SAS tracker Eddie McGee: dies at 64

Michael Rhodes

May 23, 2002, 8:37:47 PM5/23/02
An SAS tracker who helped police to corner a triple killer in North
Yorkshire has died.

World famous survival expert Eddie McGee died at his home in
Nidderdale, North Yorkshire, England, aged 64.

The former army sergeant major and PT instructor, who for years ran
the National School of Survival centre from his home village, was also
famed for tracking down a three-times murderer Barry Prudom at Malton,
Yorkshire in 1982.

McGee was born in Leeds, and learned his tracking and self-defence
techniques and the art of survival during his years serving as an army
paratrooper with the British Special Forces. He was also expert in
karate, ju-jitsu and aikido.

His book *No Need to Die* became a bible for enthusiasts of personal
survival studies.

His life of adventure in and out of the services encompassed a large
amount of exploration in Africa including the Zaire River Expedition.

His expertise in tracking led to his being called in by police hunting
suspects and fugitives. The talents also brought demand for him to
train officers in the techniques and he ran residential courses for
various forces including North Yorkshire Police and the Greater
Manchester Police.

In recent years he helped with the detection of several murders in the
Manchester area and also acted a consultant for security companies,
business groups and the police. He had also worked as a bodyguard.

His fame grew after he was called in to hunt for Prudom, who in
addition to shooting dead two Yorkshire police officers and a
Lincolnshire man had also wounded two women including a police dog
handler.

On the fifth day of the search, using footprints in the early morning
dew, he tracked down Prudom from a Malton cottage to a fresh lair he
had made in the undergrowth.

Cornered by police marksmen, Prudom, armed with a gun and machete,
refused to give himself up and shot himself in the head.

Eddie McGee was only taken ill several weeks ago when he was
discovered to have cancer.

wobbley

May 24, 2002, 6:55:22 PM5/24/02
I remember "Survival with Eddie McGee" - His own show in which he had a
matchbox containing everthing needed for survival in the wild, stuff like
fishing line, a needle, matches, etc. I had visions of hundreds of kids
going off for the weekend with their 'matchboxes' ready for a dose of the
wild!
Just for the record,- Barry Prudom, shot himself when cornered, THEN was
shot sixty (60) times by the police. I dont condone murderers, far from it,
but it does show that the police had decided to bring out a body, and not a
prisoner. I seem to remember a lot of hype in the press at that time because
this incident coincided with the release of the film "First Blood" - Rambo,
and many people, and the press compared the film with Prudoms spree.
BTW. I dont want to speak ill of the dead but rumour had it that Eddies
bladder emptied when he stumbled upon Prudom

"The Pope" <ho...@the.vatican> wrote in message
> On 23 May 2002 17:37:47 -0700, michaellawr...@btinternet.com

> (Michael Rhodes) wrote:
>
> >An SAS tracker who helped police to corner a triple killer in North
> >Yorkshire has died.
>

> Good.

Rob D

May 24, 2002, 7:34:55 PM5/24/02
michaellawr...@btinternet.com (Michael Rhodes) wrote in

> World famous survival expert Eddie McGee died

Expert huh?

Paul Grayson

May 24, 2002, 7:18:22 PM5/24/02
On 23 May 2002 17:37:47 -0700, Michael Rhodes wrote:

> World famous survival expert Eddie McGee died at his home in
> Nidderdale, North Yorkshire, England, aged 64.

There was an obit in my local weekly newspaper today. I'll post a
transcript if anyone is interested.

Michael Rhodes

May 25, 2002, 5:21:34 AM5/25/02
Rob D <J...@mama.com> wrote in message news:<acmimv$qle1c$2...@ID-134025.news.dfncis.de>...

He thought so, and many people agreed.

alanG

May 25, 2002, 12:54:46 PM5/25/02
On Fri, 24 May 2002 22:55:22 +0000 (UTC), "wobbley"
<wob...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I remember "Survival with Eddie McGee" - His own show in which he had a
>matchbox containing everthing needed for survival in the wild, stuff like
>fishing line, a needle, matches, etc. I had visions of hundreds of kids
>going off for the weekend with their 'matchboxes' ready for a dose of the
>wild!
>Just for the record,- Barry Prudom, shot himself when cornered, THEN was
>shot sixty (60) times by the police. I dont condone murderers, far from it,
>but it does show that the police had decided to bring out a body, and not a
>prisoner.

