RFD: uk.people.bodyart

Graham Drabble

Apr 25, 2010, 6:31:37 AM4/25/10

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:

delete newsgroup uk.people.bodyart

Newsgroup line:
uk.people.bodyart A UK-focused discussion forum on body modifications

*** ALL DISCUSSION MUST TAKE PLACE IN UK.NET.NEWS.CONFIG ***

This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Further procedural details are given below.

RATIONALE: uk.people.bodyart

It has long been custom within uk.* to check for groups that are not
being used and then to remove them. By doing this we keep the number of
dead groups down increasing the chances that someone stumbling across a
group will find it useful.

An analysis of the posts to uk.people.bodyart from 2009-07-01 to
2010-04-23 has shown that there there were 6 posts in that period,
details of which are shown below.

UGG Bailey Button Boot Chestnut 5803 www.voguemonster.com
"johnson smith"<joh...@yahoo.com>
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:30:46 +0800

Free tattoo gallary
cyber <freefre...@yahoo.com>
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:42:54 -0700 (PDT)

Is this group being used?
Graham Drabble <usen...@drabble.me.uk>
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:38:05 GMT

Re: Is this group being used?
doetnietcomputeren <doesnot...@gmail.com>
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:08:18 +0100

knockoff gucci handbags and Fendi bags
http://www.lisahandbags.com
"www.86watches.net"<gold...@126.com>
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:51:42 +0800

Is this group being used?
Graham Drabble <usen...@drabble.me.uk>
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:28:16 +0100

CHARTER:
uk.people.bodyart

This newsgroup is for the discussion of tattooing, piercing,
scarification, branding and other body modifications for those in the UK,
or with a connection to the UK. Questions, recommendations, experiences,
observations, discussion of events and employment or training
opportunities related to the above are all on-topic.

Advertising

Advertising is forbidden, but posters may refer to a body-art related
business in a sig of four lines or fewer. Personal adverts may be posted
to alt.personals.bodyart or uk.adverts.personals.

Binaries & Formatting

Encoded binaries (e.g. pictures, compressed files, etc.), are
*forbidden*, except for cryptographic signatures (e.g. PGP). Binaries
belong on a web or ftp site, whose URL may be posted, or relevant
pictures may be posted to alt.binaries.pictures.bodyart with a pointer in
uk.people.bodyart.

Posts must be in plain text. To see how to make your newsreader comply
with this, read <http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html>.

END CHARTER

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase of
the process, any potential problems with the proposal should be raised
and resolved. The discussion period will continue for a minimum of 10
days, starting from when this RFD is posted to uk.net.news.announce
(i.e. until May 6th) after which a Call For Votes (CFV) may be
posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion warrants it.
Alternatively, the proposal may proceed by the fast-track method. Please
do not attempt to vote until this happens.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the "Guidelines for Group Creation
within the UK Hierarchy" as published regularly in uk.net.news.announce
and is available from http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html (the UK
Usenet website). Please refer to this document if you have any questions
about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:
uk.net.news.announce
uk.net.news.config
uk.people.bodyart

Proponent:
Graham Drabble <usen...@drabble.me.uk>

Wm...

Apr 28, 2010, 7:33:28 PM4/28/10
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:31:37
<rfd1-uk.people.bodyart-20100425103137$6f...@matrix.darkstorm.co.uk>
uk.net.news.config Graham Drabble <usen...@drabble.me.uk>

[I have included uk.people.bodyart in this posting and have set ff to
uk.net.news.config, I explain why below]

> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
>This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
>in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> delete newsgroup uk.people.bodyart
>
>Newsgroup line:
>uk.people.bodyart A UK-focused discussion forum on body modifications
>

> *** ALL DISCUSSION MUST TAKE PLACE IN UK.NET.NEWS.CONFIG ***
>
>This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
>Further procedural details are given below.
>
>RATIONALE: uk.people.bodyart
>
>It has long been custom within uk.* to check for groups that are not
>being used and then to remove them. By doing this we keep the number of
>dead groups down increasing the chances that someone stumbling across a
>group will find it useful.
>
>An analysis of the posts to uk.people.bodyart from 2009-07-01 to
>2010-04-23 has shown that there there were 6 posts in that period,
>details of which are shown below.

[snip, it is a pun in context if you're in a humorous mood]

Dnc seems to be active in the group and wanting it to continue. However
one person doesn't make a group. Do you (Dnc) think we should remove
it?

I think part of the problem may be that bodyart is (I think) a largely
visual thing and uk.* doesn't allow binaries so it wasn't really going
to work *if* the idea was for people to show other people what they did
to themselves or had done to them rather than talk about stuff.

Bodyart isn't my thing but I think the last person making sensible
contributions to the group (I think that is Dnc) should say if we should
dump it or not.

If Dnc says "yes" then I think it should go.

--
Wm...

Graham Drabble

May 1, 2010, 3:53:45 PM5/1/10
On 25 Apr 2010 Graham Drabble <usen...@drabble.me.uk> wrote in
k:
> REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
> This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
> changes in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
>
> delete newsgroup uk.people.bodyart

Noone has yet said they use the group. Unless anyone objects I will be
asking for a FT on 6th May.

--
Graham Drabble
http://www.drabble.me.uk/

doetnietcomputeren

May 9, 2010, 2:20:48 PM5/9/10
On 2010-04-29 01:33:28 +0200, "Wm..."
<tcn...@blackhole.do-not-spam.me.uk> said:

> [snip, it is a pun in context if you're in a humorous mood]
>
> Dnc seems to be active in the group and wanting it to continue.
> However one person doesn't make a group. Do you (Dnc) think we should
> remove it?

Having been around since just a few weeks after the group was created,
I keep an eye on it in my news reader.

Although I acknowledge that genuine traffic has slowed to a minimal
amount, It is not my place to decide whether the group should, or
should not exist.

> I think part of the problem may be that bodyart is (I think) a largely
> visual thing and uk.* doesn't allow binaries so it wasn't really going
> to work *if* the idea was for people to show other people what they did
> to themselves or had done to them rather than talk about stuff.

This was never a problem in the past, in fact, in many cases it was a
positive attribute to the group, in that people could post freely
without worrying that their images would be stolen, misused or used to
identify them.

> Bodyart isn't my thing but I think the last person making sensible
> contributions to the group (I think that is Dnc) should say if we
> should dump it or not.
> If Dnc says "yes" then I think it should go.

One person does not make a group, and nor should one person be the
deciding factor.

I am still in contact with some of the original posters, and will alert
them to this thread for further response.

--
Dnc