Whatever happened to....

JohnM

May 10, 2006, 2:51:02 PM5/10/06

Dr Bob and Tigger? Daf? Ghostfire? Hedgehog? Mr R@t?

Anyone know?

I keep seeing Claire and Jacky, Piers, Matt Wilson and occasionally
Rupert. Matt has a two-year-old kid.

--
JohnM

Alex Buell

May 10, 2006, 2:54:33 PM5/10/06
On Wed, 10 May 2006 19:51:02 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from JohnM:

> Mr R@t?

He hangs out in another newsgroup, the name of which I've forgotten as
I read a lot of newsgroups, so he's still alive and kicking.

--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Take a nap, it saves lives.

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 10, 2006, 8:18:24 PM5/10/06
JohnM <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Dr Bob and Tigger?

Living in rural Oxfordshire and still know how to party last I heard.
Still in same email addresses should you wish to contact.

What about Juppy?

JohnM

May 11, 2006, 9:05:50 PM5/11/06
In article <gfcaj3-...@emgee.demon.co.uk>, mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk
writes

Hm... No idea.

I met Piers of Milk fame tonight - if you know him - and he crossed the
Atlantic last year with a boat he bought in FL. He sold his old boat to
Rupert of this parish..

--
JohnM

Message has been deleted

Tristán White

May 12, 2006, 9:47:48 AM5/12/06
LX. <Alex.PC@the_club.invalid> wrote in

> On Fri, 12 May 2006 02:05:50 +0100, JohnM
> <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> i think we all got old and had babies and stuff.....
>
> Alex "DJ LX" pka DJ ThatIS

Hey LX! You once sent me a mixtape, years and years ago, probably around
the time we were organising the PLUR party. It was excellent!

loobyloo

May 12, 2006, 11:13:04 AM5/12/06

Blimey. I thought having children was a bit of a pact with the devil of
ordinary society :)

I still wonder about Juppy too. Was he the disabled one in a wheelchair,
or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? Anyway, the person I'm
trying to think of was a lovely bloke, and I wonder what he's up to
nowadays.

--
loobyloo
Flat 978, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://loobynet.com/

Ken Bruce, commentating on the 1997 Eurovision Song Contest

loobyloo

May 12, 2006, 11:14:11 AM5/12/06

Talking about mix tapes, I've got one off Orange Peel, which still gets the
occasional run out.

Eeeh...and I've still got all my teeth. Er, actually, that's not true.
But I am wearing slippers.

Alex Buell

May 12, 2006, 12:35:49 PM5/12/06
On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:14:11 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from loobyloo:

> > Hey LX! You once sent me a mixtape, years and years ago, probably
> > around the time we were organising the PLUR party. It was excellent!
>
> Talking about mix tapes, I've got one off Orange Peel, which still
> gets the occasional run out.

I had one off Dark Angel. It was brilliant but I've somehow mislaid it
somewhere. :(

Nick Leverton

May 12, 2006, 3:45:26 PM5/12/06
In article <20060512173549.4a...@munted.org.uk>,

Alex Buell <alex....@munted.org.uk> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:14:11 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
>magically appeared from loobyloo:
>>
>> Talking about mix tapes, I've got one off Orange Peel, which still
>> gets the occasional run out.
>
>I had one off Dark Angel. It was brilliant but I've somehow mislaid it
>somewhere. :(

Be careful what you ask for! I dunno if Barclay's also about to pop up,
but if not then I used to be an official distributor for him :-) Mail me
your postal address and I'm sure he won't mind if I do you another one -
I gave him the masters back a little while ago, but (if I can find them
after four house moves) I've got good quality copies I can dupe.

Failing that there's always the ones in the car but they're getting a
bit faint now due to lots of playing :)

Nick

Nick Leverton

May 12, 2006, 4:04:45 PM5/12/06
In article <JuL2uZAW...@scroll.demon.co.uk>,

JohnM <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Dr Bob and Tigger? Daf? Ghostfire? Hedgehog? Mr R@t?

Ratty's in a secret location but if you read squ*tj**c* you might be
able to work out his current handle from posting styles !

I get occasional updates about Hedgie via hatty - we had a good night
out with him here in Nottingham (quite a while ago now admittedly!),
but last I heard he moved to Brummagen and settled down.

Nick

Alex Buell

May 12, 2006, 5:05:09 PM5/12/06
On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:45:26 +0000 (UTC), I waved a wand and this
message magically appeared from Nick Leverton:

> >I had one off Dark Angel. It was brilliant but I've somehow mislaid
> >it somewhere. :(
>
> Be careful what you ask for! I dunno if Barclay's also about to pop
> up, but if not then I used to be an official distributor for
> him :-) Mail me your postal address and I'm sure he won't mind if I
> do you another one - I gave him the masters back a little while ago,
> but (if I can find them after four house moves) I've got good quality
> copies I can dupe.

Coo! Could you digitise onto CD media? If so that'd be quite nice to
have. Thanks. I'll fire off an private e-mail to you.

Mr R@t (2.30zi)

May 12, 2006, 5:18:25 PM5/12/06
"Nick Leverton" <ni...@leverton.org> wrote in message

> In article <JuL2uZAW...@scroll.demon.co.uk>,
> JohnM <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>Dr Bob and Tigger? Daf? Ghostfire? Hedgehog? Mr R@t?
>
> Ratty's in a secret location but if you read squ*tj**c* you might be
> able to work out his current handle from posting styles !

I'm still around - from 2002 to early 2006 worked in a place where Usenet
was blocked and have only recently been back on there. (You got SJ and
Partyvibe mixed up BTW, a forgiveable mistake at the moment as a lot of SJ
users have been on recently since their server was playing up)

I can only read Usenet when within range of my BT connection at the moment
(I know I can get other NNTP servers but I only read umr, uk.rec.cycling and
uk.rec.sheds so can't be arsed to pay for a feed!)

Alex (all 3 of us back on here now!)

--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

JohnM

May 15, 2006, 5:34:24 PM5/15/06
In article <qt2dnYUrgLg...@bt.com>, Mr R@t (2.30zi)
<ratsn...@sovtel.su> writes

Oh, wave, wave...

BTW what do you mean you worked in a place where USENET was blocked? You
mean you don't have a home connection?

--
JohnM

Bart

May 16, 2006, 12:57:20 PM5/16/06
JohnM wrote:
> Dr Bob and Tigger?

happily residing in their rural retreat as Mike says. not often seen on
a dancefloor these days but i do catch up with them once or twice a
year.

>Daf?

turned semi-pro with the ol' club photography last i heard. think i
last saw him at one of Ting's Proactive nights. next one's at Turnmills
this very Saturday btw!

http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/london/turnmills/2006/may/20/event-40725

>Ghostfire?

still trade sporadic emails with him but we haven't met up for a year
or so.

loobyloo wrote:
>I still wonder about Juppy too. Was he the disabled one in a wheelchair,
>or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? Anyway, the person I'm
>trying to think of was a lovely bloke, and I wonder what he's up to
>nowadays.

he was, you're not, he certainly was, and so do i! been many years
since i heard from him.

Bart

JohnM

May 16, 2006, 4:58:06 PM5/16/06
In article <1147798640.8...@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, Bart
<bart...@hotmail.com> writes

>turned semi-pro with the ol' club photography last i heard. think i
>last saw him at one of Ting's Proactive nights. next one's at Turnmills
>this very Saturday btw!
>
>http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/london/turnmills/2006/may/20/event-40725

Oh, Andy Farley... Is Ting! still@Purple Turtle or whatever it's called
these days?

>>Ghostfire?
>
>still trade sporadic emails with him but we haven't met up for a year
>or so.

Is he burnt out? No more happy hardcore?

--
JohnM

Tristán White

May 16, 2006, 10:39:32 PM5/16/06
JohnM <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> In article <1147798640.8...@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, Bart
> <bart...@hotmail.com> writes
>>turned semi-pro with the ol' club photography last i heard. think i
>>last saw him at one of Ting's Proactive nights. next one's at Turnmills
>>this very Saturday btw!
>>
>>http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/london/turnmills/2006/may/20/event-40725
>>

> Oh, Andy Farley... Is Ting! still@Purple Turtle or whatever it's called
> these days?

*ting* is now The Ting.... http://www.theting.net/

Also info here: http://www.nuenergy.co.uk/new/artists/agencyDJ.php?id=41

She was doing a lot of stuff with the Torture Garden but haven't seen her
name on recent TG flyers.

Alex Buell

May 17, 2006, 5:21:08 AM5/17/06
On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:39:32 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from Trist_n White:

> She was doing a lot of stuff with the Torture Garden but haven't seen
> her name on recent TG flyers.

Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?

Tristán White

May 17, 2006, 10:37:15 AM5/17/06
Alex Buell <alex....@munted.org.uk> wrote in

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:39:32 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
> magically appeared from Trist_n White:
>
>> She was doing a lot of stuff with the Torture Garden but haven't seen
>> her name on recent TG flyers.
>
> Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?

Don't know! I bet she chose a very strange name though if she did. :-)

Ding-a-ling or something. :-))

Last I heard was she was doing "stage shows" at Atomic Energy parties, but
that was well over a year ago. But I've had a look at
http://www.atomicenergy.co.uk and can't see her listed as one of the
residents any more.

In fact, looking back at their old flyers, the last one to mention her was
http://www.atomicenergy.co.uk/ITAI%20Flyer%20Middle.htm

Bart

May 17, 2006, 12:36:46 PM5/17/06
JohnM wrote:
> Oh, Andy Farley... Is Ting!

he is? i mean, she is? ;)

> still@Purple Turtle or whatever it's called these days?

don't think so but she's keeping busy - whenever i get flyered for
hardhouse clubs her name always crops up a few times.

> >>Ghostfire?
> >
> >still trade sporadic emails with him but we haven't met up for a year
> >or so.
>
> Is he burnt out? No more happy hardcore?

i think he goes to house clubs occasionally but my more recent attempts
via email to get him to join me raving have failed. he is often
overseas though which is a fair excuse. :)

btw the hardcore scene dropped the "happy" bit some years ago, marking
a definite change for the worse! (imho)

Alex Buell wrote:
> [Ting]

> Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?

a few years back she was seeing me so i hope not!! ;)

Tristán White wrote:
>*ting* is now The Ting.... http://www.theting.net/

still got them asterisks though, they're very important!

>She was doing a lot of stuff with the Torture Garden but haven't seen
>her name on recent TG flyers.

looks like she's playing the next TG afterparty in Southwark though.

Bart

Alex Buell

May 17, 2006, 5:59:10 PM5/17/06
On 17 May 2006 09:36:46 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from Bart:

> Alex Buell wrote:
> > [Ting]
> > Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?
>
> a few years back she was seeing me so i hope not!! ;)

It was just something I'd heard from someone in the scene ages ago.
Wonder if she'd log on and scotch that?

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 18, 2006, 7:55:59 AM5/18/06
Bart <bart...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> loobyloo wrote:
>>I still wonder about Juppy too. Was he the disabled one in a wheelchair,
>>or am I getting him mixed up with someone else? Anyway, the person I'm
>>trying to think of was a lovely bloke, and I wonder what he's up to
>>nowadays.
>
> he was, you're not, he certainly was, and so do i! been many years
> since i heard from him.

His demon account appears to still be active so I've just sent him an
email telling him about this thread and asking how he is.

Message has been deleted

Tristán White

May 18, 2006, 12:46:41 PM5/18/06
Alex. <P...@home.invalid> wrote in

> On Fri, 12 May 2006 08:47:48 -0500, "Tristán White"

> cheers mate, do you still have it???? I lost everything LX ever did...
> which tape was it? I'd die again for a copy of "mana" or "angelx" -
> angelx was my wedding proposal told in music....

I certainly will have it somewhere, but it was on cassette and I haven't
used cassettes for a few years now, I'm not even sure where I keep them
all. I'd have to look in the attic I think.

mye...@operamail.com

May 23, 2006, 12:49:26 PM5/23/06
JohnM wrote:
> Hedgehog?

Went back to the UK Garage (then grime) scene and never looked back. I
saw him at Eskimo Dance early this year. Someone else told me he's been
stabbed or shot but that's unconfirmed.

JohnM

May 23, 2006, 7:29:59 PM5/23/06
In article <1148402966.4...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mye...@operamail.com writes

Bloody hell! Don't just say that. Is he at least alive?

--
JohnM

Alex Buell

May 23, 2006, 8:14:23 PM5/23/06
On Wed, 24 May 2006 00:29:59 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from JohnM:

> >Went back to the UK Garage (then grime) scene and never looked back.
> >I saw him at Eskimo Dance early this year. Someone else told me he's
> >been stabbed or shot but that's unconfirmed.
> >

> Bloody hell! Don't just say that. Is he at least alive?

Obviously he must be, if there's been no reports of his death!

LDMA

May 25, 2006, 1:05:15 AM5/25/06

Not sure if anyone misses me but have fond memories of meeting a number
of you, most notably at PLUR and PLUR II. Anyway hi to Tristan, Nick L
and anyone else who ever saw me post on UMR back in the day. I also had
a little post Evil Mark II's bizarre blog the other day.

I'm still in Thailand, I've now got a daughter who's nearly a year old,
and I'm still partial to the odd slice of Acid Tekno, and Traaaance,
but rarely get on a dancefloor these days...in fact I haven't for about
5 years.

I'm now running a sucessful Teaching in Thailand forum
http://ajarnforum.net and trying to cobble enough money together to buy
some and and build a house on it.

PLURPS to all

Louis Da Alien (LDMA)
http://myspace.com/ldma

Bart

May 25, 2006, 1:59:50 PM5/25/06
LDMA wrote:
> I'm still in Thailand, I've now got a daughter who's nearly a year old,
> and I'm still partial to the odd slice of Acid Tekno, and Traaaance,
> but rarely get on a dancefloor these days...in fact I haven't for about
> 5 years.

i assume this is why you dropped the "Munted" from your name. :)

> I'm now running a sucessful Teaching in Thailand forum
> http://ajarnforum.net and trying to cobble enough money together to buy

> some [l]and and build a house on it.

sounds pretty cool, mate, and congrats on the daughter thing! :) good
to hear from ya again.

