours objected.

Ms Goodlet asked councillors: “How did the council officers take into account the negative and distressing impact a large unattractive structure like the cycle hangar would have on the unfortunate residents living in the house where it is to be located, bearing in mind that the resident will have absolutely no control over this immovable structure?”

Green councillor Steve Davis, who co-chairs the committee, said that sites for the hangars had been chosen based on a number of factors including residents’ demands, drainage, existing street furniture and the slope of the road.

He said that the committee tried to listen people’s views and address serious concerns.

Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth asked the committee to remove the two St Leonard’s Road hangars from the latest installation programme – and Labour councillors supported his proposal.

At least one resident had said that they would welcome a hangar outside their home – and he offered to pass on their details.

Most homes in the street had front and back gardens where residents could store their bikes safely, he told the committee.

Councillor Nemeth said: “I would expect bins and other non-beautiful items of street furniture to be located at the ends of roads when they’re not directly outside anybody’s house. In this instance, these locations have been shunned.”

Green councillor Elaine Hills, who co-chairs the committee, said that people had asked for the hangars and failing to instal them went against the “spirit” of the scheme.

Fellow Green councillor Jamie Lloyd said: “You do get pushback. You do get people who think these are going to be a huge imposition on their lives while seemingly ignoring the Range Rovers that are half parked on the pavement.

“What is a cycle hangar compared with a car parked on the pavement? People have requested this. They want somewhere safe to keep a bike.”

A cycle hangar in Warleigh Road in Brighton

Even without the St Leonard’s hangars, nine more will be installed in five streets across Brighton and Hove – Cissbury Road, Clermont Terrace, Chesham Street, Kingsley Road and Islingword Place.

During the latest consultation, most objections related to hangars placed directly outside houses.

The council removed four other roads from the list of potential sites – Burton Villas and The Drive, in Hove, and Dudley Road and Franklin Street, in Brighton. Officials will seek alternative sites.

So far, 60 cycle hangars have been installed across Brighton and Hove, the committee was told. Of the 360 spaces, 353 are taken and almost 500 people are on the waiting list.

During the November 2021 consultation, more than 2,000 people responded with requests for hangars in 525 streets.

Council officials prioritised areas with a high number of cycle thefts where people lived in flats or houses without cycle storage.

JNugent

Jan 31, 2023, 7:18:46 AM1/31/23
On 31/01/2023 06:16 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> St Leonard’s Road resident Janice Goodlet asked Brighton and Hove City Council why fairy-bike bins were being placed directly outside people’s homes after one was proposed for directly outside her house.

Noise, disturbance, conflict, mysterious appearance of dollops of human
faeces, 24/7. Right outside her house. Who needs it?

> Two bins for the street in Hove were among 11 considered by the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday evening (15 November).
> The recommendations followed a public consultation into on-street secure fairy-bicycle storage in last November.

The council (run by a collection of nutters, of course) plainly didn't
consult that resident.

After all, if there are plenty of residents in favour of the fairy-cycle
bins, you'd expect that it would be their houses chosen as the bin-sites.

> Seven residents asked for the bins a year ago but, during a recent public consultation on a draft “traffic regulation order” to instal the bin, six neighbours objected.

Put the bin outside the house of one of its supporters.

> Ms Goodlet asked councillors: “How did the council officers take into account the negative and distressing impact a large unattractive structure like the fairy-cycle bin would have on the unfortunate residents living in the house where it is to be located, bearing in mind that the resident will have absolutely no control over this immovable structure?”
>
> Green [Nutter] councillor Steve Davis, who co-chairs the committee, said that sites for the bins had been chosen based on a number of factors including residents’ demands, the objective of being spiteful against those who had objected), drainage, existing street furniture and the slope of the road.
>
> He said that the committee tried to listen people’s views and address serious concerns.

haha!

Greens "listening" to the public!

> Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth asked the committee to remove the two St Leonard’s Road bins from the latest installation programme – and Labour councillors supported his proposal.

Well that *is* encouraging.

Perhaps the lunatics are not yet quite in control of the asylum.

> At least one resident had said that they would welcome a bin outside their home – and he offered to pass on their details.

See?

But the Greens won't accept that. It doesn't allow enough spite to be
wielded.

> Most homes in the street had front and back gardens where residents could store their fairy-bikes safely, he told the committee.

So why are fairy-bike bins needed?

Other than to take up parking spaces and deny them to normal people, I mean?

> Councillor Nemeth said: “I would expect bins and other non-beautiful items of street furniture to be located at the ends of roads when they’re not directly outside anybody’s house. In this instance, these locations have been shunned.”
>
> Green [Nutter] councillor Elaine Hills, who co-chairs the committee, said that people had asked for the hangars and failing to instal them went against the “spirit” of the scheme.

The "spirit" being spitefulness and denial of parking spaces.

> Fellow Green [Nutter] councillor Jamie Lloyd said: “You do get pushback. You do get people who think these are going to be a huge imposition on their lives while seemingly ignoring the Range Rovers that are half parked on the pavement.
>
> “What is a fairy-cycle bin compared with a car parked on the pavement?

A 24/7 eyesore and source of constant noise/disturbance and a decidedly
odd human smell?

> People have requested this. They want somewhere safe to keep a bike.”

Let them use their kitchens or bathrooms. Fairy-cyclists often appear to
have no other uses for bathrooms, after all.

> A fairy-cycle bin in Warleigh Road in Brighton
>
> Even without the St Leonard’s bins, nine more will be installed in five streets across Brighton and Hove – Cissbury Road, Clermont Terrace, Chesham Street, Kingsley Road and Islingword Place.
>
> During the latest consultation, most objections related to bins placed directly outside houses.
>
> The council removed four other roads from the list of potential sites – Burton Villas and The Drive, in Hove, and Dudley Road and Franklin Street, in Brighton. Officials will seek alternative sites.
>
> So far, 60 fairy-cycle bins have been installed across Brighton and Hove, the committee was told. Of the 360 spaces, 353 are taken and almost 500 people are on the waiting list.

Are there really 500 people who don't have kitchens or bathrooms in
which to store their fairy-bikes?

> During the November 2021 consultation, more than 2,000 people responded with requests for bins in 525 streets.
>
> Council officials prioritised areas with a high number of fairy-cycle thefts where people lived in flats or houses without fairy-cycle storage.

Rubbish. They all have kitchens and bathrooms. Some fairy-cyclists BOAST
of storing their fairy-bikes in their kitchen.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 7:57:30 AM1/31/23
My favourite from the Argus comments:

moveiton wrote:

Don't remove a parking space for it, which is precious in that area.
Place it on the double yellows, make room for it.
Then I doubt there will be any more damage.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 8:05:44 AM1/31/23

A B
wrote: What are the profit / loss projections for the cycle stores? Six bikes and a pound a week (if the article is correct) means at the most they can generate £312 per year. As well as the cost and maintenance of the stores they should also include any loss of parking fees.

BHCC are second in the country for income from parking and parking enforcement. Perhaps some of the enforcement officers could enforce parking legislation along Western Road, where business owners routinely flout the law, which would improve traffic flow without resorting to fancy and expensive schemes and also compensate for lack of revenue. One employee of an estate agent told me that it is cheaper to pay a fine on the, rare occasion he is issued one, than buy an annual permit. Another parks on the pavement on the Western Road / Montpelier Road intersection as officers are powerless to take action.