Biker nearly killed himself and cyclist in Caerphilly horror crash

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 1:28:40 AM1/28/23
A TEENAGER biker who had been pulling wheelies nearly killed himself and a cyclist after ploughing into him on a busy dual carriageway.

Iestyn Lazenby was just 17 when he crashed into 78-year-old Phillip Thomas on Nantgarw Hill in Caerphilly after speeding and weaving in and out of traffic.

He and his victim were left with devastating injuries after the horror crash at just after 1.15pm on the afternoon of Thursday, April 28 last year.

Both men are “lucky to be alive”, Newport Crown Court was told.

The crash happened on the A468 at Nantgarw Hill at a time when the weather was fine and driving conditions good. Picture: Google

Mr Thomas spent six months in hospital after suffering broken ribs, a fractured pelvis, shoulder and leg as well as a ruptured spleen.

Lazenby lost his left arm below his elbow and he has sustained a brain injury.

Had Laura Camilleri, a nurse who happened to be at the scene, not administered CPR, the defendant might not be here today.

Mr Thomas was hit as he was crossing the dual carriage after getting off his bicycle and it was estimated that Lazenby was travelling at more than 70mph at the point of impact.

The defendant had been pulling wheelies just before the crash.

Jac Brown, prosecuting, said: “He was travelling at almost twice the speed limit.

“The defendant was described as riding the motorbike erratically and aggressively, revving his engine and weaving in and out of traffic

“A witness described him hitting the victim square on at the crossing and there was no sign of emergency braking.

“Mr Thomas is very lucky to be alive.

“He was a vulnerable road user as he was a cyclist.”

Lazenby, who has since turned 18, had not passed his driving test and held only a provisional licence.

His Kawasaki motorbike was in a "dangerous" condition and he had no rear brakes.

In a victim impact statement, Mr Thomas described his experience as “devastating” but added he bore no malice towards Lazenby.

“I just want him to know how close we both came to a tragic end,” he said

“I know I’m lucky to be alive.

“I don’t think I will be able to walk comfortably ever again.

“But I do hope to get back on my bike one day.”

Lazenby, of Brookfield Avenue, Rhymney, Caerphilly, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving with no insurance.

He had no previous convictions.

David Rees, representing him, said Lazenby now has the brain of “someone who is 50 to 60 years his senior”.

Judge Wayne Beard told the defendant: “Mr Thomas is a courageous individual and his lack of ill-will towards you speaks volumes to his character.

“Your offending is aggravated by the dangerous state of your vehicle.”

The defendant was sentenced to years in a young offender institution but that term was suspended for 18 months.

Lazenby was banned from driving for three years and ordered to pay a £187 victim surcharge.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/23281647.biker-nearly-killed-cyclist-caerphilly-horror-crash/

JNugent

Jan 28, 2023, 1:31:22 PM1/28/23
On 28/01/2023 06:28 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A TEENAGER biker who had been pulling wheelies nearly killed himself and a cyclist after ploughing into him on a busy dual carriageway.
>
> Iestyn Lazenby was just 17 when he crashed into 78-year-old Phillip Thomas on Nantgarw Hill in Caerphilly after speeding and weaving in and out of traffic.
>
> He and his victim were left with devastating injuries after the horror crash at just after 1.15pm on the afternoon of Thursday, April 28 last year.
>
> Both men are “lucky to be alive”, Newport Crown Court was told.
>
> The crash happened on the A468 at Nantgarw Hill at a time when the weather was fine and driving conditions good. Picture: Google
>
> Mr Thomas spent six months in hospital after suffering broken ribs, a fractured pelvis, shoulder and leg as well as a ruptured spleen.
>
> Lazenby lost his left arm below his elbow and he has sustained a brain injury.
>
> Had Laura Camilleri, a nurse who happened to be at the scene, not administered CPR, the defendant might not be here today.
>
> Mr Thomas was hit as he was crossing the dual carriage after getting off his bicycle and it was estimated that Lazenby was travelling at more than 70mph at the point of impact.
>
> The defendant had been pulling wheelies just before the crash.
>
> Jac Brown, prosecuting, said: “He was travelling at almost twice the speed limit.
>
> “The defendant was described as riding the motorbike erratically and aggressively, revving his engine and weaving in and out of traffic
>
> “A witness described him hitting the victim square on at the crossing and there was no sign of emergency braking.
>
> “Mr Thomas is very lucky to be alive.
>
> “He was a vulnerable road user as he was a cyclist.”
>
> Lazenby, who has since turned 18, had not passed his driving test and held only a provisional licence.
>
> His Kawasaki motorbike was in a "dangerous" condition and he had no rear brakes.

He's a bit of an Alliston fan, then?

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 2:04:16 PM1/28/23
KoronaVyrus 17 hrs ago
User ID: 2077744
F'n joke of a sentence. Ban him from riding and driving for life and send him to prison for 5 years minimum. Absolute pillock, shame he survived.

Phantom Phlan Phlinger 27th January 4:44 pm
User ID: 622136
Pity he just lost his arm.
No sympathy for him or his injuries.

Sausage rocket 27th January 8:54 pm
User ID: 3927855
From a pure voyeuristic indulgence I looked him up on Facebook. He was banging on about rolling spliffs. Bet he's having a hard time with that hobby now.

Spike

Jan 28, 2023, 2:30:45 PM1/28/23
swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote

> KoronaVyrus 17 hrs ago
> User ID: 2077744

> F'n joke of a sentence. Ban him from riding and driving for life and send
> him to prison for 5 years minimum. Absolute pillock, shame he survived.

I thought much the same about the Kingsland High Road ebike killer, but he
walked without any sentence at all. How fair is that?

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 3:02:13 PM1/28/23
SJay 27th January 5:05 pm
User ID: 3757613
Motorcyclists shouldn't be allowed to drive on a provisional license u should have to do the same as in a car. U need to know the road signs and stick to them. Why can someone spend a few £ for a provisional card n them be allowed behind a weapon. I know this lad was messing about but many motorists don't obey the rules of the road with a licence n I worry putting inexperienced people on the road on top of this is silly. What do u expect. A teen can buy a card put an L plate on a bike n that's it. The government needs to change. To help save lives.

Spike

Jan 28, 2023, 6:05:33 PM1/28/23
The government should ban stairs. Nearly a thousand people die each year
from falling down stairs.

The government should ban homes. 6000 people a year die in the home, most
in the lounge. Perhaps domestic lounges should be banned.

--
Spike

Peter Granger

Jan 28, 2023, 7:22:13 PM1/28/23
On Saturday, 28 January 2023 at 19:04:16 UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> KoronaVyrus 17 hrs ago
> User ID: 2077744
> F'n joke of a sentence. Ban him from riding and driving for life and send him to prison for 5 years minimum. Absolute pillock, shame he survived.

“Shame he survived”? Go and say that to his mother’s face, you absolute see-you-next-Tuesday. What is wrong with you? Did you never do anything stupid (even more so than now) as a kid? Would you have still wished death upon him if he had just “nearly hit” the fairy-cyclist, or even if he hadn’t, just for daring to ride a “weapon” at all?

You’re the weapon, and that’s putting it mildly. A second chance at life after committing a grossly reckless, dangerous, and selfish act, and you “spend” it lamenting that others who have been reckless also survived.

You, unlike him, were of an age where you should have long since grown out of making such irresponsible decisions. His brain isn’t fully formed; yours is as fully formed as it’s ever going to get, even if it’s unfinished and there were many unfortunate errors in the building process.

Get help and reevaluate your choices while there’s still time. You know I’m right.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 1:30:39 AM1/29/23
Magor 28th January 10:56 am
User ID: 138965
Been riding bikes on and off for years but cant see the point of riding on one wheel.

A view from both side 27th January 7:11 pm
User ID: 1163591
Should have chucked him inside , would be arm less in there.

Vintagebsa 28th January 12:25 pm
User ID: 4062322
Many motorists on 2 or more wheels don,t obey the rules of the road ,its the person in control not license rule.

triste 27th January 4:32 pm
User ID: 1488106
This guy is not a true biker, just a little pillock on a baby motorcycle.

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 4:40:28 AM1/29/23
What a masterful collection of written English.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 6:36:09 AM1/29/23
"Hope to get back on a bike soon"
Lets hope the harshness of your actions bleed though that ultra thick bone on your shoulders and you realise that without an arm, you are useless as a biker and you should stick to your motability car you'll leech off us taxpayers - Then get banned again for driving like a tool AGAIN.

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 7:16:49 AM1/29/23
Some people manage to overcome their difficulties.

One legless fighter pilot shot down 17 enemy aircraft in the Battle of
Britain.

