You said your body was young, but this 1996 chart is 17 years old

Chris Brown

Oct 11, 2015, 9:53:40 AM10/11/15
One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though its
inspiration was thirty years old. Unusually for a 1996 chart, there are
no Oasis singles featured but their influence is still visible/audible.
Includes two classic rock acts of the 1990s who were in different stages
of coping with the loss of an important member.

Playlists are here:
http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1394557175
https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6pM1w1Tgc4UTmrsEfek0G6
On the YouTube version I found the original 1996 promo for the single at
46 but I had to give up looking for the one at 92.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpqpx4AfOjj-ywP9v3SbzAw

Chart date: 12 October 1996

1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun
2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous
4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
5. (5) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam
7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week
8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not
9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter
10. (4) Dina Carroll Escaping
11. (NE) Jeremy Healy And Amos Stamp!
12. (NE) Damage Love II Love
13. (7) LL Cool J Loungin
14. (NE) Luther Vandross Your Secret Love
15. (8) Peter Andre Flava
16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe
17. (13) Clock Oh What A Night
18. (NE) Super Furry Animals If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You
19. (9) Phil Collins Dance Into The Light
20. (12) Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
21. (14) Stretch 'N' Vern Presents 'Maddog' I'm Alive
22. (15) Gabrielle If You Really Cared
23. (16) The Bluetones Marblehead Johnson
24. (NE) Runrig Rhythm Of My Heart
25. (11) CJ Bolland Sugar Is Sweeter
26. (21) OMC How Bizarre
27. (NE) Horace Brown Things We Do For Love
28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy
29. (27) George Michael Spinning The Wheel
30. (NE) Sarah Washington Everything
31. (23) Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy
32. (NE) Hyper Go-Go High {1996 remix - Rhythm Masters}
33. (19) Ocean Colour Scene The Circle
34. (NE) Third Dimension Don't Go ft Julie McDermott
35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena
36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}
37. (25) Daniel O'Donnell Footsteps
38. (20) Everything But The Girl Single
39. (22) Longpigs Lost Myself
40. (28) Belinda Carlisle Always Breaking My Heart
41. (39) Lighthouse Family Goodbye Heartbreak
42. (17) Sleeper Statuesque
43. (NE) AKA Warning
44. (30) Skunk Anansie All I Want
45. (NE) X-Press 2 Tranz Euro Xpress
46. (33) The Cardigans Lovefool
47. (NE) Trickbaby Indie-Yarn
48. (38) Metallica Hero Of The Day
49. (24) Reel 2 Real Are You Ready For Some More?
50. (36) Bone Thugs-N-Harmony Tha Crossroads
51. (35) Apollo 440 Krupa
52. (37) The Charlatans One To Another
53. (NE) Joe Cocker Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
54. (NE) Imperial Drag Boy Or A Girl
55. (NE) Man With No Name Teleport/Sugar Rush
56. (73) Gary Barlow Forever Love
57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes
58. (40) Morcheeba Trigger Hippie
59. (44) Kula Shaker Hey Dude
60. (39) DJ Supreme Tha Wild Style
61. (62) Fugees Killing Me Softly
62. (48) 3T Why ft Michael Jackson
63. (NE) Power Station She Can Rock It
64. (NE) Technohead Banana-Na-Na (Dumb Diddy Dumb)
65. (43) Suggs And Louchie Lou/Michie One No More Alcohol
66. (42) Space Me And You Versus The World
67. (65) Robbie Williams Freedom
68. (49) Way Out West The Gift ft Miss Joanna Law
69. (NE) Kerbdog Sally
70. (NE) Mr And Mrs Smith Gotta Get Loose
71. (NE) DJ Krush Only The Strong Survive
72. (51) Placebo Teenage Angst
73. (69) Eternal Someday
74. (66) Pet Shop Boys Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)
75. (58) Bryan Adams Let's Make It A Night To Remember

76. (34) Julian Cope Planetary Sit-In
77. (NE) Frente What's Come Over Me
78. (NE) Jools Holland & His R&B Orchestra Count To Ten
79. (NE) Kim Wilde Shame
80. (78) Mark Morrison Crazy
81. (RE) Paul Weller Peacock Suit
82. (53) Bitty McLean She's Alright
83. (64) Gina G Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit
84. (52) Fluffy Nothing
85. (92) Manic Street Preachers Everything Must Go
86. (47) Inner City Do Me Right
87. (50) Weezer El Scorcho
88. (76) Beth Orton She Cries Your Name
89. (99) Mariah Carey Always Be My Baby
90. (77) Dune Hand In Hand
91. (RE) Neneh Cherry Woman
92. (NE) Passion Passion
93. (NE) Dave Angel Timeless
94. (NE) Danny Tenaglia Oh No
95. (59) Butthole Surfers Pepper
96. (68) House Of Pain Fed Up
97. (RE) Tina Turner Missing You
98. (RE) Keith Sweat Twisted
99. (RE) The Charlatans Jesus Hairdo
100. (82) The Blue Nile Happiness

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 11, 2015, 10:55:34 AM10/11/15
On 11/10/2015 14:53, Chris Brown wrote:
> One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though

... I've never heard of it. :p

> Chart date: 12 October 1996
>
> 1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun

see above

> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's

OK

> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous

I think I've heard this one?

> 7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week

OK

> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe

I wish I *hadn't* heard this one. :)

> 35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena

I liked this one, and even remember it from the time!

> 46. (33) The Cardigans Lovefool

OK

> 61. (62) Fugees Killing Me Softly

Not keen on this.

> 83. (64) Gina G Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit

One of our better Eurovision entries.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Mark Goodge

Oct 11, 2015, 3:00:30 PM10/11/15
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:53:59 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though its
>inspiration was thirty years old. Unusually for a 1996 chart, there are
>no Oasis singles featured but their influence is still visible/audible.
>Includes two classic rock acts of the 1990s who were in different stages
>of coping with the loss of an important member.
>
>Playlists are here:
>http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1394557175
>https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6pM1w1Tgc4UTmrsEfek0G6
>On the YouTube version I found the original 1996 promo for the single at
>46 but I had to give up looking for the one at 92.
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpqpx4AfOjj-ywP9v3SbzAw
>
>Chart date: 12 October 1996

Very much of its time. Some definite 90s classics in here.

Possibly a little unusually, I haven't seen any of the acts in this chart
play live as such, although I have seen one act as a member of another act
(yes, this time I remembered that Phil Collins was also in Genesis!). But
only last week I was in a room in Manchester where I told the lead singer
of one of these acts that I disagree with him on the issue of the EU
Digital Single Market :-)

>1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun

Good song. Bit Prodigy-like, though.

>2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's

Very memorable song. One hit wonder, though.

>3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous

Not quite a one hit wonder, but very much an only remembered for one hit
wonder.

>4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now

Apparently, Meat Loaf was very annoyed that she got to record this song
before he did.

>5. (5) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever

Don't really remember this one.

>6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam

This is one of those songs that's a real "spirit of place" song for me.
But, somewhat bizarrely, the place it evokes is a supermarket in
Stoke-on-Trent.

>7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week

Bit bland.

>8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not

Enya threatened to sue them for using a sample without permission.

>9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter

Not one of their best, IMO.

>10. (4) Dina Carroll Escaping

Bland.

>16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe

Little did we know, eh.

>17. (13) Clock Oh What A Night

Uninteresting cover.

>24. (NE) Runrig Rhythm Of My Heart

Not their best.

>28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy

There are no words.

>31. (23) Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy

Good song. Recently on the Absolute Radio iPod.

>35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena

The song that everybody knows, but nobody admits to liking.

>36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}

Great song. If you'd predicted then that this band would provide the theme
to the 2012 Olympics, you'd have been laughed off the planet.

>46. (33) The Cardigans Lovefool

Another good song. Very reminiscent of the era.

>56. (73) Gary Barlow Forever Love

Back in the days when everyone expected that he, not Robbie Williams, would
have the most successful post-TT solo career.

>57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes

Not quite a one hit wonder. But might as well have been.

>67. (65) Robbie Williams Freedom

Back in the days when everyone expected that he wouldn't have as successful
a post-TT solo career as Gary Barlow :-)

>83. (64) Gina G Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit

Another of those songs that everyone knows, but wishes they didn't.

>85. (92) Manic Street Preachers Everything Must Go

One of their better songs.

>88. (76) Beth Orton She Cries Your Name

Very much of its time.

>96. (68) House Of Pain Fed Up

Another not-quite one hit wonder. But they did seem to only have one
musical idea. This wasn't the song in which it worked.

Mark
--
Insert random witticism here
http://www.markgoodge.com

Chris Brown

Oct 12, 2015, 4:54:49 PM10/12/15
On 11/10/2015 15:55, Vidcapper wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 14:53, Chris Brown wrote:
>> One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though
>
> ... I've never heard of it. :p

Well you can't get much more 90s than that!

>> Chart date: 12 October 1996
>>
>> 1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun
>
> see above
>
>> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
>
> OK

Vaguely surprised you've heard this one.

>> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous
>
> I think I've heard this one?

In theory, you'd know better than I would.

>> 7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week
>
> OK

Not really my thing.

>> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe
>
> I wish I *hadn't* heard this one. :)

Too many people on it who weren't Geri?

>> 35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena
>
> I liked this one, and even remember it from the time!

Yeah, it was one of those songs that crossed over to people who didn't
follow music. Or even like it.

>> 46. (33) The Cardigans Lovefool
>
> OK

First time around, before it was massively overplayed.

>> 61. (62) Fugees Killing Me Softly
>
> Not keen on this.

Thought you'd appreciate the lack of rapping though.

>> 83. (64) Gina G Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit
>
> One of our better Eurovision entries.

Sadly true.

Chris

Chris Brown

Oct 12, 2015, 6:15:34 PM10/12/15
On 11/10/2015 19:57, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:53:59 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
> typed:
>
>> One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though its
>> inspiration was thirty years old. Unusually for a 1996 chart, there are
>> no Oasis singles featured but their influence is still visible/audible.
>> Includes two classic rock acts of the 1990s who were in different stages
>> of coping with the loss of an important member.
>>
>> Playlists are here:
>> http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1394557175
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6pM1w1Tgc4UTmrsEfek0G6
>> On the YouTube version I found the original 1996 promo for the single at
>> 46 but I had to give up looking for the one at 92.
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpqpx4AfOjj-ywP9v3SbzAw
>>
>> Chart date: 12 October 1996
>
> Very much of its time. Some definite 90s classics in here.
>
> Possibly a little unusually, I haven't seen any of the acts in this chart
> play live as such, although I have seen one act as a member of another act
> (yes, this time I remembered that Phil Collins was also in Genesis!). But
> only last week I was in a room in Manchester where I told the lead singer
> of one of these acts that I disagree with him on the issue of the EU
> Digital Single Market :-)
>
>> 1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun
>
> Good song. Bit Prodigy-like, though.

More Beatles-like, surely?

>> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
>
> Very memorable song. One hit wonder, though.

Technically they did have another Top 40 hit. But it probably only got
there because this song was on the CD single.

>> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous
>
> Not quite a one hit wonder, but very much an only remembered for one hit
> wonder.

At least one too many.

>> 4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
>
> Apparently, Meat Loaf was very annoyed that she got to record this song
> before he did.

And she wasn't even the first.

>> 5. (5) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
>
> Don't really remember this one.

It seemed to be promoted here mainly on the novelty of a Welsh person
having a hit in the US.

>> 6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam
>
> This is one of those songs that's a real "spirit of place" song for me.
> But, somewhat bizarrely, the place it evokes is a supermarket in
> Stoke-on-Trent.

I've never been to Stoke-On-Trent, but my stereotype of it is very
similar to the mood evoked by this song. Sorry Stoke.

>> 7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week
>
> Bit bland.

Did it really take a fortnight to make?

>> 8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not
>
> Enya threatened to sue them for using a sample without permission.

Though it presumably got sorted out eventually.

>> 9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter
>
> Not one of their best, IMO.

I do like it, partly because it's such an unlikely hit.

>> 10. (4) Dina Carroll Escaping
>
> Bland.

But sounds like it's trying not to be in a very 1990s way.

>> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe
>
> Little did we know, eh.

...That it would be Number 34 in the physical singles chart this week in
2015?

>> 17. (13) Clock Oh What A Night
>
> Uninteresting cover.

Except that they've changed the title.

>> 24. (NE) Runrig Rhythm Of My Heart
>
> Not their best.

They have best?

>> 28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy
>
> There are no words.

If only there weren't.

>> 31. (23) Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy
>
> Good song. Recently on the Absolute Radio iPod.

Glad somebody else

>> 35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena
>
> The song that everybody knows, but nobody admits to liking.

Because they're all pretending they prefer the Los Del Mar version?

>> 36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}
>
> Great song. If you'd predicted then that this band would provide the theme
> to the 2012 Olympics, you'd have been laughed off the planet.

Unless you backed it up by pointing out that they were already doing a
lot of music for adverts and things under pseudonyms.

>> 46. (33) The Cardigans Lovefool
>
> Another good song. Very reminiscent of the era.

Though of course a bigger hit in 1997.

>> 56. (73) Gary Barlow Forever Love
>
> Back in the days when everyone expected that he, not Robbie Williams, would
> have the most successful post-TT solo career.

In fairness you can see why they thought that.

>> 57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes
>
> Not quite a one hit wonder. But might as well have been.

I recall the album as a series of identical songs with different intros.

>> 67. (65) Robbie Williams Freedom
>
> Back in the days when everyone expected that he wouldn't have as successful
> a post-TT solo career as Gary Barlow :-)

Perhaps he would have ended up working in that supermarket in Stoke.

>> 85. (92) Manic Street Preachers Everything Must Go
>
> One of their better songs.

Agreed.

>> 88. (76) Beth Orton She Cries Your Name
>
> Very much of its time.

Even though it wasn't a proper hit until the following year.

>> 96. (68) House Of Pain Fed Up
>
> Another not-quite one hit wonder. But they did seem to only have one
> musical idea. This wasn't the song in which it worked.

Maybe the samples were more important than what they did.

