What is "static mobile"???...

Chaney

Apr 25, 2007, 9:10:19 AM4/25/07
Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the fcuk
is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely he's
either moving or he's still!!!...

Another CBism infecting the amateur bands...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

d...@bb.com

Apr 25, 2007, 10:12:16 AM4/25/07
Had a 2M0 tell me he was nearly at the QTH20 last night.

Ian Jackson

Apr 25, 2007, 11:05:58 AM4/25/07
In message <%qIXh.95644$Zb2....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Chaney
<cha...@i12.com> writes

>Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the fcuk
>is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely he's
>either moving or he's still!!!...
>
>Another CBism infecting the amateur bands...

No it's not. 'Static mobile' has been heard occasionally for as long as
I can remember, especially when the station was not using a large
external fixed aerial (ie not the usual vehicle aerial), and where the
vehicle could not be driven off with the aerial attached. I may have
even used it myself, when the situation warranted it. It's sort of an
alternative to /P (which usually used to mean operation from a tent).
It's really a 'courtesy' to anyone listening, as an explanation for your
surprisingly massive signal. It's completely unofficial, of course (as
is /M these days!).

Chaney, old chap, in the last few days you have had lots of digs at the
operating practices of what you consider to be lesser mortals among our
brethren. There's a lot you could complain about, but most of these were
without any justification. It seems to me, as well as consistently not
understanding the convention of bottom-posting, that you really don't
know much about amateur radio either!

Sorry to be bitchy,
Ian.

Mike Hunt

Apr 25, 2007, 11:20:02 AM4/25/07

I remember loads of ops from the early 60,s when I was an SWL, operating
"static mobile" from top band, to 2m.

The term has been used for as long as I have been listening on HF + VHF

For Gods sake the chap is just letting you know he is operating with the
car parked, instead of moving.

Hardly a CB thing.

Theo

Apr 25, 2007, 11:31:08 AM4/25/07
Well said those men!

Lurker

Apr 25, 2007, 12:46:20 PM4/25/07

"Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Chaney, old chap, in the last few days you have had lots of digs at the
> operating practices of what you consider to be lesser mortals among our
> brethren. There's a lot you could complain about, but most of these were
> without any justification. It seems to me, as well as consistently not
> understanding the convention of bottom-posting, that you really don't know
> much about amateur radio either!
>
> Sorry to be bitchy,

Don't say sorry to Chaney, the man is a total dork. He seems to know less
about amateur radio than those he is always having a poke at.

know code

Apr 25, 2007, 1:50:09 PM4/25/07

<sarcasm>
So, oh wise and wonderful one, why don't you enlighten people on this
newsgroup with some of your obviously superior wisdom?
</sarcasm>

--
ARRL membership = $39 (~£19.50)
RSGB membership = £44

Don't let them rip you off any more.
Do the right thing, resign from the RSGB today.

The RSGB said Radio Amateurs were a threat to national security!
Is this the type of organisation you want to represent you?

Brian Reay

Apr 25, 2007, 2:00:06 PM4/25/07
"Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <%qIXh.95644$Zb2....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Chaney
> <cha...@i12.com> writes
>>Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the
>>fcuk
>>is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely he's
>>either moving or he's still!!!...
>>
>>Another CBism infecting the amateur bands...
>>

> No it's not. 'Static mobile' has been heard occasionally for as long as I
> can remember,

Indeed Ian, the expression has been around from long before the G6
callsigns. I don't recall the pre BR68 wording but it wasn't in BR68 and was
always one of those "unofficial" things. There were often debates re when
you stopped being /M but then that is the nature of licence discussions.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?

DrBoris

Apr 25, 2007, 2:10:47 PM4/25/07

"Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote in message

> Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the
> fcuk is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely
> he's either moving or he's still!!!...
>
> Another CBism infecting the amateur bands...
>
> --
I personally have heard many people use this expression including
those licensed for decades.

Nick

Apr 25, 2007, 2:17:59 PM4/25/07

"DrBoris" <noyuckme...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Yes, "Static Mobile" has been around for yonks.
Now if they'd have said "Gone Square Wheels", then
you'd know it was a bud goodie OP.

Message has been deleted

Brian Reay

Apr 25, 2007, 3:23:39 PM4/25/07
"Pun_Krocker @gmail.com>" <punkrocker62<noSPAM> wrote in message

> On 25/04/2007 at 14:10:19 Chaney wrote :
>> Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the
>> fcuk is static mobile???
>
> It means he is not wearing regulation rubber soled welly boots.

Common misunderstanding "static boots/shoes" (or more accurately anti-static
boots) are CONDUCTIVE. Some even have a metal composition "strap" that loops
over the heel. The idea is not to insulate you from the floor but to ensure
there is a conductive path to it. Essentially, in an (anti-)static
environment, the aim is to ensure that everything is at the same potential.

G1LVN

Apr 25, 2007, 4:28:13 PM4/25/07

"Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote in message
> Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the
> fcuk is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely
> he's either moving or he's still!!!...

Means he's parked up, would have thought that was obvious? UK Amateurs no
longer have to sign /M or /P it is optional, he's just telling you that he's
stopped in a vehicle somewhere - sounds like a yankee phrase, though more
probably comes from UK CB Vernacular circa 1990 - ties in with the novice
call too.

Next time he's own, put him straight - tell him 'LVN told you!

Ken Ward

Apr 25, 2007, 4:50:46 PM4/25/07

"Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

You can be as bitchy as you want. It is still CB stamping its unwanted feet
across amateur radio.

Stick you "Square Wheels up your 20"

If its not "G" its "CB".

G1ITV.

Message has been deleted

Brian Reay

Apr 25, 2007, 5:04:20 PM4/25/07
"Ken Ward" <ken....@MTLworld.com> wrote in message

> You can be as bitchy as you want. It is still CB stamping its unwanted
> feet across amateur radio.
>
> Stick you "Square Wheels up your 20"
>
> If its not "G" its "CB".

Ken, I hate to bring you down to the real world, but there has never been an
influx to amateur radio of CBers larger than the days of the G6s and G1s-
which was several times larger than that since the M3 licence started. Also
in real terms, not that many M3s are "ex CB" or current CBers for the simple
reason CB has been very quiet for years and there isn't a "pool" of CBers
out there for the M3s to come from.

In fact, the biggest "group" I see are sailors who would like to operate
/MM- having met up with other sailing amateurs on their travels.

Ian Jackson

Apr 25, 2007, 5:17:46 PM4/25/07
In message <GaPXh.238$o42...@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, Ken Ward
<ken....@MTLworld.com> writes
CB terminology may indeed be stamping its unwanted feet across amateur
radio, but I pretty sure that being 'static mobile' is definitely NOT a
CBism.
Ian.

Ian Jackson

Apr 25, 2007, 5:24:44 PM4/25/07
In message <onPXh.234$_v5....@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, Brian Reay
<s...@website.invalid> writes

>"Ken Ward" <ken....@MTLworld.com> wrote in message
> >
>> You can be as bitchy as you want. It is still CB stamping its unwanted
>> feet across amateur radio.
>>
>> Stick you "Square Wheels up your 20"
>>
>> If its not "G" its "CB".
>
>Ken, I hate to bring you down to the real world, but there has never been an
>influx to amateur radio of CBers larger than the days of the G6s and G1s-
>which was several times larger than that since the M3 licence started. Also
>in real terms, not that many M3s are "ex CB" or current CBers for the simple
>reason CB has been very quiet for years and there isn't a "pool" of CBers
>out there for the M3s to come from.

While not all new (and even 'old') M3s may not come from directly from a
CB background, I feel that they do seem to be learning and perpetuating
a lot of CBisms. And of course, there's 'New Hamspeak', which uses words
like 'ham'. And what about that award of 'Top Ham'? I would have rather
died than accept such award, even if it was meant as an honour.
Ian.

Ian Jackson

Apr 25, 2007, 5:25:53 PM4/25/07
In message <4_6dna9dU-8mJLLb...@bt.com>, G1LVN
<gareth...@gmail.com> writes
Tell him that 'LVN told you incorrectly!
Ian.

Ian Jackson

Apr 25, 2007, 5:27:36 PM4/25/07
In message <2nfv23tu7g4lmvclq...@4ax.com>,
luc...@eternal-flames.gov writes
>On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:28:13 +0100, "G1LVN" <gareth...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>sounds like a yankee phrase
>
>Shirley. That'd be 'static mobeel'
>
>Nick.

It would, indeed.
It's funny that they never miss an opportunity to pronounce something
incorrectly.
Ian.

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 25, 2007, 6:10:12 PM4/25/07

> Ken, I hate to bring you down to the real world, but there has never been
> an
> influx to amateur radio of CBers larger than the days of the G6s and G1s-
> which was several times larger than that since the M3 licence started.

problem is you are now landed with the dregs that couldn't get on HF until
the MM3 came along ... Glasgow is pure hotchin' with them man by the way

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 25, 2007, 6:11:26 PM4/25/07

> CB terminology may indeed be stamping its unwanted feet across amateur
> radio, but I pretty sure that being 'static mobile' is definitely NOT a
> CBism.
> Ian.
> --

10 4 ........I used it in 1974 ...........

G1LVN

Apr 25, 2007, 6:21:35 PM4/25/07

"Ken Ward" <ken....@MTLworld.com> wrote in message
> If its not "G" its "CB".
>
> G1ITV.

Wrong, should be: "If it's not G3 it's CB". I even have an exception that
makes the rule if you want.

G1LVN

Apr 25, 2007, 6:31:06 PM4/25/07

<luc...@eternal-flames.gov> wrote in message

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:28:13 +0100, "G1LVN" <gareth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>sounds like a yankee phrase
>
> Shirley. That'd be 'static mobeel'

Just heard on 20m - "static mobeel in Alan County, Spoonsville, Whoop-ass,
Alibami" !

(and don't call me Shirley)

Duncan Munro

Apr 25, 2007, 6:54:24 PM4/25/07
Ken Ward wrote:

> Stick you "Square Wheels up your 20"
>
> If its not "G" its "CB".

You really are a clueless cunt.

--
Duncan Munro
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/

Ken Ward

Apr 25, 2007, 7:43:05 PM4/25/07

"Brian Reay" <s...@website.invalid> wrote in message

> Ken, I hate to bring you down to the real world, but there has never been
> an influx to amateur radio of CBers larger than the days of the G6s and
> G1s- which was several times larger than that since the M3 licence
> started. Also in real terms, not that many M3s are "ex CB" or current
> CBers for the simple reason CB has been very quiet for years and there
> isn't a "pool" of CBers out there for the M3s to come from.
>
> In fact, the biggest "group" I see are sailors who would like to operate
> /MM- having met up with other sailing amateurs on their travels.

As you say Brian, groups are joining Amateur Radio (Sailors) because it is
so easy to do so since your dunbing down excercise. These "Sailors" have no
interest in "Real Amateur Radio". They just want a few extra (private
channels) to add to the restricted Marine VHF radio.