Bart

PS is anyone still in contact with Hedgie? Nick?!

Message has been deleted

Tristán White

May 26, 2006, 7:42:27 AM5/26/06
Hiiii Louis!

Last time I bumped into you was at Glastonbury. I think you'd gone for a
piss beside the dragon (right beside my tent, LOL!)

Which one was that? 1999? 2000?

Tristán White

May 26, 2006, 7:51:07 AM5/26/06
sam ende <s...@sende.co.uk> wrote in news:4dmc7dF...@individual.net:

> Bart wrote:
>

>> PS is anyone still in contact with Hedgie? Nick?!
>

> not as far as i know, not heard from him in ages :(
>
> sammi

What was his real name? Perhaps an Internet search will show something up,
I haven't seen him since that UMR trip to Amsterdam which *ting* organised,
where we saw Hedgehog and Niall/Orange Peel and a couple of others play in
that club.

Oh, we were talking about *ting* the other day - well a friend let me know
she's at Freeformation next month, 23 June to be exact, it'll be the last
free event at Hidden in Vauxhall, and Zoe'll be doing a special back-to-
back hard dance set with Kevin Energy. I'll be there. :-)

Message has been deleted

phil

May 26, 2006, 6:07:40 PM5/26/06
Bart wrote:
>Alex Buell wrote:
>> [Ting]
>> Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?
>
>a few years back she was seeing me so i hope not!! ;)

p.

phil

May 26, 2006, 6:22:32 PM5/26/06
Tristan White wrote:

sam ende <s...@sende.co.uk> wrote:
>> Bart wrote:
>>> PS is anyone still in contact with Hedgie? Nick?!
>> not as far as i know, not heard from him in ages :(
>
>What was his real name? Perhaps an Internet search will show something up,

I'm not going to mention his name since he never does online but if
it's any comfort, a google search doesn't turn up any stories about
stabbings or shootings.

p.

Tristán White

May 26, 2006, 6:35:48 PM5/26/06
sam ende <s...@sende.co.uk> wrote in news:4dopjkF...@individual.net:

> i'm so jealous :), we're going to that shamania. we haven't done any
> london nites for a long long time, i'll have to have a word with
> himself about that perhaps :)

Ooo no, go to Shamania, it's a one-off! There'll be plenty more Hiddens
with *ting* and Kevin Energy no doubt, this is simply the last "free" one!

Shamania sounds an absolute hoot!! And going to a festival when it's in its
infancy is something very special. I still regret never going to the first
Big Chill when all my mates went!

phil

May 26, 2006, 6:37:44 PM5/26/06
A man with many pockets wrote:

>JohnM <j...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dr Bob and Tigger?
>

>Living in rural Oxfordshire and still know how to party last I heard.

Know how to, just don't seem to get around to it much. :)

>What about Juppy?

What about Rob Smith? I heard a rumour he'd become a people trafficker
in Central America.

p.

Tristán White

May 26, 2006, 8:35:22 PM5/26/06
"phil" <ph...@drbob.co.uk> wrote in news:1148683064.657200.132660
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

No, that was Orange Peel. Rob Smith became a stripper in Moscow.

mye...@operamail.com

May 27, 2006, 10:32:17 AM5/27/06

LOLZ I never knew there were so many badman on this board, people
traffickers, strippers, ppl getting shot at raves haha, No, seriously
Hedge is OK, yeah a few bad things have happened to him recently and
yeah some of them have left him scarred but that's life in the endz
innit, it's his own fault in many wayz but I u didn't hear me say that
get me? :-) I wouldn't normally post to a board like this as I have no
interest in these clubs u guys talk about (Hedge once mentioned sumfing
about sum internet rave he was involved in years back, which is how I
found out about here and why I asked about him on here ages ago), we
met at a mixed UKG/jungle rave years bak and still meet up regular, dat
manz big get me. Anywayz he's been ill alot since 2004, doesn't get out
as much as he's like 2 because of dat but is involved in the grime
scene and old skool garage scene and like a lot of women he's nothing
but trouble! haha! think he flipped a bit when he dumped one of his gal
dem a coupla years bak, still talks about her but u don't want 2 get
with Hedge these days girls trust me, I saw him throw one gal out of
his car last year when he was done!! maybe that's why he got done over
haha, no all jokes aside I kno what it was all about, but it's probably
best I don't say nothing because there will were reprisals.
He's just got a new fone after losing it a while back which is why it's
taken a while 2 get in touch. He says he won't never post here again as
he's embarassed about the past and the tings he did when with u lot and
wants 2 put it behind him, he's much happier now he's gon back 2 his
musical roots and anywayz he's not called Hedge now either but I'm not
telling u what he's called hahah anywayz respect yeah I'm gone.

Tristán White

May 27, 2006, 12:07:38 PM5/27/06
mye...@operamail.com wrote in news:1148740337.199893.27650
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Thankz :-))

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 27, 2006, 4:29:34 PM5/27/06

Was going to buy tickets and noticed that the camp site is only
available until 8am Sunday morning which seems like the time to go to
bed not have got up and gone home. They seem very stuffy about people in
living vehicles too and I just got a big shiny new (well new to me)one
to play in this summer.

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 27, 2006, 4:38:41 PM5/27/06

Following up myself just tried to contact them to ask about the above
and the contact form on their webpage doesn't work anyone got an email
address for them?

Tristán White

May 27, 2006, 5:30:57 PM5/27/06
<mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:hvpmk3-...@emgee.demon.co.uk:

I can't see on their website that you have to leave campsite at 8 a.m. on
Sunday morning!

In fact, you can stay on after Monday, if you pay the landowner, it
appears!

Quote:
"Visitors must leave the site by 12 noon on Monday 24th July; unless they
wish to pay the Landowner, Ł5 per night for additional camping."

Tristán White

May 27, 2006, 5:34:32 PM5/27/06
"Tristán White" <Trista...@rocketmail.com> wrote in

> they wish to pay the Landowner, £5 per night for additional camping."

OK I've found the bit where they talk about the site only being open
until 8 a.m. but it completely contradicts the bit about staying on
after Monday, so very strange.

Looks as though they won't be too bothered.

Also looks as though camper vans under 3.5 tonnes are allowed as long as
you clear it first.

phil

May 27, 2006, 5:46:18 PM5/27/06

Try war...@shamania.com.

Phil
(who's not sure if it's appropriate to classify handfastings as a
workshop)

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 29, 2006, 8:17:27 PM5/29/06

Cheers will give it a go in the morning.

> Phil
> (who's not sure if it's appropriate to classify handfastings as a
> workshop)

I'm sure there's joke about the nature of "marriage" to be made here but
I'm far too tired to think of it.

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 29, 2006, 8:13:04 PM5/29/06
"Trist?n White" <Trista...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> OK I've found the bit where they talk about the site only being open
> until 8 a.m. but it completely contradicts the bit about staying on
> after Monday, so very strange.
>
> Looks as though they won't be too bothered.

When you go to buy a ticket you have to agree to leave by Sunday morning
as part of the terms and conditions. Call me cynical but rather imagine
it'll be more like farmer comes round collecting cash from those too
munted to move than not too bothered.

> Also looks as though camper vans under 3.5 tonnes are allowed as long as
> you clear it first.

Which was the problem :( Mine isn't less than 3.5 tonnes. Trying to use
their web contact form to clear it anyway then failed.

Bart

May 30, 2006, 7:51:53 AM5/30/06

at least your dictionary was spared this time. :)

seriously though, i don't see Ting very often but it's probably at
least every 9 months or so, and she didn't mention any Tinglets when we
were texting a few weeks back.

Bart

Bart

May 30, 2006, 8:01:16 AM5/30/06
Tristán White wrote:

> Ooo no, go to Shamania, it's a one-off! There'll be plenty more Hiddens
> with *ting* and Kevin Energy no doubt, this is simply the last "free" one!

presumably they'll be renaming Freeformation as "Formation" then. ;)
...music policy in one room will still be Freeform (the genre formerly
known as Trancecore) and Hardcore though, of course.

don't forget to prebook your place(s) well in advance, anyone that's
going, and expect it to be rammed.

http://www.nuenergy.co.uk/new/nec/newsDetail.php?id=1111

B)

Alex Buell

May 30, 2006, 3:52:03 PM5/30/06
On 30 May 2006 04:51:53 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared:

> at least your dictionary was spared this time. :)
>
> seriously though, i don't see Ting very often but it's probably at
> least every 9 months or so, and she didn't mention any Tinglets when
> we were texting a few weeks back.

I must have misheard, or it was a false rumour! I did actually meet
Ting once at a mate's party a long time ago. Spun some pretty fucking
brilliant choons.

Dooza

May 30, 2006, 5:31:12 PM5/30/06
you know that she has changed her name officially to Ding-A-Ling dont
you?

Dooza

May 30, 2006, 6:06:34 PM5/30/06
If you want to contact Barclay and get any of his new CDs, just pop
along to www.darkangel.dj, its got all his contact details.

Its great to see so many of you about still. I have been lurking around
these parts until my isp stopped running a news server, I just cant get
into Google Groups, but I will try, I always preferred the old
fashioned news reader.

I have just bought my first house and am getting married in August. I
am still into my lighting, and will be doing the Orgin Stage and Sancho
Panza tent at the Glade this year, along with a festy called Till The
Cows Come Home. Any know of this one? I dont know much about this one,
but they sound like nice enough people to work with.

I think I may stay and see what happens to umr if I can.

Take it easy!

Dooza
www.dooza.tv

phil

May 30, 2006, 6:29:31 PM5/30/06
Dooza wrote:
> you know that she has changed her name officially to Ding-A-Ling dont
> you?

You're getting mixed up with Lab 4, Steve. Les and Adam have been
surgically joined at the hair and have changed their (joint) name to
Dingaling R. Witchdoctor by deed poll.

HTH,
Phil

Alex Buell

May 30, 2006, 6:43:59 PM5/30/06
On 30 May 2006 15:06:34 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared:

> I think I may stay and see what happens to umr if I can.

If you want a usenet feed, let me know, I might be able to sort you out.

Brownz (mobile)

May 30, 2006, 7:30:18 PM5/30/06

Probably had them put to work in marketing already 'ticle ;-)

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Tristán White

May 30, 2006, 7:42:00 PM5/30/06
"Bart" <bart...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Either I'm very stupid, or I don't understand something about that.

<QUOTE>
The only way to secure a 100% free guaranteed door entry is to send your
full name and email address to 07962928623 or freeformation (at)
nuenergy.co.uk. All names will be added to the door list and then
contacted 7 days priory to the event and asked to confirm their door
number. No confirmed door number, no entry till after 12 pm!
</QUOTE>

I don't understand:
(a) how I would know the door number 7 days PRIOR (or priory ;-) ) to
the event????

and
(b) if no door number, you can't get in until after 12pm. Well that's 12
noon, and the event finishes at 6 a.m. So I assume that either this is
a cheeky way of saying "you won't be able to get in until the venue
closes), or it's a typo for 12 a.m.

If it's a typo, then I can't see why that would be a problem - I would
never go to a club before 12 a.m. anyway - the pubs are still open. :-)

So if someone could translate for me that very ambigious bit of
information, I'd appreciate it!

Tristán White

May 30, 2006, 7:43:34 PM5/30/06
"phil" <ph...@drbob.co.uk> wrote in news:1149028171.285669.184890
@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

LOL !!!!

Yes, I did know she has changed her name to Ding-A-Ling. And apparently it
says so on her drivers' license, I believe.

Does it say Ting Ding-A-Ling or Zoe Ding-A-Ling or just Ding-A-Ling....???

phil

May 30, 2006, 8:27:38 PM5/30/06
Tristán White wrote:

> Yes, I did know she has changed her name to Ding-A-Ling. And apparently it
> says so on her drivers' license, I believe.
>
> Does it say Ting Ding-A-Ling or Zoe Ding-A-Ling or just Ding-A-Ling....???

I believe it says "Avin' it laaaaaaaaaaarge!!!!!" in fluoro pink marker
pen and the rest is illegible.

Seriously though, have they really let Ting have a driver's license?

p.

Bart

May 31, 2006, 6:14:54 AM5/31/06
Tristán White wrote:
> "Bart" <bart...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > http://www.nuenergy.co.uk/new/nec/newsDetail.php?id=1111
>
> Either I'm very stupid, or I don't understand something about that.
>
> <QUOTE>
> The only way to secure a 100% free guaranteed door entry is to send your
> full name and email address to 07962928623 or freeformation (at)
> nuenergy.co.uk. All names will be added to the door list and then
> contacted 7 days priory to the event and asked to confirm their door
> number. No confirmed door number, no entry till after 12 pm!
> </QUOTE>

it's not the clearest piece of writing ever, is it? basically you have
to contact them to book your place(s) and then (critically) they reply
with your door number(s). in the week before the event you have to
confirm your place. as an incentive to get you to do that, if you don't
confirm you won't get in until after midnight.

obviously they're gonna want to make sure that everyone on their list
is gonna be attending - either because they want to make sure they're
gonna get a viable number through the door to get enough bar takings to
keep the venue happy or because they don't want to keep spaces reserved
for people who don't turn up whilst denying places to others that will.
in the case of Freeformation it'll be the latter i think - likely to be
pushing cap on the venue (650).

> If it's a typo, then I can't see why that would be a problem - I would
> never go to a club before 12 a.m. anyway - the pubs are still open. :-)

but clubs sell booze too and they have bangin' choonz to boot...?!

hmm, i wonder if they start letting in people without bookings after
midnight? best to check when you book if your place is guaranteed.

Bart

Bart

May 31, 2006, 6:21:29 AM5/31/06
Dooza wrote:
> Its great to see so many of you about still. I have been lurking around
> these parts until my isp stopped running a news server, I just cant get
> into Google Groups, but I will try, I always preferred the old
> fashioned news reader.

i'm using GG too. awful innit?

*waits for post to get censored*

> am still into my lighting, and will be doing the Orgin Stage and Sancho
> Panza tent at the Glade this year,

kewl, look fwd to seeing you (and Barcs) there!

