Richard Robinson's Web TuneBook

Richard Robinson

Mar 29, 2009, 11:26:07 AM3/29/09

Having just received another email about this, I suppose it's time to save
some people some worry.

My web collection, late of www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk appears to
have stopped working. It's not the fault of any individual's setup, as a few
people have asked, it's something that has been done at the server end. The
site just no longer responds, to anyone.

Nor does the account I used to have there. Nor, so far, have the admins
when I mail & ask them what's up.

So, I can hope to be wrong, (and it would be rather a shame, just a few
months short of its 15th anniversary), but the best guess would be that
"Richard Robinson's TuneBook" is dead. Long Live TuneBook Live!
<URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>

It's not ready for prime time, of _course_. But at least it's there, it has
all the tunes that were on the previous site and many more besides, and I
have root on it.

I have no way on earth of contacting all the people who might look for the
old one, so I'd be grateful if people could pass this on as appropriate.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Peter Thomas

Mar 29, 2009, 1:30:04 PM3/29/09
In message <49cf930f$0$513$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>, Richard Robinson
<rich...@privacy.net> writes

>"Richard Robinson's TuneBook" is dead. Long Live TuneBook Live!
><URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>

Thanks for letting us know, and for doing all you do.

Now can I remember who I told about the old version?

--
Peter Thomas

Michael Bell

Mar 30, 2009, 2:09:24 AM3/30/09
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Having just received another email about this, I suppose it's time to save
> some people some worry.

> My web collection, late of www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk appears to
> have stopped working. It's not the fault of any individual's setup, as a few
> people have asked, it's something that has been done at the server end. The
> site just no longer responds, to anyone.

> Nor does the account I used to have there. Nor, so far, have the admins
> when I mail & ask them what's up.

> So, I can hope to be wrong, (and it would be rather a shame, just a few
> months short of its 15th anniversary), but the best guess would be that
> "Richard Robinson's TuneBook" is dead. Long Live TuneBook Live!
> <URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>

> It's not ready for prime time, of _course_. But at least it's there, it has
> all the tunes that were on the previous site and many more besides, and I
> have root on it.

> I have no way on earth of contacting all the people who might look for the
> old one, so I'd be grateful if people could pass this on as appropriate.

I've sent this on to my lot: Concertina players. But isn't there a
better way of doing this sort of thing?

Does somebody like EDS keep a list of such sites?

What about a webring such as you get in some other interest groups?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webring

and http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/aburnham/ring/

Michael Bell

Peter Thomas

Mar 30, 2009, 5:02:20 AM3/30/09
In message <e9b9ff4350....@michael.beaverbell.co.uk>, Michael
Bell <mic...@beaverbell.co.uk> writes

>> Long Live TuneBook Live!
>> <URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>

>> I have no way on earth of contacting all the people who might look for the
>> old one, so I'd be grateful if people could pass this on as appropriate.
>
>I've sent this on to my lot: Concertina players. But isn't there a
>better way of doing this sort of thing?
>
>Does somebody like EDS keep a list of such sites?
>
>What about a webring such as you get in some other interest groups?
>
>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webring
>
>and http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/aburnham/ring/

About 4,900 google hits for the old tune book.

Some tune sources mentioned below - started off as email to members of
Morris side:

Paste this ABC format into an ABC programme or website.
I use ABC Navigator downloaded from
http://abcnavigator.free.fr/abcnvgt.php?lang=eng

"and

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php is on online ABC converter

See also Chris Walshaw's site http://www.abcnotation.org.uk/ and
http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm#notes

Tune sources include <rummages in Bookmarks>:

http://www.abcnotation.org.uk/ as above has list of collections

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/tunebook.html - Richard
Robinson's Tunebook

http://www.lesession.co.uk/music/index.htm - indexes other collections

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

and Google comes in handy. That should be enough for a start."

so what did I miss?

from Google

"The Folk Music Ring
The Folk Music Ring is for web sites containing folk music material;
articles, audio, video, etc. This web ring is intended for all ages. ...
u.webring.com/hub?ring=folk - 31k - Cached - Similar pages -

Folk Music Web Ring
www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=folk&list"

like to take the research further?

