This old chart from 1983 is not my rival

Chris Brown

Oct 14, 2018, 8:10:20 AM10/14/18
35 years ago this week, Shostakovich is about to have his first hit
single, and it's the Top 100 debut of an act whose singer later became
much more famous for doing something else.
Also in this chart are two groups formed by the drummers of earlier
chart-topping acts, one band named after their drummer and one fronted
by their drummer. There's also a single produced by Geoff Emerick who
died recently.
I did have to make an educated guess which Bauhaus EP this was.

Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
remastered version that was only released two days ago.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_

Chart dated 15th October 1983

1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
3. (4) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love
5. (13) Howard Jones New Song
6. (5) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
7. (15) George Benson In Your Eyes
8. (3) UB40 Red Red Wine
9. (10) New Order Blue Monday
10. (8) David Essex Tahiti
11. (29) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
12. (16) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
13. (6) Paul Young Come Back And Stay
14. (7) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My Love
15. (24) Nick Heyward Blue Hat For A Blue Day
16. (31) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
17. (19) The Alarm 68 Guns
18. (12) Kajagoogoo Big Apple
19. (11) Genesis Mama
20. (17) Ryan Paris Dolce Vita
21. (28) Meat Loaf Midnight At The Lost And Found
22. (14) Big Country Chance
23. (18) Monyaka Go Deh Yaka (Go To The Top)
24. (26) Depeche Mode Love In Itself-2
25. (NE) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say
26. (38) David Grant Love Will Find A Way
27. (21) Hot Streak Body Work
28. (33) Freeez Pop Goes My Love
29. (20) Status Quo Ol' Rag Blues
30. (40) Lydia Murdock Superstar
31. (22) Modern Romance Walking In The Rain
32. (27) Unique What I Got Is What You Need
33. (41) Herbie Hancock Autodrive
34. (23) Heaven 17 Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry
35. (42) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
36. (68) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
37. (39) Bucks Fizz London Town
38. (NE) UB40 Please Don't Make Me Cry
39. (25) Soft Cell Soul Inside
40. (NE) Elton John Kiss The Bride
41. (44) Olympic Orchestra Reilly
42. (46) Donna Summer Unconditional Love
43. (NE) Shalamar Over And Over
44. (54) Booker Newberry III Teddy Bear
45. (30) Cliff Richard Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)
46. (32) Toyah Rebel Run
47. (53) Roman Holliday Motor Mania
48. (51) Haywoode A Time Like This
49. (34) Rod Stewart What Am I Gonna Do
50. (37) Hot Chocolate Tears On The Telephone
51. (61) Randy Crawford Nightline
52. (67) Gary Low I Want You
53. (75) Space Monkey Can't Stop Running
54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
55. (36) Madness Wings Of A Dove
56. (35) Level 42 The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up)
57. (NE) Killing Joke Me Or You
58. (90) Leo Sayer Till You Come Back To Me
59. (64) Lotus Eaters You Don't Need Someone New
60. (77) The Kinks You Really Got Me {1983 reissue}
61. (NE) King Kurt Destination Zululand
62. (48) New Order Confusion
63. (43) Men At Work Dr Heckyll And Mr Jive
64. (NE) Curtis Hairston I Want You (All Tonight)
65. (63) Time UK The Cabaret
66. (NE) China Crisis Working With Fire And Steel
67. (91) XTC Love On A Farm Boy's Wages
68. (84) Ashaye Michael Jackson Medley
69. (45) KC And The Sunshine Band Give It Up
70. (62) Herbie Hancock Rockit
71. (79) Divine Love Reaction
72. (69) Tik And Tok Cool Running
73. (55) Rumple-Stilts-Skin I Think I Want To Dance With You
74. (NE) The Kinks Don't Forget To Dance
75. (92) Steve Wright Get Some Therapy
76. (NE) Agnetha Faltskog Can't Shake Loose
77. (60) Chris Rea I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
78. (74) Mary Jane Girls Boys
79. (NE) Seona Dancing Bitter Heart
80. (80) JBs All Stars One Minute Every Hour
81. (NE) O'Chi Brown A Whiter Shade Of Pale
82. (82) Kenny Rogers Eyes That See In The Dark
83. (71) West Street Mob Break Dancin'
84. (78) Shakatak Out Of This World
85. (76) Tom Browne Rockin' Radio
86. (86) The Fixx One Thing Leads To Another
87. (NE) Rondo Veneziano La Serenissima (Theme From 'venice In Peril')
88. (89) One Way Shine On Me
89. (85) Mama's Boys Too Little Of You To Love
90. (NE) Air Supply Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
91. (95) The Moody Blues Sitting At The Wheel
92. (87) Stone City Band Lady's Choice
93. (NE) Frank Stallone Far From Over
94. (88) Bauhaus Six Track (EP)
[Dark Entries; Terror Couple Kill Colonel; Telegram Sam; Terror Couple
Kill Colonel (Version); Rosegarden Funeral of Sores; Crowds]
95. (NE) Gary's Gang Makin' Music
96. (NE) Fat Larry's Band Don't Let It Go To Your Head
97. (NE) Lew Kirton Talk To Me
98. (97) Lords Of The New Church Dance With Me
99. (NE) Naked Eyes Promises Promises
100. (NE) This Mortal Coil 16 Days

