I’ll feel the emptiness in an old chart from 1989

Chris Brown

Jun 14, 2021, 3:03:55 AM6/14/21
Not exactly a topical chart, unless me reading a book about one of the acts recently counts as topical. Actually, someone in this chart has been in the news recently but not really for musical reasons.

Playlists are here:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/305dU3OZBcNadiXNBzGlMz?si=dsDBg0LaTUW2Avml0iw0Vg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrJj-kb2V66TcJO5ZgbtKkv

Chart dated 17 June 1989

1 (1) Jason Donovan - Sealed With A Kiss
2 (2) Cliff Richard - The Best Of Me
3 (12) Soul II Soul - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)
4 (6) Sinitta - Right Back Where We Started From
5 (5) Madonna - Express Yourself
6 (8) Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
7 (4) Natalie Cole - Miss You Like Crazy
8 (17) Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night
9 (10) Donna Summer - I Don't Wanna Get Hurt
10 (9) Neneh Cherry - Manchild
11 (23) The Beautiful South - Song For Whoever
12 (19) D Mob ft LRS - It Is Time To Get Funky
13 (7) Lynne Hamilton - On The Inside
14 (3) Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson & The Christians - Ferry Cross The Mersey
15 (25) Transvision Vamp - The Only One
16 (18) Double Trouble And The Rebel MC - Just Keep Rockin'
17 (22) Fuzzbox - Pink Sunshine
18 (11) Kylie Minogue - Hand On Your Heart
19 (16) Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina/On Fire
20 (33) Bananarama - Cruel Summer '89
21 (13) London Boys - Requiem
22 (38) Donna Allen - Joy And Pain
23 (14) Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
24 (26) Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
25 (15) Edelweiss - Bring Me Edelweiss
26 (20) Cappella - Helyom Halib (Acid Acid Acid)
27 (21) Sam Brown - Can I Get A Witness?
28 (39) R.E.M. - Orange Crush
29 (35) Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down
30 (48) Clannad ft Bono - In A Lifetime
31 (51) The Bangles - Be With You
32 (24) Roxette - The Look
33 (42) Placido Domingo and Jennifer Rush - Til I Loved You
34 (50) Karyn White - Superwoman
35 (44) Malcolm McLaren And The Bootzilla Orchestra - Waltz Darling
36 (36) Vixen - Love Made Me
37 (37) New Model Army - Green And Grey
38 (27) The Bangles - Eternal Flame
39 (52) Living In A Box - Gatecrashing
40 (58) Gladys Knight - Licence To Kill

41 (64) Enya - Storms In Africa (Part II)
42 (NE) Joyce Sims - Looking For A Love
43 (53) LL Cool J - I'm That Type Of Guy
44 (32) Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman {1989 remix}
45 (54) Waterfront - Cry
46 (29) W.A.S.P. - The Real Me
47 (28) Deacon Blue - Fergus Sings The Blues
48 (68) M - Pop Muzik {1989 remix}
49 (65) One 2 Many - Downtown {1989 reissue}
50 (NE) Frankie Knuckles presents Satoshi Tomiie - Tears
51 (34) Robert Palmer - Change His Ways
52 (40) The Jacksons - Nothin' (That Compares 2 U)
53 (31) Queen - I Want It All
54 (56) Al B Sure! Ft Slick Rick - If I'm Not Your Lover
55 (30) Stefan Dennis - Don't It Make You Feel Good
56 (NE) Richard Marx - Satisfied
57 (NE) Baby Ford - Children Of The Revolution
58 (78) UB40 - I Would Do For You
59 (63) Carly Simon - Why {1989 remix}
60 (45) Stevie Nicks - Rooms On Fire
61 (62) Youssou N'Dour and Peter Gabriel - Shakin' The Tree
62 (NE) Danny Wilson - The Second Summer Of Love
63 (NE) Samantha Fox - I Wanna Have Some Fun
64 (49) The Beatmasters with Merlin - Who's In The House?
65 (41) Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth
66 (73) The Adult Net - Where Were You
67 (81) Cry Before Dawn - Witness For The World
68 (47) ABC - One Better World
69 (NE) Ghost Dance - Down To The Wire
70 (43) Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning {1989 reissue}
71 (NE) Kraze - Let's Play House
72 (57) Stevie Wonder - Free
73 (NE) Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
74 (46) Paul McCartney - My Brave Face
75 (71) Maze ft Frankie Beverly - Joy And Pain
76 (NE) Julian Cope - China Doll
77 (89) 10,000 Maniacs - Trouble Me
78 (NE) Tigertailz - Love Bomb Baby
79 (66) LNR - Work It To The Bone
80 (NE) The Real Roxanne - Roxanne's On A Roll
81 (77) Eric And The Good Good Feeling - Good Good Feeling
82 (NE) Van Morrison - Have I Told You Lately
83 (NE) Omar - I Don't Mind The Waiting
84 (99) China Crisis - Red Letter Day
85 (NE) Clive Griffin - Head Above Water
86 (NE) Spirit Of The Forest - Spirit Of The Forest
87 (79) Claytown Troupe - Prayer
88 (NE) The Stray Cats - Gina
89 (NE) Soul Sister - The Way To Your Heart
90 (NE) Pere Ubu - Love Love Love
91 (91) The Go-Betweens - Streets Of Your Town {1989 reissue}
92 (NE) Westworld - Dance On
93 (89) Gibson Brothers - Que Sera Mi Vida {1989 remix}
94 (84) The Beatles - The Ballad Of John & Yoko {1989 reissue}
95 (82) K-9 Posse - Ain't Nothin' To It
96 (NE) Gun - Better Days
97 (93) John Cougar Mellencamp - Pop Singer
98 (NE) Tony Terry - Forget The Girl
99 (NE) Candi McKenzie - Honesty
100 (98) The Belle Stars - Iko Iko {1989 reissue}

Chris

James Heaton

Jun 14, 2021, 4:44:11 PM6/14/21

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Not exactly a topical chart, unless me reading a book about one of the
> acts recently counts as topical. Actually, someone in this chart has been
> in the news recently but not really for musical reasons.
>
> Playlists are here:
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/305dU3OZBcNadiXNBzGlMz?si=dsDBg0LaTUW2Avml0iw0Vg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
> https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrJj-kb2V66TcJO5ZgbtKkv

Chart dated 17 June 1989

I was in the car park at the bottom of Pen Y Fan when this chart was
announced

> 2 (2) Cliff Richard - The Best Of Me

His 100th single I think

> 3 (12) Soul II Soul - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)

About to defenestrate Donovan's rather modest cover

> 6 (8) Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Superb track. Apparently about a daughter of an Everly Brother who he was
briefly married to

> 10 (9) Neneh Cherry - Manchild

I 'get' this song a lot more now with some years behind me

> 13 (7) Lynne Hamilton - On The Inside

Reminds me of my Dad who was ill in this period, and used to watch Prisoner
Cell Block H on the late night telly when he couldn't sleep

> 14 (3) Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson & The Christians -
> Ferry Cross The Mersey

I still can't listen to the radio report of that day without a lump in the
throat. 'And now the sun shines'

> 17 (22) Fuzzbox - Pink Sunshine

Like these more than I expected to. One died at about the age I am now.

> 22 (38) Donna Allen - Joy And Pain

Good club crossover

> 25 (15) Edelweiss - Bring Me Edelweiss

Weird. Apparently followed the KLF's book on how to have a hit

> 28 (39) R.E.M. - Orange Crush

REM starting to move from under appreciated to over exposed. Still sounds a
good jangle track today.

> 30 (48) Clannad ft Bono - In A Lifetime

Terrible ToTP appearance... Bono couldn't or wouldn't attend so they had
Clannad in studio then cut to video whenever Bono had a bit!

> 40 (58) Gladys Knight - Licence To Kill

I can remember where I was the first time I heard this song... Hoover Sports
Ground, with the scoreboard struggling with a visiting side that contained
Ramprakash and Roseberry!

> 45 (54) Waterfront - Cry

Rare to get a local band in the charts at this time. Not great but far from
terrible.

> 50 (NE) Frankie Knuckles presents Satoshi Tomiie - Tears

Didn't realise he was around this early

> 55 (30) Stefan Dennis - Don't It Make You Feel Good

He's a superior actor to singer.

> 60 (45) Stevie Nicks - Rooms On Fire

One of my favourite Stevie solo tracks, rivalled by Sara and beaten by Edge
of 17

> 62 (NE) Danny Wilson - The Second Summer Of Love

Cute track.

> 64 (49) The Beatmasters with Merlin - Who's In The House?

Wasn't he in clink when this was a hit and they let him out on tag to do
ToTP?

James

Vidcapper

Jun 15, 2021, 1:32:02 AM6/15/21
On 14/06/2021 08:03, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated 17 June 1989
>
> 3 (12) Soul II Soul - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)

> 6 (8) Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

> 14 (3) Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney, Holly Johnson & The Christians - Ferry Cross The Mersey

> 18 (11) Kylie Minogue - Hand On Your Heart

> 38 (27) The Bangles - Eternal Flame

> 53 (31) Queen - I Want It All

> 73 (NE) Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings

> 94 (84) The Beatles - The Ballad Of John & Yoko {1989 reissue}

Not many I know here, unsurprisingly.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham