Smallest places in Constituency names

jnn...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2006, 5:15:09 PM5/2/06
Totally anorak question but what are the 5 smallest towns to currently
have sole ownership of a constituency title? Also what are the 5
smallest towns to feature in shared constituency titles?

Wantage, Westbury, North Hykeham and Hessle were options which sprang
to mind...

JohnLoony

May 2, 2006, 5:28:45 PM5/2/06
Before 1983 it was "Eye" in Suffolk which has I think a population of
c.1,500.
How about Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey?

David Boothroyd

May 2, 2006, 7:07:21 PM5/2/06
In article <1146604509.6...@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

Practically no-one lives in Richmond Park itself.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 3, 2006, 1:46:08 AM5/3/06
Eddisbury. A hill-fort with nil population

JohnLoony

May 3, 2006, 2:32:28 AM5/3/06
Elmet. A 6th century Celtic kingdom with fuzzy unknown boundaries.

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 3, 2006, 2:34:29 AM5/3/06
>Eddisbury. A hill-fort with nil population

And if you want a "town" as such, I suggest Somerton.

Montgomery is smaller, but the name is for the county I believe. As is
Radnor, but there's no such place, only Old and New, both villages. Old
Radnor is little more than a church, a pub and a few farms.

John M Ward

May 3, 2006, 3:09:58 AM5/3/06
In article <david-5FCADD....@news.news.demon.net>,

David Boothroyd <da...@election.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <1146604509.6...@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> jnn...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Totally anorak question but what are the 5 smallest towns to
> > currently have sole ownership of a constituency title? Also
> > what are the 5 smallest towns to feature in shared constituency
> > titles?
> >
> > Wantage, Westbury, North Hykeham and Hessle were options which
> > sprang to mind...

> Practically no-one lives in Richmond Park itself.

...apart from the deer, but they don't have votes. If they had,
they'd probably like to be able to vote for our Councillor Doe:

www.john-ward.org.uk/horsted/councillors/information/HowardDoe.html

--
John M Ward - see http://www.horsted.john-ward.org.uk
Conservative Councillor for Rochester South & Horsted ward, Medway

John M Ward

May 3, 2006, 3:09:58 AM5/3/06
In article <1146637948.8...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

JohnLoony <john....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Elmet. A 6th century Celtic kingdom with fuzzy unknown
> boundaries.

Is that the place referred to by Shakespeare in A Midsummer Night's
Dream, as in: "Elmet by moonlight, proud Titania" ?

JNugent

May 3, 2006, 3:56:38 AM5/3/06
John M Ward wrote:

>JohnLoony <john....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>Elmet. A 6th century Celtic kingdom with fuzzy unknown
>>boundaries.

> Is that the place referred to by Shakespeare in A Midsummer Night's
> Dream, as in: "Elmet by moonlight, proud Titania" ?

And is there a supermarket there? You could make enquiry as to the whereabouts
of the bakery counter by asking: "Tell me, where is fancie bred?".

Aidan Thomson

May 3, 2006, 6:52:55 AM5/3/06
Although hardly a burgeoning metropolis, Nairn isn't _that_ small.

Some pretty small places in Scottish seats include:
a) Banff (OK, the seat is referring to the historic county rather than
the town, but the town is pretty small)
b) Chryston (bigger than Somerton, but still pretty small)
c) Shotts (ditto)
d) Lesmahagow (not sure of population, but smaller than some of the
others above)

And in England, none of 'the Deepings' (as in 'South Holland and...')
can surely be that big?

David Boothroyd

May 3, 2006, 9:39:44 AM5/3/06
In article <1146653574....@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

"Aidan Thomson" <aidant...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> And in England, none of 'the Deepings' (as in 'South Holland and...')
> can surely be that big?

Actually they are very large villages (my aunt used to live there).

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 3, 2006, 12:20:57 PM5/3/06
>Although hardly a burgeoning metropolis, Nairn isn't _that_ small.

I think the smallest town named in Scotland is Cromarty.

<pedant mode>

When it was "Ross and Cromarty" that was obviously a county but now
it's "Ross, Cromarty and Skye" that must refer to the town as there's
no such place as "Ross, Cromarty"

<end pedant mode>

Banff is quite a metropolis if you add MacDuff which adjoins. The other
three are big and dreary suburban and council Strathclyde settlements.

Aidan Thomson

May 3, 2006, 1:52:34 PM5/3/06
oliver_two wrote:

> <pedant mode>
>
> When it was "Ross and Cromarty" that was obviously a county but now
> it's "Ross, Cromarty and Skye" that must refer to the town as there's
> no such place as "Ross, Cromarty"
>
> <end pedant mode>

Two can play at pedantry. R&C is now divided up between Ross, Skye and
Lochaber and Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.

