But he just kept right on posting old charts from 1996

Chris Brown

Jul 4, 2021, 7:49:52 AM7/4/21
For obvious reasons a lot of talk about 1996 lately so I’m cashing in with the chart from exactly a quarter century ago. As well as the obvious football references, there are also two songs charting twice in different versions and two different songs with very similar titles. Even two different acts with potentially confusing names.

Playlists are here. Do not attempt to imitate the dangerous behaviour in the Bluetones video.
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1oy9we0m7hJtej0gCAkqJK?si=5mo9eJIUQkWmz_95S9xdNw&dl_branch=1
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqiEke7dJ_ECadIGJaFaFFk

Chart dated 13th July 1996

1 (2) The Fugees - Killing Me Softly
2 (NE) Underworld - Born Slippy NUXX
3 (1) Baddiel Skinner Lightning Seeds - Three Lions
4 (3) Peter Andre ft Bubbler Ranx - Mysterious Girl
5 (5) Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me (Love Theme From "Up Close & Personal")
6 (NE) Belinda Carlisle - In Too Deep
7 (NE) Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
8 (NE) Todd Terry ft Martha Wash & Jocelyn Brown - Keep On Jumpin'
9 (8) Livin' Joy - Don't Stop Movin'
10 (NE) Sleeper - Nice Guy Eddie
11 (4) Kula Shaker - Tattva
12 (7) Reel 2 Real - Jazz It Up
13 (10) Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
14 (NE) The Saw Doctors - To Win Just Once
15 (9) Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives {1996 mix}
16 (15) Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows
17 (12) Everything But The Girl - Wrong
18 (NE) Super Furry Animals - Something 4 The Weekend
19 (6) Ash - Oh Yeah
20 (16) Ocean Colour Scene - The Day We Caught The Train
21 (27) Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen - Theme From Mission: Impossible
22 (NE) Def Leppard - Work It Out
23 (23) Space - Female Of The Species
24 (17) Simply Red - We're In This Together
25 (NE) Shampoo - Girl Power
26 (20) JX - There's Nothing I Won't Do
27 (18) Maxi Priest ft Shaggy - That Girl
28 (13) Bon Jovi - Hey God
29 (11) Black Grape, Joe Strummer & Keith Allen - England's Irie
30 (19) Pianoman - Blurred
31 (24) The Divine Comedy - Something For The Weekend
32 (21) Bizarre Inc - Surprise
33 (NE) The Cranberries - Free To Decide
34 (NE) A Tribe Called Quest - 1nce Again
35 (30) Gina G - Ooh Aah… Just A Little Bit
36 (22) Let Loose - Make It With You
37 (29) Louise - Naked
38 (25) Quentin & Ash - Tell Him
39 (14) Electronic - Forbidden City
40 (NE) Jann Arden - Insensitive

