Re: 2nd RFD: management_consolidation

Stephen Thomas Cole

May 27, 2019, 1:27:40 PM5/27/19
Mark Goodge <ma...@good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> delete newsgroup uk.net.news.config
> create moderated newsgroup uk.net.news.admin
>
> Changes from previous RFD:
>
> This is the second version of this RFD, following feedback on the
> previous version. There are three changes to the RFD from the previous
> version:
>
> 1) This version includes an alternate version of the Moderation
> Policy, as suggested by contributors to that discussion. Version 1 is
> the original policy from the 1st RFD. Version 2 is a new, shorter and
> simpler policy.
>
> 2) The mandatory clause prohibiting binaries has been added to the
> charter, and references to plain text removed from version 1 of the
> moderation policy (as this clause renders that redundant).
>
> 3) A clause prohibiting advertising has been added to the charter.
>
> Newsgroup line:
> uk.net.news.admin Management of the uk.* hierarchy (Moderated)
>

> *** ALL DISCUSSION MUST TAKE PLACE IN UK.NET.NEWS.CONFIG ***
>
> This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
> Further procedural details are given below.
>
> RATIONALE: management_consolidation
>
> There currently exists two groups where discussion of changes to the
> uk.* hierarchy are discussed: uk.net.news.config and
> uk.net.news.management.
>
> The second of these groups was created at a time when Usenet usage was
> at a peak. The rationale at the time was to separate proposals for
> changes to the guidelines, for which the new group,
> uk.net.news.management, was created, separating them from proposals
> for new groups (which continued to be discussed in
> uk.net.news.config).
>
> In retrospect, this change was probably unnecessary. It was a response
> to a perceived overload of uk.net.news.config at a time when both new
> group proposals and guidelines changes were taking place. The
> expectation at the time was that this would continue. In reality, it
> has not.
>
> Usenet, while by no means in terminal decline, does appear to have
> passed its peak. More pertinently, the number of new group proposals
> is now far lower, with the vast majority of topics that could need a
> group now having one. Equally, there seems to be less of an appetite
> for continual tinkering with the guidelines. Reverting to a single
> group for these purposes will minimise confusion.
>
> However, a separate issue has arisen which needs to be addressed.
> Several recent new group proposals have involved the creation of
> moderated groups, in response to a perceived need to have a "safe
> space" where trolls and wreckers cannot operate freely. These
> proposals, by their nature, have been controversial.
>
> A consequence of the successful forming of these groups has been that
> those who made their formation necessary have taken their disputes
> into the management groups. The vast majority of material currently
> posted to both uk.net.news.management and uk.net.news.config is off

Point of order; whilst this RFD is open, all abusive off-topic postings to
the management groups are actually on-topic, so “currently” above is
inaccurate. I don’t think that your error here is fatal to the RFD but I
suggest you consult The Committee for a ruling. HTH.

I will vote in favour of this proposal.

--
STC / M0TEY / People’s Champion 2018
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur