Solar battery chargers?

1 view

Bramble-Stick

Dec 6, 2007, 6:56:35 PM12/6/07
Does anyone have experience of using solar trickle chargers to keep boat
batteries healthy?
I'd be interested in any recommendations/ones to avoid/don't bother
opinions.
I'm looking at keeping 2x110ah batteries happy over the winter - possible?

Cheers, Bramblestick

Gary G Jones

Dec 7, 2007, 4:26:25 PM12/7/07
The bigger the panel (more output) the better. Do not bother with these
little tiny plug in a fag lighter trickle charge solar panels.
I have used a 15w output solar panel on my battery for 3 years now, the
battery keeps pretty much 100% ready to go.
The solar panel I have is at least 6 years old, so I am sure the more upto
date ones would be much better.
Make sure that you use a charge controller with them as well.

GGJ

"Bramble-Stick" <bi...@hogmail.com> wrote in message

Bramble-Stick

Dec 8, 2007, 7:27:20 PM12/8/07
Thanks for that - encouraging to know that they do actually work! What kit
are you using?
Cheers,
Bramblestick

"Gary G Jones" <ggjggj...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Gary G Jones

Dec 9, 2007, 6:02:17 AM12/9/07
The solar panel I use is rated at 15w no idea who's make it is though, but
its a pretty old one, so I am sure that a more upto date one would be
smaller in size and more efficient than the one I have.
Maplins do a 15W panel for about £60 these days.
The charge regulator i use came from Maplins its a ACCU the part number is
N82AU about £12.
This set up has worked very well for me.
I will see if I can find a makers name on the solar panel next time I'm down
the boat yard.

GGJ

"Bramble-Stick" <bi...@hogmail.com> wrote in message

Nigel

Dec 11, 2007, 5:00:04 AM12/11/07
I use one of those "little tiny plug in a fag lighter trickle charge solar
panels" and they work really well. I always return to a fully charged
battery, even through the winter. Paid £7.99 on line a couple of years
ago.

He never did care for the river, did Montmorency.

>>> On 07/12/07 at 21:26, in message
<NJmdnRWaf9gcJ8Ta...@bt.com>,

kronosb

Jul 27, 2009, 1:37:53 PM7/27/09
In article <475E5FA4.B...@reply.to.list.only>, Nigel says...

>I use one of those "little tiny plug in a fag lighter trickle charge solar
>panels" and they work really well. I always return to a fully charged
>battery, even through the winter. Paid £7.99 on line a couple of years
>ago.
>--

><NJmdnRWaf9gcJ8Ta...@bt.com>,
>Gary G Jones<ggjggj...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> The bigger the panel (more output) the better. Do not bother with these
>> little tiny plug in a fag lighter trickle charge solar panels.
>> I have used a 15w output solar panel on my battery for 3 years now, the
>> battery keeps pretty much 100% ready to go.
>> The solar panel I have is at least 6 years old, so I am sure the more
>> upto
>> date ones would be much better.
>> Make sure that you use a charge controller with them as well.
>>
>> GGJ
>>

>> "Bramble-Stick" <bi...@hogmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Does anyone have experience of using solar trickle chargers to keep boat
>

>>> batteries healthy?
>>> I'd be interested in any recommendations/ones to avoid/don't bother
>>> opinions.
>>> I'm looking at keeping 2x110ah batteries happy over the winter -
>> possible?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Bramblestick

kronosb reply:

I just uploaded my solar boat project. I will add a video with the details in a
week or so.

I hope this will help anyone looking to do the same.

http://solarpowerpontoonboat.blogspot.com/