Sunday Times - Where was I?

Margaret Bunn

Sep 22, 2002, 6:11:31 AM9/22/02
It seems that Paul hasn't posted again this week, apologies if treading on
his toes.
Sorry don't know answers.

September 22, 2002

Competition: Where was I?
Win a week for two on Lanzarote, with Simply Travel

Letter to puzzle-loving friend: "As I am just coming to the end of a short
break, here is the usual cryptic letter to see if you can guess where I have
been. My base has been a riverside town whose most famous son served as its
MP. A man of considerable power, he was largely responsible for the
Barebones Parliament. "The State," he once said, "in choosing men to serve
it, takes no notice of their opinions." He went to school in this town,
where, while exploring, I found a museum dedicated to his life. A naval
administrator, who once buried his parmesan cheese in the garden (as one
does), was also schooled here. And, finally, quite by chance, I discovered
the home of an 18th-century poet, whose works included The Castaway; he
convalesced here after attempting suicide.
"During my sojourn, the car has been largely redundant. For example, I only
had to cross an old bridge over a river (the latter some 160 miles long) to
find myself in a second town - Durovigutum to the Romans, and built on a
Roman road. I excelled myself here because I then trekked east, in glorious
weather, through the streets and across the fields to a village. There I
found a manor that purports to be the country's oldest continuously
inhabited house. It is famously associated with a 20th-century author and
inspired a series of children's books. (Remember Green Knowe?)

"Yesterday, the weather was more temperamental, so I clambered into the car
for the short journey east to a third riverside town, Domesday's Slepe. I
didn't meet a man with seven wives, but I did find a delightful bridge
chapel, one of only a handful in this country. A few miles beyond, I found
the village that was the childhood home of a second 20th-century author. One
of her greatest creations was a lordly detective, although she also made
translations of Dante's Inferno.

"And now there is one remaining task: what souvenir shall I buy you?
Actually, I know just the thing, although, curiously, it was never made in
the village after which it is named (about 13 miles north-northwest of the
Roman town). Rather, it is the place from which it was traditionally
distributed. Distinguished, pungent and crumbly, I am referring to a great
British gastronomic delight. I hope you are feeling hungry."

COMPETITION DETAILS

The questions
1 Which town was my base?
2 What is the 'great British gastronomic delight'?

The prize
A seven-night, self- catering holiday for two on Lanzarote, courtesy of
Simply Travel's Winter Sun. The winners will stay in the Casa Aljibe, a
converted water reservoir in the north of the island that has a vaulted
ceiling and a luxurious, cavelike interior. The holiday, which includes
return flights from Gatwick and car hire, must be taken in November 2002 or
January or February 2003, subject to availability.

Simply Travel offers a selection of hand-picked properties for those who
prefer to be off the beaten track. For a brochure, call 020 8541 2222 or
visit www.simplytravel.com.

Entries
On a postcard to Where Was I? September 22, 2002, PO Box 5078, Leighton
Buzzard, Beds LU95 1AE, or e-mail: wher...@sunday-times.co.uk by Wednesday
evening. Winners will be announced in next week's Directions. Only one entry
per household. Normal Times Newspapers rules apply. No correspondence will
be entered into. Due to the provisions of the Gaming and Lotteries Act 1956,
this competition is not open to readers in the Irish Republic.

Last week's winner
Last week's answers are Blackheath and Shooters Hill. The winner is Andy
Milne of Northwich, who wins a trip to Le Marche, Italy, with The Owners'
Syndicate (020 7801 9807), which offers high-quality villa and apartment
accommodation throughout the country, and the low-cost airline Ryanair (0871
246 0000).

Terms and conditions
Competition rules

1. The Where was I?' competition (the "Competition") will run on the
sunday-times.co.uk website (the "Website") from Sunday to the following
Wednesday inclusive of each week.

2. Entries for the Competition must be received on the Wednesday (being the
last day of each competition) at 11.59pm for a valid entry into the
competition launched on the Sunday prior.

3. The Competition is open only to UK residents, 18 years or over. Employees
of The Times and The Sunday Times, and their associated, affiliated or
subsidiary companies, and their families, agents, or anyone connected with
this Competition, are excluded from entry.

4. No purchase is necessary, but entrants should be aware that they may be
subject to local call charges depending on their own individual arrangements
for Internet access.

5. An eligible entrant must be an individual and must send an email using
the address located on Website and answer the required questions.

6. By entering, all eligible entrants agree to abide by each and all these
General Rules. The Sunday Times reserves the right, with or without cause,
to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of these General
Rules.

7. All eligible entrants agree to be fully liable for all personal or
incidental expenses incurred in claiming and benefiting from a prize unless
clearly specified otherwise in these General Rules or on the Website.

8. Eligible entrants are limited to one entry per valid email address.

9. Judging will take place on the Thursday following each competition's
closure on the Wednesday of each week, by representatives of the TNL
editorial team. The judges decision will be final and no correspondence will
be entered into. The prizes are non-transferable and there will be no other
alternative prizes.

10. The prize for each competition will be that as it appears on the Website
relating to the 'Where Am I?' promotion for the given week. All prizes are
subject to availability, and airport return flights, transfers and
accommodation details along with any other details that are necessary will
be as appearing on the Website relating to the 'Where Am I?' promotion.

11. The winner will be notified by email and/or telephone during the
Thursday following the closure of each competition on the Wednesday of each
week. All reasonable endeavours will be made to contact the winner during
that day.

12. If the winner cannot be contacted before the close of business on the
Thursday, the promoter reserves the right to rejudge and select another
winner from the entries already received subject to the same terms and
conditions specified herein. The winner will be published in the following
Sunday Times newspaper and Website.

13. The winner will receive the prize via post, at a time agreed by the
winner and the prize donor.

14. The Sunday Times will not be liable for technical, hardware, or software
failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections which may
limit or prohibit an eligible entrant's ability to participate in the
Promotion.

15. The Sunday Times does not accept liability for lost, corrupted, damaged,
delayed or otherwise invalidated claims or claims which are otherwise not
received electronically by the Website server.

16. By entering, any subsequent prize winner agrees to allow the free use of
their name, photographs and general locations for publicity and news
purposes during this and future promotions by The Sunday Times or any
associated or subsidiary company of News International plc.

17. Uses of personal data received by the promoter resulting from the
competition on the Website are subject to the privacy policy on the Website.

18. The Sunday Times reserves the right to amend these General Rules. Any
amendments will be published on the The Sunday Times website.

19. The winner's name will be published in the newspaper and on the Website
on the Sunday, following the closing of entries on the prior Wednesday.

20. Completion of the email will be deemed to be acceptance of these General
Rules.

21. The promoter of this prize draw is The Sunday Times.

Diane

Sep 22, 2002, 9:33:11 AM9/22/02
I'm no good at these but the quote in the text - "The State," he once said,
"in choosing men to serve it, takes no notice of their opinions" - is by
Oliver Cromwell if this helps anyone.

Diane

"Margaret Bunn" <margaret....@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Chooch

Sep 22, 2002, 9:47:52 AM9/22/02
When I was going to St Ives, I met a man with seven wives...