“Victim blaming garbage” – Police Scotland slated after sharing “cycle safety” video of HGV driver left-hooking cyclist

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 9:33:35 AM9/17/21
Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit has been slated on social media after sharing a five-year-old “cycle safety” video on social media that was widely criticised by cycling campaigners including Chris Boardman when first released in 2016. What’s more, the specific circumstances portrayed in the footage, is one addressed in forthcoming changes to the Highway Code which make it clear that people on bikes have priority when travelling straight on at a junction.

The video, produced as part of the Department for Transport’s THINK! Road safety campaign and entitled “THINK! Cycle safety: Hang back from lorries turning left,” was uploaded to YouTube in September 2016.

It begins with a rather jarring montage, including cartoons, of “Things you shouldn’t get caught between” – including a grand piano being dropped from height, a pair of boxers fighting, a gunfight in a Spaghetti Western and a butcher using a meat cleaver to chop meat – then inserts scenes of a lorry driver and cyclist heading towards a junction, where the driver turns left across the bike rider’s path.

The clip, viewed nearly 300,000 times, ends with a scene of the lorry stopped at the junction, the bicycle crushed beneath its wheels, and a police car and ambulance in the background.

At the time, Boardman said on Twitter that it was a “Desperately misguided campaign that a) tries to make death fun b) vulnerable road user responsible for vehicle not fit for road.”

“Companies, THINK buy lorries that let your poor drivers see more than 70% of the road, they exist,” he added.

Duncan Dollimore of Cycling UK said that the charity had “raised its concerns with this campaign at the earliest stage and we are very disappointed this was not taken on board. Hopefully, following the understandable widespread negative reaction THINK! has received from road safety campaigners, they will rethink and re-engage to learn from their mistakes.”

Dozens of comments beneath the video on YouTube point out the flaws in the message it sends out, with some commenters pointing out it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure they overtake and turn safely and others accusing it of “victim blaming.”

Despite the backlash to the video, Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit shared it on Twitter yesterday morning, in a tweet referencing Project EDWARD (link is external), the acronym standing for European Day Without A Road Death, a Europe-wide initiative launched five years ago by the European Traffic Police Network and supported by the European Commission.

The tweet said: “We'll be speaking to cyclists today to improve their safety & re-iterate their own responsibilities to other road users.” Reaction to the post was unanimously critical.

One Twitter user highlighted the hierarchy of road users that will shortly be introduced to the Highway Code under new Rule H1, which says that “Those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others,” adding that “This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles.”

Meanwhile, new Rule H3, which applies to drivers and motorcyclists, is clear that cyclists have priority when travelling straight on at a junction. In full, it reads:

You should not cut across cyclists going ahead when turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle. This applies whether cyclists are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give way to them. Do not turn at a junction if to do so would cause the cyclist going straight ahead to stop or swerve, just as you would do with a motor vehicle. You should stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists if necessary. This includes when cyclists are:

approaching, passing or moving off from a junction
moving past or waiting alongside stationary or slow-moving traffic
travelling around a roundabout.

https://road.cc/content/news/police-scotland-share-vid-hgv-driver-left-hooking-cyclist-286427

JNugent

Sep 17, 2021, 10:07:18 AM9/17/21

> Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit has been slated on social media after sharing a five-year-old “cycle safety” video on social media that was widely criticised by cycling campaigners including Chris Boardman when first released in 2016. What’s more, the specific circumstances portrayed in the footage, is one addressed in forthcoming changes to the Highway Code which make it clear that people on bikes have priority when travelling straight on at a junction.
>
> The video, produced as part of the Department for Transport’s THINK! Road safety campaign and entitled “THINK! Cycle safety: Hang back from lorries turning left,” was uploaded to YouTube in September 2016.
>
> It begins with a rather jarring montage, including cartoons, of “Things you shouldn’t get caught between” – including a grand piano being dropped from height, a pair of boxers fighting, a gunfight in a Spaghetti Western and a butcher using a meat cleaver to chop meat – then inserts scenes of a lorry driver and cyclist heading towards a junction, where the driver turns left across the bike rider’s path.
>
> The clip, viewed nearly 300,000 times, ends with a scene of the lorry stopped at the junction, the bicycle crushed beneath its wheels, and a police car and ambulance in the background.
>
> At the time, Boardman said on Twitter that it was a “Desperately misguided campaign that a) tries to make death fun b) vulnerable road user responsible for vehicle not fit for road.”
>
> “Companies, THINK buy lorries that let your poor drivers see more than 70% of the road, they exist,” he added.

