When you think you've had enough old charts from 1999

Chris Brown

Jan 19, 2020, 8:32:56 AM1/19/20
... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
(and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the late
90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are still
buying Christmas records in January.
Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.

Playlists are here.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph

Chart dated 23rd January 1999

1. (NE) 911 A Little Bit More
2. (NE) Another Level/Ghostface Killah I Want You For Myself
3. (2) Steps Heartbeat/Tragedy
4. (1) Fatboy Slim Praise You
5. (NE) Emmie More Than This
6. (6) Bryan Adams When You're Gone ft Melanie C
7. (NE) Cassius Cassius 1999
8. (3) Blockster You Should Be...
9. (4) Chef Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)
10. (NE) All Seeing I Walk Like A Panther '98 ft Tony Christie
11. (NE) 3 Colours Red Beautiful Day
12. (5) Spice Girls Goodbye
13. (9) The Honeyz End Of The Line
14. (7) Cher Believe
15. (NE) Destiny's Child Get On The Bus ft Timbaland
16. (8) Ultra Rescue Me
17. (NE) Juliet Roberts Bad Girls/I Like
18. (13) Emilia Big Big World
19. (11) Justin Over You
20. (14) Da Click Good Rhymes
21. (10) The Porn Kings vs DJ Supreme Up To The Wildstyle
22. (12) Will Smith Miami
23. (18) Vengaboys Up And Down
24. (19) Ace Of Base Always Have, Always Will
25. (17) Boyzone I Love The Way You Love Me
26. (15) B*Witched To You I Belong
27. (NE) T-Spoon Tom's Party
28. (22) Robbie Williams No Regrets/Antmusic
29. (NE) PJ Harvey The Wind
30. (16) Denise And Johnny Especially For You
31. (26) Alda Girls Night Out
32. (23) Mariah Carey And Whitney Houston When You Believe
33. (20) Prince 1999 {1999 reissue}
34. (24) Blackstreet And Mya Take Me There ft Mase And Blinky Blink
35. (34) Alisha's Attic Wish I Were You
36. (27) Fierce Right Here Right Now
37. (25) Jay-Z Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)
38. (32) Savage Garden I Want You '98
39. (NE) Monster Magnet Powertrip
40. (33) Celine Dion And R Kelly I'm Your Angel
41. (37) The Corrs So Young
42. (29) Aqua Good Morning Sunshine
43. (30) Lighthouse Family Postcard From Heaven
44. (21) Babe Instinct Disco Babes From Outer Space
45. (36) All Saints War Of Nerves
46. (31) Billie Piper She Wants You
47. (57) The Cardigans My Favourite Game
48. (39) Sash! Move Mania ft Shannon
49. (40) Manic Street Preachers The Everlasting
50. (35) Paul Weller Wild Wood {1999 remix}
51. (61) Another Level Guess I Was A Fool
52. (41) Madonna The Power Of Good-Bye/Little Star
53. (28) Gloria Estefan Don't Let This Moment End
54. (38) Da Fool No Good
55. (NE) Old Skool Orchestra B-Boy Hump
56. (56) Jane McDonald Cruise Into Christmas
57. (44) Brandy Have You Ever?
58. (47) The Beautiful South Dumb
59. (49) Vonda Shepard Searchin' My Soul
60. (48) George Michael Outside
61. (51) Robbie Williams Millennium
62. (45) Aerosmith I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
63. (50) Stardust Music Sounds Better With You
64. (43) Five Until The Time Is Through
65. (65) 911 More Than A Woman
66. (46) The Tamperer If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better ft
Maya
67. (NE) Minty I Wanna Be Free
68. (63) Doolally Straight From The Heart
69. (52) Touch And Go Would You?
70. (42) Trubble Dancing Baby (Ooga-Chaka)
71. (59) Faith Hill This Kiss
72. (71) U2 Sweetest Thing
73. (62) Robbie Williams Angels
74. (60) Stereophonics The Bartender And The Thief
75. (53) Lutricia McNeal The Greatest Love You'll Never Know
76. (RE) Tatyana Ali Daydreamin'
77. (RE) Kele Le Roc Little Bit Of Lovin'
78. (75) Dru Hill How Deep Is Your Love?
79. (RE) Alanis Morrisette Thank U
80. (69) Beastie Boys Body Movin'
81. (RE) Queen/Wyclef Jean featuring Pras & Free Another One Bites The Dust
82. (78) Binary Finary 1998
83. (RE) Eagle-Eye Cherry Falling In Love Again
84. (97) Karen Ramirez If We Try
85. (77) Paul Van Dyk For An Angel
86. (55) Spacedust Gym And Tonic
87. (82) 4 The Cause Stand By Me
88. (87) David Morales Presents The Face Needin' U
89. (88) M People Testify
90. (RE) Billie Girlfriend
91. (NE) Tilt Children
92. (90) Brandy & Monica The Boy Is Mine
93. (NE) Model 500 Be Brave
94. (RE) Energy 52 Cafe Del Mar 98
95. (94) Nalin & Kane Beachball
96. (96) Manic Street Preachers If You Tolerate This Your Children Will
Be Next
97. (RE) Slade vs Flush Merry Xmas Everybody 98 Remix
98. (NE) Mark NRG House Music (In My Brain)
99. (92) Five Everybody Get Up
100. (76) Des'ree What's Your Sign?

