Accommodation in County Clare

Andy 19376

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
Please can anybody suggest suitable accommodation in County Clare for 4 people
on a caving trip in mid-Sept. The more info the better so we can make a choice
taking into account accessabilty to caves, Guiness, food etc. We are looking at
any option from tents upwards, the more money saved on acc. the more we spend
on beer :)
Thanks in advance.
Andy Bonwick.

M.J.J. Scott

Aug 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/2/98
Hi Andy

I'd suggest the Burren Tourist Hostel in Lisdoonvarna. The last time I
stayed there it was circa 6/7 pounds a night. They have a great bar, a
drying room, with washing machine facilities, big kitchen and dining
room area for self catering. The town is good fun during the summer,
they do food at the hostel, which is a nice option of you don't want to
self cater, and there is a chip shop in the town. They are well used to
cavers, so you can leave a call-out there, which can be handy. They are
about 10 mins drive from all the major caves (they're central), Pol na
Gollum, Faunarooska, the Callaun series etc.

It is owned and run by Dermot and Doreen Drennan, very friendly family.
If you go/call, tell them Marty Scott said 'hi' from England (and I'm
coming back home soon!).

Have a great trip. If you want any more info on the area email me (I'm
from Dublin originally, and Co Clare is an old stomping ground).

Cheers,
Marty

--
Martin JJ Scott
Fallside Lab, Engineering Dept, Trumpington St.,

simon...@gmail.com

May 29, 2013, 7:50:34 AM5/29/13
On Friday, July 31, 1998 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Andy 19376 wrote:
> Please can anybody suggest suitable accommodation in County Clare for 4 people
> on a caving trip in mid-Sept. The more info the better so we can make a choice
> taking into account accessabilty to caves, Guiness, food etc. We are looking at
> any option from tents upwards, the more money saved on acc. the more we spend
> on beer :)
> Thanks in advance.
> Andy Bonwick.

You should try http://www.clondanaghcottage.com there's a small farm, good for the kids, and a lake to go fishing also. I think the lake is private too and you get to cook the fish!!! I was there last year, the general area is quiet, apart form a few boy racers which spoiled it a little one of the nights but apart from that the locals are friendly and the Guinness is good. It's close to the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher but if you want a nice seaside town I recommend Kilkee....

hope this helps
Simon