41 (NE) Latin Thing - Latin Thing
42 (NE) Morcheeba - Tape Loop
43 (NE) Dog Eat Dog - Isms
44 (34) George Michael - Fastlove
45 (35) Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack
46 (52) Los Del Mar - Macarena
47 (33) Robert Miles - Fable
48 (NE) Nikita Warren - I Need You
49 (38) Lighthouse Family - Ocean Drive
50 (39) Gabrielle - Forget About The World
51 (26) Queen - Let Me Live
52 (NE) Eagles - Love Will Keep Us Alive
53 (36) R Kelly - Thank God It's Friday
54 (NE) D.O.P. - Groovy Beat
55 (37) Longpigs - She Said
56 (28) Green Day - Brain Stew/Jaded
57 (31) Zee - Dreamtime
58 (32) Poltergeist - Vicious Circles
59 (40) Love Tribe - Stand Up
60 (NE) Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows
61 (NE) Livin' In This World/ Lifesaver
62 (45) Suggs with Louchie Lou & Michie One - Cecilia
63 (42) Crowded House - Instinct
64 (49) Backstreet Boys - Get Down (You're The One For Me)
65 (56) Bryan Adams - The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
66 (57) Tina Turner - On Silent Wings
67 (61) 1996 Man Utd FA Cup Squad - Move Move Move (The Red Tribe)
68 (NE) dEUS - Theme From Turnpike
69 (NE) Csilla - Man In The Moon
70 (55) Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
71 (47) Rod Stewart and Scotland Euro 96 Squad - Purple Heather
72 (67) Dodgy - In A Room
73 (68) The Prodigy - Firestarter
74 (RE) Los Del Rio - Macarena
75 (43) Upside Down - Never Found A Love Like This Before
76 (72) Mark Snow - The X Files
77 (41) Smooth - Undercover Lover
78 (90) Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded
79 (54) Scarlet - Bad Girl
80 (RE) 3T - 24/7
81 (75) Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us
82 (NE) Steve Earle & The V-Roys - Johnny Too Bad
83 (NE) The Frank & Walters - Indian Ocean
84 (50) Code Red - I Gave You Everything
85 (80) Gloria Estefan - Reach
86 (77) Lisa Marie Experience - Keep On Jumpin'
87 (87) Oasis - Whatever
88 (RE) Sting - You Still Touch Me
89 (RE) Black Grape - Fat Neck
90 (82) The Bluetones - Cut Some Rug/ Castle Rock
91 (NE) Trancesetters - The Search
92 (44) Mrs Wood ft Eve Gallagher - Heartbreak
93 (64) Empiron - Narcotic Influence
94 (NE) Naked Music NYC Presents Motivation - I'll Take You To Love
95 (86) Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
96 (RE) 2Pac ft Dr Dre - California Love
97 (85) Ash - Goldfinger
98 (NE) Kamasutra feat Stefan Frank - Storm In My Soul
99 (NE) Luciano Meets Jungle Brothers - Who Could It Be?
100 (89) King Crimson - Schizoid Man
[21st Century Schizoid Man (edit); (original version); (live 1969); (live 1972); (live 1974)]

Chris

James Heaton

Jul 5, 2021, 4:44:53 AM7/5/21

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> For obvious reasons a lot of talk about 1996 lately so I’m cashing in with
> the chart from exactly a quarter century ago. As well as the obvious
> football references, there are also two songs charting twice in different
> versions and two different songs with very similar titles. Even two
> different acts with potentially confusing names.
>
> Playlists are here. Do not attempt to imitate the dangerous behaviour in
> the Bluetones video.
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1oy9we0m7hJtej0gCAkqJK?si=5mo9eJIUQkWmz_95S9xdNw&dl_branch=1
> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqiEke7dJ_ECadIGJaFaFFk
>
> Chart dated 13th July 1996
>
> 2 (NE) Underworld - Born Slippy NUXX

Still am amazing sounding track. Associated with my limited number of
clubbing days, and of course that film.

> 3 (1) Baddiel Skinner Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

Well the euros were over by now in 96.

> 9 (8) Livin' Joy - Don't Stop Movin'

Both their big hits seemed to be good club night closers to fill your
dancefloor

> 23 (23) Space - Female Of The Species

Anyone buy the album? Not one for arachnophobes...

> 25 (NE) Shampoo - Girl Power

Screechy and aggressive, the ladette culture personified. Catchy though.

> 31 (24) The Divine Comedy - Something For The Weekend

Lyrically very clever.

> 45 (35) Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack

I seriously disliked this at the time, and 25yrs hasn't changed my thoughts.

> 47 (33) Robert Miles - Fable

Reminds me of something... oh yes his previous hit.

James

Mark Goodge

Jul 9, 2021, 4:19:07 PM7/9/21
On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 04:49:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris Brown
<extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For obvious reasons a lot of talk about 1996 lately so I’m cashing in with
>the chart from exactly a quarter century ago. As well as the obvious football
>references, there are also two songs charting twice in different versions and
>two different songs with very similar titles. Even two different acts with
>potentially confusing names.
>
>Playlists are here. Do not attempt to imitate the dangerous behaviour in the Bluetones video.
>https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/1oy9we0m7hJtej0gCAkqJK?si=5mo9eJIUQkWmz_95S9xdNw&dl_branch=1
>https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqiEke7dJ_ECadIGJaFaFFk
>
>Chart dated 13th July 1996

A lot of good stuff in here. This was a few months after I'd started a
new job, so for the first time in a while I was regularly listening to
the radio in the car on the way to and from work. So I remember most of
these, if only vaguely in some cases.

