Whitby 2020ish

Erith Romycin

Nov 5, 2020, 8:11:35 PM11/5/20
So I know some groups had zoom activities, on traditional dates.
I know some folk were there in person.

Did anyone here go?
--
erith - .sig

David Damerell

Nov 9, 2020, 8:08:00 AM11/9/20
Quoting Erith Romycin <erithr...@ananzi.co.za>:
>I know some folk were there in person.
>Did anyone here go?

Not I. I'd pessimistically [1] booked a cottage, but cancelled it; but I
know at least a few people were there.

[1] the most likely scenario where I'd get to go seemed to be one where
things were so fucked it wouldn't represent significant additional risk.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
And now, a seemingly inexplicable shot of a passing train.

Erith Romycin

Mar 10, 2021, 7:39:32 PM3/10/21
On 09/11/2020 13:07, David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Erith Romycin <erithr...@ananzi.co.za>:
>> I know some folk were there in person.
>> Did anyone here go?
>
> Not I. I'd pessimistically [1] booked a cottage, but cancelled it; but I
> know at least a few people were there.
>
> [1] the most likely scenario where I'd get to go seemed to be one where
> things were so fucked it wouldn't represent significant additional risk.

This seems fair. I am hopeful about this April, in that it may be
possible to stay in a cottage in Whitby but not permissible to travel to
Whitby in order to do so. I won't even get into how many times I have
already had to rearrange it due to annual leave at work.

I understand the 'fuckedness' thresholds though. Such is pandemic life.
--
erith - .sig

David Damerell

Mar 12, 2021, 7:55:32 AM3/12/21
Quoting Erith Romycin <erithr...@ananzi.co.za>:
>This seems fair. I am hopeful about this April, in that it may be
>possible to stay in a cottage in Whitby but not permissible to travel to
>Whitby in order to do so. I won't even get into how many times I have
>already had to rearrange it due to annual leave at work.

I suspect it'll become clear I can do both at the exact point it is too
late to get one of leave, trains, or a cottage.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Clown shoes. I hope that doesn't bother you.

Erith Romycin

Mar 14, 2021, 11:46:23 AM3/14/21
On 12/03/2021 12:55, David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Erith Romycin <erithr...@ananzi.co.za>:
>> This seems fair. I am hopeful about this April, in that it may be
>> possible to stay in a cottage in Whitby but not permissible to travel to
>> Whitby in order to do so. I won't even get into how many times I have
>> already had to rearrange it due to annual leave at work.
>
> I suspect it'll become clear I can do both at the exact point it is too
> late to get one of leave, trains, or a cottage.

I have leave, a cottage, and a car - but at this rate I expect something
to go wrong at one end or another, and if I have to mail order stuff
from Whitby Deli and have fish and chips at home I shall.

I think it will make the rebirth Whitby all the more special, but
goodness knows when that will be - probably this October, but who can be
sure? If dates do need to be rearranged into 2022 it would be helpful to
know when they were so things could be moved again.

If we're allowed to holiday but only within local authority or
healthboard areas I suspectg Whitby will do well with re-offering
places, and I can only hope that past experiences with hasty reshuffling
of WGW dates have been helpful here.
--
erith - .sig

Erith Romycin

Mar 26, 2021, 8:22:26 PM3/26/21
On 14/03/2021 15:46, Erith Romycin wrote:

> I think it will make the rebirth Whitby all the more special, but
> goodness knows when that will be - probably this October, but who can be
> sure? If dates do need to be rearranged into 2022 it would be helpful to
> know when they were so things could be moved again.

So one must assume this October, since it seems most aren't able to make
April. The dates for travel are opening after the weekend itself, and
even then may be limited to local authority or other area.

> If we're allowed to holiday but only within local authority or
> healthboard areas I suspectg Whitby will do well with re-offering
> places, and I can only hope that past experiences with hasty reshuffling
> of WGW dates have been helpful here.

Still counting on this though.
--
erith - .sig