No.

Just don't overtake (undertake) on the nearside and in particular, never
ever undertake a vehicle indicating a left turn, not even if you think
the driver might have inadvertently switched on the indicator.

> Duncan Dollimore of Cycling UK said that the charity had “raised its concerns with this campaign at the earliest stage and we are very disappointed this was not taken on board. Hopefully, following the understandable widespread negative reaction THINK! has received from road safety campaigners, they will rethink and re-engage to learn from their mistakes.”
>
> Dozens of comments beneath the video on YouTube point out the flaws in the message it sends out, with some commenters pointing out it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure they overtake and turn safely and others accusing it of “victim blaming.”
>
> Despite the backlash to the video, Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit shared it on Twitter yesterday morning, in a tweet referencing Project EDWARD (link is external), the acronym standing for European Day Without A Road Death, a Europe-wide initiative launched five years ago by the European Traffic Police Network and supported by the European Commission.
>
> The tweet said: “We'll be speaking to cyclists today to improve their safety & re-iterate their own responsibilities to other road users.” Reaction to the post was unanimously critical.
>
> One Twitter user highlighted the hierarchy of road users that will shortly be introduced to the Highway Code under new Rule H1, which says that “Those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others,” adding that “This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles.”
>
> Meanwhile, new Rule H3, which applies to drivers and motorcyclists, is clear that cyclists have priority when travelling straight on at a junction. In full, it reads:
>
> You should not cut across cyclists going ahead when turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle. This applies whether cyclists are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on the road and you should give way to them. Do not turn at a junction if to do so would cause the cyclist going straight ahead to stop or swerve, just as you would do with a motor vehicle. You should stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists if necessary. This includes when cyclists are:
>
> approaching, passing or moving off from a junction
> moving past or waiting alongside stationary or slow-moving traffic
> travelling around a roundabout.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/police-scotland-share-vid-hgv-driver-left-hooking-cyclist-286427

What does the "new" HC say about undertaking on the nearside?

Mike Collins

Sep 17, 2021, 12:10:30 PM9/17/21
Where does the video show the victim undertaking on the nearside?

JNugent

Sep 17, 2021, 1:36:37 PM9/17/21
What's the problem?

Question too difficult?

Or the answer too inconvenient?

Mike Collins

Sep 17, 2021, 4:21:03 PM9/17/21

JNugent

Sep 17, 2021, 7:12:55 PM9/17/21
Is the answer STILL too inconvenient?

TMS320

Sep 18, 2021, 4:03:02 AM9/18/21
On 17/09/2021 18:36, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/09/2021 05:10 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> Just don't overtake (undertake) on the nearside and in
>>> particular, never ever undertake a vehicle indicating a left
>>> turn, not even if you think the driver might have inadvertently
>>> switched on the indicator.
>>>
>>> What does the "new" HC say about undertaking on the nearside?

Enlighten us. Also, point out where the HC uses the word 'undertake'.

>> Where does the video show the victim undertaking on the nearside?

> What's the problem?
>
> Question too difficult?

It's very obvious that Mike's question was too difficult for you.

Oh, you wouldn't know because you don't click links. And you never
answer a question, except to put another question.

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2021, 6:05:17 AM9/18/21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 9:03:02 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

> Enlighten us. Also, point out where the HC uses the word 'undertake'.

Here is the nearest it gets to it:

151 be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side.

Mike Collins

Sep 18, 2021, 6:25:41 AM9/18/21
Is the question "where does the video show the victim undertaking on the nearside" too difficult or inconvenient for you?

JNugent

Sep 18, 2021, 10:04:40 AM9/18/21
On 18/09/2021 09:02 am, TMS320 wrote:

> On 17/09/2021 18:36, JNugent wrote:

> Enlighten us. Also, point out where the HC uses the word 'undertake'.
>
>>> Where does the video show the victim undertaking on the nearside?
>
>> What's the problem?
>>
>> Question too difficult?
>
> It's very obvious that Mike's question was too difficult for you.

What "question" did he ask?

He only quibbled about the word "undertake" (a term in common use to
denote overtaking on the nearside).

> Oh, you wouldn't know because you don't click links. And you never
> answer a question, except to put another question.

What does a silly quibble about a word have to do with links?

JNugent

Sep 18, 2021, 10:07:59 AM9/18/21
Which bit of...

"Just don't overtake (undertake) on the nearside and in particular,
never ever undertake a vehicle indicating a left turn, not even if you
think the driver might have inadvertently switched on the indicator"

...did you "think" was of application only to whichever video you wanted
people to click?

It's just good advice for all vehicular road-users: overtake only on the
offside, never on the nearside, particularly when the vehicle you are
undertaking is indicating a turn to the nearside.

Mike Collins

Sep 18, 2021, 1:00:30 PM9/18/21
Where does the video under discussion show the victim undertaking on the nearside?

swldx...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2021, 1:03:35 PM9/18/21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 6:00:30 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> Where does the video under discussion show the victim undertaking on the nearside?

151 be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be ****passing on either side****.
It's called "filtering" and is perfectly legal.

JNugent

Sep 18, 2021, 6:40:28 PM9/18/21

TMS320

Sep 22, 2021, 10:28:21 AM9/22/21
On 18/09/2021 15:04, JNugent wrote:
> On 18/09/2021 09:02 am, TMS320 wrote:

>> Enlighten us. Also, point out where the HC uses the word 'undertake'.

>>> What's the problem?
>>>
>>> Question too difficult?
>>
>> It's very obvious that Mike's question was too difficult for you.
>
> What "question" did he ask?

Well... the idea is that you find it by looking at the way the text is
indented.

> He only quibbled about the word "undertake" (a term in common use to
> denote overtaking on the nearside).

Oh, you know his question. Answer it.

>> Oh, you wouldn't know because you don't click links. And you never
>> answer a question, except to put another question.
>
> What does a silly quibble about a word have to do with links?
It's not a silly quibble. In any case, I will ignore your advice and
make my own judgements about making manoeuvres. Is there any other
instruction you would like to give on subjects you know nothing about?

JNugent

Sep 22, 2021, 10:54:06 AM9/22/21
On 22/09/2021 03:28 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 18/09/2021 15:04, JNugent wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Enlighten us. Also, point out where the HC uses the word 'undertake'.

>>> It's very obvious that Mike's question was too difficult for you.
>
>> What "question" did he ask?
>
> Well... the idea is that you find it by looking at the way the text is
> indented.

He asked no question.

>> He only quibbled about the word "undertake" (a term in common use to
>> denote overtaking on the nearside).
>
> Oh, you know his question. Answer it.

He asked no question.

>>> Oh, you wouldn't know because you don't click links. And you never
>>> answer a question, except to put another question.
>>
>> What does a silly quibble about a word have to do with links?

> It's not a silly quibble. In any case, I will ignore your advice and
> make my own judgements about making manoeuvres. Is there any other
> instruction you would like to give on subjects you know nothing about?

I cannot give instructions on such subjects but I can give this sensible
suggestion on a subject with which I am very familiar. It runs:

Just don't overtake (undertake) on the nearside and in particular, never
ever undertake a vehicle indicating a left turn, not even if you "think"
the driver might have inadvertently switched on the indicator.

It applies to all vehicular road-users. Even to fairy-cyclists who seem
to "think" they are subject to no rules whatsoever.

TMS320

Sep 23, 2021, 9:35:30 AM9/23/21
On 22/09/2021 15:54, JNugent wrote:
> On 22/09/2021 03:28 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> [ ... ]

>>> What "question" did he ask?
>>
>> Well... the idea is that you find it by looking at the way the text is
>> indented.
>
> He asked no question.

In English, a curly symbol placed at the end of a sentence denotes a
question.

>>> He only quibbled about the word "undertake" (a term in common use to
>>> denote overtaking on the nearside).
>>
>> Oh, you know his question. Answer it.
>
> He asked no question.

>>> What does a silly quibble about a word have to do with links?
>
>> It's not a silly quibble. In any case, I will ignore your advice and
>> make my own judgements about making manoeuvres. Is there any other
>> instruction you would like to give on subjects you know nothing about?
>
> I cannot give instructions on such subjects...

...then stop doing so.

JNugent

Sep 23, 2021, 10:00:48 AM9/23/21
I replied to the "What does the new HC say..." question by inviting the
person who wrote to enlighten us as to what he thinks it says.

I don't have a copy of an unpublished work of fiction.

>>> Oh, you know his question. Answer it.
>
>> He asked no question.

>>> It's not a silly quibble. In any case, I will ignore your advice and
>>> make my own judgements about making manoeuvres. Is there any other
>>> instruction you would like to give on subjects you know nothing about?
>>
>> I cannot give instructions on such subjects...
>
> ...then stop doing so.

I cannot, never having started.

Don't overtake (undertake) on the nearside and in particular, never ever
undertake a vehicle indicating a left turn, not even if you think the
driver might have inadvertently switched on the indicator.

That is excellent advice. I always follow it.