Re: Ping STC re RFD/CFV

Tony

Dec 17, 2014, 6:33:59 PM12/17/14
In uk.net.news.config, Matthew Vernon <mat...@debian.org> wrote:

>kat <little...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> What I find really odd is that apart from the macsoup thing which
>> needs to have the posts in the first place, I gather, no-one has said
>> what they use that works.
>
>I use gnus, which works on any platform that can run emacs (so Unix,
>windows, Macos at least). "j" lets you jump to an article number or
>message-id.
>
>As it happens the news-server I run has a neat utility called nntpid
>which lets you paste message-ids (in a number of formats) and gives you
>the article back in a pager.

I'll see your nntpid and raise you a

/usr/lib/news/bin/sm $(/usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<message@id>')

btw: do you have a link to the nntpid source?

(CP & FU set to erm, uk.net)
--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives of uk.net.news.* from 2004 and older.

Owen Dunn

Dec 18, 2014, 2:01:37 PM12/18/14
Tony <to...@darkstorm.invalid> writes:

> I'll see your nntpid and raise you a
>
> /usr/lib/news/bin/sm $(/usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<message@id>')
>
> btw: do you have a link to the nntpid source?

I'm aware of a couple of implementations, probably related.

Simon Tatham's:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/utils/nntpid.html

Ian Jackson's:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~ian/git?p=chiark-utils.git;a=summary
(and packaged in Ubuntu and Debian as chiark-utils)

(S)
--
`Touch can bring blossom to things that decay.'

Tony

Dec 18, 2014, 5:31:11 PM12/18/14
In uk.net, Owen Dunn <ow...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Tony <to...@darkstorm.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'll see your nntpid and raise you a
>>
>> /usr/lib/news/bin/sm $(/usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<message@id>')
>>
>> btw: do you have a link to the nntpid source?
>
>I'm aware of a couple of implementations, probably related.
>
>Simon Tatham's:
>
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/utils/nntpid.html

Thank you. I did find that yesterday via google, but didn't go back up one
directory and assumed it was just the man page with no download!

>Ian Jackson's:
>
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~ian/git?p=chiark-utils.git;a=summary
>(and packaged in Ubuntu and Debian as chiark-utils)

Aha thanks, I had a quick look in apt-cache, but searched nntpid.

Ian Jackson

Dec 21, 2014, 11:28:29 AM12/21/14
In article <m6t3t6$olb$1...@matrix.darkstorm.co.uk>,
Tony <to...@darkstorm.co.uk> wrote:
>In uk.net.news.config, Matthew Vernon <mat...@debian.org> wrote:
>>As it happens the news-server I run has a neat utility called nntpid
>>which lets you paste message-ids (in a number of formats) and gives you
>>the article back in a pager.
>
>I'll see your nntpid and raise you a
>/usr/lib/news/bin/sm $(/usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<message@id>')

That obviously only works on the server. nntpid just uses the NNTP
protocol which conveniently lets you retrieve messages by ID. I have
no idea why some newsreaders make that hard...

>btw: do you have a link to the nntpid source?
>(CP & FU set to erm, uk.net)

I think Matthew is referring to this version:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~ian/git?p=chiark-utils.git;a=blob;f=scripts/nntpid;;hb=HEAD

It turns out that we (the various authors of and contributors to
nntpid) have accidentally forked it. It was originally by Simon
Tatham and I think we are going to switch to his version RSN, but I
don't have a URL for that right now.

--
Ian Jackson personal email: <ijac...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/

Tony

Dec 21, 2014, 11:57:59 AM12/21/14
In uk.net, ijac...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) wrote:

>In article <m6t3t6$olb$1...@matrix.darkstorm.co.uk>,
>Tony <to...@darkstorm.co.uk> wrote:

>>btw: do you have a link to the nntpid source?
>>(CP & FU set to erm, uk.net)

>I think Matthew is referring to this version:
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~ian/git?p=chiark-utils.git;a=blob;f=scripts/nntpid;;hb=HEAD
>
>It turns out that we (the various authors of and contributors to
>nntpid) have accidentally forked it. It was originally by Simon
>Tatham and I think we are going to switch to his version RSN, but I
>don't have a URL for that right now.

Thanks.
--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives of uk.net.news.* from 2004 and earlier.