Aggressive driver in total meltdown with Carmarthenshire cyclists after close pass

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2021, 3:21:52 PM9/10/21
What an absolute bell end of a driver -- needs locking up.

A ​Carmarthenshire cyclist who received a close pass from an aggressive driver who then parked up to shout at the rider and his companion, began filming the aftermath – including the motorist repeatedly yelling, “Do you remember smacking my car?” and telling him, “You don’t f*cking live here, you live in Llangadog, now f*ck off!”

Race organiser and contributor to our sister site off-road.cc Matt Page told us that the incident happened last week “just outside my home town of Llandovery and the road is the A483.

“I was riding with a friend at the time and doing a good pace and it’s a dead straight road with no traffic and that is why I have absolutely no idea why he was so irate as he passed initially,” Matt said.

“He close passed us tooting, then stopped in the middle of both carriageways 100 metres later and started shouting, so obviously has a big issue with cyclists in general.

“After driving off he was stopped, waiting for us to come along and his stance and manner, I knew he was about to start something, which is why I started filming,” Matt continued.

The footage shows the driver asking, “What’s your name?” with Matt telling him, then saying, “First of all you overtook us when we were riding legally two abreast, completely legal … ”

“So you were blocking the entire road, preventing anyone from overtaking?” the driver responded.

“Excuse me,” replied Matt, “you do not understand the Highway Code,” which makes it clear that cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast.

The motorist, raising his voice, continued to insist that “You were blocking the entire road,” before repeatedly asking Matt, “Do you remember smacking my car?” – something Matt denied – with the driver perilously close to a meltdown of Basil Fawltyesque proportions.

The driver then told Matt to “F*ck off,” and receiving the reply, “I’m from here,” responds, “Sure you are.”

When Matt said, “I live in Llangadog” – a village around 5km southwest of Llandovery – he is told, by the increasingly animated motorist, “Llangadog, do you? So you don’t f*cking live here, you live in Llangadog, now f*ck off!”

The driver, who returned to his car to take his own phone and start filming, again asks Matt his name and accuses him once more of hitting his car – an allegation he continued to deny.

The motorist, who seemed to think he may have grounds for an insurance claim, demands Matt’s address, and burst out laughing when he received the response, “I know all the police around here,” continuing to insist Matt wasn’t a local while not answering the question of where he is from himself.

The man then speeds off, making a punishment pass and beeping his horn, but the episode isn’t over yet.

“After the initial altercation he was in Llandovery town centre and upon spotting us again came to confront us,” Matt said.

At that last encounter, he repeatedly asked Matt, “What would you do if I slapped on your brand new car? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do,” before walking off with a parting greeting of “Tosser.”

“This has been reported to the Police on the day of the incident,” Matt added, “but the case has yet to be assigned to an officer despite it being a week ago.”

https://road.cc/content/news/aggressive-driver-meltdown-after-close-pass-cyclists-286251

JNugent

Sep 11, 2021, 9:21:01 AM9/11/21

> [...]
>
> The man then speeds off, making a punishment pass and beeping his horn, but the episode isn’t over yet.
>
> “After the initial altercation he was in Llandovery town centre and upon spotting us again came to confront us,” Matt said.
>
> At that last encounter, he repeatedly asked Matt, “What would you do if I slapped on your brand new car? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do,” before walking off with a parting greeting of “Tosser.”
>
> “This has been reported to the Police on the day of the incident,” Matt added, “but the case has yet to be assigned to an officer despite it being a week ago.”

Mistaken identity, perhaps, one pair of fairy-cyclists being confused
with another pair of fairy-cyclists?

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2021, 10:16:37 AM9/11/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 8:21:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> What an absolute bell end of a driver -- needs locking up.

Driver has been found by the road.cc readers:
If you put Clive Norman into a facebook search, you'll find this man there.

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Screenshot%202021-09-11%20at%2014.34.22%201.png

Supers79 replied to HoarseMann | 77 posts | 11 min ago
0 likes

Anti-Corbyn, pro-Brexit, little-Englander, sees the need to bring up WW2 when England play Germany and looks like he's part of the hunting crew.

kingleo | 108 posts | 18 hours ago
4 likes

I find it strange that motorists happily wait several minutes at train level crossing gates when they are down, but when they are delayed a bit by cyclists they have a road rage fit. I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that generally, club cyclists are young powerful fit athletes and road rage motorists are not. They are jealous because the cyclists are superior than they are.

> https://road.cc/content/news/aggressive-driver-meltdown-after-close-pass-cyclists-286251

JNugent

Sep 11, 2021, 11:49:28 AM9/11/21

Quoting:

> I find it strange that motorists happily wait several minutes at train level crossing gates when they are down, but when they are delayed a bit by fairy-cyclists they have a road rage fit.

Well... at least the gates don't do it deliberately.

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2021, 12:19:44 PM9/11/21
On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 8:21:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> What an absolute bell end of a driver -- needs locking up.

THIS HAS ALWAYS PUZZLED ME TOO.

Supers79 | 77 posts | 8 hours ago
4 likes

The irony of complaining about being held up but then stopping for a confrontation is always lost on these idiots.

QUITE

> https://road.cc/content/news/aggressive-driver-meltdown-after-close-pass-cyclists-286251

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2021, 9:30:27 AM9/13/21

Barry Pandy
19 hours ago

Bloody motorists, as a pedestrian who regularly walks to and from work I know how cyclist feel. For example, you would have thought that motorists would know that they are supposed to stop at a zebra crossing if I’m waiting to cross but the number who drive straight through (and considerably faster than the speed limit I might add) is unbelievable. I’ve also seen them do this to schoolchildren. Such people should be fined and get points off their licence and if necessary have their licence revoked.

https://nation.cymru/news/driver-filmed-having-total-meltdown-with-carmarthenshire-cyclist/

JNugent

Sep 13, 2021, 11:04:18 AM9/13/21

> Barry Pandy
> 19 hours ago
>
> Bloody motorists, as a pedestrian who regularly walks to and from work I know how fairy-cyclist feel [sic]. For example, you would have thought that motorists would know that they are supposed to stop at a zebra crossing if I’m waiting to cross but the number who drive straight through (and considerably faster than the speed limit I might add) is unbelievable. I’ve also seen them do this to schoolchildren. Such people should be fined and get points off their licence and if necessary have their licence revoked.
>
> https://nation.cymru/news/driver-filmed-having-total-meltdown-with-carmarthenshire-cyclist/

Actually, Andy (you don't mind if I call you "Andy", do you? I bet
everyone else does), and although the vast majority of drivers will do
it as a courtesy, there is *no* obligation for any vehicle to stop at a
zebra-type pedestrian crossing unless there is a pedestrian *on* it.
Waiting patiently on the kerb is admirably patient, but perhaps just
letting one foot rest on the carriageway would help (it would certainly
change the legal position to the one you mistakenly thought already
applied).

Not that even being half-way across will protect you from dedicated
fairy-cyclists, bellowing obscenities at you and threatening to "come
through" whether you or anyone else is "in the way".

Mike Collins

Sep 13, 2021, 11:48:53 AM9/13/21
Typical motorist. 'I will use my vehicle as a weapon to intimidate primary road users in to giving up their right of way even though their taxes pay for the roads I am using'.

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2021, 12:19:43 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 4:48:53 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> Typical motorist. 'I will use my vehicle as a weapon to intimidate primary road users in to giving up their right of way even though their taxes pay for the roads I am using'.

Why do they all look as angry as this? Reminds me of clown takes a pratfall and the chef with a meat cleaver in his hand. This guy is in the same (throbbing) vein.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_LZ3v4XIAIVJJV?format=jpg&name=medium

JNugent

Sep 13, 2021, 12:38:05 PM9/13/21
You are confusing me with you.

You are the fairy-cyclist, the ones who belligerently force their way
through pedestrians on crossings, caring about nothing other than
keeping your speed up and exceeding your personal worst.

*I* am one of those who stops for pedestrians on crossings.

Mike Collins

Sep 13, 2021, 1:12:24 PM9/13/21
Please supply evidence to support this claim or apologise.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Sep 13, 2021, 2:15:28 PM9/13/21
For how long have you been a prick?
Have you always been a prick?

TMS320

Sep 14, 2021, 4:28:23 AM9/14/21
On 13/09/2021 14:30, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Barry Pandy 19 hours ago
>
> Bloody motorists, as a pedestrian who regularly walks to and from
> work I know how cyclist feel. For example, you would have thought
> that motorists would know that they are supposed to stop at a zebra
> crossing if I’m waiting to cross but the number who drive straight
> through (and considerably faster than the speed limit I might add) is
> unbelievable. I’ve also seen them do this to schoolchildren. Such
> people should be fined and get points off their licence and if
> necessary have their licence revoked.

Impossible. Only cyclists do this. So we are told.

The reason being that pedestrians don't like being run over by motor
vehicles so they wait for drivers to go past and only cross when a
driver stops. Their own action has kept them out of harm's way. Whereas
they casually step out when there is no motor vehicle present and
complain that a bicycle came at them from nowhere and frightened the
life out of them.

TMS320

Sep 14, 2021, 4:34:56 AM9/14/21
On 13/09/2021 17:38, JNugent wrote:
> On 13/09/2021 04:48 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> You are the cyclist, the ones who belligerently force their way
> through pedestrians on crossings, caring about nothing other than
> keeping your speed up and exceeding your personal worst.

Do you know what libel is?

> *I* am one of those who stops for pedestrians on crossings.

Why do you expect others to take your word for it?

Peter Keller

Sep 14, 2021, 5:19:40 AM9/14/21
When God put teeth in your mouth he ruined a perfectly good as*hole.

JNugent

Sep 14, 2021, 8:11:13 AM9/14/21
On 14/09/2021 09:28 am, TMS320 wrote:

> On 13/09/2021 14:30, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Barry Pandy 19 hours ago
>
>> Bloody motorists, as a pedestrian who regularly walks to and from
>> work I know how cyclist feel. For example, you would have thought
>> that motorists would know that they are supposed to stop at a zebra
>> crossing if I’m waiting to cross but the number who drive straight
>> through (and considerably faster than the speed limit I might add) is
>> unbelievable. I’ve also seen them do this to schoolchildren. Such
>> people should be fined and get points off their licence and if
>> necessary have their licence revoked.
>
> Impossible. Only cyclists do this. So we are told.
>
> The reason being that pedestrians don't like being run over by motor
> vehicles so they wait for drivers to go past and only cross when a
> driver stops.

That's what pedestrians at a zebra crossing are *supposed* to do! The
law does not support simply charging out onto the crossing into the path
of a vehicle which cannot stop in the time and distance available and
neither does it oblige any vehicle's operator to stop for a pedestrian
who is waiting on the kerb. Them's the facts.

Nevertheless stopping for a pedestrian on the kerb is certainly what I
do at zebra crossings. For a pedestrian (and that's me as well),
crossing is made easier by the approach of a vehicle that is either a
longer distance away or moving relatively slowly, allowing the
calculation that they have time to stop (not "thread through") before
they reach the stop line.

> Their own action has kept them out of harm's way. Whereas
> they casually step out when there is no motor vehicle present and
> complain that a bicycle came at them from nowhere and frightened the
> life out of them.

The fairy-cyclist is supposed to STOP. Not to "thread through" pedestrians.

Where DO fairy-cyclists get those "threading through" ideas from?

JNugent

Sep 14, 2021, 8:14:05 AM9/14/21
On 14/09/2021 09:34 am, TMS320 wrote:

> On 13/09/2021 17:38, JNugent wrote:
>> On 13/09/2021 04:48 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
>>
>> You are the fairy-cyclist, the ones who belligerently force their
>> way through pedestrians on crossings, caring about nothing other
>> than keeping your speed up and exceeding your personal worst.
>
> Do you know what libel is?

Oh, sorry! :-)

Not "force their way through" - "thread through"...

Apparently, it makes all the difference.

Or something.

Just STOP at pedestrian crossings and don't start off again until all
the pedestrians have crossed and none are on the crossing.

>> *I* am one of those who stops for pedestrians on crossings.
>
> Why do you expect others to take your word for it?

Is there any reason why you shouldn't?

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2021, 9:07:14 AM9/14/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 7:15:28 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> Have you always been a prick?

Thank you for advising me to hang myself in another thread.
I'm sure The Samaritans will soon be in touch to give you a job.

TMS320

Sep 15, 2021, 6:42:11 AM9/15/21
On 14/09/2021 13:11, JNugent wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 09:28 am, TMS320 wrote:
>> On 13/09/2021 14:30, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Barry Pandy 19 hours ago
>>
>>> Bloody motorists, as a pedestrian who regularly walks to and from
>>> work I know how cyclist feel. For example, you would have thought
>>> that motorists would know that they are supposed to stop at a zebra
>>> crossing if I’m waiting to cross but the number who drive straight
>>> through (and considerably faster than the speed limit I might add) is
>>> unbelievable. I’ve also seen them do this to schoolchildren. Such
>>> people should be fined and get points off their licence and if
>>> necessary have their licence revoked.
>>
>> Impossible. Only cyclists do this. So we are told.
>>
>> The reason being that pedestrians don't like being run over by motor
>> vehicles so they wait for drivers to go past and only cross when a
>> driver stops.
>
> That's what pedestrians at a zebra crossing are *supposed* to do!

Excellent!

> Where DO fairy-cyclists get those "threading through" ideas from?

Where do you get the idea that threading around pedestrians has anything
to do with zebra crossings?

Mike Collins

Sep 15, 2021, 7:19:03 AM9/15/21
Your imagination.

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 8:00:52 AM9/15/21
This part of the discussion has been about crossings.

The bit above (still quoted) that says:

"...you would have thought that motorists would know that they are
supposed to stop at a zebra crossing if I’m waiting to cross..."

...was a *big* *clue* (even though the poster was trying to make was
incorrect, as I mentioned.

Apology accepted.

So... now that's cleared up... where DO fairy-cyclists get those
"threading through" [pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing] ideas from?

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 8:02:01 AM9/15/21
You would do better keeping quiet rather than trying to comment on
things you haven't read and don't understand.

Mike Collins

Sep 15, 2021, 8:59:05 AM9/15/21
So no evidence to support your claim as usual.

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 9:39:32 AM9/15/21

Mike Collins

Sep 15, 2021, 2:04:34 PM9/15/21

colwyn

Sep 15, 2021, 2:35:18 PM9/15/21
You can't argue with someone who believes in "Fairies"!

JNugent

Sep 15, 2021, 2:35:44 PM9/15/21
Read it yet?

Mike Collins

Sep 15, 2021, 3:06:32 PM9/15/21
So no evidence to support your claim as usual..

TMS320

Sep 16, 2021, 3:21:05 AM9/16/21
On 15/09/2021 13:00, JNugent wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 11:42 am, TMS320 wrote:

>>> That's what pedestrians at a zebra crossing are *supposed* to do!
>>>

>> Excellent!
>>>
>>> Where DO cyclists get those "threading through" ideas
>>> from?
>>>

>> Where do you get the idea that threading around pedestrians has
>> anything to do with zebra crossings?
>
> This part of the discussion has been about crossings.
>
> The bit above (still quoted) that says:
>
> "...you would have thought that motorists would know that they are
> supposed to stop at a zebra crossing if I’m waiting to cross..."
>
> ...was a *big* *clue* (even though the poster was trying to make was
> incorrect, as I mentioned.
>
> Apology accepted.
>
> So... now that's cleared up... where DO cyclists get those
> "threading through" [pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing] ideas
> from?

It's rather silly to ask others where you get your ideas from. Where do
you get the from?

JNugent

Sep 16, 2021, 7:46:00 AM9/16/21
Yo are getting worse with each post you make.

First, you claim that the subject is not "pedestrian crossings" so I
demonstrate to you (see above) that that is exactly what the subject was.

Now, you claim that *I* thought of the concept of fairy-cyclists
"threading through" pedestrians. But that, of course, was YOUR
suggestion and your "idea".

TMS320

Sep 16, 2021, 12:02:32 PM9/16/21
Don't blame others when you conjure up things from nowhere and tie
yourself up in knots.

> First, you claim that the subject is not "pedestrian crossings" so I
> demonstrate to you (see above) that that is exactly what the subject was.

The thread is actually about a driver making a close pass but in the
nature of things, the thread had drifted to drivers at crossings.

I have said nothing about the thread not being about pedestrian
crossings. If you think I have done so, give the date and time of my post.
> Now, you claim that *I* thought of the concept of fairy-cyclists
> "threading through" pedestrians. But that, of course, was YOUR
> suggestion and your "idea".

The first instance of the word "threading" was in your post of
14/09/2021 13:11 The only possibility is that *you* thought of it.

So where has your idea of cyclists threading at crossings come from?