> Banff is quite a metropolis if you add MacDuff which adjoins.

Ye-es... but if you don't then you're looking at an electorate of not
much over 3000 (still bigger than Somerton, I realise).

> The other three are big and dreary suburban and council Strathclyde settlements.

Lesmahagow ward (which is larger than the town itself) has an
electorate of 3500, and not all of that will be within the town itself.
Chryston & Auchinloch ward has an electorate of under 3500, and not all
of that will be Chryston itself (indeed, the built-up area of
'Chryston' is really Chryston and Muirhead, which run into each other.
Similarly Shotts and Dykehead run into each other, but between them
can't have an electorate of more than about 5000 at the very most. In
short: dreary, undoubtedly; suburban, debateable (Chryston - yes,
Shotts - only insofar as it's on a railway line into Glasgow,
Lesmahagow - pushing it); large, only in comparison with Somerton or
Eye. They're all smaller than North Hykeham, certainly.

How small is Brigg?

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 3, 2006, 2:36:24 PM5/3/06
>Two can play at pedantry. R&C is now divided up between Ross, Skye and
>Lochaber and Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.

Yes, I know. I didn't think these had necassarily to be current.

The point about pedantry is that it's often wrong, of course.

>suburban, debateable

Well some places can be suburban without being a suburb of anywhere in
particular. What about Penn, Hambleton, Budbrooke or Mynydd Isa? As
suburban as they come, but where are they suburbs of?

>How small is Brigg?

Been thru' it. A Lincolnshire market town with all the trimmings. I'd
guess at 5000.

I don't think anyone's beaten my "zero" of Eddisbury, or Somerton as
smallest town currently mentioned, or my Old Radnor (OK indirectly but
it used to be just Brecon and Radnor, no "shire") as smallest inhabited
place. But just a bit of fun.

JohnLoony

May 3, 2006, 6:21:34 PM5/3/06

John M Ward wrote:
> JohnLoony <john....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Elmet. A 6th century Celtic kingdom with fuzzy unknown
> > boundaries.
>
> Is that the place referred to by Shakespeare in A Midsummer Night's
> Dream, as in: "Elmet by moonlight, proud Titania" ?

Don't talk to me about Shakespeare. He should have been strangled at
birth. It would have saved countless generations of innocent
schoolchildren from the horrendous torture of being forced to study his
plays. I would much prefer to spend several hours reading
Marxist-Leninist literature. In fact I *have* been spending several
hours reading M-L literature. Thus I now realise the extent to which
Trotskyism is a bourgeois reactionary ideology which would have
prevented the Russian revolution from happening in the first place, and
would have killed it quickly afterwards if it had. And that the purges
of the CPSU in the 1930s were merely administrative rationalisations
and tidyings-up of party membership records and membership cards. And
that the Trotskyites opposed the national liberation struggle of the
Vietnames people. And that North Korea is the most democratic country
in the world, and that it fully respects human rights. That's how much
I detest Shakespeare. Am I wandering off-topic? :-)

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 6:55:56 AM5/4/06
>>How small is Brigg?

>Been thru' it. A Lincolnshire market town with all the trimmings. I'd guess at 5000.

Oddly, Wallace and Criddle (1996) say 5000. Lucky guess.

Aidan Thomson

May 4, 2006, 12:40:57 PM5/4/06
> I don't think anyone's beaten my "zero" of Eddisbury, or Somerton as
> smallest town currently mentioned, or my Old Radnor (OK indirectly but
> it used to be just Brecon and Radnor, no "shire") as smallest inhabited
> place.

Presumably any seat named after a river (as opposed to a river valley)
would have no inhabitants - so 'Foyle' would qualify.

What about 'Strangford'? - not much human habitation in the lough, and
Strangford village (which isn't actually in the seat) is pretty tiny -
the ward of Strangford has an electorate of 1701, and that would
include outlying farms as well as the village itself.

jnn...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2006, 1:35:06 PM5/4/06
I was thinking more of populated towns rather than geographic features
otherwise you could include places like Upper Bann, New Forest,
Bassetlaw etc. Strangford is clearly named after the lough rather than
the village. Ross, Cromarty are clearly named after the county.
Similarly it's arguable that places like Moray, Radnor etc are named
after the historic counties (even if they now have different
boundaries) rather than the small former county towns.

