Anyone remember Jon Isherwood?

Jonathan Isherwood

Jun 28, 2003, 7:05:55 AM6/28/03
My dad, Jon Isherwood, used to play the folk clubs in the sixties and
seventies and regularly appeared on TV and radio and also recorded a
couple of LPs. He toured most of the UK circuit and sometimes played
in Malta and Jersey.

The problem is, most of his life is accounted as legend. He was not
very good at keeping things, so over the years all that are left are a
few photos/programmes and the LPs themselves (albeit in a poor state!)

I have therefore set up a website in his honour,
http://www.jon-isherwood.com

Within the site, I have included a "Memories" section, and this is
where I need your help. If anyone has any stories or memories, I'd
love to include them, however small. In fact, anything related to him
would be great.

Best regards,
Jon

Jason Hill

Jun 28, 2003, 8:44:06 AM6/28/03
Yes, I remember Jon Isherwood!

I started performing in folk clubs in Portsmouth in the 1960s, and the
two giants of the local folk scene then were Pat Nelson and Jon
Isherwood. Jon ran clubs at the Talbot in Goldsmith Avenue and at the
Oasis in North End.

I'll search my own fading memory for some reminiscences of Jon.

In article <e3eed649.03062...@posting.google.com>, Jonathan
Isherwood <jonathan_...@hotmail.com> writes

--
Jason Hill

Jonathan Isherwood

Jul 2, 2003, 9:37:46 AM7/2/03
Thanks Jason, that would be great. I didnt know abouth the Oasis at
North End, so I will add that to the biography I am putting together.
The Talbot was a club he'd often mention though. He told me of the
many stars he bought there- Tom Paxton, Julie Felix and Paul Simon
(whom he booked for £5).

Jason Hill

Jul 2, 2003, 2:40:56 PM7/2/03
In article <e3eed649.03070...@posting.google.com>, Jonathan
Isherwood <jonathan_...@hotmail.com> writes

Paul Simon did indeed appear at the Talbot. However, Tom Paxton
appeared at the Oasis. I remember the evening well: Tom sang his own
songs all night, but for his final encore sang the old rugby song "The
Dogs They Held a Party". Other visiting Americans put on by Jon were
Carolyn Hester (Talbot), Sandy & Jeanie (Talbot), Doc Watson & Ralph
Rinzler (Oasis), Mike Seeger (Oasis).

By the way, £5 was the standard fee for guest artists at that time. You
had to be a real big hot shot to get £10. Tom Paxton cost the
unbelievable price (for the time) of £25.

--
Jason Hill

Julian Flood

Jul 2, 2003, 4:04:18 PM7/2/03

"Jonathan Isherwood" > wrote

Look, I realise this is off topic but I can't resist: the mention of Pompey
pubs brings back my youth. When I was a bus conductor in Portsmouth (don't
ask) a mate came into the Eastney depot in hysterics. He'd been collecting
fares when a large and blonde lady had fixed him with an eagle eye, wiggled
in her seat and said 'Fawcett Inn, love.'

I'll get me coat.

SWMBO swears she remembers a pub called The Queen's Legs. I reckon
this must be a Victorian vulgar joke.

Sort of OT Manfred Man in the Osbourne Rooms doing blues. Paul Jones is
still at it and he hasn't changed. I bet he's got a portrait in the attic.

JF

Andrew Davidson

Jul 2, 2003, 8:57:55 PM7/2/03
"Julian Flood" <j...@floodsclimbers.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jonathan Isherwood" > wrote
>
> > Thanks Jason, that would be great. I didnt know abouth the Oasis at
> > North End, so I will add that to the biography I am putting together.
> > The Talbot was a club he'd often mention though. He told me of the
> > many stars he bought there- Tom Paxton, Julie Felix and Paul Simon
> > (whom he booked for £5).
>
> Look, I realise this is off topic but I can't resist: the mention of Pompey
> pubs brings back my youth. When I was a bus conductor in Portsmouth (don't
> ask) a mate came into the Eastney depot in hysterics. He'd been collecting
> fares when a large and blonde lady had fixed him with an eagle eye, wiggled
> in her seat and said 'Fawcett Inn, love.'
>
> I'll get me coat.
>
> SWMBO swears she remembers a pub called The Queen's Legs. I reckon
> this must be a Victorian vulgar joke.

Definitely OT but, it was said of Charles II that "The Kings Head" was empty but
"The Kings Arms" were always full.

Oi'll get me coat as well.....

--
Andrew Davidson

Kevin Sheils

Jul 3, 2003, 12:11:11 PM7/3/03
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:40:56 +0100, Jason Hill
<Ja...@burslem.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Paul Simon did indeed appear at the Talbot. However, Tom Paxton
>appeared at the Oasis. I remember the evening well: Tom sang his own
>songs all night, but for his final encore sang the old rugby song "The
>Dogs They Held a Party". Other visiting Americans put on by Jon were
>Carolyn Hester (Talbot), Sandy & Jeanie (Talbot), Doc Watson & Ralph
>Rinzler (Oasis), Mike Seeger (Oasis).

Jeannie of Sandy & Jeannie is of course still touring here from time
to time as part of Bayou Seco

Kevin Sheils

Jonathan Isherwood

Jul 5, 2003, 4:35:26 AM7/5/03
What a memory Jason. I think maybe my Dads had perhaps faded a bit
over the years but remembering the songs sung by Tom Paxton nearly
forty years on is pretty stunning.

