"There is no way on earth I can ride up that. The goal posts are moved again": Simon Warren names Peak District's 36.5 per cent monster "THE steepest climb in Britain"

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 3:18:01 PM9/17/21
Unsuitable for motor vehicles according to the sign!

Simon Warren, author of the 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs series, has found another belter. Hidden away in the Peak District and maxing out at 36.5 per cent, Bamford Clough is "the steepest climb in Britain", according to the climbing connoisseur...

Strava has it as 500m of 21.7 per cent gradient, but a segment named 'The Clough - insane bit' (link is external) picks out the toughest 300m averaging 26 per cent...the main question I'm taking from all of this is how did they manage to resurface it?

Simon (link is external) went to check it out earlier in the week and admitted even he was defeated by its savage slopes: "Nope. Not happening. There is no way on earth I can ride up that. The goal posts are moved again. I give you the steepest climb in Britain. Again.

"Too steep. Harder then Afon Ddu. Wet, covered in leaves yet beautiful tarmac. Chain jumped off front ring somehow under pressure and that was it, foot down. Too hard to ride in saddle, too slippery to get out."

Usually climbs don't look quite so brutal in pictures, not this one...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-hUIhLXEAIw49E?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-17-september-2021-286413#live-blog-item-27861

Mike Collins

Sep 17, 2021, 4:17:01 PM9/17/21
On Friday, 17 September 2021 at 20:18:01 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Unsuitable for motor vehicles according to the sign!

Road signs do not apply to motorists because they pay Road Tax.