James Heaton

Oct 14, 2018, 4:26:19 PM10/14/18
"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 35 years ago this week, Shostakovich is about to have his first hit
> single, and it's the Top 100 debut of an act whose singer later became
> much more famous for doing something else.
> Also in this chart are two groups formed by the drummers of earlier
> chart-topping acts, one band named after their drummer and one fronted by
> their drummer. There's also a single produced by Geoff Emerick who died
> recently.
> I did have to make an educated guess which Bauhaus EP this was.
>
> Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018 remastered
> version that was only released two days ago.
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>
> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>
> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon

Vivid memory of seeing this on tv, and my grandfather turning to my parents
and commenting - you bloody let him watch this?! He was always in trouble
for sweating in front of me. Apparently for some time I was convinced the
tool was called 'buddyscrewdriver' having been asked to 'pass me that bloody
screwdriver our James' more than once. They lived 4hrs drive away, I bet
that was a tough trip home for him after that...

> 2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know

Remember the video, as a train mad little boy how could I not like her after
that... Re-watched it a while ago when it was on ToTP BBC4 and got all the
poignancy of it. A lovely track, even if she couldn't hit the top note.

> 4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love

Probably my favourite Bowie track, which I think puts me into a very very
small minority.

> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday

Huge selling track with various entries across the 80s. Funnily enough been
watching the DVD of Mrs Merton show, he features in the first couple of
series. Great bassist but lacking on vocals, it isn't until the new band
re-record it that I understood all the theme tune lyrics.

> 37. (39) Bucks Fizz London Town

I remember seeing the video for this on a Sat morning tv show I'd been
plonked in front of, weird what we remember from young childhood. Probably
couldn't tell you what I got for Xmas in 1983 but remember that, and
remember getting so mucky on the beach on holiday that I got taken to the
communal showers to clean up, rather than leave a clean up job in our own
static! And the queues for the phones at the caravan site. Kids now, don't
know they're born...

> 40. (NE) Elton John Kiss The Bride

It was somewhere around this time that he did.

> 54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl

Massive track and iconic video. His big retro phase.

> 60. (77) The Kinks You Really Got Me {1983 reissue}

Was this before or after Come Dancing was a big retro style hit?

> 79. (NE) Seona Dancing Bitter Heart

Isn't this the bloke who played David Brent? I know he was in a band with
limited success.

> 96. (NE) Fat Larry's Band Don't Let It Go To Your Head

Don't think this one zooms up the charts...

James

Chris Brown

Oct 14, 2018, 5:47:52 PM10/14/18
On 14/10/2018 21:26, James Heaton wrote:
> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> 35 years ago this week, Shostakovich is about to have his first hit
>> single, and it's the Top 100 debut of an act whose singer later became
>> much more famous for doing something else.
>> Also in this chart are two groups formed by the drummers of earlier
>> chart-topping acts, one band named after their drummer and one fronted
>> by their drummer. There's also a single produced by Geoff Emerick who
>> died recently.
>> I did have to make an educated guess which Bauhaus EP this was.
>>
>> Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
>> remastered version that was only released two days ago.
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>>

>> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>>
>> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
>
> Vivid memory of seeing this on tv, and my grandfather turning to my
> parents and commenting - you bloody let him watch this?!  He was always
> in trouble for sweating in front of me.

If that's not a typo it seems very harsh.

>Apparently for some time I was
> convinced the tool was called 'buddyscrewdriver' having been asked to
> 'pass me that bloody screwdriver our James' more than once.  They lived
> 4hrs drive away, I bet that was a tough trip home for him after that...

Ouch.

>> 2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
>
> Remember the video, as a train mad little boy how could I not like her
> after that...  Re-watched it a while ago when it was on ToTP BBC4 and
> got all the poignancy of it.  A lovely track, even if she couldn't hit
> the top note.

I think that actually helps it.

>> 4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love
>
> Probably my favourite Bowie track, which I think puts me into a very
> very small minority.

I think it does. I like the song a lot but I don't think I could say I
liked it more than Ashes To Ashes, Golden Years or Sound & Vision.

>> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday
>
> Huge selling track with various entries across the 80s.

I think this was the highest position of the original mix.

> Funnily enough
> been watching the DVD of Mrs Merton show, he features in the first
> couple of series.

Until they got divorced, presumably.

>  Great bassist but lacking on vocals, it isn't until
> the new band re-record it that I understood all the theme tune lyrics.

I don't remember that bit, I must have stopped watching it by then.

>> 40. (NE) Elton John Kiss The Bride
>
> It was somewhere around this time that he did.

Probably not very often though.

>> 54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
>
> Massive track and iconic video.  His big retro phase.

The cars in this video were to me what the trains in the Ullman video
were to you.

>> 60. (77) The Kinks You Really Got Me {1983 reissue}
>
> Was this before or after Come Dancing was a big retro style hit?

After, hence this cash-in.

>> 79. (NE) Seona Dancing Bitter Heart
>
> Isn't this the bloke who played David Brent?

Yes. Well, him and another bloke.

> I know he was in a band
> with limited success.

Presumably the inspiration for all the David Brent musical storylines.

>> 96. (NE) Fat Larry's Band Don't Let It Go To Your Head
>
> Don't think this one zooms up the charts...

No, oddly after their biggest hit they never troubled the Top 75 again.

Chris

James Heaton

Oct 15, 2018, 12:40:21 PM10/15/18

> On 14/10/2018 21:26, James Heaton wrote:
>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> 35 years ago this week, Shostakovich is about to have his first hit
>>> single, and it's the Top 100 debut of an act whose singer later became
>>> much more famous for doing something else.
>>> Also in this chart are two groups formed by the drummers of earlier
>>> chart-topping acts, one band named after their drummer and one fronted
>>> by their drummer. There's also a single produced by Geoff Emerick who
>>> died recently.
>>> I did have to make an educated guess which Bauhaus EP this was.
>>>
>>> Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
>>> remastered version that was only released two days ago.
>>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>>>
>>> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>>>
>>> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
>>
>> Vivid memory of seeing this on tv, and my grandfather turning to my
>> parents and commenting - you bloody let him watch this?! He was always
>> in trouble for sweating in front of me.
>
> If that's not a typo it seems very harsh.

Yes typo. Swearing. Well spotted...

>> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday
>>
>> Huge selling track with various entries across the 80s.
>
> I think this was the highest position of the original mix.
>
>> Funnily enough been watching the DVD of Mrs Merton show, he features in
>> the first couple of series.
>
> Until they got divorced, presumably.

Yes they dumped 'Hooky and the boys' at that point and replaced with 'The
Patrick Trio' - same words and tune just a new version with much clearer
lyrics. Patrick Trio also did the revised lyrics for Mrs. Merton in Las
Vegas.

James

Chris Brown

Oct 15, 2018, 7:13:54 PM10/15/18
Good, because if you were worried about getting into trouble you'd swaet
more, probably.

>>> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday
>>>
>>> Huge selling track with various entries across the 80s.
>>
>> I think this was the highest position of the original mix.
>>
>>> Funnily enough been watching the DVD of Mrs Merton show, he features
>>> in the first couple of series.
>>
>> Until they got divorced, presumably.
>
> Yes they dumped 'Hooky and the boys' at that point and replaced with
> 'The Patrick Trio' - same words and tune just a new version with much
> clearer lyrics.  Patrick Trio also did the revised lyrics for Mrs.
> Merton in Las Vegas.

I must have stopped watching by then.
Looking at the list of guests they had, I don't think the full run run
is ever going to get repeated.

Chris

Mark Goodge

Oct 19, 2018, 6:01:04 PM10/19/18
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:10:20 +0100, Chris Brown
<extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
>remastered version that was only released two days ago.
>https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>
>Chart dated 15th October 1983

As is to be expected of a chart from this era, it's generally a very
good one, with a fair sprinkling of classics. Although there are, of
course, enough tracks in here to demonstrate that not everything in
the 80s garden was glorious.

It's very much a late Phase-1 80s chart, though. There's still plenty
of new wave, new romantic and synth pop in here, but it's also showing
early signs of the styles that would predominate in Phase-2 80s.

I've seen four acts in this chart play live, and one member of one act
play live as a member of another act. And one of these days I will get
round to seeing a fifth act in this chart who only lives a few miles
from me and plays my local venues quite regularly.

>1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon

Classic 80s track. The video opens with a subtitle proclaiming it to
be the Mississippi in 1870, which is presumably an attempt to try and
gaslight those who, correctly, recognise it as the Thames in 1983.

>2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know

Not quite a classic track. It's a good song, but the Kirsty MacColl
original - cruelly denied a chart entry by either a strike at the
distributors or (depending who you believe) a deliberate decision not
to promote it by the label following a falling-out with MacColl - is
far better. Although MacColl does actually sing one word on the Tracey
Ullman version.

>3. (4) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence

This, on the other hand, is an example of a cover that's better than
the original. Even though the original is by The Beatles. While there
are several cases where a cover version becomes, effectively, the
definitive version of a song (Soft Cell's version of 'Tainted Love',
and Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' being two of the best known),
there can't be many instances where a cover artist has upstaged the
Fab Four.

>4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love

The third single from the absolutely massive "Let's Dance" album. At
the time, it suffered a bit by comparison with the first two, and was
the least successful overall of the three. But, in retrospect, it's
aged better than the others.

>5. (13) Howard Jones New Song

Not the most original of titles. The song is quite good, though. One
of my favourites at the time.

>6. (5) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song

Considered a classic now, although at the time it split opinion. But
it was John Lydon's work with Public Image Ltd which demonstrated his
genuine creative genius, and in retrospect raised the Sex Pistols from
being just a Malcom McLaren manufactured shock band.

>7. (15) George Benson In Your Eyes

Bland pap. Although listening to it now raises a bit of a smile,
because of the instrumentation - it's got a very prominent electric
piano in the mix, which, at the time, was quite modish. But the
keyboard I use now when playing live with our band has a preset of
precisely the same sound, labelled "Classic electric piano". Which I
throw in every now and then when I want to give a song an 80s vibe.

>8. (3) UB40 Red Red Wine

Oddly enough, this is probably another example of a song where a cover
has become the definitive version. Although in this case it's a cover
of a cover, because the UB40 version is based on Tony Tribe's version
of Neil Diamond's original.

This was one of my favourites at the time, and is still probably the
song from this chart that I listen to the most often. Although,
possily a little ironically, I didn't like wine at the time. I do now,
though. I happen to have a glass of red wine with me as I write this.

>9. (10) New Order Blue Monday

Classic of the era.

>10. (8) David Essex Tahiti

Not a classic of any era.

>12. (16) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)

I suppose some people found it amusing at the time.

>14. (7) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My Love

It's that classic electric piano again.

>17. (19) The Alarm 68 Guns

Very much of its era.

>19. (11) Genesis Mama

Good song. One of my favourites at the time.

>36. (68) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance

Great song. There's a blog post which goes into the detail of where
the video was filmed; even now, it's still recognisable on Google
street view.

https://guanolad.blogspot.com/2010/04/you-can-dance-if-you-want-to.html

>54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl

Classic song. I do quite like this version of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0xvcWyH40

Mark

Chris Brown

Oct 20, 2018, 8:05:05 PM10/20/18
On 19/10/2018 23:00, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:10:20 +0100, Chris Brown
> <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
>> remastered version that was only released two days ago.
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>>
>> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>
> As is to be expected of a chart from this era, it's generally a very
> good one, with a fair sprinkling of classics. Although there are, of
> course, enough tracks in here to demonstrate that not everything in
> the 80s garden was glorious.
>
> It's very much a late Phase-1 80s chart, though. There's still plenty
> of new wave, new romantic and synth pop in here, but it's also showing
> early signs of the styles that would predominate in Phase-2 80s.
>
> I've seen four acts in this chart play live, and one member of one act
> play live as a member of another act. And one of these days I will get
> round to seeing a fifth act in this chart who only lives a few miles
> from me and plays my local venues quite regularly.

So that's Bowie, Cliff, Genesis...
Nick Beggs and Toyah

>> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
>
> Classic 80s track. The video opens with a subtitle proclaiming it to
> be the Mississippi in 1870, which is presumably an attempt to try and
> gaslight those who, correctly, recognise it as the Thames in 1983.

It's a long time since I've seen it, I can't really remember how
accurate it is.
At the time I didn't even know where Mississippi was (although they
probably cut that intro on TotP)

>> 2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
>
> Not quite a classic track. It's a good song, but the Kirsty MacColl
> original - cruelly denied a chart entry by either a strike at the
> distributors or (depending who you believe) a deliberate decision not
> to promote it by the label following a falling-out with MacColl - is
> far better.

I think that depends what you're looking for.

>Although MacColl does actually sing one word on the Tracey
> Ullman version.

One word of lead vocal, at least - I believe she also provides a harmony
vocal elsewhere on the track.
Presumably she'd buried the hatchet with Stiff by this point (and did
indeed record further solo material there).

>> 3. (4) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
>
> This, on the other hand, is an example of a cover that's better than
> the original. Even though the original is by The Beatles.

It's a pretty B-list Beatles song to start with but #unpopularopinion
I've never cared for this version which I've always found monotonous.

> While there
> are several cases where a cover version becomes, effectively, the
> definitive version of a song (Soft Cell's version of 'Tainted Love',
> and Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' being two of the best known),
> there can't be many instances where a cover artist has upstaged the
> Fab Four.

'Do You Want To Know A Secret' possibly? Not my favourite Beatles cover
but definitely better than their own version.

>> 4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love
>
> The third single from the absolutely massive "Let's Dance" album. At
> the time, it suffered a bit by comparison with the first two, and was
> the least successful overall of the three.

Only marginally, it has the same peak position and Top 75 week as 'China
Girl'. Doubtless it did suffer from the number of people who'd already
bought the album by now, although there was an exclusive (at the time)
live B-side to tempt the fans.

> But, in retrospect, it's
> aged better than the others.

Certainly more so than 'China Girl', and it's slightly less familiar
than 'Let's Dance' itself.

>> 5. (13) Howard Jones New Song
>
> Not the most original of titles.

Well not the most imaginative anyway. can't think of any earlier songs
released under the title.

>> 6. (5) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song
>
> Considered a classic now, although at the time it split opinion.

I'm pretty sure it still does. As of course do many other generally
accepted classics.

I'm not sure why this particular song ended up as their biggest hit.

But
> it was John Lydon's work with Public Image Ltd which demonstrated his
> genuine creative genius, and in retrospect raised the Sex Pistols from
> being just a Malcom McLaren manufactured shock band.

I think the Pistols had already been given their place in history.

>> 7. (15) George Benson In Your Eyes
>
> Bland pap. Although listening to it now raises a bit of a smile,
> because of the instrumentation - it's got a very prominent electric
> piano in the mix, which, at the time, was quite modish.

I suppose that's interesting in the context of George Benson starting
out as a jazz musician.

> But the
> keyboard I use now when playing live with our band has a preset of
> precisely the same sound, labelled "Classic electric piano". Which I
> throw in every now and then when I want to give a song an 80s vibe.

I remember when we had synths at school in the 90s I was disappointed
that the "piano" setting sounded like an actual piano and not the Billy
Preston sound I was looking for.
Not that I could play them anyway.

>> 8. (3) UB40 Red Red Wine
>
> Oddly enough, this is probably another example of a song where a cover
> has become the definitive version. Although in this case it's a cover
> of a cover, because the UB40 version is based on Tony Tribe's version
> of Neil Diamond's original.

Unless it turns out Tony Tribe learnt it from some intervening version.

I was amused to find this UB40 "tribute" album on Spotify a while ago,
since it consists almost entirely of covers:

https://open.spotify.com/album/76j2HEiwHFbRb8pR655OUd?si=aMVHttKsSvuoehrTyETEZA
(Ironically, one of the few songs written by UB40 is Sing Our Own Song).

> This was one of my favourites at the time, and is still probably the
> song from this chart that I listen to the most often. Although,
> possily a little ironically, I didn't like wine at the time. I do now,
> though. I happen to have a glass of red wine with me as I write this.

I find it hard to imagine circumstances where anyone would feel the need
to play a copy of this record voluntarily, as if they hadn't heard it
enough already.

>> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday
>
> Classic of the era.

And beyond?

>> 10. (8) David Essex Tahiti
>
> Not a classic of any era.

Wasn't it from a musical?

>> 12. (16) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
>
> I suppose some people found it amusing at the time.

The rude version is definitely less amusing.

>> 14. (7) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My Love
>
> It's that classic electric piano again.

If you can stay awake long enough to hear it.

>> 17. (19) The Alarm 68 Guns
>
> Very much of its era.

Even though it clearly wants to be from about five years earlier.

>> 19. (11) Genesis Mama
>
> Good song. One of my favourites at the time.

A very unlikely song to be their biggest hit.

>> 36. (68) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
>
> Great song. There's a blog post which goes into the detail of where
> the video was filmed; even now, it's still recognisable on Google
> street view.
>
> https://guanolad.blogspot.com/2010/04/you-can-dance-if-you-want-to.html

And didn't one the extras end up being a magazine editor?

Chris

Robbie

Oct 21, 2018, 8:41:53 AM10/21/18
Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>

> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon

I bought the 12" and loved the song at the time. I literally can't stand
it now.

> 2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know

Decent enough cover but I never cared for Tracey's vocal style.

> 3. (4) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence

Decentish song but by far not one of their best. Their most successful
of course though.

> 4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love

The singles really were by far the best tracks on the album.

> 5. (13) Howard Jones New Song

Catchy song.