--
Peter Thomas

Richard Robinson

Mar 30, 2009, 6:32:45 AM3/30/09
Michael Bell said:

> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> "Richard Robinson's TuneBook" is dead. Long Live TuneBook Live!
>> <URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>
>
>> It's not ready for prime time, of _course_. But at least it's there, it has
>> all the tunes that were on the previous site and many more besides, and I
>> have root on it.
>
>> I have no way on earth of contacting all the people who might look for the
>> old one, so I'd be grateful if people could pass this on as appropriate.
>
> I've sent this on to my lot: Concertina players. But isn't there a

thanks

> better way of doing this sort of thing?
>
> Does somebody like EDS keep a list of such sites?

Seems to me that knowing what lists it might have been included on is much
the same problem as knowing what individuals might have bookmarked it. ie
it's for them to know, and for me to not be able to begin to guess.

Better or worse, there's a pleasing symmetry to this. This is how I told the
world about it in the first place, by dropping a remark into the newsgroup I
was subscribed to. From there, it found its way into all these lists and
other links (and then all these johhny-come-lately gadgets, search-engines
and stuff. So maybe the process still works, maybe people still tell each
other things. This is, after all, an oral/aural tradition ...

> What about a webring such as you get in some other interest groups?
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webring
>
> and http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/aburnham/ring/

I'm sorry, I don't quite see the relevance of this. Do you mean, it might be
a good idea if someone set up something like that for this kind of material
? Or am I missing something more specific ?

Richard Robinson

Mar 30, 2009, 10:49:59 AM3/30/09
Peter Thomas said:
> In message <49cf930f$0$513$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>, Richard Robinson
><rich...@privacy.net> writes

>>"Richard Robinson's TuneBook" is dead. Long Live TuneBook Live!
>><URL:http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk>
>>

> Thanks for letting us know, and for doing all you do.

Thanks for the appreciation.

> Now can I remember who I told about the old version?

Yes, quite ...

Wendy Cutler

Jan 26, 2022, 4:43:49 PM1/26/22
I had a non-working link on a page I keep, just did a query and got to
http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/
Presumably that's the same. It makes me wonder when there has been no reply to this since 2009.
+*+
Wendy Cutler
Vancouver, Canada

Richard Robinson

Jan 27, 2022, 8:18:58 AM1/27/22
(Thanks, Nick)

Wendy Cutler said:
> I had a non-working link on a page I keep, just did a query and got to
> http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/
> Presumably that's the same.

It is.

> It makes me wonder when there has been no reply to this since 2009.

Looks like no-one had anything to say about it ?

Oh dear, that wasn't a good idea, and I'd forgotten about it.
'qualmograph' is just my vanity domain - I think it may have been a
stopgap while I wasn't able to register 'tunebok', which is just for
this purpose. So the 'qualmograph' link won't come back, sorry about
that.

Now I'm reminded, I remember I gave it a few alternative names; I had to
change hosting a while back and, as I say, I'd forgotten about them. I
never really saw anyone using the others, so I think I'll just stick
with the original. If I can forget about it, it's too complicated. And
anyway, it's not 'live' any more, I've reverted it to a read-only site.

I'm currently in the process of reorganising it. Of course. It'll be
perfect this time, honest ...

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jan 27, 2022, 9:54:30 AM1/27/22
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 07:18:52, Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>(Thanks, Nick)
>
>Wendy Cutler said:
>> I had a non-working link on a page I keep, just did a query and got to
>> http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/
[]
>Oh dear, that wasn't a good idea, and I'd forgotten about it.
>'qualmograph' is just my vanity domain - I think it may have been a
>stopgap while I wasn't able to register 'tunebok', which is just for

Or even 'tunebook' (-:
[]
>I'm currently in the process of reorganising it. Of course. It'll be
>perfect this time, honest ...

It looks very useful as it is: the only thing I could think of to
improve it would be the addition of MIDI files for those of us a lot
less competent at reading music (or who are blind), but I realise that
would be a huge effort.

By the way, your .sig (after the lovely Lem quote!) said:

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

I emailed you using the one at the foot of one of the tunebook pages -
hope that's the same.

"Get off my turf!" screamed Pooh, as he shot at Paddington.