B)

Bart

May 31, 2006, 6:44:50 AM5/31/06
Brownz (mobile) wrote:

> Bart wrote:
> > seriously though, i don't see Ting very often but it's probably at
> > least every 9 months or so, and she didn't mention any Tinglets when
> > we were texting a few weeks back.
>
> Probably had them put to work in marketing already 'ticle ;-)

yay Brownz! long time, buddy. :) hearty RULPs all round.

i think the real question here is: what would Ting name her kids? her
name is now Ting-A-Ling so is A-Ling her surname? could we expect issue
named Bing, King, Ming, Ping, etc...?

B)

Alex Buell

May 31, 2006, 7:03:03 AM5/31/06
On 31 May 2006 03:44:50 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared:

> i think the real question here is: what would Ting name her kids? her

> name is now Ting-A-Ling so is A-Ling her surname? could we expect
> issue named Bing, King, Ming, Ping, etc...?

You left out "Ding", and "Wing"!

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

May 31, 2006, 6:44:26 AM5/31/06

Is this some sort of Chuck Berry tribute?

Message has been deleted

Tristán White

May 31, 2006, 4:51:14 PM5/31/06

> On 31 May 2006 03:44:50 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
> magically appeared:
>
>> i think the real question here is: what would Ting name her kids? her
>> name is now Ting-A-Ling so is A-Ling her surname? could we expect
>> issue named Bing, King, Ming, Ping, etc...?
>
> You left out "Ding", and "Wing"!

Is there an echo in here?

;-)

Tristán White wrote:

> Alex Buell <alex.bu...@munted.org.uk> wrote in
>

>> On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:39:32 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
>> magically appeared from Tristán White:
>
>>> She was doing a lot of stuff with the Torture Garden but haven't seen
>>> her name on recent TG flyers.

>> Didn't she pop a sprog a few years back?

Don't know! I bet she chose a very strange name though if she did. :-)

Ding-a-ling or something. :-))

Dooza

Jun 1, 2006, 4:26:35 AM6/1/06

Hi Phil,
I am sure that it is Ting as well, I bumped into her at the DMC World
Finals last year, but it wasnt her who told me, I am sure it was
someone from these parts that I bumped into whilst clubbing. Hang on,
no I got it wrong, its Ting A Ling that she has changed it to, not Ding
A Ling. Or maybe not, my memory isn't very clear now :(

Dooza
www.dooza.tv

Dooza

Jun 1, 2006, 4:27:28 AM6/1/06
Alex Buell wrote:
> On 30 May 2006 15:06:34 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
> magically appeared:
>
> > I think I may stay and see what happens to umr if I can.
>
> If you want a usenet feed, let me know, I might be able to sort you out.

Hi Alex,
That would be very cool if you could, Google doesnt do it for me :)

Dooza
www.dooza.tv

Dooza

Jun 1, 2006, 4:29:56 AM6/1/06
Bart wrote:
> Dooza wrote:
> > Its great to see so many of you about still. I have been lurking around
> > these parts until my isp stopped running a news server, I just cant get
> > into Google Groups, but I will try, I always preferred the old
> > fashioned news reader.
>
> i'm using GG too. awful innit?
>
> *waits for post to get censored*

yay it got thru :)

> > am still into my lighting, and will be doing the Orgin Stage and Sancho
> > Panza tent at the Glade this year,
>
> kewl, look fwd to seeing you (and Barcs) there!

excellent, i would try and find you, but its probably a safer bet if
you try and find me in the Sancho Panza house tent, in one of the
lighting towers.

Dooza
www.dooza.tv

phil

Jun 1, 2006, 6:10:50 AM6/1/06
Dooza wrote:
> phil wrote:
> > Dooza wrote:
> > > you know that she has changed her name officially to Ding-A-Ling dont
> > > you?
> >
> > You're getting mixed up with Lab 4, Steve. Les and Adam have been
> > surgically joined at the hair and have changed their (joint) name to
> > Dingaling R. Witchdoctor by deed poll.
>
> I am sure that it is Ting as well, I bumped into her at the DMC World
> Finals last year, but it wasnt her who told me, I am sure it was
> someone from these parts that I bumped into whilst clubbing. Hang on,
> no I got it wrong, its Ting A Ling that she has changed it to, not Ding
> A Ling. Or maybe not, my memory isn't very clear now :(

It's definitely Ting A Ling ... but is "A" her middle initial and if
so, what does it stand for? Probably Avinitlaaaaarge!!! :)

p.

Bart

Jun 1, 2006, 6:18:28 AM6/1/06
Dooza wrote:

> Bart wrote:
> >
> > i'm using GG too. awful innit?
> >
> > *waits for post to get censored*
>
> yay it got thru :)

yeah, but if a Google Groups user writes a post bad-mouthing the
service they probably automatically set it to x-no-archive = yes. (just
kidding, i hope!)

> excellent, i would try and find you, but its probably a safer bet if
> you try and find me in the Sancho Panza house tent,

sounds good. am well into my house these days anyways - even buying a
little new stuff, not just old skool classics as you might expect from
me. :)

> in one of the lighting towers.

eeek. will bring a hardhat and safety harness. :)

Dooza wrote:
> Hang on, no I got it wrong, its Ting A Ling that she has changed it

> to, not Ding A Ling.[...]

yup, definitely Ting A Ling.

B)

Bart

Jun 1, 2006, 6:32:30 AM6/1/06
[dingalingtings]

Alex Buell wrote:
> > i think the real question here is: what would Ting name her kids? her
> > name is now Ting-A-Ling so is A-Ling her surname? could we expect
> > issue named Bing, King, Ming, Ping, etc...?
>
> You left out "Ding", and "Wing"!

but that would be silly. :)

phil wrote:
> You're getting mixed up with Lab 4, Steve. Les and Adam have been

> surgically joined at the hair [...]

...and are consequently being sued by Jeff Noon's publishers for breach
of copyright.

Bart

phil

Jun 1, 2006, 8:48:51 AM6/1/06
Bart wrote:
> phil wrote:
> > You're getting mixed up with Lab 4, Steve. Les and Adam have been
> > surgically joined at the hair [...]
>
> ...and are consequently being sued by Jeff Noon's publishers for breach
> of copyright.

I'm sure he's a very nice man who can be convinced to consider it "fair
use" in return for a few promo CDs.

So, anybody read any good books recently?

I'm in the middle of reading Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtenay
Grimwood at the moment which is well up to the high standard of his
other books and also partly features Marrakech which is cool as we were
there a couple of months ago.

While on holiday, I read The Zenith Angle by Bruce Sterling. I've got
the greatest respect for Mr Sterling's writing but TZA is a steaming
pile of poo that should never have seen the light of day. Avoid.

I've also got a shelfful of Neal Stephenson to read as well. It's only
one book, mind.

Phil

Geoff Winkless

Jun 1, 2006, 9:09:08 AM6/1/06
Dooza wrote:

> Its great to see so many of you about still.

Hi Steve!

