I was alone, no-one was there in this old chart from 1980

Chris Brown

Mar 23, 2020, 2:17:18 PM3/23/20
We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
up.

Spotify playlist here:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA

Chart Dated 29th March 1980

1. (1) The Jam Going Underground / Dreams of Children
2. (2) Fern Kinney Together We Are Beautiful
3. (4) The Vapors Turning Japanese
4. (5) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
5. (8) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl
6. (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face
7. (9) Rainbow All Night Long
8. (10) Captain And Tennile Do That To Me One More Time
9. (6) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
10. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
11. (14) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
12. (27) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
13. (16) Rush Spirit Of Radio
14. (12) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa
15. (13) The Beat Hands Off...She's Mine
16. (11) The Police So Lonely
17. (26) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
18. (7) Blondie Atomic
19. (29) Barbara Dickson January February
20. (40) UB40 King/Food For Thought
21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
22. (20) Stiff Little Fingers At The Edge
23. (25) Genesis Turn it On Again
24. (31) The Bodysnatchers Let's Do Rocksteady
25. (NE) Judas Priest Living After Midnight
26. (24) Shakin' Stevens Hot Dog
27. (28) Secret Affair My World
28. (45) B.A. Robertson Kool in The Kaftan
29. (30) The Dooleys Love Patrol
30. (35) Leon Haywood Don't Push It Don't Force It
31. (43) Sad Cafe My Oh My
32. (NE) John Foxx No-One Driving
33. (17) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On
34. (49) Bad Manners Ne-Ne Na-Na Na-Na Nu-Nu
35. (46) The Monkees The Monkees EP
[I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
36. (55) The Stranglers Bear Cage
37. (34) Narada Michael Walden Tonight I'm Alright
38. (NE) Dr Hook Sexy Eyes
39. (18) Kenny Rogers Coward of The County
40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
41. (66) Saxon Wheels Of Steel
42. (41) April Wine I Like To Rock
43. (65) Rupert Holmes Him
44. (33) David Bowie Alabama Song
45. (57) M That's The Way The Money Goes
46. (19) Cliff Richard Carrie
47. (39) Jon Pertwee Worzel's Song
48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You
49. (52) Rose Royce Ooh Boy
50. (42) Tony Rallo Holdin' On/Burning' Alive
51. (NE) Selecter Missing Words
52. (50) Bette Bright Hello I Am Your Heart
53. (32) The Shadows Riders In The Sky
54. (38) UK Subs Warhead
55. (22) Elvis Costello and The Attractions I Can't Stand Up For Falling
Down
56. (68) Magnum Magnum Live (double single)
[Invasion; Kingdom Of Madness; All Of My Life; Great Adventure]
57. (72) Santana All I Ever Wanted
58. (74) Kandidate Let Me Rock You
59. (48) Trussel Love Injection
60. (59) Dan Fogelberg Longer
61. (69) Gerry Rafferty Bring It All Home
62. (37) The Tourists So Good To Be Back Home Again
63. (NE) Lene Lovich What Will I Do Without You?
64. (44) Keith Michell Captain Beaky/Wilfred The Weasel
65. (67) Angelic Upstarts We Gotta Get Out of This Place
66. (54) Billy Preston and Syreeta It Will Come In Time
67. (NE) Harry J All-Stars/The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De Bucket
68. (NE) Bobby Thurston Check Out The Groove
69. (51) AC/DC Touch Too Much
70. (56) Godiego Gandhara (Theme From Monkey)
71. (64) The Specials - The Special AKA Live! EP
[Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]
72. (70) The Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing
73. (53) Dave Edmunds Singing The Blues
74. (NE) Keith Michell The Trial of Hissing Sid
75. (NE) Stevie Wonder Outside My Window

Chris

Vidcapper

Mar 24, 2020, 3:08:39 AM3/24/20
On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>
> 1. (1) The Jam Going Underground / Dreams of Children

Has anyone but hardcore fans ever even heard the latter? :P

> 5. (8) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl

> 9. (6) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach

> 15. (13) The Beat Hands Off...She's Mine

> 18. (7) Blondie Atomic

> 26. (24) Shakin' Stevens Hot Dog

> 35. (46) The Monkees The Monkees EP
> [I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
> Bit Me, A Little Bit You]

> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno

> 48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You

> 62. (37) The Tourists So Good To Be Back Home Again

> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
> De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]

> 72. (70) The Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing

I only know some of the songs on each EP.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Robbie

Mar 24, 2020, 4:35:52 AM3/24/20
On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
> up.
>
> Spotify playlist here:
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>

> Chart Dated 29th March 1980

A week earlier and you would have posted the chart from my 16th
birthday. Yikes at it being from 40 years ago.

Record Mirror:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Record-Mirror/80s/80/Record-Mirror-1980-03-29.pdf

> 1.   (1) The Jam    Going Underground / Dreams of Children

Still my all time favourite single. I had the double pack version. This
single entering the charts at number 1 was a major talking poiunt as it
was the first time it had happened in over 6 years (back to 'Merry Xmas
Everybody' by Slade, in December 1973. Like The Jam they were on Polydor
Records).

> 2.   (2) Fern Kinney    Together We Are Beautiful

Hurrah for The Jam knocking this awful song from the top.

> 3.   (4) The Vapors    Turning Japanese

Bruce Foxton and I think paul Weller's dad had some connection with
these. Good song. The lead singer is now a lawyer and is, or was the
last time I checked, working for one of the music industry trade bodies.

> 4.   (5) Liquid Gold    Dance Yourself Dizzy

Silly record. Awful song. My mum bought this one.

> 5.   (8) Detroit Spinners    Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl

I owned this on 12". It sounded dated even then, like something from
three or four years earlier.

> 6.   (3) Marti Webb    Take That Look off Your Face

Show tune I believe. Well structered song but not my thing.

> 7.   (9) Rainbow    All Night Long

I quite liked this one but some of the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

> 8.  (10) Captain And Tennile    Do That To Me One More Time

The Captain is no longer with us. Saccharine, to say the least.

> 9.   (6) Peter Gabriel    Games Without Frontiers

The big question at the time was "does Kater Bush sing on this one". For
some reason it was never really confirmed at the time. But yes she does,
and it's a classic song.

> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins    Echo Beach

Great single.

> 11. (14) The Brothers Johnson    Stomp

Owned this on 12". Co-written by Rod "Grimsby" Temperton. Rod started
life working in a fish packaging factory in Grimsby before joining
Heatwave then working with Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson and many
others. Quite a "rags to riches" story.Sadly also another no longer with us.

> 12. (27) Lambrettas    Poison Ivy

I enjoyed this at the time, it was quite quirky. Doesn't sound that good
these days.

> 13. (16) Rush    Spirit Of Radio

I always liked the 12" / album version of this.

> 14. (12) Gibson Brothers    Cuba/Better Do It Salsa

Had this one on 7". Great song ('Cuba') though again the lead singer
could do with a packet of Strepsils.

> 15. (13) The Beat    Hands Off...She's Mine

Bought this on 7". Like many of those ska records from this era it
sounds very much of its time though it was enjoyable at the time.

> 16. (11) The Police    So Lonely

"Sue Lawley" etc. Sting's voice sounded annoying on this one back then.
The single had originally been released in 1978.

> 17. (26) Squeeze    Another Nail In My Heart

Another brilliant Squeeze single.

> 18.  (7) Blondie    Atomic

The album / 12" version is far better than the 7" version which misses
out the best bits (the "Three Blind Mice" intro and the long middle
section).

> 19. (29) Barbara Dickson    January February

A big radio hit at the time. This and 'Caravan Song' must have been two
of the most played songs on my local ILR station in 1980.

> 20. (40) UB40    King/Food For Thought

Owned on 7". Excellent single.

> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees    Happy House

Owned on 7" as well. A great single, the first to feature John McGeoch
who apparently improvised the guitar intro to the song at his audition.

> 22. (20) Stiff Little Fingers    At The Edge

The lead singer, despite being from Nothern Irelnd, is the second
Newcastle United fan we've encountered so far. I'm sure the other is
pretty obvious. Decent song with what can only be described as venemous
vocals.

> 23. (25) Genesis    Turn it On Again

Genesis had already softened and AOR's their sound but this was probably
the last top 40 hit they had before becoming a full on Phil Collins +
backing band act.

> 24. (31) The Bodysnatchers    Let's Do Rocksteady

Bought this on 7" too. I didn't really care much for it then but at the
time I was buying every 2 Tone records release.

> 27. (28) Secret Affair    My World

God single, well produced.

> 32. (NE) John Foxx    No-One Driving

Beating his former band to the top 40.

> 39. (18) Kenny Rogers    Coward of The County

My mother loved this single, enough to ask me to buy it as a Mother's
Day present for her. Strange choice, lyrically.

> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners    Geno

A bit more tolerable than 'Come On Eileen' these days.

> 46. (19) Cliff Richard    Carrie

One of Cliff's best singles, co-written by BA Robertson no less.

> 51. (NE) Selecter    Missing Words

Another I bought. This is a great song.

> 71. (64) The Specials - The Special AKA Live! EP
> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
> De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]

Needless to say I bought this one.

> 72. (70) The Nolans    I'm In The Mood For Dancing

Another my mother bought to add to the horror of the other two from this
chart.

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Mar 24, 2020, 10:20:02 AM3/24/20

James Heaton

Mar 24, 2020, 4:13:24 PM3/24/20

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is pretty
> high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show up.
>
> Spotify playlist here:
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>
> Chart Dated 29th March 1980

> 6. (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face

The original Emma, and an absolute belter of a track.

> 11. (14) The Brothers Johnson Stomp

As others have pointed out, written by the Grimsby genius. His biography is
a good read for any fans. A very modest man who lived most of his adult
life in a modest flat in Germany, and had one of the longest marriages in
showbusiness. Sadly the only immodest thing was his tobacco habit.

> 18. (7) Blondie Atomic

One of the favourite songs of my partner

> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House

Have seen the intro for this used as a music bed for 'creepy' or
'supernatural' so many times...

> 33. (17) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On

Damn good track

> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno

He had a big following in the east, played the small town I work in (Dereham
NR19) about 15yrs ago.

> 46. (19) Cliff Richard Carrie

Not a Cliff fan but like this. A former colleague's church friend is his
niece. When she got married, he lent her his car, chauffeur on the day, one
of his houses for the honeymoon, and when they came back their kitchen had
been redone.

> 48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You

Another Rod Temperton track.

> 53. (32) The Shadows Riders In The Sky

Murderously bad version of one of my favourite songs. Particularly that
awful key change!

> 73. (53) Dave Edmunds Singing The Blues

For me, he never again touched the heights he hit with Love Sculpture. Is
this the 50s classic covered?

> 64. (44) Keith Michell Captain Beaky/Wilfred The Weasel
> 74. (NE) Keith Michell The Trial of Hissing Sid

He managed more than one hit out of Captain Beaky?
James

Mark Goodge

Mar 24, 2020, 6:24:01 PM3/24/20
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:17:27 +0000, Chris Brown <extrem...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
>up.
>
>Spotify playlist here:
>https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>
>Chart Dated 29th March 1980

An interesting chart, right at the heart of the late 70s/early 80s vibe
that was musical soundtrack to my teenage years. Some of the songs in
here are still among my all-time favourites, and it has a good selection
of all-time classics (some songs, indeed, being in both categories).
Although, as with any chart from the era, it also contains several songs
which disprove the notion that everything in the 80s was wonderful.

I've seen four acts in this chart play live, one of them as support to
another one. One of the four I've seen live is now dead, another has
recently announced a reunion.

>1. (1) The Jam Going Underground / Dreams of Children

The A1 side is a classic of the era. The A2 side might as well have been
a B side, for all the attention that it got at the time.

>2. (2) Fern Kinney Together We Are Beautiful

Very much of its era. But not in a classic way.

>3. (4) The Vapors Turning Japanese

Good song. One of my favourites at the time. There are still arguments
about whether it's racist. Or, alternatively, whether "turning Japanese"
is a euphemism.

>4. (5) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy

Awful.

>5. (8) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl

Irritatingly memorable.

