Southgate Amateur Radio News for Saturday 4 February 2012

Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed

Feb 4, 2012, 6:27:31 AM2/4/12
Southgate Amateur Radio News RSS Feed

IARU Special WRC Report No. 2

Rod Stafford W6ROD, Secretary International Amateur Radio Union, has
released a further report on WRC-12 taking place in Geneva

K1JT addresses World Radiocommunication Conference

Professor Joe Taylor, amateur radio operator K1JT and 1993 Nobel laureate
in physics, briefly addressed the plenary session of the 2012 ITU World
Radiocommunication Conference in Geneva, Switzerland, on February 3, 2012

Khartoum Amateur Radio Satellite Ground Station

Students at the University of Khartoum are undertaking a CubeSat project
KN-SAT1 and Nader, ST2NH has made a video of their recently completed
ground station

Wythall Radio Rally 11th March 2012

Wythall Radio Club will be holding their 27th Annual Radio Rally on Sunday
11th March at Woodrush Sports Centre, Shawhurst Lane, Hollywood,
Birmingham, B47 5JW

Scotland to Australia with 5 Watts via long path

A video posted on Youtube shows Callum, 2M0CYG in Scotland working a
station in Australia using just 5 watts

DCC - Amateur Radio Emergency Communications

Curt Bartholomew N3GQ of the FCC gave a talk to the 2011 TAPR Digital
Communications Conference about using digital modes in Amateur Radio Emcomm

ARISS contact planned with technical college in Poland

On Saturday February 4, 2012 at approximately 12.41 UTC, which is 13.41
CEWT, an educational ARISS contact is planned with the Polytechnic school
in Walbrzych, Poland

United Nations recommends IRESC for Special Status, one above the IARU
status

On the session’s third day, NGO Committee Recommends 15 Organizations for
Special Consultative Status with Economic and Social Council, Postpones
Action on 45

Propagation de K7RA

Here are some yearly averages this bulletin neglected at the beginning of
the year

New rules for 5 MHz (60 meters) to go into effect March 5

On November 18, the FCC released a Report and Order, defining new rules for
the 60 meter (5 MHz) band

3.4 GHz in Electronic Communications Committee Newsletter

The February edition of the free ECC newsletter features an article on
mobile broadband in 3.4-3.8 GHz

DX News from the ARRL

The American Radio Relay League's round-up of the forthcoming week's DX
activity

Amateur Radio World Castles Award

WCA and DMHP pedition CS4ODX/P from Forte do Negrito

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mm0fmf

Feb 4, 2012, 9:34:34 AM2/4/12
Spike wrote:

> Anyone know what band this was on? The You Tube video was not well
> focussed, and the band used isn't mentioned in the write-up. ICBA to
> view the whole thing just to find this minor piece of information, if
> indeed it's mentioned at all.

It's not well focussed but you can clearly see the display showing
14.1?? during the first few seconds of the video. In fact it could be
14.195 but there isn't the background cacophony of jungle noises,
grunting, squeaking, baboon calls, carriers, tones and general pishing
about that accompanies operation on that frequency. ;-)

You're right that it doesn't say which band was used. If the QSO is
worthy of reporting then it omitting essential information is annoying.
But not as annoying as ending the article with "73's". Or saying
"operator name here is" when "my name is" is shorter and clearer.

Ian Jackson

Feb 4, 2012, 9:45:28 AM2/4/12
In message <SlbXq.91959$WX2....@newsfe28.ams2>, mm0fmf
<no...@mailinator.com> writes
>Spike wrote:
>> Anyone know what band this was on? The You Tube video was not well
>> focussed, and the band used isn't mentioned in the write-up. ICBA to
>> view the whole thing just to find this minor piece of information, if
>> indeed it's mentioned at all.
>
>It's not well focussed but you can clearly see the display showing
>14.1?? during the first few seconds of the video. In fact it could be
>14.195 but there isn't the background cacophony of jungle noises,
>grunting, squeaking, baboon calls, carriers, tones and general pishing
>about that accompanies operation on that frequency. ;-)

I was also going to ask what the frequency was (a glaring omission). To
be honest, I simply can't make out what the display says.

>You're right that it doesn't say which band was used. If the QSO is
>worthy of reporting then it omitting essential information is annoying.
>But not as annoying as ending the article with "73's". Or saying
>"operator name here is" when "my name is" is shorter and clearer.

It wasn't 10m, was it (as this has recently been pretty lively)? If so,
that would explain the lack of the usual 14.195MHz rubbish.
--
Ian
Message has been deleted

Thermionic Onion

Feb 4, 2012, 10:14:03 AM2/4/12
Looks like 14.193/14.195Mhz.

DieSea

Feb 4, 2012, 11:07:38 AM2/4/12

"Spike" <Aero.Spike@S&T.invalid> wrote in message

| Ian Jackson wrote:
|
| >In message <SlbXq.91959$WX2....@newsfe28.ams2>, mm0fmf
| ><no...@mailinator.com> writes
|
| Me neither...blurry eyes and even blurrier video aren't a good
| combination :-(
|
| --
|
| Spike

You should have borrowed Franks glasses

The video would have bean even blurrier

--

DieSea

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

james stewart

Feb 4, 2012, 2:23:17 PM2/4/12
27.555 ? .......

Thermionic Onion

Feb 4, 2012, 2:43:03 PM2/4/12
I make it 14.193Mhz.

doug

Feb 4, 2012, 9:01:54 PM2/4/12
On Feb 4, 7:43 pm, Thermionic Onion <punkbisc...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I make it 14.193Mhz.

Looks like 14.195.30Mhz.
Message has been deleted

james stewart

Feb 5, 2012, 3:47:35 AM2/5/12

> But not as annoying as ending the article with "73's". Or saying
> "operator name here is" when "my name is" is shorter and clearer.

Wow he only called 20 times .....

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 8:16:55 AM2/5/12
What silky smooth operating skills! A testament to the RSGB's
"progressive no incentive based taught by cb'ers fuckwittery licence
scheme" no less. One other thing, does no one ever tell these twats that
calling and stating you are qrp is akin to begging for a qso?

Len GM0ONX

Feb 5, 2012, 8:31:52 AM2/5/12
Where as running QRO is akin to queue barging! :-;

Turbal

Feb 5, 2012, 8:33:52 AM2/5/12
Fred Roberts wrote:

> One other thing, does no one ever tell these twats that
> calling and stating you are qrp is akin to begging for a qso?

""The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of
exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households.
They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their
parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross
their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.?"

attributated to Socrates by Plato.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gnome7763/m.html?

Ian Jackson

Feb 5, 2012, 10:44:27 AM2/5/12
In message <jgm0c6$8ko$1...@dont-email.me>, Len GM0ONX
<gm0...@goooooglemail.com> writes
Well, it's obvious that those with the strongest signals are those who
tend to get replied to. A 'QRP hint' might just result in the other
station listening a bit more carefully for your signal (even if he has
first to do a "QRZ the QRP station?" in the hope of temporarily
silencing the big boys). Of course, underhanded QRO stations might also
use this ploy in order gain a sneaky advantage.
--
Ian

Len GM0ONX

Feb 5, 2012, 10:48:12 AM2/5/12
Perfectly true, just as some underhanded amateurs will run more than
their legal limit. Nothing like the chance of rare DX to bring out the
bad in some folk! :-)

james stewart

Feb 5, 2012, 11:11:07 AM2/5/12

> scheme" no less. One other thing, does no one ever tell these twats that
> calling and stating you are qrp is akin to begging for a qso?

/m does it for me .......I wouldn't use my 817 in the shack ........

james stewart

Feb 5, 2012, 11:12:08 AM2/5/12

> Perfectly true, just as some underhanded amateurs will run more than
> their legal limit. Nothing like the chance of rare DX to bring out the bad
> in some folk! :-)

...like the big farmer...plenty of bad there.....

Brian Reay.

Feb 5, 2012, 12:17:46 PM2/5/12

"Len GM0ONX" <gm0...@goooooglemail.com> wrote in message
Using "QRP" after one's call has been established practice for years, as
Frank should know. As usual he is just having a go at newcomers.