This biker ain’t doing bad with just one arm…

<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1NbDJL4Sc>

(Trigger Warning: riding exhibition of a powerful motorcycle by a rider
with only one arm).

Eat crap, you vindictive little man.

--
Spike

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 8:53:40 AM1/29/23

> KoronaVyrus 17 hrs ago
> User ID: 2077744
> F'n joke of a sentence. Ban him from riding and driving for life and send him to prison for 5 years minimum. Absolute pillock, shame he survived.

From which particular charm-school did that fairy-cyclist graduate?

> Phantom Phlan Phlinger 27th January 4:44 pm
> User ID: 622136
> Pity he just lost his arm.

From which particular charm-school did that fairy-cyclist graduate?

> No sympathy for him or his injuries.
>
> Sausage rocket 27th January 8:54 pm
> User ID: 3927855
> From a pure voyeuristic indulgence I looked him up on Facebook. He was banging on about rolling spliffs. Bet he's having a hard time with that hobby now.

Tell Collins.

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 8:57:58 AM1/29/23

> SJay 27th January 5:05 pm
> User ID: 3757613
> Motorcyclists shouldn't be allowed to drive on a provisional license u should have to do the same as in a car.

Ideally, you're correct.

But many "motor-cycles" don't have a pillion seat.

How would the accompanying qualified rider be accommodated?

> U need to know the road signs and stick to them. Why can someone spend a few £ for a provisional card n them be allowed behind a weapon.

Ohhh... stupidity, even when you were trying to be reasonable.

What is it with fairy-cyclists that prevents their minds working properly?

> I know this lad was messing about but many motorists don't obey the rules of the road with a licence n I worry putting inexperienced people on the road on top of this is silly. What do u expect. A teen can buy a card put an L plate on a bike n that's it. The government needs to change. To help save lives.

Actually, motor-cyclists are among the best and most courteous of
road-users. They never obstruct the road and they rarely whinge about
other classes of road-user.

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 8:59:24 AM1/29/23
On 29/01/2023 12:22 am, Peter Granger wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> KoronaVyrus:
>> User ID: 2077744

>> F'n joke of a sentence. Ban him from riding and driving for life and send him to prison for 5 years minimum. Absolute pillock, shame he survived.

> “Shame he survived”? Go and say that to his mother’s face, you absolute see-you-next-Tuesday.

My reaction exactly.

> What is wrong with you? Did you never do anything stupid (even more so than now) as a kid? Would you have still wished death upon him if he had just “nearly hit” the fairy-cyclist, or even if he hadn’t, just for daring to ride a “weapon” at all?
> You’re the weapon, and that’s putting it mildly. A second chance at life after committing a grossly reckless, dangerous, and selfish act, and you “spend” it lamenting that others who have been reckless also survived.
> You, unlike him, were of an age where you should have long since grown out of making such irresponsible decisions. His brain isn’t fully formed; yours is as fully formed as it’s ever going to get, even if it’s unfinished and there were many unfortunate errors in the building process.
> Get help and reevaluate your choices while there’s still time. You know I’m right.

Very well said.

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 9:00:24 AM1/29/23
On 29/01/2023 06:30 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Magor 28th January 10:56 am
> User ID: 138965
> Been riding bikes on and off for years but cant see the point of riding on one wheel.

Years ago, someone claiming to be a unicyclist used to post here.

I just mention that out of interest.

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 9:01:51 AM1/29/23
> What a masterful collection of written English...

...by sub-normals.

They're fairy-cyclists. What did you expect?

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 9:11:29 AM1/29/23
On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 11:36:09 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> "Hope to get back on a bike soon"
> Lets hope the harshness of your actions bleed though that ultra thick bone on your shoulders and you realise that without an arm, you are useless as a biker and you should stick to your motability car you'll leech off us taxpayers - Then get banned again for driving like a tool AGAIN.

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT THE CYCLIST, AS THE M/BIKER WILL NEVER RIDE AGAIN.

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 10:28:39 AM1/29/23
They said the same about the young RAF pilot that lost his legs when he
crashed a fighter in 1929.

In 1939, he was re-assessed as a pilot, being awarded the very rare
‘Exceptional’ rating. His first operational sortie was over Dunkirk in
1940, where he shot down an Me109. He finished the war with 17.5 kills.

As far as bikers go, try this:

<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1NbDJL4Sc>

Now ask yourself: what are you Exceptional at?

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 11:40:40 AM1/29/23
gaz ubique 27th January 6:38 pm
User ID: 4238846
He's not a "Biker" he's a Chav yob with no brains, no common sense, no training and no road sense,on an unroadworthy machine. Sentence IMHO is far too lenient. He could easily have killed the other gentleman , riding like a bell end, popping wheelies at speed in traffic. Honestly, it's a shame the wretch survived tbh

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 12:50:28 PM1/29/23

> gaz ubique 27th January 6:38 pm
> User ID: 4238846

> He's not a "Biker" he's a Chav yob with no brains, no common sense, no training and no road sense,on an unroadworthy machine. Sentence IMHO is far too lenient. He could easily have killed the other gentleman , riding like a bell end, popping wheelies at speed in traffic.

Round here, you only ever see fairy-cyclists doing that (juvenile ones
at that).

> Honestly, it's a shame the wretch survived tbh

Round here, you only ever hear degenerate fairy-cyclists expressing
outrageous and callous opinions like that.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 1:11:12 PM1/29/23
Ticked all the boxes with one spot-on post there.

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 1:13:11 PM1/29/23
On 29/01/2023 06:11 pm, swldx...@gmail.com...
You callous ****.

Simon Mason

Jan 29, 2023, 1:15:20 PM1/29/23
Missed out child killer.

Simon Mason

Jan 29, 2023, 1:18:03 PM1/29/23
BASTARDS

The young boy who lost his leg in a horror crash as he walked in a Hull park with his family has given a moving account of that fateful day for the first time.

Six-months-after Max Clark suffered the life-changing injuries, he has written a remarkable account of the day and the events that followed.

The 10-year-old had to have his leg amputated below the knee after being hit by a motorbike on Bank Holiday Monday in Rosmead Park, near Southcoates Lane, east Hull on May 25.

Max has written his own newspaper report of what happened to him that day when he was just nine years old, after pupils at his school were asked to write an article.
Max Clark lost a leg six months ago

In his own words, under the headline, '9-year-old boy loses leg in crazy accident', he wrote: "Max was with his family in a Hull park when he was hit by a motorbike.

"It was a bright, sunny bank holiday with me and my friends. I got on the climbing frame and played and played and played when I saw my sister Molly doing her dance comp practice so I went over to see her.

"I turned around to see Dad jumping on the stools so I went over but then a motorbike came round at like infinite speed and hit me as hard as a house swinging at me.

"The next thing I know is that I am lying on the floor, it really hurts like I'm dying. I can see my brother and sister getting in the car where it was parked so they couldn't see me in pain.

"It was hard, my mum was crying, my dad was covering me up with a blanket trying to not let me see it, so I don't see it.

"My mum called the ambulance and they were on the way but I was in pain, I wanted them here now. It hurts.

"Finally I saw them coming in the drive and came on the grass next to me. "They pulled out a bed and tried to get me on it, it really hurt at that time but I got in it and they put my detached foot in a plastic bag.

"The bed got pulled in the ambulance and we set off.

"It was a bumpy ride. I was very tired for some reason and I nearly fell asleep but I didn't.

"We finally arrived at the big buildings, it was the hospital. I could hear the loud sirens in my ear.

"The bed was moving and rocking to each side of the ambulance, we are pulling in now.

"They stopped and pulled the bed out, we went into a room with lots of buttons, with lots of beeping sounds and with a lot of doctors surrounding me.

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 1:38:30 PM1/29/23
The young RAF pilot that crashed his fighter causing him to lose both his
legs had a very similar account of his hospitalisation. In 1929, though,
there were no electronic monitoring devices, no MRI, no CT, no antibiotics;
it was all rather different.

Due to the pain they gave him increasing amounts of morphine, until they
could give him no more. The pain went on, for days, until one morning. He
woke, he was warm, comfortable, and the pain had gone. Somewhere, a nurse
shut a door with a bang, and the young pilot heard someone say “Quiet!
There’s a boy dying in there”.

“Who’s dying?” thought the pilot, then suddenly he realised he was the one
that was passing away.

Instantly, the pain returned, for days and days….

In 1940, be led a fighter squadron in the Battle of Britain, survived the
war, and became a strong champion for the disabled, being knighted for his
services.

