Re: New Labour expands police state surveillance into your holidays

Message has been deleted

UWF

Feb 7, 2009, 6:19:18 PM2/7/09

"Ar" <A...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:498e0b06$0$16173$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk...
> Thought you were safe from the New Labour crooks when you go on holiday,
> think again. No doubt you will roll over for the police state because New
> Labour says it's "for your protection".
>

> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5683677.ece

----------------

What on earth do people think the 'Broadband in every home' push is really
all about? - do they think that the government just want us all to access
our favourite sites a bit faster??

'A webcam in every room' is more the idea.

Trespasser

Feb 8, 2009, 6:44:51 AM2/8/09

> [...]
> it stays that way. Our high-tech electronic borders system will allow us
> to count all passengers in and out and targets those who aren't willing
> to play by our rules."
>
> In a report last week, the House of Lords constitution committee, whose
> members include Lord Woolf, the former lord chief justice, called for a
> significant cutback in the state's surveillance powers.
>
> It said Britain's traditions of privacy and democracy were under threat
> from pervasive and routine electronic spying and the mass collection of
> personal information.
>
> The Wythenshawe spy centre will house more than 300 police and
> immigration officers. A similar number of technicians will help check
> travellers' details against police, MI5, benefit agency and other
> government "watch lists".
>
> The exact location of the new database is a secret within Whitehall,
> although Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, accidentally let slip during a
> public talk to officials late last year that it was in the Manchester
> area. All staff have now been instructed to refer to it only as "a new
> operations centre in the northwest".
>
> The database is the unpublicised part of the government's so-called "e-
> borders" programme, intended to count everyone who comes in and out of
> the country by 2014. At the moment the UK Border Agency is running a
> pilot which monitors the travel movements of passengers on "high-risk"
> routes from a small number of airports, including Heathrow and Gatwick.
>
> Some 70m passenger movements have been tracked to date, but this is
> expected to increase to 100m by the end of April. Officials hope that by
> the end of next year 95% of the 250m annual passenger movements will be
> logged in the database.
>
> The origins of e-borders stem from 2005 when Tony Blair, then prime
> minister, was unable to say, during a television interview with the BBC's
> Jeremy Paxman, how many failed asylum seekers were in Britain.
>
> Under the scheme, once a person buys a ticket to travel to or from the UK
> by air, sea or rail, the carrier will deliver that person's data to the
> agency.
>
> The data is then checked against various watchlists to identify those
> involved in abuse of UK immigration laws, serious and organised crime,
> and terrorism.
>
> At the moment limited information about selected routes and travellers is
> kept on the pilot database run by the agency at an office in Hounslow,
> west London. In future, all such data will automatically be sent in bulk
> to the new database, instead of being released in response to specific
> requests by the authorities.
>
> Lord Carlile, the government's independent reviewer of terrorism
> legislation, said privacy concerns had to be balanced against the need to
> gather intelligence on terrorism suspects. "Travel patterns are a
> powerful tool in the fight against terrorism," he said.

alland...@live.co.uk

Feb 8, 2009, 11:30:49 AM2/8/09

> What on earth do people think the 'Broadband in every home' push is really
> all about? - do they think that the government just want us all to access
> our favourite sites a bit faster??

Actually, the ‘Broadband in every home’ push is just another load of
nothing, spun up to be bigger than building the railways was, all from
your friendly do something Government.

Mel Rowing

Feb 8, 2009, 11:53:32 AM2/8/09
On Feb 7, 10:28 pm, Ar <A...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Thought you were safe from the New Labour crooks when you go on holiday,
> think again. No doubt you will roll over for the police state because New
> Labour says it's "for your protection".
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5683677.ece

Well let's all bugger up the system then by booking holidays and not
going.

William Black

Feb 8, 2009, 3:30:41 AM2/8/09

"Ar" <A...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Thought you were safe from the New Labour crooks when you go on holiday,
> think again. No doubt you will roll over for the police state because New
> Labour says it's "for your protection".

Well the information will be available soon anyway.

The immigration service will be checking everyone's passports on exiting the
country sometime this year.

Leaving aside the obvious comment about the inability of the British
Government to manage major computer projects, what's your objection?

My objection is cost, it's useless.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

G Bell

Feb 9, 2009, 5:39:29 AM2/9/09
Ar <A...@127.0.0.1> writes:

>Thought you were safe from the New Labour crooks when you go on holiday,
>think again. No doubt you will roll over for the police state because New
>Labour says it's "for your protection".

>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5683677.ece

>"
>THE government is building a secret database to track and hold the
>international travel records of all 60m Britons.

For some things there's never a credit crunch. Suppose this is what
happens when you give the vote to people who shop at Asda.

Graham

Mike Plowman

Feb 9, 2009, 5:44:08 AM2/9/09

As I've said before, we now have a government mentality, regardless of
who is in power, that we are all guilty of something and they will do
anything to catch us.
--
Mike Plowman

Trespasser

Feb 9, 2009, 12:13:56 PM2/9/09
<..snip..>

Sorry I meant to say :

I saw it coming, and theres more in the pipeline. Imagine walking down the street with
your new shiney ID card and its inbuilt RFID chip to keep you safe from terrorists, every
WIFI hotspot and CCTV camera could contain an RFID transciever so the state knows who they
have on camera and track you because you have bought 3 packs of gillette razor blades
(joke). Imagine witnessing a mugging or burgulary, the days of minding your own business
are numbered as the state only have to check the monitoring system to see who was in the
immediate area.

Trust me, its coming !

--
Regards
Trespasser

I'm not paranoid, I use someone else's wireless network

I am not a free man, I am a number on someone's database

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Http://digitalgrudge.no-ip.org

----------------------------

John Rowland

Feb 9, 2009, 1:30:25 PM2/9/09

If you're suggesting that Labour's hatred of the British is shared by other
parties, where's your evidence?

Robin Fairbairns

Feb 10, 2009, 7:02:35 AM2/10/09
"John Rowland" <jo...@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Mike Plowman wrote:
>> As I've said before, we now have a government mentality, regardless of
>> who is in power, that we are all guilty of something and they will do
>> anything to catch us.
>
>If you're suggesting that Labour's hatred of the British is shared by other
>parties, where's your evidence?

no evidence, just likelihoods from history.

labour came to power with (among other things) a mandate to sort out
john major's 1920s fantasy railway. in fact, they did nothing, and in
recent years have gone further towards a completely screwed-up railway
where administrators, accountants and lawyers get the lions share of
the money.

this regularly happens. i can remember an occasion when it didn't
(the 1964 govt cancelled the tsr-2 programme). the 1951 tories'
promise to stop rationing asap actually happened, too (i was alive
then, but i don't remember it).
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge