SteamPunk the New "CyberGoths?"

Ben Fletcher

Mar 23, 2016, 10:25:31 AM3/23/16
So I think it's pretty safe to say CyberGoth has pretty much died then.

I remember in the clubs, you would see loads of them. If anything, Trad seems to have made a bit of a comeback.

Few cybers kicking around in Whitby but SteamPunk is now all the rage. Funny thing is, I have never seen any Steampunks in the clubs.

jackie....@googlemail.com

Mar 29, 2016, 10:17:16 AM3/29/16
steampunk at Whitby tends to be quite insular and they go to the Rifle Club for their entertainments. Unfortunately I have tix for April Spa that clashes with Simon Satori's new band that I wanted to see!

Ben Fletcher

Mar 30, 2016, 6:25:59 AM3/30/16
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 3:17:16 PM UTC+1, jackie....@googlemail.com wrote:
> steampunk at Whitby tends to be quite insular and they go to the Rifle Club for their entertainments. Unfortunately I have tix for April Spa that clashes with Simon Satori's new band that I wanted to see!

Only ever been to the Rifle Club for stalls. We have been going to WGW since 2008 and there have always been Steampunks about and a few of them do go to the Spa. Rarely seen them outside Whitby, but when I have it's either a group of them at Conventions, Picnics/Tea Parties and Museum visits. So I am guessing it's not really a club scene as such. I know a few goths have "gone over to the Brownside".

I have no problem with them other then at one point it did feel as though they were taking over WGW, despite having their own Festival in Lincoln.

Corwyn

Apr 3, 2016, 12:53:51 PM4/3/16
On 3/30/2016 3:25 AM, Ben Fletcher wrote:
> Only ever been to the Rifle Club for stalls. We have been going to WGW
> since 2008 and there have always been Steampunks about and a few of them
> do go to the Spa. Rarely seen them outside Whitby, but when I have it's
> either a group of them at Conventions, Picnics/Tea Parties and Museum
> visits. So I am guessing it's not really a club scene as such.

It's not- Steampunk came out of literature, not music. It's always seemed
more fashion/gadget-centered than, dare I say it, a life-style or culture.
The kind of thing that people (users? participants?) put on and take off.

YMMV, of course.

a 3rd-rate fashionista

Ben Fletcher

Apr 4, 2016, 9:54:48 AM4/4/16
I think you're probably right there. I've been told the music is something of an acquired taste (ok I was told its pretty shit). A few claim it's an offshoot of Goth but I fail to see it myself.

Ultimately, it contributes no more to WGW then if I turned up in my re-enactment armour just to parade about town, taking up the limited accommodation in doing so.

David Damerell

Apr 5, 2016, 1:53:22 PM4/5/16
Quoting Ben Fletcher <bensfl...@gmail.com>:
>On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 3:17:16 PM UTC+1, jackie....@googlemail.com w=
>rote:
>>steampunk at Whitby tends to be quite insular and they go to the Rifle
>>Club for their entertainments.
>Only ever been to the Rifle Club for stalls.

They had The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing a few years ago, who
are pretty good - and a rare steampunk band who are actually punks, with
angry shouty songs about the failures of Tory politics (circa 1850).
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
And now, a seemingly inexplicable shot of a passing train.

David Damerell

Apr 5, 2016, 1:57:34 PM4/5/16
Quoting Corwyn <bluec...@yahoo.com>:
>It's not- Steampunk came out of literature, not music.

And Space: 1889. :-)

Ben Fletcher

Apr 7, 2016, 6:27:52 AM4/7/16
I have heard of that band but I have never listened to anything of theirs.
I suppose ultimately, Steampunk is currently in its "heyday" just as CyberGoth was about 10-12 years ago. However I can see it potentially lasting longer then CyberGoth did, given it has its own festivals. Cyber for the most part, latched onto WGW and existing goth clubs.

David Damerell

Apr 7, 2016, 1:23:24 PM4/7/16
Quoting Ben Fletcher <bensfl...@gmail.com>:
>On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 6:57:34 PM UTC+1, David Damerell wrote:
>>Quoting Corwyn <bluec...@yahoo.com>:
>>>It's not- Steampunk came out of literature, not music.
>>And Space: 1889. :-)
>I have heard of that band but I have never listened to anything of theirs.

Space: 1889 is a tabletop RPG from the late 80s. As such, you haven't
listened to anything by it because it doesn't make a noise. :-P
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Aponoia, April.

Corwyn

Apr 8, 2016, 12:55:46 AM4/8/16
On 4/7/2016 10:23 AM, David Damerell wrote:
> Space: 1889 is a tabletop RPG from the late 80s. As such, you haven't
> listened to anything by it because it doesn't make a noise. :-P

Drop the books and see what happens.