Chris

Robbie

Jan 19, 2020, 10:10:35 AM1/19/20
On 19/01/2020 13:32, Chris Brown wrote:
> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
> are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
> (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the late
> 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are still
> buying Christmas records in January.
> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>
> Playlists are here.
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>
> Chart dated 23rd January 1999

I must have gone AWOL in early 1999 as there is quite a large number of
tracks here that I have little no recollection of.

> 1.    (NE)    911    A Little Bit More

A largely forgotten cover of the old Dr Hook single, and with good
reason as it was another by-numbers boyband cover. Sold 75,400 this week
in 1999 to reach number 1.

> 2.    (NE)    Another Level/Ghostface Killah    I Want You For Myself

I vaguely recall this one. Sold 72,000

> 3.     (2)    Steps    Heartbeat/Tragedy

The "one side before Christmas, one side after" trick was working well.
I think this one had passed a million sales by this point. I much prefer
the "before Christmas" side which was 'Heartbeat'.

> 4.     (1)    Fatboy Slim    Praise You

The video was a talking point at the time (I think this is the one where
some dance company just do their own thing in a shopping mall or
wherever. I find his music from back then highly annoying these days.

> 5.    (NE)    Emmie    More Than This

Unneccessary cover of Roxy Music's 1982 hit. Almost a one hit wonder,
Emmie (Emma Morton-Smith) had a minor hit in August 2003 as part of the
duo Indien (the other half was her husband) with 'Show Me Love'.

> 6.     (6)    Bryan Adams    When You're Gone ft Melanie C

This one was a massive radio hit and was in the top 10 for almost three
months. I quite liked it.

> 7.    (NE)    Cassius    Cassius 1999

Gave it a listen but don't recall it.

> 8.     (3)    Blockster    You Should Be...

Brandon Block with a slightly annoying reworking of theold Bee Gees
song. The latter was in the charts (top 10 in fact) the same time as Dr
Hook's original of the number 1.

> 9.     (4)    Chef    Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)

It wasn't even funny at the time let alone now.

> 10.    (NE)    All Seeing I    Walk Like A Panther '98 ft Tony Christie

6 years before Tony Christie made an unlikely comeback. One of the All
Seeing I had charted in 1988 as part of The Funky Worm (with 'Hustle').

> 18.    (13)    Emilia    Big Big World

Another record that was never off the radio at the time. As a result it
became someothing of an annoying song.

--
------
Robbie

James Heaton

Jan 19, 2020, 1:16:06 PM1/19/20

"Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there are
> two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title (and
> another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the late 90s,
> there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are still buying
> Christmas records in January.
> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>
> Playlists are here.
> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>
> Chart dated 23rd January 1999

Coming up to finals at uni, in the city I still live on the edge of

> 5. (NE) Emmie More Than This

I actually prefer this to the Roxy Music version, her voice has an ethereal
nature and vulnerability that suits the song.

