Re: Democracy as a Moral Reality

1 view

Abhidevananda

Aug 17, 2020, 2:43:28 AM8/17/20
Andrew Jones wrote:

> Democracy As A Moral Reality
>
> A fundamental shift in moral priorities has subtly as well as violently and steadily changed how a growing portion of the planet sees the world. It has come with philosophical, political and technological change. A deep psychological trauma to pre-existing cultural standards has occurred because of the philosophies and ethics which shape our culture and our lives; in particular the underlying philosophies of the intimately related enterprises of modern liberal democracy and science.

While I appreciate your ability to write or post lengthy tracts, sadly I
cannot match that with an ability to read them or even to discuss them
at length. The fact is that I disagree with so much that you seem to
take for granted. So, just to begin a discussion (as opposed to posting
propaganda), could you simply explain in which way you think "moral
priorities" have changed? Do people now prefer lying over truthfulness,
stealing and cheating over honesty, or hurting others over not hurting
them? Or do they simply give more value to non-theft as compared to
truthfulness than they used to?

As to your title, "Democracy as a Moral Reality", if you are talking
about a political system known as democracy, then I see your title as a
contradiction in terms. Political democracy ranges between amoral and
immoral, as I see it. It hardly becomes a "moral reality" when its
output (in the USA) is an autocrat who on a daily basis racks up a tally
of lies that would be hard for even the most accomplished prevaricator
to match.

--
Abhidevananda Avadhuta