It is perfectly legal (unlike some claim).

Perhaps Frank lacks the skill to operate QRP and feels the need to have go
at QRP operators and he does suffer power envy- remember his tantrum over EI
getting more power.

(I will only mention in passing his bad language- tut tut, hardly the
language of someone who pretends to have standards. Of course Charlie will
approve as it adds "colour" or some such.)

--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

Ian Jackson

Feb 5, 2012, 2:23:13 PM2/5/12
In message <%QyXq.64193$7N1....@newsfe24.ams2>, Brian Reay.
<seeweb...@ild.com> writes

>Using "QRP" after one's call has been established practice for years, as
>Frank should know. As usual he is just having a go at newcomers.
>
>It is perfectly legal (unlike some claim).

I don't think you you'll find "/QRP" mentioned in your licence, but it
certainly is a transgression which doesn't really do anyone any harm.

Mind you. when I were a lad, the PO/MPT/HO were sticklers for enforcing
the correct ands full format of a callsign. For example, I distinctly
remember a warning in The Bull that certain amateurs had been
reprimanded for using (say) "double-A B" instead of the correct "A A B",
and others for omitting the prefix.

--
Ian

Jimbo ...

Feb 5, 2012, 2:32:25 PM2/5/12

> Perhaps Frank lacks the skill to operate QRP and feels the need to have go
> at QRP operators and he does suffer power envy- remember his tantrum over
> EI getting more power.
>
> (I will only mention in passing his bad language- tut tut, hardly the
> language of someone who pretends to have standards. Of course Charlie will
> approve as it adds "colour" or some such.)

childish and puerile post ........

2m0sil

Feb 5, 2012, 2:46:38 PM2/5/12
well done callum,
fred dont you ever get tired of putting people down?
the guy was rightly proud of working that station qrp but you just had to stick the boot in.
you must have had a bad upbringing to turn out as sad and bitterly twisted as you are.
have you though of therapy i hear it works wonders.
i suspect you were bullied at school and have kept all that pent up anger for years until you came across this forum and found an outlet. you sad sad man.

Dan Ankers MD1CLV

Feb 5, 2012, 3:55:54 PM2/5/12
On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:23:13 +0000, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <%QyXq.64193$7N1....@newsfe24.ams2>, Brian Reay.
><seeweb...@ild.com> writes
>>
>>Using "QRP" after one's call has been established practice for years, as
>>Frank should know. As usual he is just having a go at newcomers.
>>
>>It is perfectly legal (unlike some claim).
>>
>I don't think you you'll find "/QRP" mentioned in your licence, but it
>certainly is a transgression which doesn't really do anyone any harm.

There's a recommendation that certain suffixes be used in certain
circumstances, but nothing to say that other suffixes would be
illegal.

Dan MD1CLV/Couch

Brian Reay.

Feb 5, 2012, 4:30:18 PM2/5/12
"Dan Ankers MD1CLV" <md1...@md1clv.com> wrote in message

> There's a recommendation that certain suffixes be used in certain
> circumstances, but nothing to say that other suffixes would be
> illegal.

Exactly.

Provided the callsign is given, with (when they WERE required) the necessary
/A etc adding QRP etc was never illegal.

Ian Jackson

Feb 5, 2012, 4:52:18 PM2/5/12
In message <OxCXq.92321$WX2....@newsfe28.ams2>, Brian Reay.
<seeweb...@ild.com> writes
>"Dan Ankers MD1CLV" <md1...@md1clv.com> wrote in message
> >
>> There's a recommendation that certain suffixes be used in certain
>> circumstances, but nothing to say that other suffixes would be
>> illegal.
>>

>Exactly.
>
>Provided the callsign is given, with (when they WERE required) the necessary
>/A etc adding QRP etc was never illegal.

Oh, quite. While some QRP stations actually do use the suffix "/QRP",
2M0YCG does not. After his callsign, he simply says "QRP". It's VK4MA
who gives him the suffix "slash QRP".
--
Ian

jacksparrow

Feb 5, 2012, 4:58:00 PM2/5/12
Brian Reay. wrote:
> Perhaps Frank lacks the skill to operate QRP and feels the need to
have go
> at QRP operators and he does suffer power envy- remember his tantrum
over EI
> getting more power.