>6. (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face

As show tunes go, it goes reasonably well.

>7. (9) Rainbow All Night Long

Subtle, it ain't. But it is a good song.

>8. (10) Captain And Tennile Do That To Me One More Time

Stereotypical 70s ballad that managed to creep into the 80s.

>9. (6) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers

One of my favourites at the time. A classic of the era.

>10. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach

Another classic of the era.

>11. (14) The Brothers Johnson Stomp

Unmemorable.

>12. (27) Lambrettas Poison Ivy

Despite being a cover of a 1950s song, this is very much of its era in
this chart.

>13. (16) Rush Spirit Of Radio

Prog rock was on its way out of the charts by this point. But it didn't
go down without a fight.

>14. (12) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa

Another double A that really should have been an A and a B. The real A
side is a classic of the era, and an all-time classic of its genre.

>15. (13) The Beat Hands Off...She's Mine

Good example of early 2-tone.

>16. (11) The Police So Lonely

Often misheard as "Sue Lawley".

>17. (26) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart

Not one of their better-remembered songs.

>18. (7) Blondie Atomic

All-time classic. This is one of the songs that defines the 80s. More
recently, it got me a shout-out on Absolute Radio.

https://twitter.com/MarkGoodge/status/1236413297068515328

>19. (29) Barbara Dickson January February

A song that sounds like it's a show tune, but actually isn't.

>20. (40) UB40 King/Food For Thought

See earlier comments about double-A records.

>21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House

Mildly bizarre. But then again, that was their ouevre.

>23. (25) Genesis Turn it On Again

Back in the days when Genesis were cool.

>28. (45) B.A. Robertson Kool in The Kaftan

One of my favourite songs at the time. It hasn't aged particularly well.
But I still like listening to it every now and then.

>35. (46) The Monkees The Monkees EP
>[I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
>Bit Me, A Little Bit You]

For a band invented for a TV series, they had some surprisingly good
songs. But then, so did The Rutles.

>39. (18) Kenny Rogers Coward of The County

Classic of its genre.

>40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno

Classic of the era. Probably their best track, although not their most
successful.

>46. (19) Cliff Richard Carrie

Good song.

>47. (39) Jon Pertwee Worzel's Song

There's always room for a bit of novelty.

>48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You

Classic of its genre.

>62. (37) The Tourists So Good To Be Back Home Again

Good song. Who knows what they might have acheived had they not split
up, eh.

>64. (44) Keith Michell Captain Beaky/Wilfred The Weasel

It was kind of funny at the time. Actually, it's mildly amusing now...

>71. (64) The Specials - The Special AKA Live! EP
>[Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
>De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]

The lead track is an all-time classic. But the entire EP is, somewhat
unusually, all classics of the era.

>72. (70) The Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing

Very much of its era. Without being a classic of it.

>74. (NE) Keith Michell The Trial of Hissing Sid

...but you can milk it too far.

>75. (NE) Stevie Wonder Outside My Window

Bland.

Mark

Chris Brown

Mar 26, 2020, 10:09:59 AM3/26/20
On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
> up.
>
> Spotify playlist here:
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>

> Chart Dated 29th March 1980

As another extra, here's some TV news continuity and ads from the week
in question. That pork advert is quite creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqCRJ0rsMo

Chris

Mark Goodge

Mar 26, 2020, 12:13:57 PM3/26/20
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:10:10 +0000, Chris Brown <extrem...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>As another extra, here's some TV news continuity and ads from the week
>in question. That pork advert is quite creepy.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqCRJ0rsMo

Tea. Best drink of the day.

Mark

Chris Brown

Mar 26, 2020, 3:27:27 PM3/26/20
Trying to advertise cups of tea to British people sounds like a joke, doesn't it?

Chris

Chris Brown

Mar 27, 2020, 7:59:57 PM3/27/20
On 24/03/2020 22:23, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:17:27 +0000, Chris Brown <extrem...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
>> up.
>>
>> Spotify playlist here:
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>
>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>
> An interesting chart, right at the heart of the late 70s/early 80s vibe
> that was musical soundtrack to my teenage years. Some of the songs in
> here are still among my all-time favourites, and it has a good selection
> of all-time classics (some songs, indeed, being in both categories).
> Although, as with any chart from the era, it also contains several songs
> which disprove the notion that everything in the 80s was wonderful.
>
> I've seen four acts in this chart play live, one of them as support to
> another one.

Well, I know you've seen Cliff, and the Beat supporting Bowie.

>One of the four I've seen live is now dead,

Bowie, alas.

>another has
> recently announced a reunion.

I guess that narrows it down to groups. And indeed rules out the one's
who've already reunited.

Oh yeah, it's Genesis isn't it? I suppose that is recent, but it feels
like a long time ago.

>> 1. (1) The Jam Going Underground / Dreams of Children
>
> The A1 side is a classic of the era. The A2 side might as well have been
> a B side, for all the attention that it got at the time.

I know there's an urban myth that 'Dreams Of Children' was originally
the intended A-side, but I don't find that very believable. 'Going
Underground' is very obviously a purpose-built hit (not a bad thing).

>> 2. (2) Fern Kinney Together We Are Beautiful
>
> Very much of its era. But not in a classic way.

Seems one of the least-remembered Number One singles of the decade.

>> 3. (4) The Vapors Turning Japanese
>
> Good song. One of my favourites at the time. There are still arguments
> about whether it's racist. Or, alternatively, whether "turning Japanese"
> is a euphemism.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive.

>> 4. (5) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
>
> Awful.

Controversially I sort of like it.

>> 5. (8) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl
>
> Irritatingly memorable.

At least half of it is.

>> 6. (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face
>
> As show tunes go, it goes reasonably well.

Even I like this one.

>> 7. (9) Rainbow All Night Long
>
> Subtle, it ain't. But it is a good song.

Not their best, but I can see it's well-put together for what it is.

>> 8. (10) Captain And Tennile Do That To Me One More Time
>
> Stereotypical 70s ballad that managed to creep into the 80s.

I think it was released in America in 1979. But you're right, it seems
even older.

>> 9. (6) Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers
>
> One of my favourites at the time. A classic of the era.

Still is one, IMO.

>> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
>
> Another classic of the era.

Definitely, even if a bit more of its time.

>> 11. (14) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
>
> Unmemorable.

I remember it!

>> 12. (27) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
>
> Despite being a cover of a 1950s song, this is very much of its era in
> this chart.

Indeed there's a fair amount of revival going on in the chart. And
obviously The Lambrettas is an extremely 1979-80 band name.

>> 13. (16) Rush Spirit Of Radio
>
> Prog rock was on its way out of the charts by this point.

To the extent it was ever in them.

> But it didn't
> go down without a fight.

I suppose Rush were able to prosper (outside Canada) at this point
because they crossed over to the prog and hard-rock audiences?
Obviously this particular song was able to flatter its way into airplay
more than anything else they ever did.

>> 14. (12) Gibson Brothers Cuba/Better Do It Salsa
>
> Another double A that really should have been an A and a B. The real A
> side is a classic of the era, and an all-time classic of its genre.

I think 'Cuba' had been released on its own already, hadn't it?

>> 15. (13) The Beat Hands Off...She's Mine
>
> Good example of early 2-tone.

I suppose in terms of how long 2-Tone operated it is early, but I think
of it as the label already quite established.

>> 16. (11) The Police So Lonely
>
> Often misheard as "Sue Lawley".

Sometimes misheard as "not annoying".

>> 17. (26) Squeeze Another Nail In My Heart
>
> Not one of their better-remembered songs.

Well it should be.

>> 18. (7) Blondie Atomic
>
> All-time classic. This is one of the songs that defines the 80s. More
> recently, it got me a shout-out on Absolute Radio.
>
> https://twitter.com/MarkGoodge/status/1236413297068515328

Although the song isn't mentioned directly in the tweet.

>> 19. (29) Barbara Dickson January February
>
> A song that sounds like it's a show tune, but actually isn't.

I suppose that what you'd associate with Barbara Dickson. Not sure how
it would fit into a storyline though?

>> 20. (40) UB40 King/Food For Thought
>
> See earlier comments about double-A records.

Except that in this case the better known song is the AA side.

>> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
>
> Mildly bizarre. But then again, that was their ouevre.

Even though some of their best known hits were covers.

>> 23. (25) Genesis Turn it On Again
>
> Back in the days when Genesis were cool.

Were they?
I mean, I love this song but surely the prog fans were already losing
patience.

>> 28. (45) B.A. Robertson Kool in The Kaftan
>
> One of my favourite songs at the time. It hasn't aged particularly well.
> But I still like listening to it every now and then.

I find it confusing that he's getting angry at hippies in 1980.
Although today, Bob Dylan has released a new song about the Kennedy
assassination so who knows?

>> 35. (46) The Monkees The Monkees EP
>> [I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
>> Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
>
> For a band invented for a TV series, they had some surprisingly good
> songs. But then, so did The Rutles.

And they were both trying to pastiche the Beatles.

>> 39. (18) Kenny Rogers Coward of The County
>
> Classic of its genre.

Violence?

>> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
>
> Classic of the era. Probably their best track, although not their most
> successful.

I think I might actually agree.

>> 46. (19) Cliff Richard Carrie
>
> Good song.

Perhaps surprisingly I also agree.

>> 47. (39) Jon Pertwee Worzel's Song
>
> There's always room for a bit of novelty.

Except on Spotify, which doesn't have this track. It does have the
soundtrack to the Worzel Gummidge musical though.

>> 48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You
>
> Classic of its genre.

Definitely. And that odd whistly solo is great too.

>> 62. (37) The Tourists So Good To Be Back Home Again
>
> Good song. Who knows what they might have acheived had they not split
> up, eh.

Heh.
Of course the irony is that Stewart and Lennox weren't the main
songwriters in the Tourists.

>> 64. (44) Keith Michell Captain Beaky/Wilfred The Weasel
>
> It was kind of funny at the time. Actually, it's mildly amusing now...

Yeah, I got to hear it when I was an actual child.

>> 71. (64) The Specials - The Special AKA Live! EP
>> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
>> De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]
>
> The lead track is an all-time classic. But the entire EP is, somewhat
> unusually, all classics of the era.

Even though most of them were originally written in a slightly different
era.

>> 72. (70) The Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing
>
> Very much of its era. Without being a classic of it.

I broadly agree but it is a song that everyone knows at least. Indeed
probably the only Nolans song a lot of people know.

>> 74. (NE) Keith Michell The Trial of Hissing Sid
>
> ...but you can milk it too far.

Yeah, I don't remember this one as well.

>> 75. (NE) Stevie Wonder Outside My Window
>
> Bland.

Who knew a song about plants could be dull?

Chris

Chris Brown

Mar 27, 2020, 8:13:28 PM3/27/20
On 24/03/2020 07:08, Vidcapper wrote:
> On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
>>
>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>>
>> 1.   (1) The Jam    Going Underground / Dreams of Children
>
> Has anyone but hardcore fans ever even heard the latter? :P

Given the number of compilations that have been culled from their
career, the answer is presumably yes, but I don't think it's been played
on the radio much. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that there's
a video.

>> 5.   (8) Detroit Spinners    Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl
>
>> 9.   (6) Peter Gabriel    Games Without Frontiers
>> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins    Echo Beach
>
>> 15. (13) The Beat    Hands Off...She's Mine
>
>> 18.  (7) Blondie    Atomic
>
>> 26. (24) Shakin' Stevens    Hot Dog

This is one I don't really know well, though I obviously have heard it.

>> 35. (46) The Monkees    The Monkees EP
>> [I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
>> Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
>
>> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners    Geno
>
>> 48. (21) Michael Jackson    Rock With You
>
>> 62. (37) The Tourists    So Good To Be Back Home Again
>
>> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
>> De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]
>
>> 72. (70) The Nolans    I'm In The Mood For Dancing
>>

> I only know some of the songs on each EP.

It occurs to me that you're in a bit of a generation gap with the
Monkees - too young to have been a fan at the time but not young enough
for your parents to have been fans.

Anyway, I'm going to find the songs with other charting/familiar versions:

1. (1) The Jam Going Underground
5. (8) Detroit Spinners Working My Way Back To You
10. (15) Martha And The Muffins Echo Beach
12. (27) Lambrettas Poison Ivy
18. (7) Blondie Atomic
35. (46) The Monkees Daydream Believer
44. (33) David Bowie Alabama Song
53. (32) The Shadows Riders In The Sky
55. (22) Elvis Costello and The Attractions I Can't Stand Up For Falling
Down
65. (67) Angelic Upstarts We Gotta Get Out of This Place
67. (NE) Harry J All-Stars/The Pioneers Liquidator/Long Shot Kick De Bucket
71. (64) The Specials
Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick De Bucket-Liquidator
73. (53) Dave Edmunds Singing The Blues

I presume lots of people do covers of Take That Look Off Your Face on
showtunes albums, but I couldn't name one.

And a couple of songs that were sampled:
4. (5) Liquid Gold Dance Yourself Dizzy
21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House

Chris

Chris Brown

Mar 27, 2020, 8:50:30 PM3/27/20
On 24/03/2020 20:13, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased
>> show up.
>>
>> Spotify playlist here:
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>

>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>
>> 6.   (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face
>
> The original Emma, and an absolute belter of a track.

I presume from the context that's the name of the character then? Even
though I own this single I never actually checked.

>> 11. (14) The Brothers Johnson Stomp
>
> As others have pointed out, written by the Grimsby genius.  His
> biography is a good read for any fans.

I didn't know there was one.

>  A very modest man who lived most
> of his adult life in a modest flat in Germany, and had one of the
> longest marriages in showbusiness.  Sadly the only immodest thing was
> his tobacco habit.

Sad but I suppose there are worse vices.

>> 18.  (7) Blondie Atomic
>
> One of the favourite songs of my partner

I don't think my wife likes Blondie at all, but fortunately I'm not that
big a fan either.

>> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees Happy House
>
> Have seen the intro for this used as a music bed for 'creepy' or
> 'supernatural' so many times...

I'm sure it's what they would have wanted.

>> 33. (17) The Whispers And The Beat Goes On
>
> Damn good track

Quite reassuring, even if I keep expecting Will Smith to start singing
about Miami.

>> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
>
> He had a big following in the east, played the small town I work in
> (Dereham NR19) about 15yrs ago.

Whereas the Geno Washington concert that supposedly inspired this song
was in Wealdstone, which is where I worked 15 years ago.

>> 46. (19) Cliff Richard Carrie
>
> Not a Cliff fan but like this.

It's a bit of an outlier in his discography. And in BA Robertson's really.

> A former colleague's church friend is
> his niece.  When she got married, he lent her his car, chauffeur on the
> day, one of his houses for the honeymoon, and when they came back their
> kitchen had been redone.

I hope they liked it.

>> 48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You
>
> Another Rod Temperton track.

Yeah and one of his best.

>> 53. (32) The Shadows Riders In The Sky
>
> Murderously bad version of one of my favourite songs.  Particularly that
> awful key change!

Seems like they're trying too hard to be too many things, and yet
somehow it's also bland.

>> 73. (53) Dave Edmunds Singing The Blues
>
> For me, he never again touched the heights he hit with Love Sculpture.
> Is this the 50s classic covered?

Exactly that.

>> 64. (44) Keith Michell Captain Beaky/Wilfred The Weasel
>> 74. (NE) Keith Michell The Trial of Hissing Sid
>
> He managed more than one hit out of Captain Beaky?

If you count Number 53 as a hit, yes.

Chris

Vidcapper

Mar 28, 2020, 2:47:39 AM3/28/20
On 28/03/2020 00:13, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 24/03/2020 07:08, Vidcapper wrote:

>>> 35. (46) The Monkees The Monkees EP
>>> [I'm A Believer; Daydream Believer; Last Train To Clarksville; A Little
>>> Bit Me, A Little Bit You]
>>
>>> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners Geno
>>
>>> 48. (21) Michael Jackson Rock With You
>>
>>> 62. (37) The Tourists So Good To Be Back Home Again
>>
>>> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot Kick
>>> De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]
>>
>>> 72. (70) The Nolans I'm In The Mood For Dancing
>>>

>> I only know some of the songs on each EP.
>
> It occurs to me that you're in a bit of a generation gap with the
> Monkees - too young to have been a fan at the time but not young enough
> for your parents to have been fans.

iro the Monkees - the TV show was shown regularly in the 70's, that's
when I watched it.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

James Heaton

Mar 28, 2020, 8:24:21 AM3/28/20

> On 24/03/2020 20:13, James Heaton wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased show
>>> up.
>>>
>>> Spotify playlist here:
>>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>>
>>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>>
>>> 6. (3) Marti Webb Take That Look off Your Face
>>
>> The original Emma, and an absolute belter of a track.
>
> I presume from the context that's the name of the character then? Even
> though I own this single I never actually checked.

It's a one woman show, she is sometimes credited as 'the girl' but is
officially Emma

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Man-Temperton-Thriller-Songwriter/dp/075098256X

>> A very modest man who lived most of his adult life in a modest flat in
>> Germany, and had one of the longest marriages in showbusiness. Sadly the
>> only immodest thing was his tobacco habit.
>
> Sad but I suppose there are worse vices.

Commented as 'sadly' because it was smoking related cancer that killed him
rather young

James

Robbie

Mar 28, 2020, 9:06:47 AM3/28/20
Yes, it was a staple of Saturday morning TV for a number of years.

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Apr 1, 2020, 6:55:39 PM4/1/20
On 01/04/2020 23:36, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 28/03/2020 06:47, Vidcapper wrote:

>>> It occurs to me that you're in a  bit of a generation gap with the
>>> Monkees - too young to have been a fan at the time but not young enough
>>> for your parents to have been fans.
>>
>> iro the Monkees - the TV show was shown regularly in the 70's, that's
>> when I watched it.

Yeah, I knew it had been repeated, but I had my Mum playing the Greatest
Hits CD repeatedly so I know a lot more of the songs (including those 4)

Chris

James Heaton

Apr 3, 2020, 4:39:25 PM4/3/20

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Sat teatime in the mid 80s for me

Plus Mum used to sing Daydream Believer to me when I was a kid. Morningtown
Ride was her other favourite to sing to me as a youngster.

