Re: Quick reminder that Baofengs are cancer.

Julian Macassey

Feb 20, 2024, 6:24:49 AMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:05:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
>
> Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
> writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?

So, how are they a cancer?

Cheap, flxible, programable.

Cheaper than Katie Price.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

mm0fmf

Feb 20, 2024, 8:13:08 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 11:24, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:05:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
>>
>> Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
>> writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
>
> So, how are they a cancer?
>
> Cheap, flxible, programable.
>
> Cheaper than Katie Price.

Most of them are completely fucking useless when there's any nearby
sources of RF or you put a better antenna on them.

Julian Macassey

Feb 20, 2024, 12:16:25 PMFeb 20
Well, I have used them UV-5R to UV-5R, of course for the money I
don't expect much, but when you can buy a UV-5R, a steak dinner and a bottle
of plonk plus change with a hundred quid note, that's not a bad deal.

You would think with walkie-talkies so cheap the 2M band would be
clogged, but it seems not.

Julian Macassey

Feb 20, 2024, 12:26:08 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:43:45 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 20/02/2024 um 11:24 schrieb Julian Macassey:
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:05:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Have you got a problem with that? I'll catch you outside.
>>>
>>> Seriously, why is it that anytime you are online, a Yank jumps in and
>>> writes "Buy a *feng". Do these idiots get commissions?
>>
>> So, how are they a cancer?
> Yes.
>>
>> Cheap, flxible, programable.
> They are basically illegal, as they surely don't comply with EU rules
> (they might do now, since the UK is out). Even the CE logo is fake.

> They are difficult to program.

There is software that helps and you can programme it to listen
outside the amateur bands.

> They attract the wrong crowd.

Obviously a very quiet crowd.

>> Cheaper than Katie Price.
>
> You're wrong on this too.

Katie is not cheap? Well if you add the price of the rubber tits.

A. non Eyemouse

Feb 20, 2024, 1:04:24 PMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 17:26, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 14:43:45 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Am 20/02/2024 um 11:24 schrieb Julian Macassey:

>>> So, how are they a cancer?
>> Yes.

Only in the state of california.

>>> Cheap, flxible, programable.
>> They are basically illegal, as they surely don't comply with EU rules
>> (they might do now, since the UK is out). Even the CE logo is fake.

As a Radio Amateur you're entitled to design/build your own equipment as
you're responsible for ensuring it's stability, spectral purity etc.

Take a look at Ofcom's Interface Requirements and decide which ones you
think apply. Bonus question - what has replaced the CE marking in the UK?

>> They are difficult to program.

No more than equivalent Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu models.

> There is software that helps and you can programme it to listen
> outside the amateur bands.

Chirp (and others). Listen? How many "hammy mens" have them programmed
up on 446MHz and UK simple light frequencies?

>> They attract the wrong crowd.

<snipped> I'm all out of LOLs now.

--
Mouse.