Mondeo Door Locking Problem

Stuart B

Jun 17, 2009, 4:26:12 PM6/17/09
I have an R Reg Mondeo HB and yesterday noticed a couple of things
that I'm sure weren't like that recently. First thing I noticed when
I parked up to go fishing was that having locked the car and set the
alarm( indicators flashing) I could still open the nearside rear
passenger door ,setting the alarm off naturally .What I had to do was
turn the alarm off,open the opposite passenger door and lock the
offending door from the inside then shut the doors and set the alarm
...all doors were then locked .

The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well
of course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them
by pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .I
don't normally lock the doors when using the car but I have done it a
couple of times and operating the lever I am sure unlocked them all.

It seems likely that something in that rear passenger door is causing
the problem but any ideas guys ? I guess for some time I may have
been leaving the car with one door unlocked unbeknown to me ..

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Adrian

Jun 17, 2009, 4:32:27 PM6/17/09
Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well of
> course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them by
> pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .

Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have deadlocking.

> It seems likely that something in that rear passenger door is causing
> the problem but any ideas guys ?

Probably just a sticky solenoid or lock in that door or fractured wiring
in that door shut.

Mrcheerful

Jun 17, 2009, 4:39:24 PM6/17/09
Stuart B wrote:
> I have an R Reg Mondeo HB and yesterday noticed a couple of things
> that I'm sure weren't like that recently. First thing I noticed when
> I parked up to go fishing was that having locked the car and set the
> alarm( indicators flashing) I could still open the nearside rear
> passenger door ,setting the alarm off naturally .What I had to do was
> turn the alarm off,open the opposite passenger door and lock the
> offending door from the inside then shut the doors and set the alarm
> ...all doors were then locked .
>
> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well
> of course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them
> by pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .I
> don't normally lock the doors when using the car but I have done it a
> couple of times and operating the lever I am sure unlocked them all.
>
> It seems likely that something in that rear passenger door is causing
> the problem but any ideas guys ? I guess for some time I may have
> been leaving the car with one door unlocked unbeknown to me ..

mondeos often suffer from stiff external handles, they stay slightly up
instead of springing right down, the only cure is a new handle (the internal
shaft rusts and grows). Worth checking because if the handle is up the lock
probably can't engage, otherwise it might just be a stiff mechanism in the
lock itself and would respond to lube etc.

Stuart B

Jun 17, 2009, 5:52:14 PM6/17/09
On 17 Jun 2009 20:32:27 GMT, Adrian <tooma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
>they were saying:
>
>> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
>> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well of
>> course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them by
>> pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .
>
>Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have deadlocking.

Except that I'm sure I have been able in the past to lock and then
unlock them when in the car .Need to find another Mondeo owner to
check his .

>> It seems likely that something in that rear passenger door is causing
>> the problem but any ideas guys ?
>
>Probably just a sticky solenoid or lock in that door or fractured wiring
>in that door shut.

I'll check that

Adrian

Jun 17, 2009, 5:53:18 PM6/17/09
Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

>>> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
>>> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well
>>> of course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them
>>> by pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .

>>Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have
>>deadlocking.

> Except that I'm sure I have been able in the past to lock and then
> unlock them when in the car .Need to find another Mondeo owner to check
> his .

Did you lock yourself in using the inside lock or the remote?

Stuart B

Jun 17, 2009, 5:59:27 PM6/17/09

Using the door handle on the drivers door .Now I can lock it using
that method but it won't unlock that way .I need to use the fob ...

Stuart B

Jun 17, 2009, 6:47:56 PM6/17/09
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:39:24 GMT, "Mrcheerful" <nbk...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I'll check the handle out .WD 40 here we come .!!!

Adrian

Jun 18, 2009, 2:17:16 AM6/18/09
Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

>>> Except that I'm sure I have been able in the past to lock and then
>>> unlock them when in the car .Need to find another Mondeo owner to
>>> check his .

>>Did you lock yourself in using the inside lock or the remote?

> Using the door handle on the drivers door

Deadlocking shouldn't work on the interior handle. If you think about it,
that'd be a great way to find you've locked yourself in inescapably...

Kostas Kavoussanakis

Jun 18, 2009, 3:54:25 AM6/18/09
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Adrian wrote:

> Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
> they were saying:
>
>> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
>> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well of
>> course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them by
>> pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .
>
> Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have deadlocking.

<Disclaimer>
I have a 2000 Focus. I assume they use the same CL system, but may be
wrong.
</Disclaimer>

In the case of my Focus you need to press the fob key twice (or put
the key to unlock, then lock) to get it to deadlock. You can program
the fob to deadlock by default, but it does not deadlock using the
handle.

You can lock the car from the inside using the switch on the handle;
in fact, I think the UM recommends that you do so for your security.
You can then unlock it using the same method.

Except that Fords are dodgy in that respect. Mine now tends to lock
itself when it's cold and wet. If I lock it from the driver's handle,
I can only unlock it from the passenger's handle (or the fob). And
also, the interior light no longer switches on when I switch off the
engine, I need to open the door.

So, try to see if you can unlock using the passenger internal handle.
Re fixing it, I think it's the controller in the door, but I am not
too sure.

HTH,

Kostas

Stuart B

Jun 18, 2009, 11:45:37 AM6/18/09
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:54:25 +0100, Kostas Kavoussanakis
<kavo...@epcc.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>So, try to see if you can unlock using the passenger internal handle.
>Re fixing it, I think it's the controller in the door, but I am not
>too sure.
>
>HTH,

Tried unlocking using the passenger door inside handle but that
didn't work either .:-(

Gordon H

Jun 18, 2009, 10:13:19 AM6/18/09
In message <5api35tkvcn0p2hn6...@4ax.com>, Stuart B
<xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> writes

>On 17 Jun 2009 20:32:27 GMT, Adrian <tooma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Stuart B <xpoz...@NOSPAMgmail.com> gurgled happily, sounding much like
>>they were saying:
>>
>>> The other thing I found ( not sure why I tried this ) was that when I
>>> was in the car and locked the drivers door(and all the others as well of
>>> course) by pushing the lever inwards I could not then unlock them by
>>> pulling the lever.I had to use the key fob to unlock the doors .
>>
>>Sounds about right - I'd expect most cars of that age to have deadlocking.
>
>Except that I'm sure I have been able in the past to lock and then
>unlock them when in the car .Need to find another Mondeo owner to
>check his .

I always lock the doors using the inside handle when driving at night on
in dodgy areas. Mondeo MkIII by the way.
If I have to leave the car with a female passenger in for a while I get
her to press the inside deadlock for her safety.
I did once deadlock the doors using the remote key, and came back to a
torrent of abuse because the alarm had sounded while I was out of
earshot!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Stuart B

Jun 24, 2009, 2:17:29 PM6/24/09
wrote:

>Stuart B wrote:

I thought I'd cracked the problem earlier .I put two new batteries in
the key fob,went down to the car and tried the fob a few times and all
four interior door handles operated ( the n/s rear door one was
causing a problem before ) so I sat in the car and locked the doors a
couple or three times and all locked and unlocked BUT then they went
back to doing what they did before ...locking but not unlocking
..except by my using the fob to unlock so I'm flummoxed ...I'm
thinking it's not much that's causing it !!!

Mrcheerful

Jun 24, 2009, 2:26:58 PM6/24/09

it may just be the switch that sends the signal to lock (the one inside the
door) some dirt in it would be enough to stop it working every time.

Stuart B

Jun 25, 2009, 5:37:48 AM6/25/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:26:58 GMT, "Mrcheerful" <nbk...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Question is which door ? I guess this is a case of removing the door
card and having a look....is it then visible or do I need to cut the
foam that I believe is under the card ? I'll start with the rear door
that seems to have the more obvious problem .

Mrcheerful

Jun 25, 2009, 3:30:32 PM6/25/09

I would guess that only the front doors will have a switch that will send to
the others, it would not be usual to have the rears unlock the front.