Apparently she'd been quite a good singer in local bands.

James

Chris Brown

Apr 5, 2020, 6:54:33 PM4/5/20
On 28/03/2020 12:09, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 24/03/2020 20:13, James Heaton wrote:
>>>
>>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> The original Emma, and an absolute belter of a track.
>>
>> I presume from the context that's the name of the character then? Even
>> though I own this single I never actually checked.
>
> It's a one woman show, she is sometimes credited as 'the girl' but is
> officially Emma

>>> As others have pointed out, written by the Grimsby genius.  His
>>> biography is a good read for any fans.
>>
>> I didn't know there was one.
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Man-Temperton-Thriller-Songwriter/dp/075098256X

I might try and get that when the shops are open again.

>>>  A very modest man who lived most of his adult life in a modest flat
>>> in Germany, and had one of the longest marriages in showbusiness.
>>> Sadly the only immodest thing was his tobacco habit.
>>
>> Sad but I suppose there are worse vices.
>
> Commented as 'sadly' because it was smoking related cancer that killed
> him rather young

Understood.
I just mean that compared to the harm some rock star behaviour does to
others...

Chris

Chris Brown

Apr 11, 2020, 10:32:31 AM4/11/20
On 24/03/2020 08:35, Robbie wrote:
> On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased
>> show up.
>>
>> Spotify playlist here:
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>

>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>
> A week earlier and you would have posted the chart from my 16th
> birthday. Yikes at it being from 40 years ago.

Happy (now very belated!) birthday.
I think I actually did post that chart when it was only about 30 years ago.

> Record Mirror:
> https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Record-Mirror/80s/80/Record-Mirror-1980-03-29.pdf
>

>> 1.   (1) The Jam    Going Underground / Dreams of Children
>
> Still my all time favourite single. I had the double pack version. This
> single entering the charts at number 1 was a major talking poiunt as it
> was the first time it had happened in over 6 years (back to 'Merry Xmas
> Everybody' by Slade, in December 1973. Like The Jam they were on Polydor
> Records).

Presumably other labels weren't interested in trying to do so yet?
I do remember (possibly from your previous posts in fact) that there was
quite an unusual effort made to enforce the release date.

>> 2.   (2) Fern Kinney    Together We Are Beautiful
>
> Hurrah for The Jam knocking this awful song from the top.

The best I can say for it is that there's a nice organ overdub.
Anyone who's reading this and uses Twitter might still have time to vote
against it in this poll:
https://twitter.com/tvcream/status/1248916849410138112?s=20

>> 3.   (4) The Vapors    Turning Japanese
>
> Bruce Foxton and I think paul Weller's dad had some connection with
> these.

Yes, they were supposedly the managers. John Weller was of course also
The Jam's manager, and stayed on through the Style Council and solo
years until his health failed him.

Also in the poll BTW:
https://twitter.com/tvcream/status/1248916156628512768?s=20

> Good song. The lead singer is now a lawyer and is, or was the
> last time I checked, working for one of the music industry trade bodies.

Apparently there's a new Vapors album coming this year too.

>> 4.   (5) Liquid Gold    Dance Yourself Dizzy
>
> Silly record. Awful song. My mum bought this one.

My hot take is that after years of disco being ignored by the critical
establishment, it's now taken a bit too earnestly so it's good to hear
some silly disco now and then.

>> 5.   (8) Detroit Spinners    Working My Way Back To You-Forgive Me Girl
>
> I owned this on 12". It sounded dated even then, like something from
> three or four years earlier.

I guess it belongs in the time when veteran soul acts were moving into
pseudo-disco and of course the song is even older.

>> 6.   (3) Marti Webb    Take That Look off Your Face
>
> Show tune I believe. Well structered song but not my thing.

It's not usually my thing but I like it.

>> 7.   (9) Rainbow    All Night Long
>
> I quite liked this one but some of the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

"You're sorta young, but you're over age"
Erm...

>> 8.  (10) Captain And Tennile    Do That To Me One More Time
>
> The Captain is no longer with us. Saccharine, to say the least.

Yeah, his best work was with the Beach Boys.

>> 9.   (6) Peter Gabriel    Games Without Frontiers
>
> The big question at the time was "does Kater Bush sing on this one". For
> some reason it was never really confirmed at the time.

I wonder whether there was some contractual issue with EMI? I think she
was credited in the small print of the album cover.

> But yes she does,
> and it's a classic song.

It is.

>> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins    Echo Beach
>
> Great single.

Spending your time at work seems like a long time ago.

>> 11. (14) The Brothers Johnson    Stomp
>
> Owned this on 12". Co-written by Rod "Grimsby" Temperton. Rod started
> life working in a fish packaging factory in Grimsby before joining
> Heatwave then working with Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson and many
> others. Quite a "rags to riches" story.Sadly also another no longer with
> us.

Neither is one of the Brothers.

>> 12. (27) Lambrettas    Poison Ivy
>
> I enjoyed this at the time, it was quite quirky. Doesn't sound that good
> these days.

Better than their version of 'Somebody To Love' though.

>> 13. (16) Rush    Spirit Of Radio
>
> I always liked the 12" / album version of this.

Seems to be the only version you can hear now.

>> 14. (12) Gibson Brothers    Cuba/Better Do It Salsa
>
> Had this one on 7". Great song ('Cuba') though again the lead singer
> could do with a packet of Strepsils.

Sadly one of the Gibson Brothers has also died since I posted this chart.

>> 15. (13) The Beat    Hands Off...She's Mine
>
> Bought this on 7". Like many of those ska records from this era it
> sounds very much of its time though it was enjoyable at the time.

I agree. I don't think this their best single.

>> 16. (11) The Police    So Lonely
>
> "Sue Lawley" etc. Sting's voice sounded annoying on this one back then.
> The single had originally been released in 1978.

A&M were obviously very determined to make The Police stars.

>> 17. (26) Squeeze    Another Nail In My Heart
>
> Another brilliant Squeeze single.

The first of their surprisingly few hits in the 80s.

>> 18.  (7) Blondie    Atomic
>
> The album / 12" version is far better than the 7" version which misses
> out the best bits (the "Three Blind Mice" intro and the long middle
> section).

I always thought the actual song was the weakest thing about this
record, compared to the sound, riff etc.

>> 19. (29) Barbara Dickson    January February
>
> A big radio hit at the time. This and 'Caravan Song' must have been two
> of the most played songs on my local ILR station in 1980.

I don't know whether there's really a career path for singers like
Barbara Dickson any more.

>> 20. (40) UB40    King/Food For Thought
>
> Owned on 7". Excellent single.

I actually have the 7", because I bought a copy of the album and it was
in the sleeve.

>> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees    Happy House
>
> Owned on 7" as well. A great single, the first to feature John McGeoch
> who apparently improvised the guitar intro to the song at his audition.

I'm not surprised he passed.

>> 22. (20) Stiff Little Fingers    At The Edge
>
> The lead singer, despite being from Nothern Irelnd, is the second
> Newcastle United fan we've encountered so far. I'm sure the other is
> pretty obvious. Decent song with what can only be described as venemous
> vocals.

I hadn't really thought about it but it seems like a lot of people from
NI support an English team.

>> 23. (25) Genesis    Turn it On Again
>
> Genesis had already softened and AOR's their sound but this was probably
> the last top 40 hit they had before becoming a full on Phil Collins +
> backing band act.

IIRC this is their last Top 40 single before 'In The Air Tonight',
whereafter he got more involved in songwriting for the band.

>> 24. (31) The Bodysnatchers    Let's Do Rocksteady
>
> Bought this on 7" too. I didn't really care much for it then but at the
> time I was buying every 2 Tone records release.

It's possibly more enthusiastic than inspired.

>> 27. (28) Secret Affair    My World
>
> God single, well produced.

Well, you wouldn't want it any other way, etc.

>> 32. (NE) John Foxx    No-One Driving
>
> Beating his former band to the top 40.

Good point - like Peter Gabriel and Genesis, they seemed more saleable
separately (albit that Foxx was actually replaced).

>> 39. (18) Kenny Rogers    Coward of The County
>
> My mother loved this single, enough to ask me to buy it as a Mother's
> Day present for her. Strange choice, lyrically.

Very and yet that seems to be the lure of country music.

>> 40. (61) Dexys Midnight Runners    Geno
>
> A bit more tolerable than 'Come On Eileen' these days.

Certainly less overplayed.

>> 46. (19) Cliff Richard    Carrie
>
> One of Cliff's best singles, co-written by BA Robertson no less.

Seems a little out of character for both of them. And not only because
it's so good.

>> 51. (NE) Selecter    Missing Words
>
> Another I bought. This is a great song.

One of the better Two-Tone signings.

>> 71. (64) The Specials - The Special AKA Live! EP
>> [Too Much Too Young; Guns Of Navarone; Skinhead Symphony: Longshot
>> Kick De Bucket-Liquidator-Skinhead Moonstomp]
>
> Needless to say I bought this one.

Of course.

>> 72. (70) The Nolans    I'm In The Mood For Dancing
>
> Another my mother bought to add to the horror of the other two from this
> chart.

At least it has some sort of novelty value I suppose?

Chris

Robbie

Apr 11, 2020, 6:16:29 PM4/11/20
On 11/04/2020 15:32, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 24/03/2020 08:35, Robbie wrote:
>> On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
>>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased
>>> show up.
>>>
>>> Spotify playlist here:
>>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>>

>>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>>
>> A week earlier and you would have posted the chart from my 16th
>> birthday. Yikes at it being from 40 years ago.
>
> Happy (now very belated!) birthday.
> I think I actually did post that chart when it was only about 30 years ago.

yes, it's over 3 weeks ago. Memnorbale now for the day all the pubs were
ordered to close. I'd not been out for nearly two months but decided to
go out as I thought it might be the last chance to buy a pint for
several months. And I was right. Well, the pubs are still shut. Even so
i didn't take a chance in mixing with any of the family for the next 7
days in case I'd picked up coronavirus. Fingers crossed that hasn't
happened (yet).

I had begin to wonder if my posts were getting through due to the lack
of responses! I did wonder if because I was including the link below if
the posts were being caught in some sort of spam trap.

>> Record Mirror:
>> https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Record-Mirror/80s/80/Record-Mirror-1980-03-29.pdf
>>

>>> 1.   (1) The Jam    Going Underground / Dreams of Children
>>
>> Still my all time favourite single. I had the double pack version.
>> This single entering the charts at number 1 was a major talking poiunt
>> as it was the first time it had happened in over 6 years (back to
>> 'Merry Xmas Everybody' by Slade, in December 1973. Like The Jam they
>> were on Polydor Records).
>
> Presumably other labels weren't interested in trying to do so yet?
> I do remember (possibly from your previous posts in fact) that there was
> quite an unusual effort made to enforce the release date.

The release date was deliberately kept back to the Monday. My usual
record shop had the single in stock on the Saturday but the guy on the
singles counter apologised and said he weas under strict instructions
not to sell the single until the Monday.

I don't think labels as a whole were bothered about singles entering the
charts in a high position. Back then they seemed happy enough to promote
what was already in the chart and have new entries just enter low and
climb up the chart. Polydor seemed to want to buck the trend in 1980.
The embarrasing thing for them was that when The Jam did enter at the
top Polydor's own publicity blurb forgot about 'Merry Xmas Everybody'
being the last to enter at the top and they sent out a PR letter
claiming it was the first time since Gary Glitter's 'I Love You Love Me
Love' that a record had entered at the top (the single that was number 1
prior to Slade). Alan Jones had to put them right and it must have been
somewhat embarrasing for Polydor that they forgot it was one of their
acts that had last done so.

>>> 4.   (5) Liquid Gold    Dance Yourself Dizzy
>>
>> Silly record. Awful song. My mum bought this one.
>
> My hot take is that after years of disco being ignored by the critical
> establishment, it's now taken a bit too earnestly so it's good to hear
> some silly disco now and then.

They were strangely successful in the US despite being as British as
they come.