IMHO the skill rests entirely with the person receiving the QRP
station and not with the QRP operator.

I really object when someone signing <callsign>/QRP calls a DX
station as if that should grant him special treatment....

Jack

(Unashamedly 400 watts .. with no TVI... on all bands 160-10)

Brian Reay

Feb 5, 2012, 5:12:03 PM2/5/12

"jacksparrow" <m...@invalid.net> wrote in message
Do you feel the need to measure everything to make yourself feel "bigger"?

Jimbo ...

Feb 5, 2012, 5:13:00 PM2/5/12

> IMHO the skill rests entirely with the person receiving the QRP
> station and not with the QRP operator.

I always thank them for the use of their antennas and power ......

Jimbo ...

Feb 5, 2012, 5:15:57 PM2/5/12

>> (Unashamedly 400 watts .. with no TVI... on all bands 160-10)
>
> Do you feel the need to measure everything to make yourself feel "bigger"?

anybody is bigger than an M3 .......like you

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 5:20:18 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 17:17, Brian Reay. wrote:

> Using "QRP" after one's call has been established practice for years, as
> Frank should know. As usual he is just having a go at newcomers.

It is frowned upon by the QRP community which you as a member of the
G-QRP club you should know, but then as a recent blow in to the club and
HF operation you're just demonstrated once again your utter cluelessness.

> It is perfectly legal (unlike some claim).

Perhaps you'd be good enough to point me to where in the licence it
recommends to append /qrp to ones callsign especially if one is a FL
twat running 10w (ha!) which is not QRP.

> Perhaps Frank lacks the skill to operate QRP and feels the need to have go
> at QRP operators and he does suffer power envy

Really Brian? I've been a member of the G-QRP club for decades and for a
long time I ran an entirely home brewed QRP station, you might also want
to check where I finished and what DX I worked as a QRP entrant (5w out)
in a recent major contest. So tell the group Brian how long exactly
you've been a member of the G-QRP club and please feel free to embellish
the story with tales of your DX prowess.

> remember his tantrum over EI getting more power.

You have me confused with Len. I posted the info and Len had the
tantrum, pretty pointless really as I know, you know and Len knows that
QRO is on the cards for the UK. Maybe you should up your medication a tad?

> (I will only mention in passing his bad language- tut tut, hardly the
> language of someone who pretends to have standards. Of course Charlie will
> approve as it adds "colour" or some such.)

Goody two shoes Brian speaks again. A verbal angel on the group but foul
mouthed when recording telephone conversations.

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 5:22:05 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 21:52, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Oh, quite. While some QRP stations actually do use the suffix "/QRP",
> 2M0YCG does not. After his callsign, he simply says "QRP". It's VK4MA
> who gives him the suffix "slash QRP".

Don't point out the bleedin' obvious to Brian for goodness sake, I like
watching him post drivel..

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 5:24:36 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 21:58, jacksparrow wrote:

> IMHO the skill rests entirely with the person receiving the QRP
> station and not with the QRP operator.

You are absolutely correct.

> I really object when someone signing<callsign>/QRP calls a DX
> station as if that should grant him special treatment....

Spot on. As I said, identifying yourself as running qrp before
establishing contact and exchanging reports is begging.

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 5:25:42 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 22:12, Brian Reay wrote:

>> (Unashamedly 400 watts .. with no TVI... on all bands 160-10)
>
> Do you feel the need to measure everything to make yourself feel "bigger"?

Well your wigs certainly bigger than most.

Jimbo ...

Feb 5, 2012, 5:26:02 PM2/5/12

> Really Brian? I've been a member of the G-QRP club for decades and for a
> long time I ran an entirely home brewed QRP station, you might also want
> to check where I finished and what DX I worked as a QRP entrant (5w out)
> in a recent major contest. So tell the group Brian how long exactly you've
> been a member of the G-QRP club and please feel free to embellish the
> story with tales of your DX prowess.

you sock it to that fat baldy egotistical M3/G8 ...good man ........you are
worth a hundred of him......

Jimbo ...

Feb 5, 2012, 5:26:45 PM2/5/12

"Fred Roberts" <f...@bar.com> wrote in message
...and his belly

Ian Jackson

Feb 5, 2012, 5:31:12 PM2/5/12
In message <FkDXq.92326$WX2....@newsfe28.ams2>, Fred Roberts
<f...@bar.com> writes
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
--
Ian

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 5:44:25 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 22:26, Jimbo ... wrote:

> you sock it to that fat baldy egotistical M3/G8 ...good man ........you are
> worth a hundred of him......

So are you Jimbo *AND* you drive cool cars.

Fred Roberts

Feb 5, 2012, 6:00:31 PM2/5/12
On 05/02/2012 22:31, Ian Jackson wrote:

>> Spot on. As I said, identifying yourself as running qrp before
>> establishing contact and exchanging reports is begging.
>>
> Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I have been known to call "CQ QRP" (in CW Brian) but never to sign as
/QRP and I have in the past fallen foul to DX stations giving preference
in the pileup to those signing as /QRP when they obviously weren't.
Recently I received a direct request from a Swedish station with
individual cards for each band I had worked him on asking me for
individual cards for confirmation and requesting that I identify him as
SM5***/QRP, I was happy to do so.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ian Jackson

Feb 6, 2012, 3:37:24 AM2/6/12
In message <900vi7lr11fvcmf4c...@4ax.com>,
lu...@eternal-flames.gov writes
>On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 22:31:12 +0000, Ian Jackson
><ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Don't knock it till you've tried it.
>
>That's what they say about bleedin' Morris Dancing.

I'm looking forward to this being on TV.
http://www.morrismovie.com/
http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=123743
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/sep/25/morris-a-life-with-bells-on
I expect it's the English version of "Riverdance - The Real Story".
It looks fun!
--
Ian

Turbal

Feb 6, 2012, 3:39:46 AM2/6/12
Why don't you just ignore him Fred and deprive him of his sad pleasure. You
must know he only posts here in order to wind up someone or other.

Not only that, when you quote him I get to see he is still making his silly
digs at me :-)

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gnome7763/m.html?

Jimbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 4:21:08 AM2/6/12

"Turbal" <O...@radiowymsey.org> wrote in message
> Why don't you just ignore him Fred and deprive him of his sad pleasure.
> You
> must know he only posts here in order to wind up someone or other.
>
> Not only that, when you quote him I get to see he is still making his
> silly
> digs at me :-)

but since the Court case we can now brand his posts as being "childish and
puerile"...we just can't ignore the official ruling can we ? ....

Message has been deleted

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 5:42:50 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 08:39, Turbal wrote:
> Why don't you just ignore him Fred and deprive him of his sad pleasure. You
> must know he only posts here in order to wind up someone or other.

I know Charlie but I also that every time I or someone else humiliates
him it's another blow to the crumbling edifice (orifice?) of Reay World.

> Not only that, when you quote him I get to see he is still making his silly
> digs at me :-)

His ego won't allow him to concede that anyone could possibly killfile
him, he's still taking digs at Matt as well.

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 5:44:06 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 09:21, Jimbo ... wrote:

> but since the Court case we can now brand his posts as being "childish and
> puerile"...we just can't ignore the official ruling can we ? ....

Every post he makes confirms the courts opinion.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John

Feb 6, 2012, 5:59:05 AM2/6/12

<lu...@eternal-flames.gov> wrote

>>/me goes back to playing with WSPR.
>
> It'll make you go blind. :-)

No - you're confusing WSPR with WNKR

Message has been deleted

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 6:38:31 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 11:27, Chronos wrote:

> You know, I'm sure I had an eight pin DIN plug around here somewhere.
> Why do Icom (and Kenwood) have to use those things for their ACC
> ports? The '101 has RCAs for almost everything. Ah well, at least CiV
> is standard TTL on a 3.5mm jack.

Mini D - now there's a right royal pain in the Kenwood arse..

> /me resumes the search for strange-arsed connectors and hacking Hamlib
> and forgets all about the Kentish Bishopric.