As for the great influx to Amateur Radio in the early 1980's (G6 and G1
callsigns). This influx was (mainly) by Ex CB'ers who left the bad habits
and the CB behind them. The newer influx seem to believe we are here to
give them a few extra "channels" and they can carry on as they have been on
the CB and most still talk of chatting on CB..

Let's not forget that the vast majority of these newcomers who degrade the
service would never have been here but for the actions of yourself and a few
other dedicated "social climbers". It is really sad to see what is left of
some once proud groups after the "climbers" have had there use of them.

History will show what or who has done most (harm) to Amateur Radio, the
problem is no one will care when its too late.

G1ITV

Ken Ward

Apr 25, 2007, 7:47:09 PM4/25/07

"Duncan Munro" <postm...@duncanamps.com> wrote in message

> Ken Ward wrote:
>
>> Stick you "Square Wheels up your 20"
>>
>> If its not "G" its "CB".
>
> You really are a clueless cunt.

Said the man with a "M" calllsign.

Chaney

Apr 25, 2007, 7:48:57 PM4/25/07
Who's complaining???...I'm not complaining...I'm just bitching!!!...

Be as bitchy as you like...at least I've given you something to bitch
about...now don't you feel better...

What is there to understand about bottom posting...for me it's just too much
hassle...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

Chaney

Apr 25, 2007, 7:59:52 PM4/25/07
When I made the transition from CB to Amateur Radio I too tried to fit in by
adopting the formula that was around when I arrived...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

> As for the great influx to Amateur Radio in the early 1980's (G6 and G1
> callsigns). This influx was (mainly) by Ex CB'ers who left the bad habits
> and the CB behind them.
>

> G1ITV

Chaney

Apr 25, 2007, 8:02:44 PM4/25/07
You're my hero (said the ex CBer with a G6 callsign)...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

"Ken Ward" <ken....@MTLworld.com> wrote in message

Chaney

Apr 25, 2007, 8:17:22 PM4/25/07
So when he calls CQ he's /m...and then when he's in QSO with someone he can
tell them his circumstances...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

"Mike Hunt" <po...@kw.net> wrote in message

> For Gods sake the chap is just letting you know he is operating with the
> car parked, instead of moving.
>
> Hardly a CB thing.

Message has been deleted

Brian Reay

Apr 26, 2007, 2:18:09 AM4/26/07
"Ken Ward" <ken....@MTLworld.com> wrote in message

> As you say Brian, groups are joining Amateur Radio (Sailors) because it
is
> so easy to do so since your dunbing down excercise. These "Sailors" have
> no interest in "Real Amateur Radio". They just want a few extra (private
> channels) to add to the restricted Marine VHF radio.

Not at all Ken, they are people who have discovered amateur radio by meeting
other people who are amateurs. That is how it works. Even you must see that
people don't take up a hobby unless they know about it. This just happens to
be a one route whereby people learn of amateur radio. CB was another,
although these days CB seems to be so small an interest few people seem to
have head of that.

> As for the great influx to Amateur Radio in the early 1980's (G6 and G1
> callsigns). This influx was (mainly) by Ex CB'ers who left the bad habits
> and the CB behind them.

Of course, the "good old days" argument. If you need that to convince
yourself that you are somehow "better" than other amateurs, I pity you.

Ken, many of those "early" CBers had spent years as illegal CBers- or was
that "the bad habits" you think they left behind them? Anyone who has been
on CB recently could at least have been so legally.

> Let's not forget that the vast majority of these newcomers who degrade the
> service would never have been here but for the actions of yourself

Well Ken, I've seen (or heard) a lot of amateurs act in such a away that
they degrade the hobby. The vast majority were around in the hobby even
before you left CB and became a G1. On the other hand, I really cannot
recall a recent newcomer who has been guilty of anything more than
inexperience.

And, as regards you " If its not G..........." slogan, how does that leave
someone you passed the written RAE but, for whatever reason, only takes out
a licence after the Gs had been "used up". Don't get me wrong, I quite like
your slogan- appending it to you posts sends a warning to new readers re
your attitude.

Brian Reay

Apr 26, 2007, 2:20:20 AM4/26/07
"Chronos" <chr...@chronos.org.uk> wrote in message
> After replacing Ken Ward with a small shell script on Thursday 26 Apr 2007
> 00:47, the following appeared on stdout:

>> Said the man with a "M" calllsign.
>
> Who has, to my certain knowledge:
>
> Built high quality amplifiers of his own design from scratch;
> Cast his own lathe parts;
> Written custom software for SDRs;
> Repaired and restored older kit.
>
> Duncan is a real amateur with a real amateur background. Compare this to
> the
> G nothing up-group who can't spell, can't find the caps lock key and
> advocates deliberate interference because he can't find the band-change
> switch or the initiative to take him away from 2m.
>
> NEWSFLASH: 144-146MHz is NOT the only amateur band. Use another if you
> don't
> like the operator class you get on 2m. There are lots of them. Some of
> them
> may require a little skill to become QRV upon, so be careful; it's not
> just
> a case of buying a fibreglass stick off the shelf and connecting it to an
> FM set.
>
> If this is beyond your capability, please keep your tribulations to
> yourself. Not only does it make you look clueless, it wastes bandwidth.
> The
> clueful have been avoiding 2m for years and have no need of vindication of
> that wise decision.

Well said, Matt.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to

Duncan Munro

Apr 26, 2007, 2:25:16 AM4/26/07

OK Ken, let's see how you get on with the following test.

Q1. M calls replaced G calls because:

[ ] They are used by CBers

[ ] They are used by the terminally clueless

[ ] OFCOM received 381 complaints about G calls

[ ] The G calls ran out

Only one of the answers above is correct - can you guess which one?

You've had two wrong answers so far, but don't forget you still have
"Phone a Friend" and "50/50", so you're in with a very good chance here.

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 26, 2007, 2:55:37 AM4/26/07

> Repaired and restored older kit.
>
> Duncan is a real amateur with a real amateur background. Compare this to
> the

a but has he got the KW2000 I flogged him going? .........

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 26, 2007, 2:57:47 AM4/26/07

> OK Ken, let's see how you get on with the following test.
>
> Q1. M calls replaced G calls because:
>
> [ ] They are used by CBers
>
> [ ] They are used by the terminally clueless
>
> [ ] OFCOM received 381 complaints about G calls
>
> [ ] The G calls ran out
>
> Only one of the answers above is correct - can you guess which one?
>
> You've had two wrong answers so far, but don't forget you still have
> "Phone a Friend" and "50/50", so you're in with a very good chance here.
>
> --
> Duncan Munro

is this one of those £1 a minute scams? ............

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 26, 2007, 3:00:22 AM4/26/07

> If you need that to convince
> yourself that you are somehow "better" than other amateurs, I pity you.

quality put down ..........

Duncan Munro

Apr 26, 2007, 3:35:45 AM4/26/07

It's... nearly... there...

Everything works on it now except the filter, but I've a new Inrad one
which has been sitting round for a couple of hours. Need a couple of
free hours to package it all up, and it's done.

ps: I've recently bought an AT5 to add to my old gear collection.
Lush... http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/shack.php

Duncan Munro

Apr 26, 2007, 3:37:35 AM4/26/07
Duncan Munro wrote:

> Everything works on it now except the filter, but I've a new Inrad one
> which has been sitting round for a couple of hours.

Jeezz... I meant a couple of years!

Ian Jackson

Apr 26, 2007, 3:39:52 AM4/26/07
In message <JNRXh.60765$aB1....@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Chaney
<cha...@i12.com> writes

>Who's complaining???...I'm not complaining...I'm just bitching!!!...
>
>Be as bitchy as you like...at least I've given you something to bitch
>about...now don't you feel better...
>
>What is there to understand about bottom posting...for me it's just too much
>hassle...

You have just said (in this thread, but in another posting) "When I made

the transition from CB to Amateur Radio I too tried to fit in by

adopting the formula that was around when I arrived...".

Two points:

(1) Why do you edit posts in your weird way, so that lines from previous
posts appear UNDER the separator? In a reply (like this one), only what
YOU say appears. It usually makes what you say look like unrelated
nonsense.

(2) I actually agree with you about bottom posting. I don't care what
these mythical Usenet 'rules' say. To me, it's totally illogical. The
easiest way to keep a filing system is to put the old stuff at the
bottom, and add new stuff on the top, as it comes in. Comments on
individual points can be inserted immediately AFTER the lines being
commented on. It works OK for normal e-mails, so why not here?

Unfortunately, the misguided majority of the uses of this NG don't seem
to see it this way. Until they do, the accepted way is to bottom post.
It shouldn't be too difficult a task for a REAL radio amateur to master.
It only took me a few minutes. Although, initially, it might take you a
little longer, I suggest you try it. I guarantee that you will
experience a deep glow of satisfaction when you have achieved your
objective.

So, on both these points, I suggest that you practice what you preached
about fitting in, and try 'fitting in'.

Ian.

--

Message has been deleted

owners club@nicksplace.comco The Legend

Apr 26, 2007, 4:40:55 AM4/26/07

"Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Chaney, old chap, in the last few days you have had lots of digs at the
> operating practices of what you consider to be lesser mortals among our
> brethren. There's a lot you could complain about, but most of these were
> without any justification. It seems to me, as well as consistently not
> understanding the convention of bottom-posting, that you really don't know
> much about amateur radio either!
>
> Sorry to be bitchy,

Just sling him in your killfile Ian, he's been in mine for years.

Regards
tox

Ken Ward

Apr 26, 2007, 4:43:35 AM4/26/07

"Chronos" <chr...@chronos.org.uk> wrote in message
> After replacing Ken Ward with a small shell script on Thursday 26 Apr 2007
> 00:47, the following appeared on stdout:
>
>> Said the man with a "M" calllsign.
>
> Who has, to my certain knowledge:
>
> Built high quality amplifiers of his own design from scratch;
> Cast his own lathe parts;
> Written custom software for SDRs;
> Repaired and restored older kit.
>
> Duncan is a real amateur with a real amateur background. Compare this to
> the
> G nothing up-group who can't spell, can't find the caps lock key and
> advocates deliberate interference because he can't find the band-change
> switch or the initiative to take him away from 2m.
>
> NEWSFLASH: 144-146MHz is NOT the only amateur band. Use another if you
> don't
> like the operator class you get on 2m. There are lots of them. Some of
> them
> may require a little skill to become QRV upon, so be careful; it's not
> just
> a case of buying a fibreglass stick off the shelf and connecting it to an
> FM set.
>
> If this is beyond your capability, please keep your tribulations to
> yourself. Not only does it make you look clueless, it wastes bandwidth.
> The
> clueful have been avoiding 2m for years and have no need of vindication of
> that wise decision.
> --
> Radio glossary #21
> Packet: An item which causes your XYL to not speak to you for five days
> when it arrives along with a Waters and Stanton invoice.