> 9. (4) Chef Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)

South Park was massive in this era, used to arrange to visit friends with
Sky - not many of us around - you'd arrive there and fine people sat on the
floor and perched on sofa arms

> 28. (22) Robbie Williams No Regrets/Antmusic

One of the most soul baring songs I've ever heard. Absolutely gorgeous.
Having come out of a very intense relationship in Apr 98 this really spoke
to me.

> 47. (57) The Cardigans My Favourite Game

Got a lot of plays on dancefloor at student union

> 50. (35) Paul Weller Wild Wood {1999 remix}

Forgot this was reissued. Original (93?) marked the end of his barren
period. Think it was 4yrs since he'd had a hit at that point - Promised
Land?

Or 'I've been moaning about my life' as Adam and Joe parodied it...

> 73. (62) Robbie Williams Angels

This song seems to have been around for longer than this, but I think this
was the tail of its first entry.

> 74. (60) Stereophonics The Bartender And The Thief

Good track but second album syndrome overall.

> 90. (RE) Billie Girlfriend

Cute but severely overproduced

> 92. (90) Brandy & Monica The Boy Is Mine

One note from that horrible synthetic harp and I am back in the overheated
warehouse where I spent summer 98

> 100. (76) Des'ree What's Your Sign?

Very moderate song, very well sung.
James

Vidcapper

Jan 20, 2020, 1:56:00 AM1/20/20
On 19/01/2020 13:32, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>

> 3. (2) Steps Heartbeat/Tragedy
> 4. (1) Fatboy Slim Praise You

> 14. (7) Cher Believe

> 33. (20) Prince 1999 {1999 reissue}

> 47. (57) The Cardigans My Favourite Game

> 61. (51) Robbie Williams Millennium
> 62. (45) Aerosmith I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
> 63. (50) Stardust Music Sounds Better With You

> 73. (62) Robbie Williams Angels

> 94. (RE) Energy 52 Cafe Del Mar 98

As usual from this era, very few songs I remember.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Jan 20, 2020, 4:29:54 PM1/20/20
I wondered whether you might know one or two more of the dance tracks here.

If you went anywhere near a switched-on TV set between 1999 and about
2002 you would almost certainly have heard part of the Touch & Go track
being used as backing music for something... but I know that's not the
same thing as recognising it.

Anyway, I've prepared the usual list of songs with prominent other versions:

1. (NE) 911 A Little Bit More
3. (2) Steps Tragedy
5. (NE) Emmie More Than This
8. (3) Blockster You Should Be...
17. (NE) Juliet Roberts Bad Girls
28. (22) Robbie Williams Antmusic
30. (16) Denise And Johnny Especially For You
32. (23) Mariah Carey And Whitney Houston When You Believe
56. (56) Jane McDonald Cruise Into Christmas
65. (65) 911 More Than A Woman
81. (RE) Queen/Wyclef Jean featuring Pras & Free Another One Bites The Dust
82. (78) Binary Finary 1998
87. (82) 4 The Cause Stand By Me
91. (NE) Tilt Children
97. (RE) Slade vs Flush Merry Xmas Everybody 98 Remix

Chris

Chris Brown

Jan 20, 2020, 7:05:33 PM1/20/20
On 19/01/2020 18:15, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
>> are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
>> (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the
>> late 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are
>> still buying Christmas records in January.
>> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>>
>> Playlists are here.
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>>
>> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>
> Coming up to finals at uni, in the city I still live on the edge of

I ended up doing mine later but that's another story.

>> 5. (NE) Emmie More Than This
>
> I actually prefer this to the Roxy Music version,

Ever heard the one by 10,000 Maniacs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePl0e0YCRc

>her voice has an
> ethereal nature and vulnerability that suits the song.

It's a fair point, but then again I've never been that keen on Brian Ferry.

>> 9. (4) Chef Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)
>
> South Park was massive in this era, used to arrange to visit friends
> with Sky - not many of us around - you'd arrive there and fine people
> sat on the floor and perched on sofa arms

We had cable by then, but I do remember in an earlier time we used to
get my Granny to tape The Simpsons. That sounds like hundreds of years
ago even though it can only be about 30 years ago.