I remember sending you a mix CD when you were organising one of the
rooms at PLUR2 (?). Looking back I'd only been playing about 6 months
and it was pretty poor - no real structure and some nazzzty mixes. I do
remember you were very kind about it though :)

For the last few years I've been playing a mish-mash of funky house, big
beat and breaks; of recent months the DJing's taken a back seat to poker
though :)

Geoff

Bart

Jun 1, 2006, 1:15:54 PM6/1/06
phil wrote:
> So, anybody read any good books recently?
>
> I've also got a shelfful of Neal Stephenson to read as well. It's only
> one book, mind.

lol! i've been putting off getting volumes 2 & 3 of his Baroque Cycle
until they get some RSJ's fitted downstairs.

i'm liking Alastair Reynolds' work - proper hard sci-fi with some great
ideas. most of his novels are set in the same (outer space) setting but
his most recent paperback - Century Rain - was a standalone story and
partly set in 1950's Paris. all well worth checking out.

also a big fan of Richard Morgan, been reading him since his first book
came out in 2002. Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies are
all set around the same main character (a sort of special agent gone
freelance). the first book is really like a hardboiled detective story
set in the future on the backwater planet Earth while the other two
read a bit more like military sci-fi / cyberpunk and take place on
colony planets. some cool settings and great action throughout. avoid
his (unrelated) Market Forces though.

have also been enjoying the Straw Men series of (so far) three
contemporary thrillers by Michael Marshall. you might remember him from
Only Forward, Spares and/or One Of Us, all written under the name
Michael Marshall Smith (i remember buying some of those for some of
you!). he decided to use a different name for writing non-sci-fi.

those are the three current authors whose new books i've been buying
(over the past few years) as soon as they're available in paperback.
otherwise i've mostly been catching up on some old skool cyberpunk and
finally getting around to reading some Peter F Hamilton - his
standalone Fallen Dragon was excellent, military sci-fi again with a
sergeant working in the armed forces division of a megacorporation to
reclaim assets by force from a colony world. the novel has a series of
flashbacks to his childhood and earlier missions and also sees the
local guerrilla resistance cell come up with some really twisted
tricks!

oh, and i've also just randomly read Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
(a Booker Prize nomination - how mainstream! (for me)). a quirky tale
set in present-day Tokyo - great plot though and some beautiful
writing. often likened to Haruki Murakami if you've come across him.

B)

Alex Buell

Jun 1, 2006, 2:50:43 PM6/1/06
On 1 Jun 2006 10:15:54 -0700, I waved a wand and this message magically
appeared from Bart:

> the novel has a series of flashbacks to his childhood and earlier
> missions and also sees the local guerrilla resistance cell come up
> with some really twisted tricks!

Indeed, the one where all his blood gets drained was pretty cool.

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

Jun 1, 2006, 7:00:24 PM6/1/06
phil <ph...@drbob.co.uk> wrote:

> So, anybody read any good books recently?

Been a bit busy but found "Spiritual Midwifery" (it's better than the
title) and "Birth Rights Handbook" very useful. For the sci-fi I rather
liked Ursula Le Guins "The Telling". In fact all her recent Hainish
novels have been good. Stuff that reads well and makes you think.
I suspect her "Changing Planes" might be to the taste of some here not
sure if it's made paperback yet.

Brownz (mobile)

Jun 1, 2006, 7:20:05 PM6/1/06
Alex Buell wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2006 10:15:54 -0700, I waved a wand and this message
> magically appeared from Bart:
>
>> the novel has a series of flashbacks to his childhood and earlier
>> missions and also sees the local guerrilla resistance cell come up
>> with some really twisted tricks!
>
> Indeed, the one where all his blood gets drained was pretty cool.

Sounds cool, I don't really find enough time to read these days.
I loved Mr Bank's sci fi books, and his alter ego's fiction, but thats as
about as far as I got.
I find myself these days, when I'm home, engrossed by asian extreme cinema,
french cinema, and airport novels, thanks to the job !
There has to be more to life.....

U n d e r a c h i e v e r

Jun 1, 2006, 6:55:02 PM6/1/06
On 1/6/06 13:48, in article
1149166131.8...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com, "phil"
<ph...@drbob.co.uk> wrote:

> So, anybody read any good books recently?

Just put down Decca Aintkinson's "Travels in search of the Perfect E" :)

The last Iain M Banks was a blinder....

--
takem...@rocketmail.com
U n d e r a c h i e v e r

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Alex Buell

Jun 2, 2006, 11:43:35 AM6/2/06
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:55:02 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
magically appeared from U n d e r a c h i e v e r:

> The last Iain M Banks was a blinder....

The Algebracist? Got that on my bed awaiting return to the library.
A pretty good read, but not up to his usual high standards.

Tristán White

Jun 3, 2006, 9:38:05 AM6/3/06
U n d e r a c h i e v e r <takem...@rocketmail.com> wrote in

> On 1/6/06 13:48, in article
> 1149166131.8...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com, "phil"
> <ph...@drbob.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> So, anybody read any good books recently?
>
> Just put down Decca Aintkinson's "Travels in search of the Perfect E"
> :)

Cool

Found it on Amazon
http://snipurl.com/rag8

The reviews are good. Starting a new job which requires 3 hours on the tube
every day, so will be good to get into reading novels again.

JohnM

Jun 3, 2006, 5:26:01 PM6/3/06
In article <1149182154.1...@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Bart
<bart...@hotmail.com> writes

>lol! i've been putting off getting volumes 2 & 3 of his Baroque Cycle
>until they get some RSJ's fitted downstairs.

You, too?
--
JohnM

JohnM

Jun 3, 2006, 5:25:35 PM6/3/06
In article <1149166131.8...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, phil
<ph...@drbob.co.uk> writes

>I've also got a shelfful of Neal Stephenson to read as well. It's only
>one book, mind.

Haha, you know there's a trilogy finished?
--
JohnM

JohnM

Jun 3, 2006, 5:27:43 PM6/3/06
In article <Xns97D7945564111Tr...@216.196.109.145>,
Tristán White <Trista...@rocketmail.com> writes

Tristan and the rest, I am disappointed in you! No one here has read MY
books? As in the .Sig?

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &

Tristán White

Jun 4, 2006, 11:24:07 AM6/4/06

> In article <Xns97D7945564111Tr...@216.196.109.145>,
> Tristán White <Trista...@rocketmail.com> writes
>>U n d e r a c h i e v e r <takem...@rocketmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> On 1/6/06 13:48, in article
>>> 1149166131.8...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com, "phil"

>>> Just put down Decca Aintkinson's "Travels in search of the Perfect
>>> E"
>>> :)
>>

>>Cool
>>
>>Found it on Amazon
>>http://snipurl.com/rag8
>>
>>The reviews are good. Starting a new job which requires 3 hours on the
>>tube every day, so will be good to get into reading novels again.
>
> Tristan and the rest, I am disappointed in you! No one here has read
> MY books? As in the .Sig?

ooo I rarely check Sigs, but thanks!! I may well do!

