BMW 3 series (E90) - emergency boot release

ch...@chris-howard.co.uk

May 28, 2014, 11:12:28 AM5/28/14

I have a 2009, BMW 3 series (E90).

Because I bought it second hand I didn't get the manual.

The boot can be opened either from the keyfob, or by pressing the catch on the tailgate. Either way, it seem to use an actuator to open the mechanism.

Because my back seats don't fold down, how on earth will I be able to get into the boot if the actuator ever fails?

Also, looking online, there should be a tag thing hanging down from the boot lid to allow it to be opened from the inside. Mine doesn't seem to have this tag.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris.

Adrian

May 28, 2014, 11:33:26 AM5/28/14
On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:12:28 -0700, chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 2009, BMW 3 series (E90).
>
> Because I bought it second hand I didn't get the manual.

A two second google found...
http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual.pdf
http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual_without_iDrive.pdf
depending on if you have iDrive or not.

> The boot can be opened either from the keyfob, or by pressing the catch
> on the tailgate. Either way, it seem to use an actuator to open the
> mechanism.

As with the vast majority of modern cars.

> Because my back seats don't fold down, how on earth will I be able to
> get into the boot if the actuator ever fails?

Angle grinder. Or, according to p32, you put the key in the keyhole in
the bootlid and turn it. Modern technology, eh?

> Also, looking online, there should be a tag thing hanging down from the
> boot lid to allow it to be opened from the inside. Mine doesn't seem to
> have this tag.

It's been a US requirement for a decade or so, to help kidnap victims
escape, but since that's less of an issue over here, it's not required
here. And since the little flourescent tag costs about €0.02 per car, why
fit what isn't required? B'sides, you don't actually WANT your kidnap
victims to escape, do you?

ch...@chris-howard.co.uk

May 28, 2014, 11:50:29 AM5/28/14
Thanks Adrian,

I had previously googled for the manual. The one you found looks a bit different to one I was looking at.

I'll have a look at the boot tonight and see if I can find the keyhole.

Thanks - Chris.

Adrian

May 28, 2014, 11:53:03 AM5/28/14
On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:50:29 -0700, chris wrote:

> I'll have a look at the boot tonight and see if I can find the keyhole.

Looks to be on the underside of the upper edge of the number plate
recess, RH end.

Dave Plowman (News)

May 28, 2014, 12:00:29 PM5/28/14
In article <97558320-fc27-4852...@googlegroups.com>,
<ch...@chris-howard.co.uk> wrote:
> The boot can be opened either from the keyfob, or by pressing the catch
> on the tailgate. Either way, it seem to use an actuator to open the
> mechanism.

> Because my back seats don't fold down, how on earth will I be able to
> get into the boot if the actuator ever fails?

Just like most saloons?

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

ch...@chris-howard.co.uk

May 28, 2014, 3:04:58 PM5/28/14
Hi.

I've had a look. No sign of a key hole I'm afraid.

I've uploaded a pic here - http://chris-howard.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wpid-wp-1401303660566.jpeg

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mrcheerful

May 28, 2014, 3:10:18 PM5/28/14
have you looked under the rear seat squab, some bmw have the release
cable there if there is no keyhole.

The Revd

May 28, 2014, 3:15:19 PM5/28/14
On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:04:58 -0700 (PDT), ch...@chris-howard.co.uk
wrote:
A crowbar will usually do the trick.
Message has been deleted

Adrian

May 28, 2014, 6:20:00 PM5/28/14
The pic in the handbook PDF showed it much further right, almost at the
end.

The Revd

May 29, 2014, 8:58:25 AM5/29/14
On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:15:01 +0200, The Peeler
<finish...@themoronicRevd.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 May 2014 12:15:19 -0700, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of
>sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, FAKING his time zone again,
>farted:
>
>>>I've had a look. No sign of a key hole I'm afraid.
>>>
>>>I've uploaded a pic here - http://chris-howard.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wpid-wp-1401303660566.jpeg
>>>
>>>Any other ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>
>> A crowbar will usually do the trick.
>
>Are you sure, I'm psychopath? <BG>

Absolutely, sure anus! <GB>

richard hall

Apr 27, 2016, 10:18:01 AM4/27/16
replying to chris, richard hall wrote:
Hi Chris I've found your bmw forum about the boot release.did you fathom out
how to open the boot with no key/button.i have the problem right now,can't get
in the boot and don't have split/fold down seats.any help appreciated thanks
richard

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/re-punto-annoyance-180718-.htm

Aloysius

Apr 27, 2016, 2:43:10 PM4/27/16
On 27/04/2016 15:18, richard hall wrote:
> replying to chris, richard hall wrote:
> Hi Chris I've found your bmw forum about the boot release.did you fathom
> out
> how to open the boot with no key/button.i have the problem right
> now,can't get
> in the boot and don't have split/fold down seats.any help appreciated
> thanks
> richard

I once saw a man who had locked themselves out of a Beemer. After
several hours an AA van appeared and the mechanic took the rear number
plate off, drilled a hole and did something to release the lock. He then
put the number plate back on. I presume the hole was welded shut later.

Apparently the AA were talked through the process by BMW

Chris Whelan

Apr 27, 2016, 4:08:25 PM4/27/16
Aloysius wrote:

[...]

> I once saw a man who had locked themselves out of a Beemer. After
> several hours an AA van appeared and the mechanic took the rear number
> plate off, drilled a hole and did something to release the lock. He then
> put the number plate back on. I presume the hole was welded shut later.
>
> Apparently the AA were talked through the process by BMW

It would be more likely that the patrol was being talked through the
procedure by their helpdesk.

The AA have a database of the way to gain entry into virtually every vehicle
on the road. In many cases this is by powering up the central locking via an
external battery pack, which may be what the hole was for.

For obvious reasons, the information is not held in the patrol's vehicle!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Steve Walker

Apr 28, 2016, 7:56:08 PM4/28/16
On 27/04/2016 21:08, Chris Whelan wrote:
> Aloysius wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I once saw a man who had locked themselves out of a Beemer. After
>> several hours an AA van appeared and the mechanic took the rear number
>> plate off, drilled a hole and did something to release the lock. He then
>> put the number plate back on. I presume the hole was welded shut later.
>>
>> Apparently the AA were talked through the process by BMW
>
> It would be more likely that the patrol was being talked through the
> procedure by their helpdesk.
>
> The AA have a database of the way to gain entry into virtually every vehicle
> on the road. In many cases this is by powering up the central locking via an
> external battery pack, which may be what the hole was for.

Once while abroad our keys got locked in the car and I broke in by
getting under the car and shaorting contacts on the alarm box to open
the central locking. I'm sure it is a lot harder with more modern cars
though.

Chris Whelan

Apr 29, 2016, 3:52:46 AM4/29/16
Steve Walker wrote:

[...]
>> The AA have a database of the way to gain entry into virtually every
>> vehicle on the road. In many cases this is by powering up the central
>> locking via an external battery pack, which may be what the hole was for.
>
> Once while abroad our keys got locked in the car and I broke in by
> getting under the car and shaorting contacts on the alarm box to open
> the central locking. I'm sure it is a lot harder with more modern cars
> though.

Not too much.

One well-known model could be accessed by removing the two screws holding
the high-level brake light in place, the using a battery pack to power up a
certain wire that went to the tail gate lock.

Another involves removing the n/s front wheel and wheel arch liner to power
up the central locking.

When my stepson was an AA patrol he would often get calls for 'key locked in
car' at school run times. The typical scenario was a mum giving a child her
keys to play with whilst strapping them in, then stopping to chat to
someone. The child then manages to hit the lock button.

On one occasion, the mum was so distraught that she was hysterical. The
entry procedure on that car was to jack it up to access part of the loom
under the car. Mum wanted the quickest outcome, so signed a disclaimer
permitting a window to be broken.

BTW, not entirely OT, as one of the above vehicles was a BMW. ;-)

MrCheerful

Apr 29, 2016, 4:50:13 AM4/29/16
My nephew managed to leave his key in the load area of his BMW X5, the
AA/RAC phoned home and found out how to wedge open the tailgate using
little airbags and then fished out the keys.

Deacon22

Dec 17, 2016, 10:18:01 AM12/17/16
replying to chris, Deacon22 wrote:
Hi, I know this is very late but someone else may see it and need the help.
I recently did the same - to gain access to the boot, remove the bottom of the
rear seats.
Remove 5 t50 torx bolts, 2 from seats and 3 from seatbelts.
Wiggle the seat upwards and towards the front of the car.
Have an assistant or axle stand hold the seat up and you climb in the boot.
Connect new battery and open the boot.
If it's the actuator failed, then remove boot lining with 4 x plastic rivet
things and 2 screws behind warning triangle.
2 x 13 mm bolts and the lock is off the boot and it'll open.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/punto-annoyance-47689-.htm

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 17, 2016, 11:13:56 AM12/17/16
In article <3b636$58555729$41b57997$31...@news.flashnewsgroups.com>,
Deacon22 <065b0505594b06f549...@example.com> wrote:
> replying to chris, Deacon22 wrote: Hi, I know this is very late but
> someone else may see it and need the help. I recently did the same - to
> gain access to the boot, remove the bottom of the rear seats. Remove 5
> t50 torx bolts, 2 from seats and 3 from seatbelts. Wiggle the seat
> upwards and towards the front of the car. Have an assistant or axle
> stand hold the seat up and you climb in the boot. Connect new battery
> and open the boot.

If you can get into the car, why not just open the bonnet and use the jump
start connections on the engine?

> If it's the actuator failed, then remove boot lining
> with 4 x plastic rivet things and 2 screws behind warning triangle. 2 x
> 13 mm bolts and the lock is off the boot and it'll open.

Isn't there a pull chord to do this on that model?

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

jackdan

Jun 26, 2017, 9:18:03 AM6/26/17
replying to Dave Plowman (News), jackdan wrote:
Hi all, just need a quick bit of advice

Symptoms: Neither the remote fob or the boot handle will release the boot
lock. Using the remote I can't hear the clicking of the lock mechanism moving
so it's definitely dead. and on driving I get the annoying "Boot open" bong
every few minutes. I've check fuse 61 (which I believe is the correct one) and
it's still good. Also I believe this fuse covers the glove box light and
that's working.

I know our american cousins get the valet switch in the glovebox where as mine
doesn't, so it's not that.

Above the number plate there's no key hole to release the boot.

Nothing has changed in the car, the boot operated perfectly last night when I
got home, worked perfectly this morning when I opened it to put my bags in.
The first thing I noticed was as I drove off... "Bong!, Boot open" and I'm
stuck with the above symptoms.

Any Ideas?

russell...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2017, 6:26:05 PM9/2/17
Hi, I have a BMW E90 325i which has developed a fault with the boot, I am unable to release it both with the remote or the key, at the same time I have a failed reverse light and brake light both on the boot passenger side. The dash warning system informs me of these faults although it states the boot is open.

Does anyone know of a way to open my boot, I suspect it will mean braking a light or drilling a hole to access the lock, any help would be very welcome.

I have checked all fused related to the door locks!

alan_m

Sep 2, 2017, 7:07:24 PM9/2/17
On 02/09/2017 23:26, russell...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I have a BMW E90 325i which has developed a fault with the boot, I am unable to release it both with the remote or the key, at the same time I have a failed reverse light and brake light both on the boot passenger side. The dash warning system informs me of these faults although it states the boot is open.

Page 23 to 24 of
http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual_without_iDrive.pdf

suggests there is a switch in the glove box which may be inhibiting the
boot from being opened.

Also it suggests that there is an emergency release in the boot. I
assume that the back seats fold down in order to gain access from within
the car.

MrCheerful

Sep 3, 2017, 3:50:13 AM9/3/17
The emergency release was mandated in the USA so that kidnap victims or
children could get out. Legislation caused by a one woman crusade by
Janette Fennell

Peter Hill

Sep 3, 2017, 3:57:55 AM9/3/17
On 17-Dec-16 4:09 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <3b636$58555729$41b57997$31...@news.flashnewsgroups.com>,
> Deacon22 <065b0505594b06f549...@example.com> wrote:
>> replying to chris, Deacon22 wrote: Hi, I know this is very late but
>> someone else may see it and need the help. I recently did the same - to
>> gain access to the boot, remove the bottom of the rear seats. Remove 5
>> t50 torx bolts, 2 from seats and 3 from seatbelts. Wiggle the seat
>> upwards and towards the front of the car. Have an assistant or axle
>> stand hold the seat up and you climb in the boot. Connect new battery
>> and open the boot.
>
> If you can get into the car, why not just open the bonnet and use the jump
> start connections on the engine?

Note the "connect new battery" (or put it on charge). To obtain better
balance (aiming for 50/50 front/rear) BMW put the battery in the boot on
many models.

There has also been a trend with cars that have the battery under the
bonnet, starting from late 90's, to mount the battery nearer the
bulkhead behind the front axle. Having the battery in what was the
conventional location hanging out in front of the axle adjacent to the
slam panel gives it maximum leverage and front weight bias.

Scrap BMW's are a go to source for cheap battery re-location wiring for
Nissan 200SX and any other tail happy RWD cars that have the battery in
the conventional location.

M Lilley

Jul 11, 2018, 8:18:03 AM7/11/18
replying to jackdan, M Lilley wrote:
Have found any solutions to this problem as I'm going the same thing also with
the passenger side fog light reverse and boot lid lights out really quite
annoying

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/punto-annoyance-47689-.htm

dudley...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 7:00:07 AM3/11/19
Don't suppose you have found how to fix this I have the exact same problem

MrCheerful

Mar 11, 2019, 11:15:07 AM3/11/19
On 11/03/2019 11:00, dudley...@gmail.com wrote:
> Don't suppose you have found how to fix this I have the exact same problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7Au85aWDE

stephen...@gmail.com

May 22, 2019, 5:28:52 AM5/22/19
Can the switch be put back in place tho

itali...@gmail.com

May 23, 2019, 4:44:58 PM5/23/19
Even if you did have the optional (£400!) folding seats, it wouldn’t help, as you can’t fold them from inside the cabin.

surftr...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 7:39:27 PM5/25/19
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 6:44:58 AM UTC+10, itali...@gmail.com wrote:
> Even if you did have the optional (£400!) folding seats, it wouldn’t help, as you can’t fold them from inside the cabin.

I was able to reach through the centre access hole and release the fold down seats, you need long arms, but still unable to release the boot catch.

Martin

May 30, 2019, 8:18:07 AM5/30/19
replying to russellharden69, Martin wrote:
Did you manage to sort your problem Russell as I have same problem now, I
think my work bag strap has caught in the locking mechanism and now will not
open. I have same symptoms of faults showing on fog and reverse lights not
working and have fixed seats with no boot access. Please help .

sargur...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2019, 8:13:17 AM7/5/19
Hi Chris
I have exactly the same problem. Battery is disconnected and boot got closed. No key hole.
How do I open the boot?
Any help would be much appreciated
regards
Sarguroh

rpbar...@yahoo.co.uk

Oct 10, 2019, 12:25:18 PM10/10/19
Anyone manage to figure this out, i have a UK 59 plate E90 with the boot open & foglight failure message.

gerrit....@seeff.com

Nov 30, 2019, 2:58:33 PM11/30/19
I have the same problem Russell!! How did you sort it out?

MrCheerful

Nov 30, 2019, 3:01:17 PM11/30/19

rohitga...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2020, 1:47:33 PM1/11/20
I have a 2011 BMW 328Xi. My trunk was not opening for a couple of weeks. I researched various bimmer forums and most people were saying the valet switch in the glove box could be switched off, the actuator would need to be replaced etc etc. I tried all those things but my problem was not recalled. Finally, I took my car to an experience bmw mechanic and he knew exactly what the problem could have been. The electrical wiring harness that connects to the trunk had snapped. It is a common issue according to him and happens with wear and tear. BMW was too stingy to give a couple of extra inches length to the harness because of which the wires snap. $80 and my issue was resolved in 45 min. These DIY forums are good but nothing beats an experienced mechanic who specializes in European cars. Hopefully this helps someone.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 12, 2020, 8:26:14 AM1/12/20
In article <488d3dac-2bf4-41e1...@googlegroups.com>,
It's the flexing of the wires that cause them to snap. Common on other
models too. But may depend on how frequently the boot is used.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

boledi...@gmail.com

May 19, 2020, 4:56:46 PM5/19/20
Hi, that can be a failing REM which is responsible for all electronic from the rear windows going backwards. I have the same problem I still pulling hair from my head wondering who sort it out for me. F30 316i

178pa...@gmail.com

May 22, 2020, 9:46:40 AM5/22/20
TAKE OUT NUMBER 7 FUSE.

BINGA

Mar 28, 2023, 1:45:05 PM3/28/23
JACK DID YOU MANAGE TO GET INTO YOUR BMW BOOT LID IF SO HOW I HAVE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/bmw-3-series-e90-emergency-boot-release-179137-.htm