dvd recorders

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 7, 2022, 11:48:27 AM11/7/22
the four dvd recorders I have have all died....is there such a thing as
a stand alone DVD recorer ?

jon

Nov 7, 2022, 12:00:24 PM11/7/22
On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 16:48:25 +0000, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

> the four dvd recorders I have have all died....is there such a thing as
> a stand alone DVD recorer ?

Why not a use computer usb DVD recorder, they are quite cheap.

David Wade

Nov 7, 2022, 12:54:24 PM11/7/22
On 07/11/2022 16:48, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
> the four dvd recorders I have have all died....is there such a thing as
> a stand alone DVD recorer ?

I suspect not as they have limited utility. What are you going to feed
it with? Most current DVBT or DVBS receivers output HDMI and for some
sources this will be protected so you end up with a device that will
only record some channels....

Dave

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 1:37:02 AM11/8/22
got two plug in ones... how do i do that ?

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 1:38:18 AM11/8/22
I used to record VHS tapes on to the recorders

David Wade

Nov 8, 2022, 2:13:05 AM11/8/22
Then I think you are sold down the river. I generally use a Dazzle
capture card on a PC. This seems to be the current version...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dazzle-DVD-Recorder-HD-PC/dp/B00F5UCGIY/

its better than the cheapo Chinese cards you normally get but not brilliant.

Dave

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 2:48:38 AM11/8/22
just looks like a £60 posh version of the easycap unit I have but never
found the software to use....

jon

Nov 8, 2022, 7:01:50 AM11/8/22
On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 16:48:25 +0000, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

> the four dvd recorders I have have all died....is there such a thing as
> a stand alone DVD recorer ?

I have a copy of the Easycap software. It is 470MB so needs to go on a CD

jon

Nov 8, 2022, 7:04:41 AM11/8/22
...or it can go on a SD card

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 7:06:53 AM11/8/22
can you send me it?

jon

Nov 8, 2022, 7:09:15 AM11/8/22
Yes, easier on a SD card.

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 7:13:49 AM11/8/22
cool... JIM STEWART 21 CAMPSIE DRIVE RENFREW PA40RB send your
address whith it and I will re·im·burse you ta much

jon

Nov 8, 2022, 7:29:52 AM11/8/22
ok will do..

Ian Jackson

Nov 8, 2022, 8:45:40 AM11/8/22
In message <tkd1kj$3s36p$1...@dont-email.me>, Jim Stewart ...
<kinvig...@ntlworld.com> writes
After not having too much success with often dodgy Easycap / EZcap I
bought Video-2-PC. Haven't used it much, or for some time - but it seems
to work properly. [IIRC, I paid £39 at Maplin.]
https://tinyurl.com/5xam7bb2
--
Ian

Paul

Nov 8, 2022, 11:37:25 AM11/8/22
Easycap is not really a brand. They describe the hardware here a bit.

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e1:0408 Syntek Semiconductor Co., Ltd STK1160 Video Capture Device

# lsusb
Bus XXX Device XXX: ID eb1a:2861 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

# lsusb
Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 1c88:0007 Somagic, Inc. # driver not loaded
Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 1c88:003c Somagic, Inc. # driver loaded (shoves firmware into device)
Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 1c88:003f Somagic, Inc. # driver loaded (shoves firmware into device)

# lsusb
Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 1b71:3002 # USBTV007 EasyCAP = Single chip: UTV007 A614231.1 1136L1BK

Device Manager (Right Click win Start), then Properties, then Details, in menu select "Hardware Ids"
Try and match the hexadecimal numbers, like the EB1A:2861 part listed there in Device Manager.

The idea is, to get some idea which Easycap you've got, may make
finding software easier.

The video capture market kinda collapsed before COVID, and
some of the chips are no longer made. Cheesy chips have been
made to replace them. It was never easy finding software
for these things -- this is why when purchasing, you read
the Amazon reviews and see if the owners say "the software
was crap but I found that XXX worked". The hardware is not
worth buying, unless there is an identifiable software package
to use.

If you were more of a digital guy... Well.... :-)

*******

To give an example of the misery, I have a TV tuner card (which
has capture on the front end), and even the Linux DVD won't
run it out of the box. So I added a firmware file to the DVD, and
that DVD exists purely for running the hardware in question.
See, that's how nasty the digital world is for ya. Look at
the extra work you get to do.