Dooza

Jun 4, 2006, 6:23:28 PM6/4/06

Hi Geoff,
Yes I do remember you, I think I still have that CD around here
somewhere, but can't honestly remember what it was like. Your welcome
to send me a new one ;)

Steve
www.dooza.tv

Bart

Jun 5, 2006, 9:25:26 AM6/5/06
JohnM wrote:
> Tristan and the rest, I am disappointed in you! No one here has read MY
> books? As in the .Sig?
>
> Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &
> Rainbow Diary: A Journey in the New South Africa

ooh you've done another one!! cool!

i did buy Brazil but was appalled to discover it wasn't the
behind-the-scenes exposé of the classic 1985 Terry Gilliam movie i was
expecting. ;)

afraid i haven't got around to reading it yet - i have quite a backlog
of books to read and generally deprioritise anything that isn't of the
"robots and spaceships" genre... feel free to try to trick me into
thinking it's all about a brave army of samba-ing cyborgs battling the
oppressive lambadabot regime in the favelas of near-future Rio! hey,
that sounds cool. there's your next book right there. :)

Bart

JohnM

Jun 5, 2006, 3:39:51 PM6/5/06
In article <1149513926.7...@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Bart
<bart...@hotmail.com> writes

No, but there's a lot about clubbing :-) The .za book has a credit to
emjay of this parish and his mate Martin the manager of Club 330 in
Durban.

Plus I explain why the pills in .za are the best (this is also what
Decca Aitkenhead independently found). I quote a section from the Truth
and Reconciliation Commission hearings: the South African apartheid
security police had asked their Chemical Weapons division to manufacture
one ton of ecstasy. Which they did. And then they lost. Nuff said.

--
JohnM

Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &
Rainbow Diary: A Journey in the New South Africa

http://www.scroll.demon.co.uk/spaver.htm

phil

Jun 5, 2006, 4:25:52 PM6/5/06
JohnM wrote:
> phil wrote

> >I've also got a shelfful of Neal Stephenson to read as well. It's only
> >one book, mind.
>
> Haha, you know there's a trilogy finished?

I do, I'm just looking for a 3000 page hole in my life to read it.

p.

phil

Jun 5, 2006, 4:29:42 PM6/5/06

JohnM wrote:

> Tristan and the rest, I am disappointed in you! No one here has read MY
> books? As in the .Sig?

I've been waiting for that post for three days. <g>

p.

mi...@emgee.demon.co.uk

Jun 5, 2006, 6:11:14 PM6/5/06
JohnM <jo...@n00.spam.scroll.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Plus I explain why the pills in .za are the best (this is also what
> Decca Aitkenhead independently found). I quote a section from the Truth
> and Reconciliation Commission hearings: the South African apartheid
> security police had asked their Chemical Weapons division to manufacture
> one ton of ecstasy. Which they did. And then they lost. Nuff said.

Nice story but a ton of MDMA is only about a million pills at the doses
usually recommended in the literature. Wouldn't last long in .uk but
perhaps there are a lot less users in .za?

Bart

Jun 6, 2006, 7:58:21 AM6/6/06
JohnM wrote:
[Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul]

> No, but there's a lot about clubbing :-)

okay, i like clubbing. :)

> The .za book has a credit to emjay of this parish and
> his mate Martin the manager of Club 330 in Durban.

cool, have got a 3-30 mix CD that Emjay gave me ages ago. think i've
got a copy of a Martin mixtape too.

> [...] the South African apartheid security police had asked

> their Chemical Weapons division to manufacture one ton
> of ecstasy. Which they did. And then they lost. Nuff said.

heh. what were they making it for? crowd control at riots? i have
visions of police rounding up rioters like sheep and then administering
one pill each - like giving a tablet to a dog or cat, having to hold
down as many limbs as possible and stroke their throat to make them
swallow. lol!

Bart

Bart

Jun 6, 2006, 8:11:00 AM6/6/06
Alex Buell wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:55:02 +0100, I waved a wand and this message
> magically appeared from U n d e r a c h i e v e r:
>
> > The last Iain M Banks was a blinder....
>
> The Algebracist? Got that on my bed awaiting return to the library.
> A pretty good read, but not up to his usual high standards.

yeah, i'd go along with that - not as good as the Culture novels. my
fave is still 'Against a Dark Background' though.

Bart

Alex Buell

Jun 6, 2006, 5:55:56 PM6/6/06
On 6 Jun 2006 04:58:21 -0700, I waved a wand and this message magically
appeared from Bart:

> > [...] the South African apartheid security police had asked
> > their Chemical Weapons division to manufacture one ton
> > of ecstasy. Which they did. And then they lost. Nuff said.
>
> heh. what were they making it for? crowd control at riots? i have
> visions of police rounding up rioters like sheep and then
> administering one pill each - like giving a tablet to a dog or cat,
> having to hold down as many limbs as possible and stroke their throat
> to make them swallow. lol!

Wish they'd do that here, an aerosol spray used on a hostile crowd
might work wonders!

JohnM

Jun 6, 2006, 7:17:14 PM6/6/06
In article <1149595101.9...@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Bart
<bart...@hotmail.com> writes

>JohnM wrote:
>[Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul]
>> No, but there's a lot about clubbing :-)
>
>okay, i like clubbing. :)
>
>> The .za book has a credit to emjay of this parish and
>> his mate Martin the manager of Club 330 in Durban.
>
>cool, have got a 3-30 mix CD that Emjay gave me ages ago. think i've
>got a copy of a Martin mixtape too.

That's more than I have!

>> [...] the South African apartheid security police had asked
>> their Chemical Weapons division to manufacture one ton
>> of ecstasy. Which they did. And then they lost. Nuff said.

[9 June 1998, the Truth and Reconciliation Committee of South Africa,
Chemical and Biological Warfare (CBW) hearings, under the Chairmanship
of Mr Ntsebeza, who is referred to as 'chairperson' in the minutes
(their PC not mine). For the state: Mr Vally and Mr Pandera.
Interventions noted in the text are from Professor Haysom representing
the Department of Foreign Affairs in order not to proliferate
information about the synthesis of dangerous chemicals. These are parts
of the transcripts of that day.].