I've seen one act in this chart play live, one act play live as part of
another act, and one member of one act live in a non-musical context.

>1 (2) The Fugees - Killing Me Softly

Very big at the time. Not really my scene, but I can see why it was so
popular.

>2 (NE) Underworld - Born Slippy NUXX

Huge at the time, and one of my favourites at the time. Like a lot of
people, I first encountered it as part of the soundtrack to one of the
decade's classic movies. Which reminds me, I still haven't got round to
watching T2.

>3 (1) Baddiel Skinner Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

Still the best football song ever written. And, despite the various
updates in the years since, still the best version. Although maybe, just
maybe, we'll need a new version by the end of Sunday evening. All those
years of hurt have never stopped me dreaming.

>4 (3) Peter Andre ft Bubbler Ranx - Mysterious Girl

Meh.

>5 (5) Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me (Love Theme From "Up Close & Personal")

Bland.

>6 (NE) Belinda Carlisle - In Too Deep

Moderately OK. I sort of liked this at the time.

>7 (NE) Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High

Not particularly memorable.

>8 (NE) Todd Terry ft Martha Wash & Jocelyn Brown - Keep On Jumpin'

Nor is this.

>9 (8) Livin' Joy - Don't Stop Movin'

Or this.

>10 (NE) Sleeper - Nice Guy Eddie

I quite liked this at the time.

>20 (16) Ocean Colour Scene - The Day We Caught The Train

Good song. Bit Beatlesish. Recently on the Absolute Radio iPod.

>21 (27) Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen - Theme From Mission: Impossible

Good reworking of a classic theme tune. The movie was good enough.

>23 (23) Space - Female Of The Species

Slightly odd song. I suspect that most people remember it from the
perfume advert.

>35 (30) Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit

Classic of the era. It may not be fashionable to admit it, but I
actually quite like this.

>45 (35) Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack

Would have been better if he'd stayed away, to be honest.

>46 (52) Los Del Mar - Macarena

It's mildly bizarre that there were not only two versions of the same
novelty song in the chart, but by two acts with very similar names.

>47 (33) Robert Miles - Fable

Probably the third best known song from the album, this is, nonetheless,
a good song. But it does work better in the context of the album than as
a single. Speaking of the album, it was, and still is, one of my
all-time favourites.

>49 (38) Lighthouse Family - Ocean Drive

Classic of the era.

>70 (55) Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's

As is this.

>71 (47) Rod Stewart and Scotland Euro 96 Squad - Purple Heather

Not as successful as Three Lions, either in the charts, on the pitch or
in terms of a musical legacy.

>73 (68) The Prodigy - Firestarter

All time classic.

>74 (RE) Los Del Rio - Macarena

It's mildly bizarre that there were not only two versions of the same
novelty song in the chart, but by two acts with very similar names.

I've got a strange sense of deja vu.

>76 (72) Mark Snow - The X Files

It's not unusual for theme tunes to chart, but this isn't really a
typical chart version of a theme tune. Although I suspect that the
single was selling at least partly on the basis of the B-side remixes,
which are more dance-orientated.

>87 (87) Oasis - Whatever

Noel Gallagher does seem to have a penchant for "borrowing" other
people's songs. After "Shakermaker", which ripped off "I'd Like to Teach
the World to Sing", this was later found to have lifted a key motif from
"How Sweet to be an Idiot" by Neil Innes.

>95 (86) Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

And this, of course, is just an entire song of John Lennon tropes.

The funny thing is, he still seems to be at it:

https://twitter.com/MarkGoodge/status/1402692751997743107

Mark

vidcapper

Jul 11, 2021, 1:57:18 AM7/11/21
On Friday, 9 July 2021 at 21:19:07 UTC+1, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 04:49:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris Brown
> <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Chart dated 13th July 1996

1 (2) The Fugees - Killing Me Softly

3 (1) Baddiel Skinner Lightning Seeds - Three Lions
4 (3) Peter Andre ft Bubbler Ranx - Mysterious Girl

23 (23) Space - Female Of The Species

41 (NE) Latin Thing - Latin Thing

46 (52) Los Del Mar - Macarena

70 (55) Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's

95 (86) Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

As usual, very few I know from this era.