He could have become bitter and twisted, but chose a different path.
--
Spike

Simon Mason

Jan 29, 2023, 1:41:54 PM1/29/23
On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 18:18:03 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> BASTARDS

QUOTE: In his own words, under the headline, '9-year-old boy loses leg in crazy accident', he wrote: "Max was with his family in a Hull park when he was hit by a motorbike. ENDS

Was it an "accident" that he chose to drive on a footpath?

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 2:50:38 PM1/29/23

Was it an ‘accident’ the cyclist was speeding along a towpath?

<MasonMode>
BASTARD CYCLIST
<MasonModeOff>

Woman, 80s, dies after being hit by cyclist

Thames Valley Police said that the woman was hit by a dark grey Btwin
hybrid bicycle on the towpath at Iffley Lock at around 12.40pm on November
20.

She was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for further
treatment, but she died on Friday (December 2).

The police said that the cyclist was unhurt, and no arrests have been made.

Officers are now appealing for witnesses following the incident.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Ian Stevens, of the joint
operations roads policing unit, said: “First and foremost, my thoughts are
with the family and friends of the woman who has tragically died as a
result of this collision.

“Her next of kin are being offered support at this extremely difficult
time.

“I am appealing for anyone else who witnessed this collision to please come
forward.

“We have been informed the tow path was busy at the time of the collision
with pedestrians walking approximately 10 metres behind the woman at the
time of the collision as well as further pedestrians walking 10 metres in
front of her.

“As such we believe there are witnesses to this collision and wish to speak
to them to establish the events leading to this collision.

“Anyone with information should call 101 or make a report on our website,
quoting reference number 43220523002.”
--
Spike

Simon Mason

Jan 29, 2023, 2:52:15 PM1/29/23
Or drive at "top speed" into young pedestrian children, maiming them for life?

JNugent

Jan 29, 2023, 3:55:52 PM1/29/23
You are talking about that fully-qualified fairy-cyclist (no licence, no
insurance, no skill, no training, no qualification, no thought for
anyone but himself - IOW, a typical fully-qualified fairy-cyclist)
again, aren't you?

Simon Mason

Jan 29, 2023, 4:04:08 PM1/29/23
On Sunday, 29 January 2023 at 18:18:03 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> BASTARDS

He may have had his leg severed in a horrific hit and run but nothing can stop Max Clark.

The determined 10-year-old has taken up a running challenge for charity just 10 months after he was struck by a speeding motorbike in a Hull park.

Max had been enjoying a day out with his family on May 25 last year when rider Jerome Cawkwell hit him with his motorbike at "crazy speeds".

Cawkwell was sentenced to three years in prison after causing a serious injury by dangerous driving before fleeing the scene.

Aspiring gymnast Max was rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary, where he had his left leg amputated from the knee down.

Since March 1, Max has been running a mile each day with his mum Kirsty Clark, 32, as well as doing ten press-ups, ten squats and ten sit-ups to raise money.

“I just want to help other children so no one has to struggle,” said Max. “I want to do my part."

“I’m quite fearless. And I’ll do any challenge there is. I love running, even if it’s very tiring. It’s been so much fun to do them with mum and to know we are raising money to help people.” Proud mum Kirsty said it’s still difficult for her to think about the crash, but seeing the way Max has reacted to the life-changing ordeal has made her "immensely proud".

She said that, at the time, she worried he may never walk again, but quickly realised he would be alright and could "persevere through anything".

The former nursery nurse said: “When I look at Max, he is so positive and you can tell he will persevere through anything.

Spike

Jan 29, 2023, 5:24:19 PM1/29/23
A ‘well done’ to Max Clark for having such a positive attitude.

Another amputee who brings a positive attitude to adversity is…

=====

Billy Monger (born 5 May 1999)[1] is a British racing driver who raced in
British F4 in 2016 and 2017. He is now also a commentator/pundit and TV
personality. He is also referred to by the nickname Billy Whizz.[3][4][5]
after the character in British comic The Beano.

In April 2017, he was critically injured after being involved in a
collision at Donington Park that caused both of his legs to be amputated,
one below the knee and the other above the knee.[3][6][5] Until that, he
had been heavily involved in kart racing all over the UK and the Channel
Islands and then a successful Ginetta Junior racer.

After treatment and therapy, Monger returned to competition in November
2017. In 2018, Monger was awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year
Helen Rollason Award for outstanding achievement in the face of
adversity.[7] From 2019, he supplied analysis for Channel 4 F1.[8] He also
competed in the Formula 3 based Euroformula Open championship for Carlin
Motorsport, achieving his first single seater race win at the 2019 Pau
Grand Prix.