Somerton certainly seems to be the smallest in England with about 4000,
just ahead of Gedling which has 5100 and thus is the smallest place to
have sole ownership as far as I can see. Brigg and Wolds ward has just
over 8k but obviously includes more than the town itself which probably
has about 6-7k.

jnn...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2006, 2:21:52 PM5/4/06
And two more ... Rye's electorate in 2000 was 3203, Battle's was 3631.

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 2:54:54 PM5/4/06
>And two more ... Rye's electorate in 2000 was 3203, Battle's was 3631.

I'm still claiming Eddisbury. Zero, but it used to have inhabitants,
and still could - you could pitch a tent on it. Not like a river.

Currently inhabited, the Radnors or Montgomery - both now have a
"shire" tagged on but it wasn't always so. Waller and Criddle say the
-shire was added because these old counties were coming back as
unitaries - but that didn't happen, so they might lose the suffix
again.

Tim Roll-Pickering

May 4, 2006, 3:00:59 PM5/4/06
oliver...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >And two more ... Rye's electorate in 2000 was 3203, Battle's was 3631.

> I'm still claiming Eddisbury. Zero, but it used to have inhabitants,
> and still could - you could pitch a tent on it. Not like a river.

As opposed to anchoring a houseboat?

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 3:36:16 PM5/4/06
>As opposed to anchoring a houseboat?

On the Foyle? Give it a go. Mind which flags you fly.

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 3:38:54 PM5/4/06
>On the Foyle?

I've just remembered - wasn't this the river whence "the boy stood on
the burning deck"? Question is, why was it burning? Wasn't this about
the siege in the 1690s?

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 3:54:44 PM5/4/06
>I've just remembered - wasn't this the river whence "the boy stood on the burning deck"?

No, that was the battle of the Nile. Damn. (Google first, then post.)

Richard Gadsden

May 4, 2006, 4:00:00 PM5/4/06
In article <1146768894....@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> on 4
May 2006 11:54:54 -0700, oliver...@hotmail.com () wrote:

> >And two more ... Rye's electorate in 2000 was 3203, Battle's was
> 3631.
>
> I'm still claiming Eddisbury. Zero, but it used to have inhabitants,
> and still could - you could pitch a tent on it. Not like a river.

How big is Sefton?

--
Richard Gadsden
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death

oliver...@hotmail.com

May 4, 2006, 4:16:52 PM5/4/06
>How big is Sefton?

There is a small village of that name. And Knowsley is an (inhabited)
estate, so I suppose K North and S East takes the prize for the only
seat with 2 very small places (except that they are also the names of
two stonking great metropolitan boroughs.)

I'm giving up on this when tonight's locals give us something real to
discuss.

JNugent

May 4, 2006, 7:38:12 PM5/4/06
Richard Gadsden wrote:
> In article <1146768894....@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> on 4
> May 2006 11:54:54 -0700, oliver...@hotmail.com () wrote:
>

>>>And two more ... Rye's electorate in 2000 was 3203, Battle's was
>>
>>3631.
>>
>>I'm still claiming Eddisbury. Zero, but it used to have inhabitants,
>>and still could - you could pitch a tent on it. Not like a river.
>

> How big is Sefton?

It's a Metropolitan District comprising several former county boroughs and a
load of former UDCs and TCs. It contains:

Bootle
Southport
Maghull
Litherland
Aintree (part)
Ainsdale
Birkdale

IOW, it's pretty big.

John M Ward

May 6, 2006, 4:32:09 PM5/6/06
In article <5tidnc_9P9e...@pipex.net>,

JNugent <not.t...@isp.com> wrote:
> John M Ward wrote:

> >JohnLoony <john....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> >>Elmet. A 6th century Celtic kingdom with fuzzy unknown
> >>boundaries.

> > Is that the place referred to by Shakespeare in A Midsummer
> > Night's Dream, as in: "Elmet by moonlight, proud Titania" ?

> And is there a supermarket there?

No. Puck had to girdle the Earth to find somewhere open at that
late hour, and thus get in the supplies. He'd Pick somewhere, Peek
at what was on offer, Pack it up and Puck it back to the forest.

If he were around today, he could save so much time in getting
ballot boxes to the count...

> You could make enquiry as to the whereabouts of the bakery
> counter by asking: "Tell me, where is fancie bred?".

Ooh, I like fancy bread!

Philip Davies

May 7, 2006, 7:14:41 AM5/7/06
<jnn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Totally anorak question but what are the 5 smallest towns to currently
> have sole ownership of a constituency title? Also what are the 5
> smallest towns to feature in shared constituency titles?
>
> Wantage, Westbury, North Hykeham and Hessle were options which sprang
> to mind...

The parish of Tatton had in the 2001 census a population of 40.