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 13, 2015, 2:22:30 AM10/13/15
On 12/10/2015 21:55, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Chart date: 12 October 1996

>>> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
>>
>> OK
>
> Vaguely surprised you've heard this one.

It was a staple on the oldie music channels for a long time

>>> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe
>>
>> I wish I *hadn't* heard this one. :)
>
> Too many people on it who weren't Geri?

No - because it's more annoying than fingernails on a blackboard! :)

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Mark Goodge

Oct 13, 2015, 3:06:05 AM10/13/15
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:15:55 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>On 11/10/2015 19:57, Mark Goodge wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:53:59 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
>> typed:
>>
>>> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous
>>
>> Not quite a one hit wonder, but very much an only remembered for one hit
>> wonder.
>
>At least one too many.

I wouldn't go quite that far.

>>> 4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
>>
>> Apparently, Meat Loaf was very annoyed that she got to record this song
>> before he did.
>
>And she wasn't even the first.

No, although the first wasn't a big hit.

>>> 6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam
>>
>> This is one of those songs that's a real "spirit of place" song for me.
>> But, somewhat bizarrely, the place it evokes is a supermarket in
>> Stoke-on-Trent.
>
>I've never been to Stoke-On-Trent, but my stereotype of it is very
>similar to the mood evoked by this song. Sorry Stoke.

What, even the bit about "everyone is blonde, and everyone is beautiful"?

>>> 8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not
>>
>> Enya threatened to sue them for using a sample without permission.
>
>Though it presumably got sorted out eventually.

Yes, it was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

>>> 36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}
>>
>> Great song. If you'd predicted then that this band would provide the theme
>> to the 2012 Olympics, you'd have been laughed off the planet.
>
>Unless you backed it up by pointing out that they were already doing a
>lot of music for adverts and things under pseudonyms.

Fair point. And, of course, if you'd said that Danny Boyle would be the
director, that's a lot less implausible.

>>> 56. (73) Gary Barlow Forever Love
>>
>> Back in the days when everyone expected that he, not Robbie Williams, would
>> have the most successful post-TT solo career.
>
>In fairness you can see why they thought that.

Well, the reason is that Barlow was generally agreed to be the best
songwriter in the band. But it's possibly as little naive to think that
being a good songwriter is the best qualification for a successful solo
career.

>>> 57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes
>>
>> Not quite a one hit wonder. But might as well have been.
>
>I recall the album as a series of identical songs with different intros.

Their entire output was essentially just the one song.

>>> 67. (65) Robbie Williams Freedom
>>
>> Back in the days when everyone expected that he wouldn't have as successful
>> a post-TT solo career as Gary Barlow :-)
>
>Perhaps he would have ended up working in that supermarket in Stoke.

Quite possibly, yes.

>> Very much of its time.
>
>Even though it wasn't a proper hit until the following year.

The second time around, it benefitted from the album containing it being
nominated for the Mercury Music Prize.

I actually have a copy of the 1997 Mercury Music Prize Nominations
compilation CD. As I recall, it came free with something else - completely
non-music related - that I bought. As well as Beth Orton, it contains two
other acts from this chart. Although I suppose that's fairly unremarkable.

Chris Brown

Oct 13, 2015, 5:29:51 PM10/13/15
On 13/10/2015 07:22, Vidcapper wrote:

>>> OK
>>
>> Vaguely surprised you've heard this one.
>
> It was a staple on the oldie music channels for a long time

That is in turn vaguely surprising. Though I suppose it didn't take them
long to decide which Deep Blue Something song to play.

>>> I wish I *hadn't* heard this one. :)
>>
>> Too many people on it who weren't Geri?
>
> No - because it's more annoying than fingernails on a blackboard! :)

Seems an odd song to pick on.

Chris

Chris Brown

Oct 13, 2015, 5:45:34 PM10/13/15
On 13/10/2015 08:02, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:15:55 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
> typed:
>
>> On 11/10/2015 19:57, Mark Goodge wrote:
>>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:53:59 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
>>> typed:

>>> Not quite a one hit wonder, but very much an only remembered for one hit
>>> wonder.
>>
>> At least one too many.
>
> I wouldn't go quite that far.

There are a couple of Babybird songs I like, actually, but this isn't
one of them.

>>> Apparently, Meat Loaf was very annoyed that she got to record this song
>>> before he did.
>>
>> And she wasn't even the first.
>
> No, although the first wasn't a big hit.

At least not in the US.

>>> This is one of those songs that's a real "spirit of place" song for me.
>>> But, somewhat bizarrely, the place it evokes is a supermarket in
>>> Stoke-on-Trent.
>>
>> I've never been to Stoke-On-Trent, but my stereotype of it is very
>> similar to the mood evoked by this song. Sorry Stoke.
>
> What, even the bit about "everyone is blonde, and everyone is beautiful"?

Some people probably are. But the song is about ennui, isn't it?

>>> Enya threatened to sue them for using a sample without permission.
>>
>> Though it presumably got sorted out eventually.
>
> Yes, it was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

And presumably subsequent uses of that sample have been cleared properly.

>>> Back in the days when everyone expected that he, not Robbie Williams, would
>>> have the most successful post-TT solo career.
>>
>> In fairness you can see why they thought that.
>
> Well, the reason is that Barlow was generally agreed to be the best
> songwriter in the band.

Or any boy band of the time, indeed. Whether you agree or not.
He was certainly the only member of Take That to have made significant
songwriting contributions to the band.

>But it's possibly as little naive to think that
> being a good songwriter is the best qualification for a successful solo
> career.

Indeed.

>>> Not quite a one hit wonder. But might as well have been.
>>
>> I recall the album as a series of identical songs with different intros.
>
> Their entire output was essentially just the one song.

Doubtless you remember their comeback single 'All The Money's Gone'.

>>> Very much of its time.
>>
>> Even though it wasn't a proper hit until the following year.
>
> The second time around, it benefitted from the album containing it being
> nominated for the Mercury Music Prize.

And from the increase in her profile after a few other hits.

> I actually have a copy of the 1997 Mercury Music Prize Nominations
> compilation CD.

I've never actually bought one of those, even though I sometimes look at
them.

> As I recall, it came free with something else - completely
> non-music related - that I bought.

Ah, you haven't bought that one either.

As well as Beth Orton, it contains two
> other acts from this chart.

Off the top of my head... Spice Girls and Chemical Brothers?

>Although I suppose that's fairly unremarkable.

In 1996/7, it was unremarkable.

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 14, 2015, 2:12:54 AM10/14/15
On 13/10/2015 22:30, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Too many people on it who weren't Geri?
>>
>> No - because it's more annoying than fingernails on a blackboard! :)
>
> Seems an odd song to pick on.

Well, there wouldn't be much point picking on one that *wasn't* in this
week's featured chart... :p

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Mark Goodge

Oct 14, 2015, 2:52:40 AM10/14/15
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:45:57 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>>> I've never been to Stoke-On-Trent, but my stereotype of it is very
>>> similar to the mood evoked by this song. Sorry Stoke.
>>
>> What, even the bit about "everyone is blonde, and everyone is beautiful"?
>
>Some people probably are. But the song is about ennui, isn't it?

Yes, but it's also about a bland samey-ness, which doesn't apply
particularly well to Stoke. Apart from its association with that one
supermarket, I've always felt it applied more to places like Basingstoke or
Peterborough.

>>> I recall the album as a series of identical songs with different intros.
>>
>> Their entire output was essentially just the one song.
>
>Doubtless you remember their comeback single 'All The Money's Gone'.

I can't say I remember it particularly well.

The NME review is priceless:
http://www.nme.com/reviews/babylon-zoo/598

See also this clip of Jas Mann on Brass Eye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3XgouVH9-Y

>> I actually have a copy of the 1997 Mercury Music Prize Nominations
>> compilation CD.
>
>I've never actually bought one of those, even though I sometimes look at
>them.
>
>> As I recall, it came free with something else - completely
>> non-music related - that I bought.
>
>Ah, you haven't bought that one either.

It's not a bad album. But it suffers, as does the Mercury Prize itself, for
being just a bit too eclectic.

>As well as Beth Orton, it contains two
>> other acts from this chart.
>
>Off the top of my head... Spice Girls and Chemical Brothers?

Yes, indeed.

Chris Brown

Oct 14, 2015, 6:11:35 PM10/14/15
I post them every week you know (assuming I get round to deciding which
one to post this week, of course).

Chris

Chris Brown

Oct 14, 2015, 6:41:04 PM10/14/15
On 14/10/2015 07:49, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:45:57 +0100, Chris Brown put finger to keyboard and
> typed:

>>> What, even the bit about "everyone is blonde, and everyone is beautiful"?
>>
>> Some people probably are. But the song is about ennui, isn't it?
>
> Yes, but it's also about a bland samey-ness, which doesn't apply
> particularly well to Stoke.

I think that's more a passing mention really.

>Apart from its association with that one
> supermarket, I've always felt it applied more to places like Basingstoke or
> Peterborough.

Or Rotterdam?
Actually, I think that's just where they wrote the song.

>>> Their entire output was essentially just the one song.
>>
>> Doubtless you remember their comeback single 'All The Money's Gone'.
>
> I can't say I remember it particularly well.

My brother bought a cheap promo copy of the album and played it quite a
bit. Although I don't remember the other songs, they were obviously less
memorable.

> The NME review is priceless:
> http://www.nme.com/reviews/babylon-zoo/598

I think I read that at the time.

I suppose it's hard to tell how seriously he really wanted to be taken.

