Near Miss of the Day 650: Peugeot van driver nearly hits cyclist head-on on road in Surrey Hills

swldx...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2021, 10:22:49 AM11/1/21
The cyclist on the receiving end of this close pass in the Surrey Hills last week described the driving of a van driver as “incredibly reckless and selfish” – and once you’ve viewed the footage, it’s impossible to disagree.

It was filmed by road.cc reader Jeremy on Sunday 24 October. He told us: “Staple Lane is a stunning climb from East Clandon across the A246 towards Shere and the Surrey Hills.

“The hedgerows are high and Staple Lane narrow and steep with a blind corner towards the bottom.

“You don’t expect to see a Black Peugeot van hurtling towards you and narrowly miss head-on at 0823am.

“It was incredibly reckless and selfish driving on such a narrow lane popular with cyclists,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-650-peugeot-van-driver-nearly-hits-cyclist-head-287459

J Nugent

Nov 24, 2021, 9:11:22 PM11/24/21
On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 9:22:49 AM UTC-5, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The fairy-cyclist on the receiving end of this close pass in the Surrey Hills last week described the driving of a van driver as “incredibly reckless and selfish” – and once you’ve viewed the footage, it’s impossible to disagree.
> It was filmed by road.cc "reader" Jeremy on Sunday 24 October. He told us: “Staple Lane is a stunning climb from East Clandon across the A246 towards Shere and the Surrey Hills.
> “The hedgerows are high and Staple Lane narrow and steep with a *****blind***** corner towards the bottom.
> “You don’t expect to see a Black Peugeot van hurtling towards you and narrowly miss head-on at 0823am.
> “It was incredibly reckless and selfish driving on such a narrow lane popular with fairy-cyclists,” he added.

> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-650-peugeot-van-driver-nearly-hits-cyclist-head-287459

The van seems very close to the grass verge on his own side of the road. Did Jeremy not pause to think that 08:23 am is a time of day when many people are travelling to, or as part of, their work?

And what does the route's popularity with fairy-cyclists have to do with anything?

swldx...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2021, 6:03:05 AM11/25/21
belugabob | 64 posts | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

I see this on a daily basis, as I drive along narrow-ish roads up and along the North Downs to Biggin Hill.
Almost nobody slows down when approaching oncoming vehicles. Nor do they make use of the periodical wider spots, to facilitate easier passes, or yield to vehicles coming uphill (and they are very steep hills)
All of this is involving car vs car/van Interactions, so given that they don't seem to be bothered by the prospect of a head on collision that may actually endanger themselves, expecting them to be bothered by the prospect of wiping out a cyclist, with very little danger to themselves, is wishful thinking.

Society is going right down the pan