MR VALLY: Doctor Koekemoer, what was your occupation prior to joining
Delta G?
DR KOEKEMOER: Prior to joining Delta G, I was Professor of Organic
Chemistry at the Rand Afrikaans University. I have a BSc in Chemistry,
MSc in Organic Chemistry and also a DSc in Organic Chemistry.
MR VALLY: How did you come to join Delta G?
DR KOEKEMOER: I was recruited by Doctor G L Lourens who was, early in
1986, head of the Research Unit at Delta G Scientific. I had worked with
him previously at a private company and I also knew him as a student.
MR VALLY: Did you know what Delta G was?
DR KOEKEMOER: I was informed that, when I joined Delta G in April 1986,
that we would be developing an analytical capability, defensive
analytical capability, towards Chemical Warfare Agents and that we would
be doing some work on potential...[indistinct]
MR VALLY: Were you aware that it was a military front company?
DR KOEKEMOER: Yes, I was aware. I only actually became aware at a later
stage when I was asked to sign a document relating to the Official
Secrets Act.
MR VALLY: What was your function at Delta G?
DR KOEKEMOER: I started in April 1986 as a Chief Researcher and at that
stage I reported to Doctor Lourens who was the head of my
department.[...]
MR VALLY: What was the nature of your daily interaction with Doctor
Philip Mijburgh when he was the Managing Director?
DR KOEKEMOER: Well, Doctor Mijburgh was Managing Director of Delta G
Scientific initially and then when Medchem Consolidated Investments - I
don't know the history of Medchem, but when Medchem Consolidated
Investments was established in 1990, he became Chairman of this group
but he still retained what he called being Chief Executive Officer of
Delta G Scientific. And we, I, did my research work and we reported this
to Doctor Basson in his presence normally and at a certain stage, I
believe it was in 1990 about May, I was asked to develop a pyrethroid
synergist and this was apparently a prelude to making MDMA
Hydrochloride, developing a process for making MDMA Hydrochloride for
them.
MR VALLY: Who was this who requested it?
DR KOEKEMOER: This was Doctor Mijburgh that requested this.
MR VALLY: Now let's just understand what the MDMA analogue is.
DR KOEKEMOER: Well MDMA Hydrochloride is commonly known as Ecstasy. I
was relatively reluctant to develop Ecstasy for him for the simple
reason that it's a drug One-Schedule in the United States and a drug of
abuse, but he insisted upon this. [..]I then went back and eventually
developed quite a novel process for making MDMA Hydrochloride. This was
implemented on a plant scale, and it was very high purity, it was 99.5
percent-plus pure material and it was delivered by myself over a period
from 4 February 1992 to about 5 January 1993 to Doctor Mijburgh's
offices at Henopsmeer - that is Medchem Consolidated Investments.[...]
MR VALLY: Do you know what happened to this? First of all, what quantity
of Ecstasy was delivered by you in this period between 4 February 1992
and 5 February 1993?
DR KOEKEMOER: 5 January 1993.
MR VALLY: 5 January, I beg your pardon.
DR KOEKEMOER: I believe it was about 912 kilograms.
MR VALLY: Do you know what happened to the - sorry, in what form did you
deliver this?
DR KOEKEMOER: This was delivered in pure crystalline form, white
crystalline form. It was not in encapsulated form at all. It was pure
white crystalline material packed in white drums that could contain
about 12 kilos at a time.
MR VALLY: And how did you deliver this?
DR KOEKEMOER: I delivered it by car, because they insisted that we keep
a high confidentiality about this project, so they didn't want other
people involved. Except in one case, where we had quite a lot - I think
it was about 200 kilograms - where I used transport: a bakkie from Delta
G; and at that stage I think that Mr Philip Mouton helped me to
transport the material there and pack it into a sub-basement store.

>heh. what were they making it for? crowd control at riots? i have
>visions of police rounding up rioters like sheep and then administering
>one pill each - like giving a tablet to a dog or cat, having to hold
>down as many limbs as possible and stroke their throat to make them
>swallow. lol!

This is exactly what they homed in especially since they also did
research on Mandrax " to neutralise the potential for rebellion amongst
youth" read below.

MR VALLY: Have you seen any studies or any projections by anyone
involved regarding the possible usage of Mandrax as an indirect control
mechanism by introducing it into certain areas which were possibly prone
to political uprisings so as to create addiction to it?
DR KOEKEMOER: No, I was never given that impression and I doubt whether
one can get addicted to Ecstasy, not as far as I know.
MR VALLY: I'm talking about Mandrax.
DR KOEKEMOER: About Mandrax, no.
MR VALLY: You haven't seen any studies or documentation in that regard?
DR KOEKEMOER: No, sir no I haven't.
MR VALLY: Have you ever studied the literature on the issue?
DR KOEKEMOER: No, I have studied things like Mandrax and the analysis of
that because that was part and parcel of our Incos Data System, and we
had permits to keep small quantities of Mandrax for analytical purposes
and for this purpose we, I, obtained quite a number of publications by
the relevant authorities that analysed these sort drugs of abuse. I've
got these papers in my possession, but I haven't seen any studies that
relate to the other things you referred to now.
MR VALLY: Is there an issue of concern to you, as a chemist? The
possibility that such an addictive drug, which is allegedly been
responsible for fuelling a lot of the crime in this country, which has
enslaved so many of our youth, was possibly produced in laboratories
where you were head of research?
DR KOEKEMOER: It does concern me, although as I said, I didn't know
about large scale production of Mandrax. It did concern me that we
produced such a large quantity of ecstasy and following the newspaper
reports and so on afterwards, in hindsight, I could say it concerns me
more now.
MR VALLY: The thinking prevalent in terms of being involved in a secret
project in chemical and biological warfare programmes etc, within the
parameters of that kind of total onslaught mentality - and I'm basing it
on your experiences within Delta G and discussion there - is it possible
that people who were in senior positions would consider using Mandrax on
a large scale so as to neutralise the potential for rebellion amongst
youth?
DR KOEKEMOER: No discussion has ever arisen in my presence which led to
the premise that Mandrax for example would be used to calm crowds or
anything like that, no.
MR VALLY: Well I'm not talking so much about calming crowds as much as
introducing it as a potentially recreational drug and thereby creating
addiction?
DR KOEKEMOER: It would have gone against my grain. I don't like drug
abuse, and I would not have approved of it in the first place. And
secondly, it was never discussed in those terms in my presence, no.

BTW
The head of the chemical and biological project Dr. Wouter Basson (Dr
Death) was actually caught in possession of I can't remember how much
ecstacy and was indicted with 67 charges, which were listed on a
270-page indictment. In 2002 he was found innocent of all charges :-)

So my book is more interesting than you think :-) and YOU Phil !!!!!!!

phil

Jun 7, 2006, 3:03:49 AM6/7/06
JohnM wrote:

> So my book is more interesting than you think :-) and YOU Phil !!!!!!!

I didn't say it wasn't interesting, just that you're an inveterate
self-promoter! :-p

p.

JohnM

Jun 7, 2006, 3:18:20 PM6/7/06
In article <1149663829.4...@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, phil
<ph...@drbob.co.uk> writes

Yeah, like I used to DJ all these gigs and advertised them here :-PP
--
JohnM

U n d e r a c h i e v e r

Jun 9, 2006, 9:03:55 AM6/9/06
On 3/6/06 14:38, in article
Xns97D7945564111Tr...@216.196.109.145, "Tristán White"
<Trista...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Found it on Amazon
> http://snipurl.com/rag8

Don't bother; I'll lend you my copy

--
takem...@rocketmail.com

U n d e r a c h i e v e r

Tristán White

Jun 9, 2006, 5:58:50 PM6/9/06

> On 3/6/06 14:38, in article
> Xns97D7945564111Tr...@216.196.109.145, "Tristán White"
> <Trista...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Found it on Amazon
>> http://snipurl.com/rag8
>
> Don't bother; I'll lend you my copy

Ta!

LDMA

Jun 29, 2006, 2:49:57 AM6/29/06
I definitely remember bumping into Glasto that year...must've been
1999, as I was in the dragon field that year....yeah the munted bit has
been dropped from my name but the lads on the teachers forum have found
out about it and enjoy taking the piss out if it.

browni...@googlemail.com

Aug 4, 2020, 8:42:07 AM8/4/20
On Wednesday, May 10, 2006 at 7:51:02 PM UTC+1, JohnM wrote:
> Dr Bob and Tigger? Daf? Ghostfire? Hedgehog? Mr R@t?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> I keep seeing Claire and Jacky, Piers, Matt Wilson and occasionally
> Rupert. Matt has a two-year-old kid.
>
> --
> JohnM

Roll Call....... are we all still alive ?
It is loading more messages.