>>> I actually have a copy of the 1997 Mercury Music Prize Nominations
>>> compilation CD.
>>
>> I've never actually bought one of those, even though I sometimes look at
>> them.
>>
>>> As I recall, it came free with something else - completely
>>> non-music related - that I bought.
>>
>> Ah, you haven't bought that one either.
>
> It's not a bad album. But it suffers, as does the Mercury Prize itself, for
> being just a bit too eclectic.

It's hard to imagine really listening to it.

>> As well as Beth Orton, it contains two
>>> other acts from this chart.
>>
>> Off the top of my head... Spice Girls and Chemical Brothers?
>
> Yes, indeed.

I remember Robbie 'Williams was also nominated, but his album came out
too late for the 1997 prize.

Chris

Robbie

Oct 15, 2015, 6:00:24 AM10/15/15
Chris Brown wrote:
> One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though its
> inspiration was thirty years old. Unusually for a 1996 chart, there are
> no Oasis singles featured but their influence is still visible/audible.
> Includes two classic rock acts of the 1990s who were in different stages
> of coping with the loss of an important member.

1996 wasn't a bad year for the charts but I prefer the two years either
side of it (especially 1995)

> Playlists are here:
> http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1394557175
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6pM1w1Tgc4UTmrsEfek0G6
> On the YouTube version I found the original 1996 promo for the single at
> 46 but I had to give up looking for the one at 92.
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpqpx4AfOjj-ywP9v3SbzAw
>
> Chart date: 12 October 1996
>
> 1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun

Good single. Features Noel Gallagher singing on something that was far
better than anything Oasis topped the charts with. And of course the
drum sequence is a complete rip-off of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by The
Beatles.

> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's

By 1996 most number 1 records were starting to enter the charts at
number 1 but this one had a perfect climb sequence of 3-2-1 after a
brief top 75 chart run some two months earlier. Decent single.

> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous

Unlike this one, which I've always disliked. I found it annoying then
and still do now.

> 4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now

Not too bad a record for a Celine Dion track. You can tell it's a Jim
Steinman song though.

Steinman has claimed that the song was inspired by the novel "Wuthering
Heights" which along with the Kate Bush song of that name makes it two
records that the novel inspired.

> 5. (5) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever

OK song and one which was a massive hit in the US. Again, by 1996 few
records were starting to climb up the charts, or at least climb much
further than the position the record entered the chart at, so this
record had something of an old fashioned chart climb of 34-20-11-9-5

> 6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam

Not very good. It seemed to me like their better days were behind them
by this point.

> 7. (3) BBE Seven Days And One Week

Excellent dance track and one I still listen to now and again.

> 8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not

OK

> 9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter

They were finally having massive success with a slightly more commercial
sound. This isn't their best from the period but it's still OK.

> 10. (4) Dina Carroll Escaping

Dull sounding song by someone who was making something of a return after
an almost 3 year break. That break seemed to lose her momentum and her
career never really recovered.

> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe

A bit old hat now but still a little bit of fun.

> 17. (13) Clock Oh What A Night

They were still churning out the dance cover versions and doing so in an
awful way.

> 19. (9) Phil Collins Dance Into The Light

His last top 10 hit. Bland.

> 20. (12) Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity

I still quite like the video to this one.

> 21. (14) Stretch 'N' Vern Presents 'Maddog' I'm Alive

Sampling 'Boogie Wonderland' and it's a decent club track.

> 26. (21) OMC How Bizarre

Another recordthat had a by then out of the norm chart climb.

> 28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy

I remember reading that Father Abraham was disappointed not to play a
part in the return of The Smurfs. After hearing this surely he must have
thanked his lucky stars he had nothing to do with this awful song.

> 35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena

Possibly the biggest dance record sensation of the year

> 36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}

And one of the best singles of the year.

> 57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes

They really struggled after 'Spaceman'

> 68. (49) Way Out West The Gift ft Miss Joanna Law

Good, trippy, club tune.

> 74. (66) Pet Shop Boys Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)

One of their better 90s songs. And even then I think it was an old track
either re-recorded or remixed.

--
Robbie

Chris Brown

Oct 15, 2015, 5:43:13 PM10/15/15
On 15/10/2015 11:00, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:
>> One of the landmark Number One singles of the era, even though its
>> inspiration was thirty years old. Unusually for a 1996 chart, there
>> are no Oasis singles featured but their influence is still
>> visible/audible. Includes two classic rock acts of the 1990s who were
>> in different stages of coping with the loss of an important member.
>
> 1996 wasn't a bad year for the charts but I prefer the two years either
> side of it (especially 1995)

I think you're probably right on that.

>> Playlists are here:
>> http://www.deezer.com/playlist/1394557175
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/6pM1w1Tgc4UTmrsEfek0G6
>> On the YouTube version I found the original 1996 promo for the single
>> at 46 but I had to give up looking for the one at 92.
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNpqpx4AfOjj-ywP9v3SbzAw
>>
>> Chart date: 12 October 1996
>>
>> 1. (NE) The Chemical Brothers Setting Sun
>
> Good single. Features Noel Gallagher singing on something that was far
> better than anything Oasis topped the charts with.

And better than any Oasis single he sang on IMO.

> And of course the
> drum sequence is a complete rip-off of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by The
> Beatles.

Indeed (as are other elements of the track). I don't think it's a
coincidence that they chose that particular backing track to hand to
Gallagher.

>> 2. (1) Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's
>
> By 1996 most number 1 records were starting to enter the charts at
> number 1 but this one had a perfect climb sequence of 3-2-1 after a
> brief top 75 chart run some two months earlier. Decent single.

Ironic that a song with the chorus "As I recall we both kind of liked
it" ended up being a song that many people vaguely recalled liking.

>> 3. (NE) Babybird You're Gorgeous
>
> Unlike this one, which I've always disliked. I found it annoying then
> and still do now.

I think the sense that he's trying to have joke at the listener's
expense makes it even worse.

>> 4. (6) Celine Dion It's All Coming Back To Me Now
>
> Not too bad a record for a Celine Dion track. You can tell it's a Jim
> Steinman song though.

You certainly can.

> Steinman has claimed that the song was inspired by the novel "Wuthering
> Heights" which along with the Kate Bush song of that name makes it two
> records that the novel inspired.

Plus that musical that Cliff Richard was in.

>> 5. (5) Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever
>
> OK song and one which was a massive hit in the US. Again, by 1996 few
> records were starting to climb up the charts, or at least climb much
> further than the position the record entered the chart at, so this
> record had something of an old fashioned chart climb of 34-20-11-9-5

I suppose it was hyped up by the US success.

>> 6. (NE) The Beautiful South Rotterdam
>
> Not very good. It seemed to me like their better days were behind them
> by this point.

Of course they were at rather a commercial peak but this was never one
of their more deserved hits.

>> 8. (2) Fugees Ready Or Not
>
> OK

Not as pointless as 'Killing Me Softly'.

>> 9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter
>
> They were finally having massive success with a slightly more commercial
> sound. This isn't their best from the period but it's still OK.

It's less overplayed than the other singles from this album.

>> 10. (4) Dina Carroll Escaping
>
> Dull sounding song by someone who was making something of a return after
> an almost 3 year break. That break seemed to lose her momentum and her
> career never really recovered.

Beyond this one single, which was a big hit but quickly forgotten.
Perhaps she was the 1990s John Newman.

>> 16. (10) Spice Girls Wannabe
>
> A bit old hat now but still a little bit of fun.

At least it has more character to it than most girl-group singles.

>> 17. (13) Clock Oh What A Night
>
> They were still churning out the dance cover versions and doing so in an
> awful way.

This one is almost so bad it's good.

>> 19. (9) Phil Collins Dance Into The Light
>
> His last top 10 hit. Bland.

Upbeat blandness.

>> 20. (12) Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
>
> I still quite like the video to this one.

It's clever but he is sort of annoying.

>> 21. (14) Stretch 'N' Vern Presents 'Maddog' I'm Alive
>
> Sampling 'Boogie Wonderland' and it's a decent club track.

I found it ridiculously annoying at the time. It's not really that bad.

>> 26. (21) OMC How Bizarre
>
> Another recordthat had a by then out of the norm chart climb.

People just couldn't believe it the first time?

>> 28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy
>
> I remember reading that Father Abraham was disappointed not to play a
> part in the return of The Smurfs. After hearing this surely he must have
> thanked his lucky stars he had nothing to do with this awful song.

I didn't realise he was still alive.

>> 35. (26) Los Del Rio Macarena
>
> Possibly the biggest dance record sensation of the year

Although I never did figure out how to do the actual dance.

>> 36. (31) Underworld Born Slippy {NUXX}
>
> And one of the best singles of the year.

Got boring after a while.

>> 57. (32) Babylon Zoo The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes
>
> They really struggled after 'Spaceman'

And even that possibly wasn't the song some people expected.

>> 68. (49) Way Out West The Gift ft Miss Joanna Law
>
> Good, trippy, club tune.

Looked really dull on TotP.

>> 74. (66) Pet Shop Boys Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)
>
> One of their better 90s songs. And even then I think it was an old track
> either re-recorded or remixed.

AFAIK it was a newly released song, though it may have been an old idea.

Chris

Robbie

Oct 15, 2015, 6:59:42 PM10/15/15
Chris Brown wrote:
> On 15/10/2015 11:00, Robbie wrote:
>> Chris Brown wrote:

>>> 9. (NE) Manic Street Preachers Kevin Carter
>>
>> They were finally having massive success with a slightly more commercial
>> sound. This isn't their best from the period but it's still OK.
>
> It's less overplayed than the other singles from this album.

For some reason XFM went through a phase a few years back of playing
this record more than any of their other singles. Perhaps it was just to
give listeners a rest from their other hit singles from this album.

>>> 28. (18) The Smurfs I've Got A Little Puppy
>>
>> I remember reading that Father Abraham was disappointed not to play a
>> part in the return of The Smurfs. After hearing this surely he must have
>> thanked his lucky stars he had nothing to do with this awful song.
>
> I didn't realise he was still alive.

Yup, he's still alive and turned 80 this year. Because he deliberately
dressed as though he was older (it was that beard), many people are
surprised by the fact that when 'The Smurf Song' was in the charts back
in summer 1978 he was only 43.

--
Robbie

Chris Brown

Oct 17, 2015, 5:39:22 PM10/17/15
On 15/10/2015 23:59, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:

>>> They were finally having massive success with a slightly more commercial
>>> sound. This isn't their best from the period but it's still OK.
>>
>> It's less overplayed than the other singles from this album.
>
> For some reason XFM went through a phase a few years back of playing
> this record more than any of their other singles. Perhaps it was just to
> give listeners a rest from their other hit singles from this album.

Possibly. I know that's how commercial radio likes to work.

>>> I remember reading that Father Abraham was disappointed not to play a
>>> part in the return of The Smurfs. After hearing this surely he must have
>>> thanked his lucky stars he had nothing to do with this awful song.
>>
>> I didn't realise he was still alive.
>
> Yup, he's still alive and turned 80 this year. Because he deliberately
> dressed as though he was older (it was that beard), many people are
> surprised by the fact that when 'The Smurf Song' was in the charts back
> in summer 1978 he was only 43.

I can add that to the list of things about the Smurfs that don't make
sense, then.

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 18, 2015, 2:18:43 AM10/18/15
On 15/10/2015 23:59, Robbie wrote:

> Yup, he's still alive and turned 80 this year. Because he deliberately
> dressed as though he was older (it was that beard), many people are
> surprised by the fact that when 'The Smurf Song' was in the charts back
> in summer 1978 he was only 43.

Rather like Clive Dunn as 'Corporal Jones' in Dad's Army, then...

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Rink

Aug 25, 2020, 6:41:04 PM8/25/20
Op 15-10-2015 om 0:41 schreef Chris Brown:
> On 14/10/2015 07:49, Mark Goodge wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:45, Chris Brown put finger to
>> keyboard and typed:

>>> Some people probably are. But the song is about ennui, isn't it?
>>
>> Yes, but it's also about a bland samey-ness, which doesn't apply
>> particularly well to Stoke.
>
> I think that's more a passing mention really.
>
>> Apart from its association with that one supermarket, I've always
>> felt it applied more to places like Basingstoke or Peterborough.
>
> Or Rotterdam? Actually, I think that's just where they wrote the
> song.

Paul Heaton told The Guardian, that he wrote the song
in a bar in Rotterdam (The Netherlands):

<https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/30/beautiful-south-how-we-made-rotterdam-or-anywhere>

But yes, that was in an article from march 2020 :-)

And Jacqui Abbott explains the "blond and beautiful" line.

Rink

Rink

Aug 25, 2020, 7:44:19 PM8/25/20
Op 15-10-2015 om 0:41 schreef Chris Brown:
> On 14/10/2015 07:49, Mark Goodge wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:45:57 +0100, Chris Brown put finger
>> to keyboard and typed:

>>> Doubtless you remember their comeback single 'All The Money's Gone'.
>>
>> I can't say I remember it particularly well.
>
> My brother bought a cheap promo copy of the album and played it quite a
> bit. Although I don't remember the other songs, they were obviously less
> memorable.

I found the album with the same name on YouTube and I think it's great !

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLWXkeehl8>

Want to play it on the speakers loud, but it's 1:30 AM, so not possible
for the neighbours.
How did I missed this album?

From the Dutch wikipedia I understood that there also is a second
album, which was not promoted by the artist as a protest to the record
company.
<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Zoo>

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SD73UtKJI&list=OLAK5uy_myNGmN1J5OV3pJroFH9CUhfughsTgvW_s&index=1>

Rink

Chris Brown

Aug 28, 2020, 3:04:06 PM8/28/20
Yeah, my brother borrowed the first album and then bought the second
one. A promotional copy, which was the only evidence of the album being
promoted at all really.

Chris

Rink

Sep 25, 2021, 4:45:51 AM9/25/21
Op 28-8-2020 om 21:04 schreef Chris Brown:
Somebody uploaded a live concert from Babylon Zoo.
It's a BBC World Service Radio CD.
I can't find which year.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8GCUofl5is>

I guess, I'm busy the next 50 minutes....

Rink