Hi Matt,
Let me remind you that my comment was about and in reply to, a one line
foul mouthed attack on me personally. If you want to qsy instead of "as you
say" waisting bandwidth on here, then I will turn the 10gHz dish towards
Sheepland.

G1ITV

Build a big linear and swear! You'll be looked up to in certain areas.

Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Apr 26, 2007, 5:15:00 AM4/26/07
In article <59auonF...@mid.individual.net>,
postm...@duncanamps.com (Duncan Munro) wrote:

> OK Ken, let's see how you get on with the following test.
>
> Q1. M calls replaced G calls because:
>
> [ ] They are used by CBers
>
> [ ] They are used by the terminally clueless
>
> [ ] OFCOM received 381 complaints about G calls
>
> [ ] The G calls ran out
>
> Only one of the answers above is correct - can you guess which one?

None of the above?

The G calls did not, as claimed, run out.

--
Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Ken Ward

Apr 26, 2007, 5:35:41 AM4/26/07

"Duncan Munro" <postm...@duncanamps.com> wrote in message

Good try, but...... None of the above There is still a G5three letter
series to be issued (withdrawn in 1986 for that reason).

G1ITV.

Ian Jackson

Apr 26, 2007, 5:36:49 AM4/26/07
In message <memo.2007042...@admin.vlaad.co.uk>, Paul Cummins -
G7FUJ <agree2...@spam.vlaad.co.uk> writes

>In article <59auonF...@mid.individual.net>,
>postm...@duncanamps.com (Duncan Munro) wrote:
>

>> OK Ken, let's see how you get on with the following test.
>>
>> Q1. M calls replaced G calls because:
>>
>> [ ] They are used by CBers
>>
>> [ ] They are used by the terminally clueless
>>
>> [ ] OFCOM received 381 complaints about G calls
>>
>> [ ] The G calls ran out
>>
>> Only one of the answers above is correct - can you guess which one?
>
>None of the above?
>
>The G calls did not, as claimed, run out.
>
>--
>Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

I've done a quick check on QRZ.com. At first sight, G0UFN seems to be
the last one listed.

I suspect that someone who 'had influence' got them to make the change
in order to reflect the change of image of amateur radio. Didn't the M0s
start when the M3s started (so that they would 'harmonize')?

Ian.

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Apr 26, 2007, 6:00:00 AM4/26/07
Duncan Munro <postm...@duncanamps.com> wrote:

> [ ] The G calls ran out
>
> Only one of the answers above is correct - can you guess which one?
>
> You've had two wrong answers so far, but don't forget you still have
> "Phone a Friend" and "50/50", so you're in with a very good chance here.

I dont know why you bother responding to the idiots.
This newsgroup is populated mainly by childish cretins with nothing better
to do than trade insults. Just plonk the offenders into a killfile.

Hints for the clueless :-
1) The age of a callsign is no indication of the licencees clue level.
2) The licence rules have changed, LIVE WITH IT
3) The 12 wpm morse test is dead, LIVE WITH IT
4) GROW UP and get a life.

--
g4jci

d...@bb.com

Apr 26, 2007, 6:18:59 AM4/26/07
MØ*** started being issued in 1996

Know your subject!

Message has been deleted

G1LVN

Apr 26, 2007, 6:38:12 AM4/26/07

http://www.geocities.com/rf-man/ukcalls.html

Message has been deleted

owners club@nicksplace.comco The Legend

Apr 26, 2007, 7:06:06 AM4/26/07

>>> COBBLERS!
>
> Try again.

Shall I get his furnace ready, Me Lord?

tox

Message has been deleted

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 8:15:10 AM4/26/07
Ian Jackson wrote:

> I've done a quick check on QRZ.com. At first sight, G0UFN seems to be
> the last one listed.

I know someone with a G0U.. call later than that.

--
ARRL membership = $39 (~£19.50)
RSGB membership = £44

Don't let them rip you off any more.
Do the right thing, resign from the RSGB today.

The RSGB said Radio Amateurs were a threat to national security!
Is this the type of organisation you want to represent you?

G1LVN

Apr 26, 2007, 8:37:23 AM4/26/07

"know code" <know...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>> I've done a quick check on QRZ.com. At first sight, G0UFN seems to be the
>> last one listed.
>

>I know someone with a G0U.. call later than that.

""SSL has informed the Society that as of last Wednesday morning, the latest
callsigns allocated were in the G0 X-Ray Alfa and G7 Whisky Lima series" -
24th March 1996 GB2RS. Switched over to M's at end of March.

So G0XA... something will be last one. G0XAY is listed on the Zed, so more
than likely he was the last G

owners club@nicksplace.comco The Legend

Apr 26, 2007, 8:41:24 AM4/26/07

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:06:06 GMT, "The Legend" <trabant owners
> club@Nicks place.comco> wrote:
>

>>Shall I get his furnace ready, Me Lord?
>>
>>tox
>
> Have we got room?
> Boris Yeltsin. Being Vodka in a solid form will be burning for ages
> yet.

BURN HIM, Me Lord!!! You must be joking, I'm RECYCLING him... "hic"

tox (just doing his bit for the environment)

Dead Paul

Apr 26, 2007, 8:43:16 AM4/26/07
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:10:19 +0000, Chaney wrote:

> Heard a 2E0 calling CQ a while ago...stroke static mobile!!!...what the
> fcuk is static mobile???...can't find it anywhere in my licence...surely
> he's either moving or he's still!!!...
>
> Another CBism infecting the amateur bands...

You'll be asking the chaps what "destinated" means soon. <yawn>

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

G1LVN

Apr 26, 2007, 8:47:00 AM4/26/07

"G1LVN" <gareth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> So G0XA... something will be last one. G0XAY is listed on the Zed, so
> more than likely he was the last G

"From: GB2RS
To: NEWS @ GBR
Subject: SOUTH WEST NEWS - 04 Feb 07 6/11

<snip>

On Friday 9 February North Bristol Amateur Radio Club is having a
nostalgic evening on the subject of 25 years of CB radio: bring your old
rig and twig for an eyeball! Dick G0XAY. Contact Dick, G0XAY, on XXXXXXX "

If it's G it's CB ;-)

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 8:57:54 AM4/26/07
c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:

> 1) The age of a callsign is no indication of the licencees clue level.
> 2) The licence rules have changed, LIVE WITH IT
> 3) The 12 wpm morse test is dead, LIVE WITH IT
> 4) GROW UP and get a life.

5) The lazy arsed B's who claimed for 20+ years to have no interest in
HF, and can now be heard on HF, will always be lazy arsed B's. LIVE
WITH IT.

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 9:02:45 AM4/26/07
Ian Jackson wrote:

> (2) I actually agree with you about bottom posting. I don't care what
> these mythical Usenet 'rules' say. To me, it's totally illogical.

Most people prefer to start at the beginning and work to the end.
until you come to the beginning.
always start reading at the end of a book and work up each page
My answer to that would be that it is only a natural way, if you
a discussion.
Yes, but some people say that this is the more natural way to read
the question.
Because you see the answer, then have to go down the page to find
Why is Top Posting a bad thing?

OR

Top-posting because that's where you found your cursor is like shitting
your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be.

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Apr 26, 2007, 10:37:58 AM4/26/07
know code <know...@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> 5) The lazy arsed B's who claimed for 20+ years to have no interest in
> HF, and can now be heard on HF, will always be lazy arsed B's. LIVE
> WITH IT.

More arrogant and insulting behaviour.
GROW UP.

Ian Jackson

Apr 26, 2007, 10:25:24 AM4/26/07
In message <Vb6dnaijXvV9Aa3b...@bt.com>, G1LVN
<gareth...@gmail.com> writes
Could well be. But there doesn't seem to be much after G0UFN. I wonder
if some of the later calls were those which were specially asked for? It
does look like there a lot of gaps (maybe another spate of 'Particulars
Withheld). Just because they are not 'on the Zed' doesn't mean that
others don't exist. Now, if only I could afford a Callbook ('Yearbook'
in the new-ham-speak?)....
Ian.

Ian Jackson

Apr 26, 2007, 10:38:40 AM4/26/07
In message <4630a2f5$0$15312$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl>, know code
<know...@wanadoo.nl> writes

>Ian Jackson wrote:
>
>> (2) I actually agree with you about bottom posting. I don't care what
>>these mythical Usenet 'rules' say. To me, it's totally illogical.
>
>Most people prefer to start at the beginning and work to the end.
>until you come to the beginning.
>always start reading at the end of a book and work up each page
>My answer to that would be that it is only a natural way, if you
>a discussion.
>Yes, but some people say that this is the more natural way to read
>the question.
>Because you see the answer, then have to go down the page to find
>Why is Top Posting a bad thing?
>
>OR
>
>Top-posting because that's where you found your cursor is like shitting
>your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be.

If I was reading a book, I would expect to start at the top (front), and
work down (towards the back). But that's not what we're doing. We are
starting with an empty file, and filling it up starting with the
original posting, and adding new postings on top. At least, that's how
real world paper files (and normal e-mails) work. The bit at the top of
the pile is the latest, and also the most accessible.

But I realise that I will never convince the misguided majority out
there, so I'll just have to go along with you all, and bottom-post.
However, maybe we should have a parallel NG for those who want to
top-post? Anyone for a uk.radio.amateur.tp?

Ian.

Chaney

Apr 26, 2007, 10:57:34 AM4/26/07
When I started using NG's a while back...not this one I hasten to
add...everyone top posted...it just stuck...

I do fit in well on amateur radio as I am as bigger prat as everyone
else!!!...this is a NG not amateur radio...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

> You have just said (in this thread, but in another posting) "When I made
> the transition from CB to Amateur Radio I too tried to fit in by adopting
> the formula that was around when I arrived...".

Chaney

Apr 26, 2007, 11:00:06 AM4/26/07
Ah...diddums...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

"The Legend" <trabant owners club@Nicks place.comco> wrote in message

G1LVN

Apr 26, 2007, 11:22:21 AM4/26/07

> Could well be. But there doesn't seem to be much after G0UFN. I wonder if
> some of the later calls were those which were specially asked for?

Nope all G0's were sequential. Could be he wanted XAY though and was willing
to wait. But there are quite a few other XA... on qrz.

> Withheld). Just because they are not 'on the Zed' doesn't mean that others
> don't exist.

G0XA was the last sequence issued by SSL according to the RSGB news of that
week. G0XAZ may have been issued with particulars withheld. If you hear a
G0XB. to G0XZ call, chances are it'll be a pirate.

Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Apr 26, 2007, 11:47:00 AM4/26/07
In article <TaydnYVdP4w...@bt.com>, gareth...@gmail.com
(G1LVN) wrote:

> G0XA was the last sequence issued by SSL according to the RSGB news
> of that week. G0XAZ may have been issued with particulars withheld.
> If you hear a G0XB. to G0XZ call, chances are it'll be a pirate.