=====
--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 1:40:42 AM1/30/23
He may have had his leg severed in a horrific hit-and-run at the age of just 10 but nothing can stop Max Clark.

Now aged 12, the determined youngster, from Hull, has reached the semi-finals of a national gymnastics competition, after losing his leg in a devastating motorbike crash.

Max was in Rosmead Park with his family on May bank holiday in 2020, when he was hit by a motorbike, leaving him with life-changing injuries. The youngster lost part of his left leg as a result, and now has a prosthetic limb.

This hasn't held Max back though, as only five months after the crash, he was back at the gym doing what he loved most, trampolining. Jerome Cawkwell was jailed for three years in June 2020 after admitting to the hit and run that changed Max's life.

Max, who is now 12, told the BBC that getting back into sport was difficult at first and he had to "try harder" than ever to prepare for the prestigious British schools competition. "It's like my life basically. I've done it all my life, it's just so fun and I like doing new tricks and stuff," he said.

Paul Smith, Max's coach at his gymnastics club, told the BBC that the boy's progress had been "fantastic". Mr Smith said: "The last competition we went to, which was the first round of the schools, a few of the coaches there from other clubs came up to me and were so complimentary.

"They were really impressed with how good he is on the trampoline."
Max Clark six months after he lost his leg in a crash

Max's mother Kirsty Clark said that Max was eager to get back into his sport, despite the ordeal he went through. She said: "He started gymnastics when he was four, so he's put quite a lot of work in.

"He never really stopped. He had about five months off, then back to the gym."

If he succeeds in his upcoming competitions, Max could be representing his country in national events soon. He attributed his progress to fellow gymnasts at his club.

Max said: "They help me a lot, they root for me. They make me feel like the accident never happened."

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 4:11:06 AM1/30/23

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 6:33:47 AM1/30/23
A cannabis-smoking motorcyclist was today jailed for three years after he knocked down a nine-year-old schoolboy gymnast leaving him with life changing injuries.

Dock labourer Jerome Cawkwell, 24, tested positive for cannabis after he struck Max Clark, nine, while riding the motorbike, which had defective brakes.

Before the incident on May 29, Max was a promising gymnast who dreamt of representing Britain at the Olympics.

Now, his family insist the youngster will work towards representing Britain at the paralympics.

Hull Crown Court heard Cawkwell was riding the KSR Moto 125cc motorbike without a crash helmet when he pulled the brakes after spotting Max.

The bike's front brake was not working, and Cawkwell, who did not have insurance, struck the youngster.

Max had been enjoying a Bank Holiday Monday outing with his parents and siblings in a local park in Hull, East Yorkshire, when tragedy struck on May 25.

It was the first time Kirsty Clark, 31, husband Paddy, 32, and their four children had ventured out since the start of lockdown.

hey were among a number of families whose children attended the same dance school given a homework project of taking pictures of historic Rosemead Park.

Max had just had his picture taken under a bridge when he spotted his father hopping around some bollards separating the footpath from adjoining playing fields.

Prosecutor Jeremy Evans said: 'Max said he could make a much better attempt - no doubt referring to the fact he was a keen and successful gymnast.'

The youngster was crossing the public footpath towards his father as Cawkwell roared past a woman cyclist.

'She described the rider as driving at a crazy speed in excess of 40mph,' the prosecutor continued.

'He disappeared quickly into the distance. She commented to her husband "There is going to be an accident".

'Seconds later, she heard a female scream ahead.'

The court heard Cawkwell hit the brakes when he saw the child, but only the rear set was working.

The wheels locked and he skidded into the child whose left leg became entangled in the machine and was severed on the spot.

Max was dragged by the bike before being hurled into the air and landing head first on the gravel verge.
Part of Max's leg got jammed in Cawkwell's motorbike. The 24-year-old dock labourer rode off after the crash

Part of Max's leg got jammed in Cawkwell's motorbike. The 24-year-old dock labourer rode off after the crash

His torn-off leg bone jammed in the wheel, causing the bike to stall.

Mr Clark watched as Cawkwell managed to restart it and sped off.

Mr Evans said: 'His dad was quick thinking enough to lie across his son to prevent his son seeing the injury he had suffered.

'Max asked his father if he still had his leg and whether he could still run.

'His son said he did not want to live any more.'

