Hit-and-run driver who killed cyclist jailed for almost 10 years

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 1:56:39 PM9/17/21
Driver gets TEN YEARS in jail for killing a cyclist.

A hit-and-run driver who killed a cyclist in Hull has been jailed for 9 years and six months and been banned from driving for 12 years and four months.

Ben George, aged 30 and from Hull, was sentenced today at Hull Crown Court after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing death whilst uninsured and causing death whilst driving without a licence.

Humberside Police conducted a house-to-house search and initially made three arrests in connection with the fatal crash, which happened on Wednesday 29 January 2020, as they tried to track down the driver of the Audi A4 involved.

George, who pleaded guilty to all charges, fled the scene and the cyclist, 56-year-old Jeffrey Davis, died in hospital from his injuries.

Following sentencing, Sergeant Rob Mazingham of Humberside Police Serious Collision Unit said: “I would like to thank Jeffrey Davis family for their patience whilst this case has been investigated.

“They have endured unimaginable pain since the loss of their loved one, something no family should have to go through.

“I hope that today’s sentencing of George will provide Jeffreys family some form of closure at this very difficult time in knowing George is unable to cause further harm.

“Ben George has not only lost his freedom today, but he also has to live with knowledge that he has changed a family’s life forever.

“For those who choose to commit driving offences and continue to put themselves and others at risk, I have a simple message for you. We will not tolerate it and we will take appropriate action.”

The maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving is 14 years’ imprisonment. However, even in the most egregious cases, that maximum term is never imposed.

While George’s guilty pleas will have secured him a discount on the jail term, the convictions for driving while uninsured and without a valid driving licence will have had an effect on the sentence imposed.

https://road.cc/content/news/hit-and-run-driver-who-killed-cyclist-jailed-10-years-286437

JNugent

Sep 17, 2021, 2:02:01 PM9/17/21

> Fairy-cyclist gets TEN YEARS in jail for killing a cyclist.
>
> A hit-and-run fairy-cyclist who killed a cyclist in Hull has been jailed for 9 years and six months and been banned from driving for 12 years and four months.
>
> Ben George, aged 30 and from Hull, was sentenced today at Hull Crown Court after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing death whilst uninsured and causing death whilst driving *without* *a* *licence*.
>
> Humberside Police conducted a house-to-house search and initially made three arrests in connection with the fatal crash, which happened on Wednesday 29 January 2020, as they tried to track down the driver of the Audi A4 involved.
>
> George, who pleaded guilty to all charges, fled the scene and the cyclist, 56-year-old Jeffrey Davis, died in hospital from his injuries.
>
> Following sentencing, Sergeant Rob Mazingham of Humberside Police Serious Collision Unit said: “I would like to thank Jeffrey Davis family for their patience whilst this case has been investigated.
>
> “They have endured unimaginable pain since the loss of their loved one, something no family should have to go through.
>
> “I hope that today’s sentencing of George will provide Jeffreys family some form of closure at this very difficult time in knowing George is unable to cause further harm.
>
> “Ben George has not only lost his freedom today, but he also has to live with knowledge that he has changed a family’s life forever.
>
> “For those who choose to commit driving offences and continue to put themselves and others at risk, I have a simple message for you. We will not tolerate it and we will take appropriate action.”
>
> The maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving is 14 years’ imprisonment. However, even in the most egregious cases, that maximum term is never imposed.
>
> While George’s guilty pleas will have secured him a discount on the jail term, the convictions for driving while uninsured and without a valid driving licence [ie, whilst being nothing but a fully-qualified fairy-cyclist] will have had an effect on the sentence imposed.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/hit-and-run-driver-who-killed-cyclist-jailed-10-years-286437

George wasn't and isn't a driver. All he was qualified for was
fairy-cycling.

TMS320

Sep 18, 2021, 4:10:04 AM9/18/21
On 17/09/2021 18:56, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Driver gets TEN YEARS in jail for killing a cyclist.
>
> A hit-and-run driver who killed a cyclist in Hull has been jailed for
> 9 years and six months and been banned from driving for 12 years and
> four months.
>

> While George’s guilty pleas will have secured him a discount on the
> jail term, the convictions for driving while uninsured and without a
> valid driving licence will have had an effect on the sentence
> imposed.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/hit-and-run-driver-who-killed-cyclist-jailed-10-years-286437

He missed a trick. He could have got 8 years off had he told the judge
he didn't mean to do it and was full of remorse.

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2021, 6:08:52 AM9/18/21
Why did he not get a life driving ban? He could be back behind the wheel one day. It is not clear if his 12 1/3 years driving ban starts after his 9 1/2 years jail term ends though.

JNugent

Sep 18, 2021, 10:11:41 AM9/18/21
On 18/09/2021 11:08 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 9:10:04 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 17/09/2021 18:56, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Cyclist gets TEN YEARS in jail for killing a cyclist.
>
>>> A hit-and-run cyclist who killed a cyclist in Hull has been jailed for
>>> 9 years and six months and been banned from driving for 12 years and
>>> four months.
>
>>> While George’s guilty pleas will have secured him a discount on the
>>> jail term, the convictions for driving while uninsured and without a
>>> valid driving licence will have had an effect on the sentence
>>> imposed.

He cannot be described as a driver, with no driving licence and no
insurance. Fully road-ready for a bicycle, though.

>> He missed a trick. He could have got 8 years off had he told the judge
>> he didn't mean to do it and was full of remorse.
>
> Why did he not get a life driving ban? He could be back behind the wheel one day.

Because there is no such provision in law.

> It is not clear if his 12 1/3 years driving ban starts after his 9 1/2 years jail term ends though.

Is it at all clear that that particular fully qualified cyclist will be
deterred from attempting to drive by the fact that he is not allowed a
driving licence for however long his disqualification notionally lasts?