IN the sequence G0XBA to G0ZZY there would be a little over 1500 calls.

In the G5 Sequence of G5AAA to G5ZZZ there were another 17,000 even
with callsigns like FUK remaining unissued.

So around 19,000 GnXXX calls were still available, before counting the
possibility of issuing GnnXXX or GnXXXX - 6 character callsigns became
a precedent with the 2E1XXX sequence being issued to novice licencees.

WE also had th G9 sequence available...

As to the M sequence, Who has M2? And why does M3 have to be
Foundation, when there are other sequences

--
Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Robert Maskill

Apr 26, 2007, 12:01:06 PM4/26/07
Paul Cummins - G7FUJ wrote:

> WE also had th G9 sequence available...
>
> As to the M sequence, Who has M2? And why does M3 have to be
> Foundation, when there are other sequences

G9 are test & Development

M2 are Home Office calls the Police in Peterborough used to sign VB but
their full callsign was M2VB

--
Robert Maskill - G4PYR - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
MF Coastal Radio www.coastalradio.org.uk

Message has been deleted

wibblywobbly™

Apr 26, 2007, 12:52:50 PM4/26/07
The Legend wrote:
> "Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Just sling him in your killfile Ian, he's been in mine for years.
>
> Regards
> tox

Nah.....Can't do that, Chaney is good entertainment value if nothing else.

--
73
wibblywobbly™.

Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Apr 26, 2007, 12:50:00 PM4/26/07
In article <iL2dnf7rAdpYUa3b...@bt.com>,
robert.nos...@gmail.com (Robert Maskill) wrote:

> G9 are test & Development

And what exactly are Amateurs then, if not involved in test and
development?

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 12:58:17 PM4/26/07

Raw nerve? Class B by any chance?

DieSea

Apr 26, 2007, 1:00:43 PM4/26/07

"The Legend" <trabant owners club@Nicks place.comco> wrote in message

> "Ian Jackson" <IanJacksonR...@g3ohx.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Chaney, old chap, in the last few days you have had lots of digs at the
>> operating practices of what you consider to be lesser mortals among our
>> brethren. There's a lot you could complain about, but most of these were
>> without any justification. It seems to me, as well as consistently not
>> understanding the convention of bottom-posting, that you really don't know much
>> about amateur radio either!
>>
>> Sorry to be bitchy,

> Just sling him in your killfile Ian, he's been in mine for years.
>
> Regards
> tox

No No Tox

Don't do that

He's entertaining to say the least

And a VERY good example to others

DieSea

Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Apr 26, 2007, 1:07:00 PM4/26/07
In article <iL2dnf7rAdpYUa3b...@bt.com>,
robert.nos...@gmail.com (Robert Maskill) wrote:

> > WE also had th G9 sequence available...
> >
> > As to the M sequence, Who has M2? And why does M3 have to be
> > Foundation, when there are other sequences
> >
> G9 are test & Development
>
> M2 are Home Office calls the Police in Peterborough used to sign VB
> but their full callsign was M2VB

The question stands - why does M3 have to be Foundation?

We found a new sequence for novice/intermediate, why not use ZHnXXX or
similar for Foundation? We have plenty of available sequences.

owners club@nicksplace.comco The Legend

Apr 26, 2007, 1:18:14 PM4/26/07

c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:
> know code <know...@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
>> 5) The lazy arsed B's who claimed for 20+ years to have no interest in
>> HF, and can now be heard on HF, will always be lazy arsed B's. LIVE WITH
>> IT.
>
> More arrogant and insulting behaviour.
> GROW UP.

Raw nerve? Class B by any chance?

Class B, what's that then?

tox

owners club@nicksplace.comco The Legend

Apr 26, 2007, 1:20:25 PM4/26/07

"DieSea" <DieSea.No...@nnttwlwoorrlldd.ccoomm> wrote in message

> No No Tox
>
> Don't do that
>
> He's entertaining to say the least
>
> And a VERY good example to others

I wouldn't know, I don't read his posts...

tox

Duncan Munro

Apr 26, 2007, 1:25:27 PM4/26/07
luc...@eternal-flames.gov wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:35:45 +0100, Duncan Munro
> <postm...@duncanamps.com> wrote:
>
>> ps: I've recently bought an AT5 to add to my old gear collection.
>> Lush... http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/shack.php
>
> I assume you've already got a manual for the beast, but just in case
> you haven't... I have one.

Ta for the offer, but the fellow threw in all the documents including a
really old original advert for it and a number of articles from radio
magazines. Thanks again.

--
Duncan Munro
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 2:01:48 PM4/26/07

Once a B, always a B!

Lurker

Apr 26, 2007, 2:24:53 PM4/26/07

c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:

>> More arrogant and insulting behaviour.
>> GROW UP.

>Raw nerve? Class B by any chance?

No, he is a real G4 who is happy to give his callsign- G4JCI. Chris is also
ex ZS6N Not someone pretending to have a licence like you.

Good to have you on the NG Chris- are you still a biker?

Robert Maskill

Apr 26, 2007, 2:27:40 PM4/26/07
Paul Cummins - G7FUJ wrote:
> In article <iL2dnf7rAdpYUa3b...@bt.com>,
> robert.nos...@gmail.com (Robert Maskill) wrote:
>
>> G9 are test & Development
>
> And what exactly are Amateurs then, if not involved in test and
> development?

They used to be issued to commercial companies and establishments doing
research, as far as I can remember they were not for two way
communications. I seem to remember that Aston University used to have
G9AA & G9AB many moons ago

Lurker

Apr 26, 2007, 2:28:02 PM4/26/07

>Once a B, always a B!

The real question is, have you always been a dork and do you intend to
remain one? Based on your postings you are a very "good" dork but is it
something you want to make a career of?

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 2:28:59 PM4/26/07
Lurker wrote:
> "know code" <know...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com wrote:
>
>>> More arrogant and insulting behaviour.
>>> GROW UP.
>
>> Raw nerve? Class B by any chance?
>

> No, he is a real G4 who is happy to give his callsign- G4JCI.

So, he just takes the hump when someone make a true statement about lazy
arsed B's? If it walks like a duck, quacks like duck..... Tell me
which part of my statement about lazy arsed B's was incorrect!

Now as for someone happy to give his callsign.... you're one to talk,
Lurker.... don't see you giving your callsign! Can you say "hypocrite"?

> Chris is also
> ex ZS6N Not someone pretending to have a licence like you.

You've been told before so I'm not going to waste my time repeating it....

Message has been deleted

Paul Cummins - G7FUJ

Apr 26, 2007, 3:00:00 PM4/26/07
In article <i6t133l7vsbnpvkvt...@4ax.com>,
luc...@eternal-flames.gov () wrote:

> There were a few amateurs who also had them, including the bloke who
> 'invented' the (in)famous "Slim Jim"
> There was - ISTR reading in PW in the mid 60s - an amateur in (I
> think) Herts. who had one for VLF testing of 'Earth'
> communications.

G6SPR had one as well... Nonetheless, they are there as well.

So there's about 40,000 unissued G calls.

How many Amateurs are there in the UK?

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Apr 26, 2007, 3:00:34 PM4/26/07

Just more insults from a troll in Holland who does not even know what a G4 is.

--
g4jci

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Apr 26, 2007, 3:10:14 PM4/26/07
Lurker <lur...@despammed.com> wrote:

> No, he is a real G4 who is happy to give his callsign- G4JCI. Chris is also
> ex ZS6N Not someone pretending to have a licence like you.
>
> Good to have you on the NG Chris- are you still a biker?

Indeed, at the moment I ride a 1966 Velocette LE and an 03 GS500 when I
want to go fast and make noise.
Obviously I should know you, but lur...@despammed.com means nothing to me.

know code

Apr 26, 2007, 3:26:06 PM4/26/07

Do you want to phone a friend on that, or take a 50:50? As has been
stated before, I hold a full UK (Class A) licence and have done for
quite a few years!!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

G1LVN

Apr 26, 2007, 5:32:43 PM4/26/07

"Paul Cummins - G7FUJ" <agree2...@spam.vlaad.co.uk> wrote in message

> So there's about 40,000 unissued G calls.

Well no, since WRC03 we've been able to have up to 4 letters after the
number (not just three). G2LMAF anyone?

> How many Amateurs are there in the UK?

probably be down to about 10,000 in ten years time.

Ian Jackson

Apr 26, 2007, 6:13:10 PM4/26/07
In message <pJSdnQTPG7PKh6zb...@bt.com>, G1LVN
<gareth...@gmail.com> writes
Don't forget, the G2+3s only went up to the G2Hxx. G2HPH seems to be the
last one listed, but there may have been a few more who are SK. What
with the unused G2s, and the unused tail end of the G0s, there seem to
be a lot of callsigns which could have been legitimately allocated to
Class A amateurs, long before we started the Ms. I'm glad I'm not a CW
fan. I would hate to have an M call.
Ian.
--

Message has been deleted

Chaney

Apr 26, 2007, 6:45:03 PM4/26/07
Oi you bastard...stop putting words in my mouth...

--

Chaney

Chaney's World
www.chaney.i12.com

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:57:34 GMT, "Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote:
>
>>I do fit in well on amateur radio as I am a bigger prat than everyone
>>else!!!...this is a NG not amateur radio...
>
> When you're right. You're right!

Duncan Munro

Apr 26, 2007, 6:56:49 PM4/26/07
Chronos wrote:
> After replacing Ken Ward with a small shell script on Thursday 26 April 2007
> 09:43, the following appeared on stdout:

>> Build a big linear and swear! You'll be looked up to in certain areas.

> Who mentioned linears? Did I mention linears?

I hope not, the normal drill these days is about 10 watts! Check out
the log - http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/log_main.php

> I said, and I quote, "Built high quality amplifiers of his own design from
> scratch." I deliberately didn't say what it was they amplify to give those
> with an axe to grind a chance to distort the issue before I had a chance to
> return from the deep, dark midlands to Fender off the retorts.

You will certainly marshall them into the corner...

> They go up to 11 so they must be good.

:-)

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 27, 2007, 2:46:10 AM4/27/07

> That bit wasn't aimed at you (I really should have made that clear), it
> was
> aimed at the amateur reporters like Chaney and Jim who are under some
> illusion that the antics of their local nutters interest people on here in
> the slightest.

I know, I just do it to annoy them........and we all get a laugh when they
reply....

>They don't; we have plenty of our own to listen to should we
> really want to and the sooner they STHU and find other bands to use, the
> better. Jim already swore off of 2m but he just keeps going back.

I only listen on the scanner now and again...I can't take too much of the
good buddy stuff......I also listen to MM3/2m0s in there natural environment
on CB......

Jim GM4DHJ

Apr 27, 2007, 2:50:01 AM4/27/07

> On 26/04/2007 at 20:26:06 know code wrote :
>> Do you want to phone a friend on that, or take a 50:50?
>
> Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, repetition!
>
> --
> P~K

Deviation.......