Funny you should also mention Carolyn Hester. The other day, my Mum
found this signed copy of a Ticket for a performance at Oddfellows
Hall, Kingston Road:

http://www.isherwoods.plus.com/isherwood/jpegs/carolynhester.jpg

Jason Hill

Jul 6, 2003, 7:29:27 AM7/6/03
In article <e3eed649.03070...@posting.google.com>, Jonathan
Isherwood <jonathan_...@hotmail.com> writes
>What a memory Jason. I think maybe my Dads had perhaps faded a bit
>over the years but remembering the songs sung by Tom Paxton nearly
>forty years on is pretty stunning.

I may be able to remember what Tom Paxton sung 40 years ago, but I don't
think I could remember what I sang last week. That's what happens to
memory as you get old.
--
Jason Hill

barry....@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2014, 5:37:13 PM11/19/14
I knew your father really well and have hundreds of memories of him - sadly not many photos as they were thrown away by a jealous boyfriend! My email is mazw...@hotmail.com if you want to get in touch with me.

barry....@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2014, 5:45:50 PM11/19/14
On Saturday, June 28, 2003 12:05:55 PM UTC+1, Jonathan Isherwood wrote:
Name: Mary Wills (nee Barnes) email mazw...@hotmail.com
Jon's girlfriend in 1960+ and I tried to keep him out of trouble for years afterwards (not very successfully!). Last saw him in 1978 I think) just before I moved to Ireland.

Bill

Nov 19, 2014, 6:20:00 PM11/19/14

Enda...@aol.com

May 7, 2015, 5:53:17 PM5/7/15
Yes I remember Jon and was so sad to hear of his death but not surprised due to his drinking. ( I am not being a health judge about how he lived his life ) I believe he died in Ireland though lived most of his life in Portsmouth. As a teenager I "fell in love" with his brother who was an alter boy at St Johns. I also remember his sister who I think was a nurse? Jon was married at St Johns Cathedral in Portsmouth the wedding before my sister. My dad played the organ for both weddings.

My main memories of him singing in the folk clubs was his humour but also with him singing with Pat Nelson. They were a wonderful match. Pat sadly also long gone. I spoke to Pat shortly before he died as he knew my husband had died of cancer as he knew would too.

It was a great folk era. My husband was Barry Walker who often sang with John Saunders, others were Barry Roberts who now has dementia and Barry Gordon. Anyone remember them?

johncroc...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2015, 7:37:43 AM6/8/15
I was a student at Portsmouth College of Technology from 1966 to 1967.
Jon was a regular performer a the College folk club which was at The Star in Lake Road. Pat Nelson was often with him. I have just found the programme for a concert held at Portsmouth Guildhall on the 18th Jan 1969. Jon and Pat were on along with the Cumberland Echoes and the Strawbs. Diz Disley was the MC. Jon was an amusing likeable character. I am sorry to hear that both Jon and Pat are no longer with us.
Message has been deleted

norma.ap...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2018, 12:14:06 PM1/8/18

norma.ap...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2018, 12:17:42 PM1/8/18

labrado...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 3:34:05 PM3/12/18

spelle...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2018, 7:51:16 AM7/7/18
When I was a callow youthI trained as a Post Office counter clerk in Pompey and saw Jon one night -can't remember the pub vut he performed his spoof of the Cat Stevens hit but changed to 'I'm being followed by a brown hatter" Great!

Dave Royal

Jul 7, 2018, 1:16:10 PM7/7/18
Many people on Mudcat remember him:
http://tinyurl.com/ydhuybjo
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)

marten...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2018, 5:54:18 PM7/11/18
I remember Jon from the fantastic Sunday nights at South Parade Piers Coral Reef Bar, we always used to sit down to the right of the stage, great entertainment I seem to remember a engagement party at the Fawcett Inn to Toni if I remember rightly, anyway happy memories

solent...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2018, 6:42:42 PM11/1/18

solent...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2018, 6:48:25 PM11/1/18

theh...@msn.com

Nov 2, 2018, 4:19:39 PM11/2/18
I remember seeing him perform at The Cobb Arms Lyme Regis in the 70s great fun

farca...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2019, 3:50:18 PM12/8/19
I remember him playing a small flute up his nose! And performing at Southwick in a pink rabbit costume for some reason.

johnres...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2020, 9:45:20 AM4/22/20
I was at school with Jon, we were both at the Northern Grammar school in Portsmouth in the 1950s. He always played his harmonica at break times. I remember our very first music lesson when the music master Mr Bert Bradshaw asked if any of us played a musical instrument
Jon said that he played a bit of piano and the harmonica. Mr Bradshaw looked down his nose and said "l do not consider the harmonica a musical instrument."Jon was then argued that as the harmonica had a full musical scale then it was indeed a musical instrument. As l remember they argued for some time before Mr Bradshaw lost his temper and roared at Jon to be quiet. After I left school I followed Jon's folk singing career until I moved to the North of England
I later heard that he had passed away in Ireland where I now live. I hope that you find this story of interest and I wish you all the best. John Restall.

David and Margaret Whittall

Aug 28, 2022, 6:37:49 AM8/28/22
I think he also ran a club at the Cobden Arms pub.