>>> 7.   (9) Rainbow    All Night Long
>>
>> I quite liked this one but some of the lyrics leave a lot to be desired.
>
> "You're sorta young, but you're over age"
> Erm...

Strangely that line didn't upset people at the time - this was back in
the days when men's magazines frequently had nude pictures of 16 year
olds in them and that was seen as totally acceptable. All illegal these
days of course. The line that caused the most outrage was "Don't know
about your brain but you look alright" which the assistant editor of
Record Mirror (Rosalind Russell) decried as incredibly sexist. Which of
course it is.

>>> 8.  (10) Captain And Tennile    Do That To Me One More Time
>>
>> The Captain is no longer with us. Saccharine, to say the least.
>
> Yeah, his best work was with the Beach Boys.

I didn't know he'd worked with the Beach Boys. Was he in one of those
session musician groups?

>>> 9.   (6) Peter Gabriel    Games Without Frontiers
>>
>> The big question at the time was "does Kater Bush sing on this one".
>> For some reason it was never really confirmed at the time.
>
> I wonder whether there was some contractual issue with EMI? I think she
> was credited in the small print of the album cover.
>
>> But yes she does, and it's a classic song.
>
> It is.

It's a song which seems to get better with age.

>>> 10. (15) Martha And The Muffins    Echo Beach
>>
>> Great single.
>
> Spending your time at work seems like a long time ago.

I've been watching a couple of Associates videos recently, the excellent
'Party Fears Tow' and 'Club Country' and the lovely Martha Ladly is in
both of them. Martha is now an academic at a Canadian university.

>>> 16. (11) The Police    So Lonely
>>
>> "Sue Lawley" etc. Sting's voice sounded annoying on this one back
>> then. The single had originally been released in 1978.
>
> A&M were obviously very determined to make The Police stars.

A&M were one of those labels that never gave up on an act. Even when it
landed them in trouble for alleged chart hyping...

>>> 17. (26) Squeeze    Another Nail In My Heart
>>
>> Another brilliant Squeeze single.
>
> The first of their surprisingly few hits in the 80s.

Their career was pretty much over, at least as a major chart force, by
1982. And another A&M act that may have benefitted from dubious chart
practices, like The Police, at least in both their early days.

>>> 19. (29) Barbara Dickson    January February
>>
>> A big radio hit at the time. This and 'Caravan Song' must have been
>> two of the most played songs on my local ILR station in 1980.
>
> I don't know whether there's really a career path for singers like
> Barbara Dickson any more.

In a way it's a bit sad that acts like Barbara Dickson no longer make
the chart. Their music wasn't alwasy great but it provided a bit of
variety. Plus the likes of BD would often be found on the sort of light
entertainment programmes that have long since gone from TV.

>>> 21. (23) Siouxsie And The Banshees    Happy House
>>
>> Owned on 7" as well. A great single, the first to feature John McGeoch
>> who apparently improvised the guitar intro to the song at his audition.
>
> I'm not surprised he passed.

It's 16 years last month since John died. The cause of his death has
never been revealed other than he died in his sleep. Siouxsie Sioux,
someone not given to making nice comments about people, said it broke
her heart when she had to sack John from the band because of his sdrink
and drug taking and it became apparent he didn't intend to do anything
about it. I'd imagine his lifestyle caught up with him in the end and
probably led to his death at the young age of 48.

>>> 22. (20) Stiff Little Fingers    At The Edge
>>
>> The lead singer, despite being from Nothern Irelnd, is the second
>> Newcastle United fan we've encountered so far. I'm sure the other is
>> pretty obvious. Decent song with what can only be described as
>> venemous vocals.
>
> I hadn't really thought about it but it seems like a lot of people from
> NI support an English team.

Usually it's Liverpool or Man Utd. But Jake's first wife is from
Newcastle and he lived up here for well over a decade. I think he worked
at Newcastle University for a while and could be found in one of the
bars in the Haymarket, an area in central Newcastle which was known for
its rock bars. He now lives in Chicago but still dons the black and
white shirt whenever Newcastle are playing (which like everything else
is currently not happening).

>>> 51. (NE) Selecter    Missing Words
>>
>> Another I bought. This is a great song.
>
> One of the better Two-Tone signings.

I wonder if lead singer Pauline Black still reads posts on usenet? Back
in the day she used to post on the old rec.music.misc (I think that was
its name) usenet group that I (and I think Paul) used to post at. It was
a long time ago though, around 2001 when a poster called Nigel Jones
posted a different chart each week from 1973 to about 1984 and would
post his thoughts on the charts as well as other posters like me - and
Pauline - joining in. I'd love to know what happened to him. He
announced in 2002 he was taking a break from usenet while the World Cup
was on and he would be back. He never returned. I emailed him in 2003
and got a reply some 6 months later where he said he would be back for
definite but by then that usenet group was dying and then I think Paul
made a request to start this news group. Maybe he came back and found
everyone had moved on!

>>> 72. (70) The Nolans    I'm In The Mood For Dancing
>>
>> Another my mother bought to add to the horror of the other two from
>> this chart.
>
> At least it has some sort of novelty value I suppose?

It's certainly fondly remembered - although not by me - by many people
of my generation.

--
------
Robbie

Rink

Sep 11, 2021, 4:55:39 PM9/11/21
Op 24-3-2020 om 9:35 schreef Robbie:
> On 23/03/2020 18:17, Chris Brown wrote:
>> We seem about due for another of these and I think the standard is
>> pretty high here. Also, a couple of major figures recently deceased
>> show up.
>>
>> Spotify playlist here:
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3LqJ1UJ2BJkvvUgbntSJTJ?si=TU3RAY8bSQy4bP1Onx32eA
>>

>> Chart Dated 29th March 1980
>
> A week earlier and you would have posted the chart from my 16th
> birthday. Yikes at it being from 40 years ago.
>
> Record Mirror:
> https://www.americanradiohistory.com/UK/Record-Mirror/80s/80/Record-Mirror-1980-03-29.pdf

But you posted the link to the Record Mirror with the message
that the Mi Amigo has sunk.....
On page 3

As we know now, it was the end of the Mi Amigo ship.
But not of Radio Mi Amigo and Radio Caroline.
They both came back with an own ship,

Rink