Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Heads-up for a new trio in the South...

5 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Molly Mockford

não lida,
24 de set. de 2009, 21:44:3924/09/2009
para
Tonight at my local folk club (the Royal Oak in Lewes) we had the
incredibly brilliant Michael Marra. Words fail me in describing how
highly I think of his songwriting, and his performance of those songs;
so I will (for once!) not attempt to describe what I cannot. Just be
sad that you weren't there. He is very, very special.

But you would think that nothing could get better than a wonderful
evening with Mick Marra; and so I would have thought. But tonight was
also the debut floor-spot of a newly-formed trio, all of them talented
and experienced performers, but newly come together: the long-time duo
consisting of fiddler Ben Paley (son of Tom Paley and Claudia Gould) and
guitarist Tab Hunter, plus extra added singer Laura Hockenhull (the
north country maid who down to Sussex has strayed). Ben and Tab are a
most excellent duo, but the addition of Laura, with her beautiful voice
and superb delivery and interpretation, lifts and brightens and
highlights the men's voices and instruments; and they in turn raise
their game (as if anything had seemed to be lacking!) in response. They
just *mesh*: as a combination, they are quite simply jaw-droppingly
magic.

Only once before have I seen the club crying "Book them! Book them!"
after such a floor spot. That was when two young men by the names of
John Spiers and Jon Boden played a blinder of a floor spot, and picked
up their first two professional bookings then and there (we have two,
totally co-operative and non-competitive, folk clubs in Lewes, and both
organisers homed in on them like hornets).

So, this new and as-yet-unnamed trio (I suggested BLT, but Laura's dad
had apparently suggested The Paleyontologists, which I reckon is superb)
are to be watched out for, without a doubt. Go listen to them, whenever
you get the chance! Book them now, before everybody else does! (No, I
don't have contact details; I'm an enthusiast, not an agent. Club
organisers are supposed to be detectives, aren't they? Ask Vic Smith!)
--
Molly Mockford
deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

0 nova mensagem