>> 28. (22) Robbie Williams No Regrets/Antmusic
>
> One of the most soul baring songs I've ever heard.  Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm guessing this doesn't relate to 'Antmusic'!

> Having come out of a very intense relationship in Apr 98 this really
> spoke to me.

But seriously folks, even I had to admit (grudgingly) that 'No Regrets'
is a good song.

>> 47. (57) The Cardigans My Favourite Game
>
> Got a lot of plays on dancefloor at student union

How do you dance to it?

>> 50. (35) Paul Weller Wild Wood {1999 remix}
>
> Forgot this was reissued.

I'm not sure many people noticed in the first place.

> Original (93?) marked the end of his barren
> period.  Think it was 4yrs since he'd had a hit at that point - Promised
> Land?

He's actually had some chart success with singles from his first solo
album, including a Top 20 hit with 'Uh Huh Oh yeah', but the Wild Wood
era seemed to be a watershed of his solo career, bringing him back to
mainstream attention and the sort of critical acclaim he hadn't had for
a long time.

>> 73. (62) Robbie Williams Angels
>
> This song seems to have been around for longer than this, but I think
> this was the tail of its first entry.

It'd been in and out of the business end of the chart, but I believe it
was consistently Top 200 until Spring 1999.
Coincidentally, the next-longest-charting single was 'For An Angel'.

>> 74. (60) Stereophonics The Bartender And The Thief
>
> Good track but second album syndrome overall.

This seems to have aged pretty well, but maybe it's because they got
worse after this. I remember thinking the single was a disappointment at
the time.

Speaking of the second album, the version on there (and all subsequent
releases) lacks the intro from the original single.

>> 90. (RE) Billie Girlfriend
>
> Cute but severely overproduced

And very of-its-time in style.

I always wondered why the guy in this song was claiming to be a
"certified man" - like a chartered accountant?

>> 92. (90) Brandy & Monica The Boy Is Mine
>
> One note from that horrible synthetic harp and I am back in the
> overheated warehouse where I spent summer 98

That's the typical Rodney Jerkins sound isn't it? I was never keen on it.

>> 100. (76) Des'ree What's Your Sign?
>
> Very moderate song, very well sung.

I've never even been interested enough in astrology to know whether this
song makes sense.

Chris

James Heaton

Jan 21, 2020, 12:26:24 PM1/21/20

> On 19/01/2020 18:15, James Heaton wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
>>> are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
>>> (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the late
>>> 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are still
>>> buying Christmas records in January.
>>> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>>>
>>> Playlists are here.
>>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>>>
>>> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>>
>> Coming up to finals at uni, in the city I still live on the edge of
>
> I ended up doing mine later but that's another story.
>
>>> 5. (NE) Emmie More Than This
>>
>> I actually prefer this to the Roxy Music version,
>
> Ever heard the one by 10,000 Maniacs?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePl0e0YCRc

I have now - impressive. As it's dates 1997 on the video, I think it's fair
to say that Emmie version owes a lot to this.

>>> 28. (22) Robbie Williams No Regrets/Antmusic
>>
>> One of the most soul baring songs I've ever heard. Absolutely gorgeous.
>

> I'm guessing this doesn't relate to 'Antmusic'!

Good guess.

>>> 47. (57) The Cardigans My Favourite Game
>>
>> Got a lot of plays on dancefloor at student union
>
> How do you dance to it?

It's basically a four on the floor track, albeit with heavy syncopation, so
a variant of the usual energetic drunken shuffle (or thrash for the really
drunk) suffices.

James

Chris Brown

Jan 21, 2020, 5:40:20 PM1/21/20
On 21/01/2020 17:26, James Heaton wrote:

> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 19/01/2020 18:15, James Heaton wrote:
>>>
>>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I actually prefer this to the Roxy Music version,
>>
>> Ever heard the one by 10,000 Maniacs?
>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePl0e0YCRc
>
> I have now - impressive.  As it's dates 1997 on the video, I think it's
> fair to say that Emmie version owes a lot to this.

