Tyreweld to fix a slow puncture?

paulfoel

Feb 12, 2008, 4:47:39 AM2/12/08
Got a slow leak on one of my front tyres. Not too bad but needs to be
topped up very week.

To be honest, I think its because the rim of the alloy is slightly
dented so its not sitting properly.

Someone here in work has suggested getting a can of tyre weld and
sticking some of this in to seal up the leak.

Does this really work? I dont want to end up knackering the tyre
completely....

Mike G

Feb 12, 2008, 5:15:25 AM2/12/08

"paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It will work without harming the tyre, but against the idea is the cost of
the tyre sealer, and the possible additional cost of cleaning the wheel when
a new tyre is eventually fitted.
Mike.

Conor

Feb 12, 2008, 5:21:12 AM2/12/08
In article <84c1ac06-d20c-436d-bfb5-5a7fd9833ee6
@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, paulfoel says...
It'll knacker the tyre completely. In addition to that, some places
charge more for changing a tyre when this shit has been used.

It's designed as a "get me home" product, not a run on until the tread
runs out.

--
Conor

As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.

paulfoel

Feb 12, 2008, 5:43:08 AM2/12/08
Two different opinions here.... :-(

Mike G

Feb 12, 2008, 6:02:50 AM2/12/08

> Two different opinions here.... :-(

Conor is wrong.
It doesn't physically harm the tyre at all.
He is right as far as saying it's designed as a temporary repair though, not
a permanent one, but in the case of a slow puncture, I don't see any
problem, apart from that of cost.
You certainly wont be any worse off as far as te leak goes if you use it.
Mike.

James

Feb 12, 2008, 6:03:26 AM2/12/08

"paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Two different opinions here.... :-(

I'll be glad to offer an pinion from experience. Its a handy product for an
emergency if you don't have a spare or the you get more than one puncture.
But as your is a slow puncture it gives you the world of time to get down to
a tyre centre and get it repaired if it is legally safe to do. This costs
£7.50 at my local place possibly a few pounds depending on where you go. I
use a small tyre centre.

If you roll into one of these places with a can of goop in the wheel they
don't like this, they will either send you to kwik fit for a giggle or
charge you more if they can be bothered for the mess if causes.

So simple enough don't bother go and get it repaired.

HTH

Terry F.

Feb 12, 2008, 6:43:43 AM2/12/08

It's easy enough to check - lay the tyre flat and put some water
around the rim, watching for bubbles. Alloys often leak around the
rims, not necessarily because they've been distorted, but because of
corrosion.

From what I've heard, sticking tyre weld in the tyre would knacker it
if you had a real puncture.

Conor

Feb 12, 2008, 9:40:01 AM2/12/08
In article <13r2v7t...@corp.supernews.com>, Mike G says...

> "paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Two different opinions here.... :-(
>
> Conor is wrong.
> It doesn't physically harm the tyre at all.

Where did I say it does?

Clive George

Feb 12, 2008, 9:49:23 AM2/12/08
"Conor" <conor_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <13r2v7t...@corp.supernews.com>, Mike G says...
>>
>> "paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Two different opinions here.... :-(
>>
>> Conor is wrong.
>> It doesn't physically harm the tyre at all.
>
> Where did I say it does?

"It'll knacker the tyre completely."

Now, unless the tyre is sentient and is undergoing mental anguish from
having its insides coated with goop, I suggest that implies physical harm.

cheers,
clive

Chris Bartram

Feb 12, 2008, 9:56:10 AM2/12/08
Also, if the wheel is damaged in some way, you should be fixing that.

Pete M

Feb 12, 2008, 10:39:55 AM2/12/08

I know from my experiences with the bike tyre garage that they seriously
hate the stuff. They reckon it rots the inside of the tyre after a few
weeks, but the tyre will stay up until it fails - this might be weeks,
months or even years, but having seen the insides of some tyres it has
been in, I wouldn't use it for more than a few days then I'd get the
tyre repaired and the goop washed out.

As an aside, one of the places I used to work used to get a variant of
it put into its tyres as a matter of course in order to stop punctures.
It worked-ish, but when the tyre did eventually get a puncture it was
fucked. End of story, properly knackered.

--
Pete M - OMF#9
Range Rover Turbo

Fred

Feb 12, 2008, 11:12:54 AM2/12/08

"paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It wont harm the tyre but it will annoy the fitter when it's changed for a
new tyre, if it's a bead leak then you should just get it repaired, it
should cost less than a tenner.

paulfoel

Feb 13, 2008, 4:51:42 AM2/13/08
On Feb 12, 2:56 pm, Chris Bartram <n...@delete-me.piglet-net.net>
wrote:
> Mike G wrote:
>
> > "paulfoel" <BertieBigBol...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Also, if the wheel is damaged in some way, you should be fixing that.- Hide quoted text -

Alloy wheel. Hit with hammer to straighten ?

Duncan Wood

Feb 13, 2008, 5:44:18 AM2/13/08
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:51:42 -0000, paulfoel <BertieB...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Darwinian evolution in action.

Chris Bartram

Feb 13, 2008, 6:25:32 AM2/13/08
I'd take it to a alloy refurber. Belting it might work, but might
crack/weaken it.

gusta...@googlemail.com

Feb 13, 2008, 6:33:26 AM2/13/08
On Feb 12, 11:03 am, "James" <Ja...@here.com> wrote:
> "paulfoel" <BertieBigBol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I once had a hell of a job getting a tyre fixed after using Holts
TyreWeld (no spare wheel on my car so no option). Four places wouldn't
touch the tyre quoting "It's knackered once you use that stuff" or
some made-up EU Health & Safety legislation - basically they all
wanted to sell me a new tyre. So then I took it to an independent tyre
shop - quick wipe out with some paper towel, puncture fixed for £10 -
job's a good 'un. Afterwards I e-mailed Holts and the reply was -

1) TyreWeld does absolutely NO damage to a tyre and does not impede
the ability for a puncture to be fixed.
2) Holts have an agreement with National Tyres - they will attempt to
fix any puncture after TyreWeld has been used but may charge a "small"
extra fee for the cleaning of the wheel and tyre.

Alf

Feb 13, 2008, 3:40:03 PM2/13/08
I had similar - took wheel to local guy who removed tyre and cleaned the rim
with wire brush etc and then fitted tyre and been ok since.

--
Protected by www.SpamJab.com {xxsVSmRnak9FCDtfEN}

Abo

Feb 14, 2008, 7:50:39 AM2/14/08
Pete M wrote:

> I know from my experiences with the bike tyre garage that they seriously
> hate the stuff. They reckon it rots the inside of the tyre after a few
> weeks, but the tyre will stay up until it fails - this might be weeks,
> months or even years, but having seen the insides of some tyres it has
> been in, I wouldn't use it for more than a few days then I'd get the
> tyre repaired and the goop washed out.

I used it on a SEAT Ibiza banger a few years back to fix a slow puncture
and it lasted for the couple of months I had the car. Couldn't say how
long it lasted in total, but I know the lad I sold it to was driving it
around a few months later

--
Abo

Knight Of The Road

Feb 15, 2008, 5:08:08 PM2/15/08

"paulfoel" <BertieB...@gmail.com> wrote

Alloy wheel. Hit with hammer to straighten ?

Yes, just don't hammer dirctly onto the wheel, mitigate the force with a
block of wood and you should be able to straighten it out.

Regards, Vince

Snowdonia trucking POV- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_qusgJlk3M

paulfoel

Feb 18, 2008, 6:41:04 AM2/18/08
On Feb 15, 10:08 pm, "Knight Of The Road" <russiatruck...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "paulfoel" <BertieBigBol...@gmail.com> wrote

> Alloy wheel. Hit with hammer to straighten ?
>
> Yes, just don't hammer dirctly onto the wheel, mitigate the force with a
> block of wood and you should be able to straighten it out.

Sounds like good advice...

suckegg...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2014, 7:35:27 AM10/20/14
can i put goop in my motorcycle tyres that already have goop inside?

Mrcheerful

Oct 20, 2014, 7:56:03 AM10/20/14
On 20/10/2014 12:35, suckegg...@gmail.com wrote:
> can i put goop in my motorcycle tyres that already have goop inside?

Yes, provided they are not totally full already.

Don

Oct 20, 2014, 1:34:04 PM10/20/14
On 20/10/2014 12:35, suckegg...@gmail.com wrote:
> can i put goop in my motorcycle tyres that already have goop inside?

DON'T DO IT! I did this a few weeks back and no one will touch the
tyre to repair it after that. Cost me £120 for a new tyre.

Mike Tomlinson

Oct 20, 2014, 11:09:55 PM10/20/14
En el artículo <m23h27$b26$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, Don
<hemmin...@orange.net> escribió:

>DON'T DO IT! I did this a few weeks back and no one will touch the
>tyre to repair it after that. Cost me £120 for a new tyre.

Depends which goop you use. Some are water soluble and can be washed
off.

I used some stuff called Green Slime to fix a slow puncture on a Mini.
It worked.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)