Paul

Paul

Nov 8, 2022, 12:08:34 PM11/8/22
On 11/8/2022 11:37 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 11/8/2022 2:48 AM, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

>>> Then I think you are sold down the river. I generally use a Dazzle capture card on a PC. This seems to be the current version...
>>>
>>> https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dazzle-DVD-Recorder-HD-PC/dp/B00F5UCGIY/
>>>
>>> its better than the cheapo Chinese cards you normally get but not brilliant.
>>>
>>> Dave
>> just looks like a £60 posh version of the easycap unit I have but never found the software to use....
>
> Easycap is not really a brand. They describe the hardware here a bit.
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap

http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/823-usbtv007-video-grabber.html

Name: USBTV007_Video_Grabber_win7.zip
Size: 8,149,453 bytes (7958 KiB)
SHA256: 0AE90665F8D688D5039A64264ADB019625DECF00AD3803BD50CE3AC017C63C13

USBTV007_Video_Grabber_win7.zip
USBTV007_Video_Grabber_win7
ATV007_Win7_64
HuayaBDAx64.lib # BDA = something to do with Windows Media Center in Windows 7 ???
oemdrv.cat
OEMDrv.inf # %X86BDA.DeviceDesc%=BDA.Device, USB\VID_1B71&PID_3002
OEMDrv.sys

I don't know how much good that is going to do on Windows 10.
There's no Windows Media Center any more, and does
that driver do one of the other standards ? Dunno.

*******

A brave guy here tests a few.

https://vhsconverters.com/7-video-capture-devices-tested-on-windows-10/

*******

I'd probably switch to Linux and use it.

Paul

A. non Eyemouse

Nov 8, 2022, 12:17:05 PM11/8/22
Look for a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V if you can find one in working order.
DVD <--> VHS. Mine has lasted 15 years. Or is that what you've just
killed?

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 1:19:22 PM11/8/22
might try that if I fail with the easycap...thanks

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 8, 2022, 1:22:19 PM11/8/22
nah

jon

Nov 9, 2022, 6:55:10 AM11/9/22
I have many Firewire devices, but the standard rapidly disappeared on all
laptops. I also have a Firewre PCMCIA card and those were no longer
supported.

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 9, 2022, 8:15:10 AM11/9/22
It amazes me how they can just switch off things in the computer world
that is why I like analogue

A. non Eyemouse

Nov 10, 2022, 4:11:32 AM11/10/22
On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 18:22:17 +0000
"Jim Stewart ..." <kinvig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2022 17:17, A. non Eyemouse wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 06:37:00 +0000

> >> got two plug in ones... how do i do that ?
> >

> > Look for a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V if you can find one in working order.
> > DVD <--> VHS. Mine has lasted 15 years. Or is that what you've just
> > killed?
> >
> nah

Are you going back to VHS then?

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 10, 2022, 5:31:07 AM11/10/22
just trying to get some stuff on youtyube

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 11, 2022, 9:28:39 AM11/11/22
woo hoo got it thanks will let you know how I get on....and merry xmas
to you too...tee hee

inri

Nov 11, 2022, 1:51:16 PM11/11/22
Only win 7 Jim

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 11, 2022, 2:00:12 PM11/11/22
I'll dig my w7 laptop out

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 12, 2022, 3:22:18 AM11/12/22
oh dear haven't a clue how to work this got the leads from the vcr to
the easy cap unit.......got your driver card into the lap top and it
fires up.... got another sd card into the laptop to record onto? .....no
idea where to go from here

jon

Nov 12, 2022, 10:37:24 PM11/12/22

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 13, 2022, 3:30:14 AM11/13/22
thanks I will try that

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 13, 2022, 10:06:05 AM11/13/22
woo hoo I surprise myself at times......was having no joy with win 7 so
tried it all on win 10 which I like better anyway....downloaded the
drivers it worked even with them being 64 bit win 7 drivers.....THEN
downloaded OBS studio and woo hoo perfect copy sent to my download
file......thanks again...off to arcive all my VHS tapes now.....thanks
again best xmas pressy I have had for a while .....

A. non Eyemouse

Nov 14, 2022, 8:21:50 AM11/14/22
On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 15:06:01 +0000
"Jim Stewart ..." <kinvig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> woo hoo I surprise myself at times......was having no joy with win 7
> so tried it all on win 10 which I like better anyway....downloaded
> the drivers it worked even with them being 64 bit win 7
> drivers.....THEN downloaded OBS studio and woo hoo perfect copy sent
> to my download file......thanks again...off to arcive all my VHS
> tapes now.....thanks again best xmas pressy I have had for a while

Headline: Jim DOES digital.

Jim Stewart ...

Nov 14, 2022, 9:54:27 AM11/14/22
sometimes you have no choice ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bw7gsMuIPY&t=1267s&ab_channel=gm4dhj

not bad what do you think ?

A. non Eyemouse

Nov 21, 2022, 10:11:51 AM11/21/22
On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 14:54:22 +0000
Not bad for VHS. A few Buccaneers there at Gib.

I think I used one of those USB things to do a similar job a few years
back.

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Nov 21, 2022, 10:44:45 AM11/21/22
good man