The woman cyclist, who was a trained first aider, made a tournequet out of her belt and tied it around the boy's thigh to stem the bleeding.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics and rushed to Hull Royal Infirmary where surgeons found the dismembered left limb could not be saved.

Mr Clark said in his victim impact statement: 'Max was a dancer and a gymnast- someone who was always on the go.

'Life has changed so much since the incident.

'We will no longer have a normal life.

'I have dreams that Max died and I am going to his funeral which is extremely upsetting every night.

'He may have only hurt Max that day but he has ruined the lives of a lot more people.'

Cawkwell, from Hull, admitted causing injury by dangerous driving, no insurance, no licence, failing to stop and defective brakes at a previous hearing by JPs who sent him to Crown Court for sentence.

He also tested positive for cannabis but the reading was below the legal limit.

Cawkwell told probation officers: 'I did it. No one else was on the bike. I have to face up to my responsibilities.

I know I am looking at five years. I am sick. It was stupid. I was trying to be someone I am not.'

Outside the court, Mr Clark said he was pleased with the sentence ' but 'there is no punishment that would fit what has been taken from him'.

He described the scene of the accident as 'something from a war movie', adding:

'Max did not pass out. He braved it out. But he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

'A lot of people are angry with Jerome. I am not ready to forgive him.

'But I am more angry with myself. I am supposed to be the protector of my family.

'Max still wants to do gymnastics. He got his prosthetic limb a few days ago and is already hoping for the Paralympics.'

JNugent

Jan 30, 2023, 8:38:58 AM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 11:33 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A cannabis-smoking

Take that up with Mike "Drugs'R'Us" Collins.

> fully-qualified fairy-cyclist was today jailed for three years after he knocked down a nine-year-old schoolboy gymnast leaving him with life changing injuries.
> Dock labourer Jerome Cawkwell, 24, tested positive for cannabis after he struck Max Clark, nine, while purporting to ride the motorbike, which had defective brakes.
> Before the incident on May 29, Max was a promising gymnast who dreamt of representing Britain at the Olympics.
> Now, his family insist the youngster will work towards representing Britain at the paralympics.
> Hull Crown Court heard Cawkwell was riding the KSR Moto 125cc motorbike without a crash helmet when he pulled the brakes after spotting Max.
> The bike's front brake was not working, and Cawkwell, who did *not* *have* *insurance*, struck the youngster.
NO insurance. NO licence.

In other words, all he was qualified for was riding a fairy-cycle. He
had every qualification for that because none is needed. Fairy-cyclists
don't have to know anything at all about the Road Traffic Acts, the
Highway Code or the general rules of the road (and many of them
obviously don't)

> He also tested positive for cannabis but the reading was below the legal limit.

How can there be a an acceptable legal limit for a totally illegal drug?

> Cawkwell told probation officers: 'I did it. No one else was on the bike. I have to face up to my responsibilities.

What "responsibilities" do fully-qualified fairy-cyclists actually have?

> I know I am looking at five years. I am sick. It was stupid. I was trying to be someone I am not.'

Indeed he was trying to be better than he was. But all he was a
fully-qualified fairy-cyclist.

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 8:58:10 AM1/30/23
The young fighter pilot who crashed his aircraft (in 1932, not as
previously mentioned; and who shot down 22 enemy aircraft in WWII) was a
boxing champion, a rugby captain (tipped to play for England), and a first
class cricketer. He would have been appalled had anyone said to him after
his crash ‘you will never lead a normal life’. With his tin legs he took up
golf, his golf handicap getting well into professional levels, carved out a
career for himself, and reapplied for the RAF as soon as he could after the
outbreak of war.
--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 9:07:23 AM1/30/23
On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 11:33:47 AM UTC, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE:
> The youngster was crossing the public footpath towards his father as Cawkwell roared past a woman cyclist. ENDS

I have had FOUR of these illegal bikes crushed as they were filmed hurtling past me at high speed.
The police were most grateful for my reports and footage.

Spike

Jan 30, 2023, 9:18:02 AM1/30/23
swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had FOUR of these illegal bikes crushed as they were filmed
> hurtling past me at high speed.

> The police were most grateful for my reports and footage.

Now you know how pedestrians feel when cyclists hurtle past them on the
pavement.

--
Spike

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 11:49:18 AM1/30/23
By coincidence, the site of the path where this chav hit that poor lad was the same area as I filmed these other yobs. I reported
lots of burned out cars as well.