uk.* history

Tony

Jul 2, 2013, 6:35:01 PM7/2/13
So as well as trying to collect archives for uk.net.news.* and uk.net.*,
I'm also trying to put a potted history of the uk.* hierarchy together.

If you're a netnews nerd, the control message archive makes interesting
reading.

Anyway, as part of the process, I've started listing information here,

http://matrix.darkstorm.co.uk/news/history.php

which at the moment, just has a list of all the posts in my
uk.net.news.announce archive (goes back to around 1997).

uk.net.news.announce itself was created in 1995. Google has what looks
like the full archive, but extracting the posts one at a time (including
typing in a CAPTCHA to see real e-mail addresses) is a seriously slow
process. I may continue though if I can't find an archive anywhere else.

If you're interested, here's some of the control message for the creation
of uk.net.news.announce,

Date: 14 Aug 1995 13:46:31 BST
From: Richard Letts <con...@usenet.org.uk>

For your newsgroups file:
uk.net.news.announce For RFDs, CFVs, FAQs, etc. within the UK
Hierarchy. (Moderated)

I love the Distribution line.
--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives for uk.* from 1998 and older. Especially interested