/me heavily involved in making sure amateur radio is well represented
during the upcoming Titanic 100 festival. I'll post all the details here
and elsewhere closer to the event but I can reveal that it's looking
good, very good.. :)

Dan Ankers MD1CLV

Feb 6, 2012, 6:43:20 AM2/6/12
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:59:21 +0000, Spike <Aero.Spike@S&T.invalid>
wrote:
>As you know, in order to filter out the mindless FL rubbish that
>apparently floods the group, I run on a watch filter, with a lower
>priority catch-all kill filter Author:{.} Delete. As Reay isn't in my
>watch list, his stuff goes in the bitbucket with all the rest caught
>in the filter. All I see of him is when, thankfully rarely, someone
>reposts his stuff.
>
>I commend this approach to all...

It's a good approach, but how could new posters get onto your watch
list if everyone used your method?

I gave up on Google Groups because of the lack of filters, so I'm
currently just using a killfile. I do have plans to train a Bayesian
spam filter with what is signal vs. what is noise in this group (or my
opinion of what is signal and what is noise) and see how that works in
the long run.

Dan MD1CLV, aware of the fact that it this message might not be seen.

MM6AHJ

Feb 6, 2012, 6:50:40 AM2/6/12
>/me heavily involved in making sure amateur radio is well represented
>during the upcoming Titanic 100 festival. I'll post all the details here
>and elsewhere closer to the event but I can reveal that it's looking
>good, very good.. :)

Looking forward to hearing what a spark gap generator sounds like!

Will there be two stations or more Fred?
Titanic & Carpathia ?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jimbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 7:31:35 AM2/6/12

<lu...@eternal-flames.gov> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:38:07 +0000, Chronos <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>/me goes back to playing with WSPR.
>
> It'll make you go blind. :-)

wot? ... all that chocolate? .......

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 7:50:11 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 11:50, MM6AHJ wrote:

> Looking forward to hearing what a spark gap generator sounds like!
>
> Will there be two stations or more Fred?
> Titanic& Carpathia ?

There will two big ones from the Belfast area and at this point in time
an unknown number from around the province. Specials will also be on
from Southampton, Cherbourg, Cobh and New York, the NewfoundLand Club
are aiming to be over the wreck site with a submersible down at the
wreck come the day. A number of Titanic museums around the globe will be
activated and of course you'll have a number of main land clubs that
have absolutely feck all to do with the Titanic using call signs that
really should have been issued to the province.

There's a lot I can't tell you just yet and a lot is still in the
planning stages with a lot of letters and emails to be written (and a
LOT have already been written), phone calls made and meetings attended.
Message has been deleted

John

Feb 6, 2012, 8:57:27 AM2/6/12

"Fred Roberts" wrote

> There will two big ones from the Belfast area and at this point in time an
> unknown number from around the province. Specials will also be on from
> Southampton, Cherbourg, Cobh and New York, the NewfoundLand Club are
> aiming to be over the wreck site with a submersible down at the wreck come
> the day. A number of Titanic museums around the globe will be activated
> and of course you'll have a number of main land clubs that have absolutely
> feck all to do with the Titanic using call signs that really should have
> been issued to the province.
>
> There's a lot I can't tell you just yet and a lot is still in the planning
> stages with a lot of letters and emails to be written (and a LOT have
> already been written), phone calls made and meetings attended.

The White Swan Hotel at Alnwick, Northumberland could be another location.
The dining room fittings and fixtures came from the Titanic's sister ship,
the Olympic as did the front revolving entrance door and the grand
staircase.

MM6AHJ

Feb 6, 2012, 9:24:46 AM2/6/12
Wonder if I could represent the poor sods from below decks who were
kept locked in till the toffs used the boats. After it sank and the
ensuing 'rescue' of the bodies, of course they didnt lift the scum
from the water, they had to wait for a whole other trip for that.

Joseph Pujol

Feb 6, 2012, 9:37:35 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 12:50, Fred Roberts wrote:

> There's a lot I can't tell you just yet and a lot is still in the
> planning stages with a lot of letters and emails to be written (and a
> LOT have already been written), phone calls made and meetings attended.