Presumably at least the idea of doing a dance version (although that mix
wasn't the lead track on the CD single, I presume it was a club hit of
some sort).

>>> One of the most soul baring songs I've ever heard.  Absolutely gorgeous.
>>

>> I'm guessing this doesn't relate to 'Antmusic'!
>
> Good guess.

It's not even a good version.

>>> Got a lot of plays on dancefloor at student union
>>
>> How do you dance to it?
>
> It's basically a four on the floor track, albeit with heavy syncopation,
> so a variant of the usual energetic drunken shuffle (or thrash for the
> really drunk) suffices.

I don't really know how to dance anyway.

Chris

Chris Brown

Jan 22, 2020, 6:45:23 PM1/22/20
On 19/01/2020 15:10, Robbie wrote:
> On 19/01/2020 13:32, Chris Brown wrote:
>> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
>> are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
>> (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the
>> late 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are
>> still buying Christmas records in January.
>> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>>
>> Playlists are here.
>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>>
>> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>
> I must have gone AWOL in early 1999 as there is quite a large number of
> tracks here that I have little no recollection of.

I had nothing better to do at the time than listen to these singles.

>> 1.    (NE)    911    A Little Bit More
>
> A largely forgotten cover of the old Dr Hook single,

Regular listeners to Radio 2's Popmaster will be well aware of how
forgotten 911's hits are.

> and with good
> reason as it was another by-numbers boyband cover. Sold 75,400 this week
> in 1999 to reach number 1.

Which seemed pretty much the only reason it existed.
Though they did call their later compilation "The Greatest Hits... And A
Little Bit More".

>> 2.    (NE)    Another Level/Ghostface Killah    I Want You For Myself
>
> I vaguely recall this one. Sold 72,000

I remember it seemed a bit odd for Ghostface Killer to turn up on a
boyband record.
It does have a decent bassline, to be fair.

>> 3.     (2)    Steps    Heartbeat/Tragedy
>
> The "one side before Christmas, one side after" trick was working well.
> I think this one had passed a million sales by this point. I much prefer
> the "before Christmas" side which was 'Heartbeat'.

Possibly the most successful case of it ever?

>> 4.     (1)    Fatboy Slim    Praise You
>
> The video was a talking point at the time (I think this is the one where
> some dance company just do their own thing in a shopping mall or
> wherever.

Yep, it's the one that's shot as if its on home video.
And as usual Cook himself makes a cameo.

> I find his music from back then highly annoying these days.

A lot of it hasn't aged to well or has at least been overplayed, but
this one is a bit more melodic.

>> 5.    (NE)    Emmie    More Than This
>
> Unneccessary cover of Roxy Music's 1982 hit. Almost a one hit wonder,
> Emmie (Emma Morton-Smith) had a minor hit in August 2003 as part of the
> duo Indien (the other half was her husband) with 'Show Me Love'.

As far I know it was her only solo single, oddly.
Her other claim to "fame" around this time was co-hosting micro-budget
late-night quiz show Noddy's Electric Ladyland with Noddy Holder... who
is of course also in this chart.

>> 6.     (6)    Bryan Adams    When You're Gone ft Melanie C
>
> This one was a massive radio hit and was in the top 10 for almost three
> months. I quite liked it.

I remember somebody suggesting it was unusual in the late 90s to have a
boy-girl harmony like this.

>> 7.    (NE)    Cassius    Cassius 1999
>
> Gave it a listen but don't recall it.

When Chris Moyles used to do the Golden Hour on Radio 1, he played this
a few times when the year was 1999, but of course he couldn't
back-announce it.

>> 8.     (3)    Blockster    You Should Be...
>
> Brandon Block with a slightly annoying reworking of theold Bee Gees
> song.

I must have noticed at the time that the week before this there were two
Bee Gees songs in the Top 3.
...And with 'More Than A Woman', it was a lucrative week for The Gibb
Brothers.

>The latter was in the charts (top 10 in fact) the same time as Dr
> Hook's original of the number 1.