> 6. (5) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song

Another I bought on 12". And another I no longer can listen to.

> 7. (15) George Benson In Your Eyes

Dreary song.

> 8. (3) UB40 Red Red Wine

Another I loved at the time. I don't hate it but could do with never
hearing it again.

> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday

A classic single and another I owned on 12". Still gets played at least
once a week on Radio X.

> 10. (8) David Essex Tahiti

His last top 10 single. Not very good.

> 11. (29) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew

Seen as something of a novelty at the time but it was one of the singles
at the fore of the electro scene.

> 12. (16) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)

Silly song, silly dance, awful record.

> 13. (6) Paul Young Come Back And Stay

I think I prefer this to his number 1 hit these days.

> 14. (7) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My
> Love

Sappy.

> 15. (24) Nick Heyward Blue Hat For A Blue Day

A bit of a Nick by numbers type song but I didn't mind it - he always
sounds cheerful whatever he's singing.

> 16. (31) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)

Another I bought on 12". A massive dancefloor hit as well as pop hit.

> 17. (19) The Alarm 68 Guns

They always seemed like they were trying a little too hard to be
"punky". But they were 6 years too late.

> 18. (12) Kajagoogoo Big Apple

I think this may have been their first single without Limahl? A poor
song that was charting on their name alone.

> 19. (11) Genesis Mama

A creepy, spooky song that I quite liked.

> 20. (17) Ryan Paris Dolce Vita

A big Euro holiday hit. The singer's attempts at singing in English is
quite amusing but I did quite like this one.

> 28. (33) Freeez Pop Goes My Love

I'd bought the album on cassette. Apart from I.O.U. all the other
tracks, including this one, were rubbish.

> 41. (44) Olympic Orchestra Reilly

TV theme from Reilly, Ace Of Spies.

> 52. (67) Gary Low I Want You

Another Italian Euro hit, like ryan Paris. And I quite liked this one too.

> 54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl

Would soon be number 1 and would mark the start of Billy's most
successful period on the UK charts.

> 65. (63) Time UK The Cabaret

Rick Buckler's post-Jam band. Not a great song and his post Jam career
soon fizzled out.

> 100. (NE) This Mortal Coil 16 Days

'Sixteen Days' was the A side of the 12". The A side of the 7" was the
haunting and brilliant 'Song To The Siren'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWKJ2FUiAQ

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Oct 21, 2018, 5:11:23 PM10/21/18
On 21/10/2018 13:41, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:
>
>> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>>

>> 1.     (1)    Culture Club    Karma Chameleon
>
> I bought the 12" and loved the song at the time. I literally can't stand
> it now.

I can but it took a while.

>> 2.     (9)    Tracey Ullman    They Don't Know
>
> Decent enough cover but I never cared for Tracey's vocal style.

I think it suited this particular song.

>> 3.     (4)    Siouxsie And The Banshees    Dear Prudence
>
> Decentish song but by far not one of their best. Their most successful
> of course though.

They did do a lot of cover versions.

>> 4.     (2)    David Bowie    Modern Love
>
> The singles really were by far the best tracks on the album.

Having now acquired the album I do tend to agree. I think 'Ricochet' is
the best non-single track.

>> 5.    (13)    Howard Jones    New Song
>
> Catchy song.

Although it is a little bit like Solsbury Hill.

>> 6.     (5)    Public Image Ltd    This Is Not A Love Song
>
> Another I bought on 12". And another I no longer can listen to.

Too shouty.

>> 7.    (15)    George Benson    In Your Eyes
>
> Dreary song.

I think at the time I thought this was the sort of music grown-ups were
supposed to like. I'm in my forties now, and I still don't.

>> 8.     (3)    UB40    Red Red Wine
>
> Another I loved at the time. I don't hate it but could do with never
> hearing it again.

I think it seems worse than it is because of the ubiquity.

>> 9.    (10)    New Order    Blue Monday
>
> A classic single and another I owned on 12". Still gets played at least
> once a week on Radio X.

I think Radio 2 prefer to play the 88 version.

>> 11.    (29)    Rocksteady Crew    (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
>
> Seen as something of a novelty at the time but it was one of the singles
> at the fore of the electro scene.

When did they start calling it "electro"?
I watched a Dutch TV report about this song on YouTube where they
interviewed the woman from this song as she is now (well, a couple of
years ago).

>> 12.    (16)    Black Lace    Superman (Gioca Jouer)
>
> Silly song, silly dance, awful record.

Even at school this seemed naff.

>> 13.     (6)    Paul Young    Come Back And Stay
>
> I think I prefer this to his number 1 hit these days.

It does have more interesting backing vocals.

>> 15.    (24)    Nick Heyward    Blue Hat For A Blue Day
>
> A bit of a Nick by numbers type song but I didn't mind it - he always
> sounds cheerful whatever he's singing.

Even though it's about being dumped, I sort of agree.

>> 16.    (31)    Lionel Richie    All Night Long (All Night)
>
> Another I bought on 12". A massive dancefloor hit as well as pop hit.

Deservedly so, notably un-sappy for solo Lionel.

>> 17.    (19)    The Alarm    68 Guns
>
> They always seemed like they were trying a little too hard to be
> "punky". But they were 6 years too late.

And always really over-produced.

>> 18.    (12)    Kajagoogoo    Big Apple
>
> I think this may have been their first single without Limahl?

I think it was.

>A poor
> song that was charting on their name alone.

Still it did get onto the first Now album in a show of balance.

>> 19.    (11)    Genesis    Mama
>
> A creepy, spooky song that I quite liked.

"Hahaha.. Oh....."
People who think Genesis went too commercial after Peter Gabriel don't
seem to notice this one.

>> 20.    (17)    Ryan Paris    Dolce Vita
>
> A big Euro holiday hit. The singer's attempts at singing in English is
> quite amusing but I did quite like this one.

Confusing that he was called "Paris".

>> 28.    (33)    Freeez    Pop Goes My Love
>
> I'd bought the album on cassette. Apart from I.O.U. all the other
> tracks, including this one, were rubbish.

I didn't think they were a natural album act.

>> 41.    (44)    Olympic Orchestra    Reilly
>
> TV theme from Reilly, Ace Of Spies.

Originally composed by Shostakovich as part of the score for the film
The Gadfly.

>> 52.    (67)    Gary Low    I Want You
>
> Another Italian Euro hit, like ryan Paris. And I quite liked this one too.

Dodgy singing though.

>> 54.    (94)    Billy Joel    Uptown Girl
>
> Would soon be number 1 and would mark the start of Billy's most
> successful period on the UK charts.

Well, I liked it.

>> 65.    (63)    Time UK    The Cabaret
>
> Rick Buckler's post-Jam band. Not a great song and his post Jam career
> soon fizzled out.

He was (presumably still is) a good drummer but that's not much to build
a career on. At least Bruce Foxton can write songs.

>> 100.    (NE)    This Mortal Coil    16 Days
>
> 'Sixteen Days' was the A side of the 12". The A side of the 7" was the
> haunting and brilliant 'Song To The Siren'.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWKJ2FUiAQ

Yeah, I noticed they had separate chart runs, and I wasn't sure why.

Chris

Robbie

Oct 21, 2018, 6:52:42 PM10/21/18
Chris Brown wrote:
> On 21/10/2018 13:41, Robbie wrote:

>>> 11. (29) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
>>
>> Seen as something of a novelty at the time but it was one of the
>> singles at the fore of the electro scene.
>
> When did they start calling it "electro"?

This single or the music genre? If the former it was tagged as being
such at the time. If the latter, around 1983. The fuller genre
description is usually electro / hip-hop. The UK compilation label
Street Sounds released the first two Street Sounds Electro albums in
1983 (volume 2 contains 'White Lines' which is more rap / hip-hop to me).

>>> 100. (NE) This Mortal Coil 16 Days
>>
>> 'Sixteen Days' was the A side of the 12". The A side of the 7" was the
>> haunting and brilliant 'Song To The Siren'.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWKJ2FUiAQ
>
> Yeah, I noticed they had separate chart runs, and I wasn't sure why.

Record Mirror have '16 Days' listed for this chart week then 'Song To
The Siren' from the following week as a climber from 100 to 66 (though
the magazine struggled with the title at first, listing it as 'Song Of A
Siren' and 'Song Of The Siren' at times. The catalogue number is that of
the 7" version from the week it entered the chart at number 100. The OCC
use the Record Mirror chart for the 1980s hence the separate listings
for '16 Days' (as it was listed also in Record Mirror, not the correct
'Sixteen Days') and 'Song To The Siren' for the rest of its chart run
(and at least they list the title consistently correctly) though the
catalogue number for '16 Days' on the OCC website is not something I
recognise.

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Oct 23, 2018, 6:04:12 PM10/23/18
On 21/10/2018 23:52, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Seen as something of a novelty at the time but it was one of the
>>> singles at the fore of the electro scene.
>>
>> When did they start calling it "electro"?
>
> This single or the music genre? If the former it was tagged as being
> such at the time. If the latter, around 1983. The fuller genre
> description is usually electro / hip-hop. The UK compilation label
> Street Sounds released the first two Street Sounds Electro albums in
> 1983 (volume 2 contains 'White Lines' which is more rap / hip-hop to me).

Ah, I don't remember hearing the term until later, but to be fair I
wasn't hanging around the cool clubs when I was 5. Or at any other time.

>>> 'Sixteen Days' was the A side of the 12". The A side of the 7" was
>>> the haunting and brilliant 'Song To The Siren'.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWKJ2FUiAQ
>>
>> Yeah, I noticed they had separate chart runs, and I wasn't sure why.
>
> Record Mirror have '16 Days' listed for this chart week then 'Song To
> The Siren' from the following week as a climber from 100 to 66 (though
> the magazine struggled with the title at first, listing it as 'Song Of A
> Siren' and 'Song Of The Siren' at times. The catalogue number is that of
> the 7" version from the week it entered the chart at number 100. The OCC
> use the Record Mirror chart for the 1980s hence the separate listings
> for '16 Days' (as it was listed also in Record Mirror, not the correct
> 'Sixteen Days') and 'Song To The Siren' for the rest of its chart run
> (and at least they list the title consistently correctly) though the
> catalogue number for '16 Days' on the OCC website is not something I
> recognise.

That is very fiddly. Still, I suppose 4ad liked a bit of mystique.

Chris

Robbie

Oct 23, 2018, 7:33:34 PM10/23/18
Chris Brown wrote:
> On 21/10/2018 23:52, Robbie wrote:
>> Chris Brown wrote:

>>> When did they start calling it "electro"?
>>
>> This single or the music genre? If the former it was tagged as being
>> such at the time. If the latter, around 1983. The fuller genre
>> description is usually electro / hip-hop. The UK compilation label
>> Street Sounds released the first two Street Sounds Electro albums in
>> 1983 (volume 2 contains 'White Lines' which is more rap / hip-hop to me).
>
> Ah, I don't remember hearing the term until later, but to be fair I
> wasn't hanging around the cool clubs when I was 5. Or at any other time.

Sadly - or maybe thankfully - the clubs I was going to at the time
weren't cool (they all played mainly commercial dance music that was in
the charts along with the more danceable big pop hits.). I relied on the
James Hamilton Disco / Club pages in Record Mirror to keep up with the
latest trends.

--
------
Robbie

Rink

Jul 12, 2021, 4:13:25 PM7/12/21
Op 20-10-2018 om 0:00 schreef Mark Goodge:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:10:20 +0100, Chris Brown
> <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Playlists are here. David Bowie appears on Spotify in the 2018
>> remastered version that was only released two days ago.
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/0A9vRw4cyWaxi1dC9n5nwk?si=Yt7OsKkbQM2Awy78ns1h2w
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw&list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrfs1biS5lvqZ3ns2F_EgB_
>>
>> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>

>> 36. (68) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance
>
> Great song. There's a blog post which goes into the detail of where
> the video was filmed; even now, it's still recognisable on Google
> street view.
>
> https://guanolad.blogspot.com/2010/04/you-can-dance-if-you-want-to.html
>

> Mark

Well thank you for the link to this very nice blog!
After 11 years stil nice to read.

Rink

vidcapper

Jul 22, 2021, 1:47:05 AM7/22/21
On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 13:10:20 UTC+1, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated 15th October 1983
>
> 1. (1) Culture Club Karma Chameleon
> 2. (9) Tracey Ullman They Don't Know
> 3. (4) Siouxsie And The Banshees Dear Prudence
> 4. (2) David Bowie Modern Love
> 5. (13) Howard Jones New Song
> 6. (5) Public Image Ltd This Is Not A Love Song

> 8. (3) UB40 Red Red Wine
> 9. (10) New Order Blue Monday

> 11. (29) Rocksteady Crew (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew
> 12. (16) Black Lace Superman (Gioca Jouer)
> 13. (6) Paul Young Come Back And Stay
> 14. (7) Peabo Bryson And Roberta Flack Tonight I Celebrate My Love

> 16. (31) Lionel Richie All Night Long (All Night)
> 17. (19) The Alarm 68 Guns

> 19. (11) Genesis Mama

> 22. (14) Big Country Chance

> 25. (NE) Paul McCartney And Michael Jackson Say Say Say

> 35. (42) Will Powers Kissing With Confidence
> 36. (68) Men Without Hats The Safety Dance

> 42. (46) Donna Summer Unconditional Love

> 47. (53) Roman Holliday Motor Mania

> 54. (94) Billy Joel Uptown Girl
> 55. (36) Madness Wings Of A Dove

> 60. (77) The Kinks You Really Got Me {1983 reissue}

> 70. (62) Herbie Hancock Rockit

As normal with 1983, i know quite a lot of these.