It showed the police were not fit to be issued with firearms. I was
one of many who complained to the authorities. The police opened fire
on the hut where Prudom was cornered without bothering to find out if
he had any hostages. There could have been a couple of kids in there
for all these hyped up psychopaths knew.

> I seem to remember a lot of hype in the press at that time because
>this incident coincided with the release of the film "First Blood" - Rambo,
>and many people, and the press compared the film with Prudoms spree.
>BTW. I dont want to speak ill of the dead but rumour had it that Eddies
>bladder emptied when he stumbled upon Prudom
>
>"The Pope" <ho...@the.vatican> wrote in message
>> On 23 May 2002 17:37:47 -0700, michaellawr...@btinternet.com
>> (Michael Rhodes) wrote:
>>
>> >An SAS tracker who helped police to corner a triple killer in North
>> >Yorkshire has died.
>>
>> Good.

Alan G

Edwin King

May 27, 2002, 3:30:05 PM5/27/02

Michael Rhodes wrote:

> An SAS tracker who helped police to corner a triple killer in North
> Yorkshire has died.

He was seen on British tv last year as the trainer of a group of hapless
volunteers, who were eventually whittled down to a half-dozen and then
dumped on the Amazon to fend for themselves.

Edwin

Rob D

May 28, 2002, 12:37:38 AM5/28/02

> Rob D <J...@mama.com> wrote in message
>> michaellawr...@btinternet.com (Michael Rhodes) wrote in
>>
>> > World famous survival expert Eddie McGee died
>>
>> Expert huh?
>
> He thought so, and many people agreed.

Well, he really dropped the ball this time.

preppingands...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2017, 3:35:20 AM6/17/17
I once when to see Eddie give a talk in my local library. This guy inspired me greatly to learn about survival and his book was one of the first books I purchased with my own cash !

stepheno...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2019, 9:25:11 AM6/8/19

stepheno...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2019, 9:25:33 AM6/8/19

stepheno...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2019, 9:28:16 AM6/8/19
I knew Eddie McGee from the time I was stationed in Ripon when he was a PTI. A good man who did not drink or smoke and would not visit the Sgt's Mess as he much to the annoyance of the RSM.

chriscl...@gmail.com

May 15, 2020, 5:56:13 PM5/15/20
I remember as a young kid Eddie who was my dads corporal and pti at the battle school in brecon. Also a good carpenter.
As the time he was amongst my dad brian Nobby Clarke, jack Bourne, Hamish magregor colonelWalters and general Farar Hockley

bob bop

Oct 17, 2020, 4:35:49 PM10/17/20
On Friday, 15 May 2020 at 22:56:13 UTC+1, chriscl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I remember as a young kid Eddie who was my dads corporal and pti at the battle school in brecon. Also a good carpenter.
> As the time he was amongst my dad brian Nobby Clarke, jack Bourne, Hamish magregor colonelWalters and general Farar Hockley

I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with Eddie on a survival course with the TA that he ran in 1979. He was a humble, caring and a very talented man who I held in the highest esteem and as a role model. I at the time wanted to be in the Army and found him to the epitome of an elite professional. R.I.P. Eddie.

Joe Morton

Feb 2, 2022, 4:08:32 PM2/2/22
Dear Alan G, you fucking piece of shit, he was my great Uncle and helped track a dangerous murderer, what the fuck have you done other than write hate comments

The 13th Duke of Wybourne

Nov 3, 2022, 6:39:24 AM11/3/22
I think your comment should have been directed at Rob D or wobbley rather than Alan G 🤔

Paul Burlace

Dec 31, 2023, 12:20:08 PM12/31/23
Eddie was our unarmed combat and bayonet figthing instructor Maida Bks 1968 RIP.