trangia recommendations

Stephen

Apr 10, 2015, 5:04:02 AM4/10/15
Good morning,

I'm thinking of buying a Trangia. Can anyone advise me on which model
to buy?

Iw as thinking of the 27 series but some reviews on the internet say
go for the 25 series as it is only slightly bigger? Some reviews say
the 27 will not feed two hungry people; do you agree?

Should I go for the non-stick coating or hard anodised or not bother?
Reviews say that both the NS and HA both wear off, particularly where
you fit the handle. Is that true? Other reviews say the NS is very
good, so reviews seem to contradict each other. Can hard anodising
wear off, I thought it was a chemical reaction?

Thanks.

Whiskers

Apr 10, 2015, 9:46:30 AM4/10/15
On 2015-04-10, Stephen <inv...@invalid.org> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a Trangia. Can anyone advise me on which model
> to buy?
>
> Iw as thinking of the 27 series but some reviews on the internet say
> go for the 25 series as it is only slightly bigger? Some reviews say
> the 27 will not feed two hungry people; do you agree?

Unless space is a critical factor, I recommend the larger size.

> Should I go for the non-stick coating or hard anodised or not bother?
> Reviews say that both the NS and HA both wear off, particularly where
> you fit the handle. Is that true? Other reviews say the NS is very
> good, so reviews seem to contradict each other. Can hard anodising
> wear off, I thought it was a chemical reaction?
>
> Thanks.

Any surface finish will wear off. I think the hard anodised finish is
more durable - and I worry about what happens to the non-stick coating
as it wears off, so I prefer to avoid all non-stick cooking pans.

Use only wooden or silicone spoons etc and the pans will last a lot
longer. Don't worry about the scratches left by the pan-grip, they're
just cosmetic.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Neil

Apr 12, 2015, 8:31:34 PM4/12/15
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:04:00 +0100, Stephen <inv...@invalid.org>
wrote:
If it's just for you alone, the 27 will do - it does for me solo. But
if space/weight is not an issue, get the larger - better to have spare
capacity than not enough! I would recomend getting a "K" version
with the kettle included.

I cannot comment on the hard anodised or the non-stick Trangia pans,
as I have a basic raw ally set. However, my experience of HA and NS
with other pots and pans, is that HA is more durable than NS, but will
eventually wear off if you scour it! HA is an electro-chemical
formation of aluminium oxide, which is a very hard oxide(think-
aluminium oxide emery paper - harder than steel), but ONLY at the
surface! NS is easily damaged by over heating, and damage by metallic
utensils!

Think of NS as an aid to cleaning up, and HA as a protective coating
to prevent highly acidic of alkali food(curry, chilli, etc.) eroding
the aluminium and increasing your own intake of aluminium!

Bet you're more confused than ever now!

Neil