And people are still nostalgic for the Seventies.

>> 9.     (4)    Chef    Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)
>
> It wasn't even funny at the time let alone now.

It was briefly amusing.

>> 10.    (NE)    All Seeing I    Walk Like A Panther '98 ft Tony Christie
>
> 6 years before Tony Christie made an unlikely comeback.

ITYM another unlikely comeback.

>One of the All
> Seeing I had charted in 1988 as part of The Funky Worm (with 'Hustle').

And one of the others later charted in I Monster.

>> 18.    (13)    Emilia    Big Big World
>
> Another record that was never off the radio at the time. As a result it
> became someothing of an annoying song.

To quote Q Magazine at the time "she's a big big girl with a stupid
stupid voice".

Chris

Robbie

Jan 23, 2020, 3:16:37 PM1/23/20
On 22/01/2020 23:45, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 19/01/2020 15:10, Robbie wrote:

>>> 3.     (2)    Steps    Heartbeat/Tragedy
>>
>> The "one side before Christmas, one side after" trick was working
>> well. I think this one had passed a million sales by this point. I
>> much prefer the "before Christmas" side which was 'Heartbeat'.
>
> Possibly the most successful case of it ever?

I think it might be though not many contenders spring to mind. Wham!
possibly were the first to do it though by the time 'Last Christmas' was
swopped out for 'Everything She Wants' the track had already sold in
massive amounts. The only other one that springs to mind is 'When I Fall
In Love / My Arms Keep Missing You' by Rick Astley but that one didn't
work at all. Certainly with Steps the original AA side was the one that
got them to the top.

>>> 8.     (3)    Blockster    You Should Be...
>>
>> Brandon Block with a slightly annoying reworking of theold Bee Gees song.
>
> I must have noticed at the time that the week before this there were two
> Bee Gees songs in the Top 3.

I'd overlooked that but thinking about it I think I've seen that
mentioned before, possibly by yourself or maybe it was Alan Jones!

> ...And with 'More Than A Woman', it was a lucrative week for The Gibb
> Brothers.
>
>> The latter was in the charts (top 10 in fact) the same time as Dr
>> Hook's original of the number 1.
>
> And people are still nostalgic for the Seventies.

It's frightening to think that 1970 is now 50 years ago. Not that I
remember much (if anything) of 1970. That said, the music nostlagia for
the 70s seems more confined to the second half of the decade these days
(1973 Christmas hits aside).

--
------
Robbie

James Heaton

Jan 23, 2020, 4:36:16 PM1/23/20

> On 19/01/2020 15:10, Robbie wrote:
>> On 19/01/2020 13:32, Chris Brown wrote:
>>> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more", there
>>> are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in the title
>>> (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove it's the late
>>> 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And people are still
>>> buying Christmas records in January.
>>> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>>>
>>> Playlists are here.
>>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>>>
>>> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>>
>> I must have gone AWOL in early 1999 as there is quite a large number of
>> tracks here that I have little no recollection of.
>
> I had nothing better to do at the time than listen to these singles.
>>> 10. (NE) All Seeing I Walk Like A Panther '98 ft Tony Christie
>>
>> 6 years before Tony Christie made an unlikely comeback.
>
> ITYM another unlikely comeback.
>
>>One of the All Seeing I had charted in 1988 as part of The Funky Worm
>>(with 'Hustle').
>
> And one of the others later charted in I Monster.

Missed this one in my write up. One of Funky Worm was also in Moloko from
memory? Have a couple of Funky Worm tracks on old Hits compilations, think
it's Hustle and The Spell.

And I think Jarvis Cocker was was a co-writer to this, I suspect his
involvement in the 'Where did you leave your self respect' verse which would
do Anne Robinson proud in her Weakest Link peak!

James

Chris Brown

Jan 23, 2020, 6:16:19 PM1/23/20
Yep, Mark Brydon.

>Have a couple of Funky Worm tracks on old Hits
> compilations, think it's Hustle and The Spell.

I've got Hits 9 which has The Spell! on it.

> And I think Jarvis Cocker was was a co-writer to this, I suspect his
> involvement in the 'Where did you leave your self respect' verse which
> would do Anne Robinson proud in her Weakest Link peak!

Yes, he wrote the lyric (and a few others for the album).
He even turned up to sing it on Top of The Pops once because Christie
was double-booked with a concert in Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ez2kR3N0TA

Christie did also perform the song on there the week it entered the chart.

Chris

Rink

Sep 11, 2021, 12:03:33 PM9/11/21
Op 21-1-2020 om 1:05 schreef Chris Brown:
> On 19/01/2020 18:15, James Heaton wrote:
>> "Chris Brown" <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote ...
>>> ... I just give you a load more of them. And speaking of "more",
>>> there are two covers in the Top 5 of songs with the work "More" in
>>> the title (and another one lower down the chart). And just to prove
>>> it's the late 90s, there are two hits related to Ally McBeal. And
>>> people are still buying Christmas records in January.
>>> Also, Philippe Zdar of Cassius died last year.
>>>
>>> Playlists are here.
>>> https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VTvNi7keFPo7Lee68NgqM?si=5HzbyQ8uQ2CrdXzkBbco5g
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNoJUyNgGCgtlM2jRIaYgYph
>>>
>>> Chart dated 23rd January 1999
>>
>> Coming up to finals at uni, in the city I still live on the edge of
>
> I ended up doing mine later but that's another story.
>
>>> 5. (NE) Emmie More Than This
>>
>> I actually prefer this to the Roxy Music version,
>
> Ever heard the one by 10,000 Maniacs?
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePl0e0YCRc
>
>> her voice has an ethereal nature and vulnerability that suits the song.
>
> It's a fair point, but then again I've never been that keen on Brian Ferry.

More than this from Roxy Music remembers me at the April fools
day's joke from the Hilversum 3 broadcaster TROS in 1982.

Hilversum 3 (on Mediumwave-AM and VHF-FM in The Netherlands)
was taken over by the new satellite radio station "Space Radio".
During the TROS top 50 presented by Ferry Maat (ex RNI),
Space Radio took over the frequencies.
The sound was really "spacy".
They used a special compression with a stereo enhancer.
Together with the English presentation by Kas van Iersel,
and (again) spacy jingles and English commercials, it sounded great.

They played among other things:
David Bowie (Space Oddity),
Imagination (Just an illusion),
Rolling Stones (Start me up),
Quarterflash (Harden my heart),
Elton John (Daniel),
Tight Fit (The lion sleeps tonight),
Paul Davis (65 love affair),
Bobby Vee (the night has a 1000 eyes),
Fun boy three & Bananarama (It Ain't What You Do)
announced as the number 1 in England (!),
Hall & Oates (I can't go for that),
J. Geils Band (Centerfold),
Little River Band (Lonesome user) (I think)

I heard the group Quarterflash for the first time. I searched the record
for many years. Harden my heart was no hit here (should've been!)
and we had no internet those days :-)

The TROS stopped the joke after only one hour, they could have done
another hour. But many many listeners called Hilversum, not only TROS,
but also NOS, KRO, AVRO, the police, etcetera.
The PTT telephone exchange stopped working because of too many calls.
NOS television wanted to come with camera's.

It's impossible to take over microwave links and even cable lines by a
satellite signal, but who knew that? (I did)
Satellites were not used by radio stations in 1982.

You can here a part of the joke here:
<https://www.mixcloud.com/radiohat/1982-04-01-h3-tros-space-radio-1-april-grap-ferry-maat-kas-van-iersel/>

Roxy Music comes in at 26:58 out of the noise as number 44 of the TROS
Top 50 (Hilversum 3).

And a desciption about what happened, is here:
<https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Radio>
and here:
<https://www.voofla.com/AN/Kralendijk/604718549611224/Ferry-Maat>
scroll down to the date 26/02/2021, title:
"1982-04-01 H3 TROS Space Radio 1 april grap - Ferry Maat, Kas van
Iersel"
(sorry, both in Dutch)

It's a pity Space Radio was never heard again. It could have been a
popular radio station!

Rink