My friend's (late) Grandad used to deliver beer to the pub the Phillips
family ran between the wars.

DieSea

Feb 6, 2012, 9:40:40 AM2/6/12

| What? Special Reserve Wood alcohol. AKA bathtub Vodka.
| No. It's blindness it causes. ;-)

I thought that was Screech from Malta back in the sixties

Couldn't find any in my recent last visit

Marks and Spencer's is located in Strait Street

Wart will know "that street" as "The Gut" so I'm reliably informed

--

DieSea

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 11:20:41 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 13:57, John wrote:

> The White Swan Hotel at Alnwick, Northumberland could be another location.
> The dining room fittings and fixtures came from the Titanic's sister ship,
> the Olympic as did the front revolving entrance door and the grand
> staircase.

Like I said, a number of main land clubs that have absolutely feck all
to do with the Titanic will be using call signs that really should have
been issued to the province. I think "bandwagon", "wannabes" and
"usurpers" are the kind of terms I'm looking for.

Ian Jackson

Feb 6, 2012, 11:28:54 AM2/6/12
In message <eecvi7df4k3nd5ssp...@4ax.com>,
lu...@eternal-flames.gov writes
>On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:37:24 +0000, Ian Jackson
><ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <900vi7lr11fvcmf4c...@4ax.com>,
>>lu...@eternal-flames.gov writes

>>>That's what they say about bleedin' Morris Dancing.
>>
>>I'm looking forward to this being on TV.
>>http://www.morrismovie.com/
>>http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=123743
>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/sep/25/morris-a-life-with-bells-on
>>I expect it's the English version of "Riverdance - The Real Story".
>>It looks fun!
>
>First I've seen of that, Ian. Should be a laugh. Must get a hold of
>the DVD.

I've been toying with the same idea myself - and it's my birthday next
month.
--
Ian

Brian Reay.

Feb 6, 2012, 11:35:59 AM2/6/12
"Fred Roberts" <f...@bar.com> wrote in message
On what basis you say the "call signs that really should have
been issued to the province"? Anyone has a RIGHT to apply for a special
event call sign. Just because someone was more organised doesn't make them a
"wannabe" or a "usurper".

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 11:39:10 AM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 16:35, Brian Reay. wrote:

> Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Run along little man. You don't know what you're talking about.

FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI

Feb 6, 2012, 11:47:02 AM2/6/12
"Ian Jackson" <ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've been toying with the same idea myself - and it's my birthday next
> month.
> --
Cor! So's mine.
--
;-)
.

FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI

Feb 6, 2012, 11:54:28 AM2/6/12
"james stewart" <james.st...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> 27.555 ? .......

144.48 ?

Brian Reay.

Feb 6, 2012, 12:09:12 PM2/6/12

> On 06/02/2012 16:35, Brian Reay. wrote:
>
>> Sounds like sour grapes to me.
>
> Run along little man. You don't know what you're talking about.

So, I was right then. I thought so. You are SO predictable.

You expect everything to be given to you.

lIMBO ...

Feb 6, 2012, 12:10:49 PM2/6/12

> I've been toying with the same idea myself - and it's my birthday next
> month.
> Ian

That is known as doing a Johnney ....

Limbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 12:12:41 PM2/6/12

"Brian Reay." <seeweb...@ild.com> wrote in message
...where is mine? ......

Limbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 12:14:05 PM2/6/12

>> So, I was right then. I thought so. You are SO predictable.
>>
>> You expect everything to be given to you.
>>

> ...where is mine? ......

no wait .....that was class "B"s on HF ...........and the FL ............

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 12:36:19 PM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 17:09, Brian Reay. wrote:

> So, I was right then. I thought so. You are SO predictable.
>
> You expect everything to be given to you.

What a childish and puerile post. Grow up Brian.

BTW I've talking a few of your ex associates from the upper echelons of
the RSGB, even I was shocked at the contempt in which you are held.

Limbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 12:40:03 PM2/6/12

> BTW I've talking a few of your ex associates from the upper echelons of
> the RSGB, even I was shocked at the contempt in which you are held.

doesn't surprise me one bit .......

Brian Reay.

Feb 6, 2012, 12:47:30 PM2/6/12
"Fred Roberts" <f...@bar.com> wrote in message
I'll take that as complement. Some of them I would not want their approval,
in fact I would openly seek the converse.
Rather like your approval Frank- were I to get it I'd know I'd done
something wrong.

The nuRSGB is an environment for "yes men" and cover ups, including one in
your area I'm trying to expose.

Limbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 12:51:19 PM2/6/12

> The nuRSGB is an environment for "yes men" and cover ups, including one in
> your area I'm trying to expose.

report him to the police.......

Limbo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 1:14:41 PM2/6/12
++++
"Limbo ..." <james.st...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
we must all do what we are best at ........

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 1:27:54 PM2/6/12

> The nuRSGB is an environment for "yes men" and cover ups,

Sounds like it's right up your street.

> including one in your area I'm trying to expose.

Shock! Horror! Brian Reay admits all is not well with amateur radio in
GI. Remind me Brian, how long I've been saying just such a thing? How
long have you spent rubbishing all the facts I posted? My, my.. doesn't
it just go to show how childish and puerile your postings and antics
have been over the years...

jacksparrow

Feb 6, 2012, 2:07:21 PM2/6/12
lu...@eternal-flames.gov wrote:
> I don't have any problem with that. Back in the 70s/80s I used to
> make a point of listening for stations doing so - particularly on
CW.
> I've even reduced my RF down to see how good their receiving set-up
> was. Anybody can work QRO.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just as anyone can "work" (sic) QRP! All it takes is a turn on the
power control knob and wind the power down. I've done it many times
when working VK/ZL, going down to 1 or 2 watts from 400 just see how
the other guy gets me and usually getting a decent report. The answer
lies in the antenna of course.

What I don't hear of is a 1 watt + dipole station in the UK working a
1 watt + dipole in VK or ZL. Usually there's a QRO (100W +) at one end
and often a yagi as well).

Some (and I repeat some) QRPers seem to think they are a race apart
and better than the rest of us, in the same way vegetarians and "green
power" users think they are something special ;-)

Chaque un a son gout Nick :-)

Jack

Limpo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 2:14:54 PM2/6/12

> Some (and I repeat some) QRPers seem to think they are a race apart
> and better than the rest of us, in the same way vegetarians and "green
> power" users think they are something special ;-)

It is just the human condition.........

Ian Jackson

Feb 6, 2012, 2:25:42 PM2/6/12
In message <PM0004B85...@Mac.unknown.dom>, jacksparrow
<m...@invalid.net> writes

>Chaque un a son gout Nick :-)

Which, when it flares up, can be extremely painful.
--
Ian
Message has been deleted

Turbal

Feb 6, 2012, 4:34:20 PM2/6/12
Fred Roberts wrote:

> Run along little man. You don't know what you're talking about.

I bet does when it come to sour grapes!

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gnome7763/m.html?

Turbal

Feb 6, 2012, 4:40:20 PM2/6/12

>> So, I was right then. I thought so.

I think we should let him win now and again, he might bog off then and play
in his garage - it must need tidying by now.

Lambo ...

Feb 6, 2012, 4:43:24 PM2/6/12

>>> So, I was right then. I thought so.
>
> I think we should let him win now and again, he might bog off then and
> play
> in his garage - it must need tidying by now.
>

> M0WYM

he might change the pads on the car........and feel that he did something
worthwhile ......

Fred Roberts

Feb 6, 2012, 5:45:24 PM2/6/12
On 06/02/2012 21:34, Turbal wrote:

>> Run along little man. You don't know what you're talking about.
>
> I bet does when it come to sour grapes!

I'll give you that one Charlie :-)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ian Jackson

Feb 7, 2012, 4:09:31 AM2/7/12
In message <gvp1j7lsmcpjf6s8c...@4ax.com>, Spike
<Aero.Spike@S&T.invalid> writes

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>>...it's my birthday next month.
>
>AOL to that. Mine's on a saint's day :-(

To be sure, to be sure, mine's on one too, begorragh - but I can't say
that that has ever affected me in any way.
--
Ian
Message has been deleted