The Indiana wind and rain cut through this old chart from 1977

Chris Brown

Oct 4, 2020, 6:12:18 AM10/4/20
Well, I'm not in Indiana but it's windy and rainy enough in Harrow
today, thanks.

Anyway, you may have missed amid all the other news around these days
that Pamela Hutchinson of The Emotions died last month. In this, the
week of their biggest hit, people were already paying tribute to to
another star who had recently died, as well as attempting to revive the
1950s more generally. And you can tell this is a long time ago, becuase
James Bond films used to come out when they were supposed to.

Playlists are here and quite full.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5DSWtdXIwuTpgStbp1gzcS?si=qly-V57TS92IZp5EX9nnnA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqNoMMZYIa6l1QPO9BDrsDr

Chart dated: 8th October 1977

1. (2) David Soul Silver Lady
2. (1) Elvis Presley Way Down
3. (8) La Belle Epoque Black Is Black
4. (7) The Emotions Best Of My Love
5. (3) Space Magic Fly
6. (9) Patsy Gallant From New York To L.A.
7. (16) Yes Wonderous Stories
8. (11) Danny Mirror I Remember Elvis Presley
9. (6) Meri Wilson Telephone Man
10. (5) Donna Summer Down Deep Inside
11. (4) Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene Part IV
12. (10) Elkie Brooks Sunshine After The Rain
13. (20) The Stranglers No More Heroes
14. (24) Baccara Yes Sir I Can Boogie
15. (14) The Boomtown Rats Looking After Number One
16. (18) Ram Jam Black Betty
17. (21) Donna Summer I Remember Yesterday
18. (15) Rods Do Anything You Wanna Do
19. (13) The Dooleys I Think I'm Gonna Fall In love With You
20. (12) Carly Simon Nobody Does It Better
21. (17) Yvonne Elliman I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind
22. (25) Leo Sayer Thunder In My Heart
23. (27) David Essex Cool Out Tonight
24. (44) Meco Star Wars Theme
25. (30) Giorgio From Here To Eternity
26. (23) The Adverts Gary Gilmore's Eyes
27. (28) Bob Marley & The Wailers Waiting In Vain
28. (NE) The Clash Complete Control
29. (34) George Benson The Greatest Love Of All
30. (35) Rose Royce Do Your Dance
31. (37) Nazareth Hot Tracks (EP)
[Love Hurts; This Flight Tonight; Broken Down Angel; Hair Of The Dog]
32. (NE) Status Quo Rockin' All Over The World
33. (32) Stevie Wonder Another Star
34. (43) Dr Feelgood She's A Wind Up
35. (41) Gladys Knight And The Pips Home Is Where The Heart Is
36. (19) Candi Staton Nights On Broadway
37. (26) The Jacksons Dreamer
38. (49) Pratt And McClain Happy Days
39. (31) Deniece Williams That's What Friends Are For
40. (40) Kenny Rogers Daytime Friends
41. (NE) The Commodores Brickhouse/Sweet Love
42. (45) The Motors Dancing The Night Away
43. (29) Steve Gibbons Band Tulane
44. (38) Generation X Your Generation
45. (NE) Stardust Ariana
46. (NE) Peter Blake Lipsmackin' Rock N' Rollin'
47. (NE) Golden Earring 'Live' Radar Love
48. (NE) Mary Mason Angel Of The Morning-Anyway That You Want Me
49. (NE) The Carpenters Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The
Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day)
50. (48) Camouflage Bee Sting

Chris

Robbie

Oct 4, 2020, 11:06:26 AM10/4/20
On 04/10/2020 11:12, Chris Brown wrote:
> Well, I'm not in Indiana but it's windy and rainy enough in Harrow
> today, thanks.

The south seems to have had a nasty few days of wind and rain. It rained
all yesterday but the sun was shining this morning.

> Chart dated: 8th October 1977

The month when singles sales started to pick up rapidly in the UK
building to then record breaking levels in late 1978 / early 1979.

An interesting chart with many nationalities represented here. There
were slim pickings for British acts. In the top 10 only Yes were from
the UK.

> 1.   (2) David Soul    Silver Lady

I didn't care much for any of his hits but this was probably the best of
them.

> 2.   (1) Elvis Presley    Way Down

The death of Elvis was the top celebrity death of 1977. I've posted
about this before but his death kept open the RCA record factory which
was located in my town. It had been earmrked for closure in July 1977
but the death of Elvis led to such a demand for his albums and led to 24
hour working for several months. The factory did eventually close in 1981.

Awful song.

> 3.   (8) La Belle Epoque    Black Is Black

Another of those Euro disco hits that were by this point making the
charts with ease.

> 4.   (7) The Emotions    Best Of My Love

First record in this chart I owned. I loved this back then and still
think it's a great song.

> 5.   (3) Space    Magic Fly

Second single I owned. La Belle Epoque were a French based act with a
French singer. Space were French as was Jean Michel-Jarre at number 11.
This is still a brilliant instrumental track. And Daft Punk must have
been influenced by the video.

> 6.   (9) Patsy Gallant    From New York To L.A.

Keeping the French connection alive, Patsy is a Canadian of French
heritage and grew up in a French speaking household. Indeed her early
releases were sung entirely in French. Shades of Celine Dion's career in
the 1980s.

> 7.  (16) Yes    Wonderous Stories

The only UK act in the top 10 with one of the most unlikeliest top 10
hits of 1977.

> 8.  (11) Danny Mirror    I Remember Elvis Presley

Just awful. At least this was meant as a heartfelt ribute to Elvis by
the Dutchman. Follow up single 'We Wish You (A Merry Christmas)' was
enough to have Elvis turning in his grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9D9Ugnppdk

I don't know if he's trying to sound like Elvis in the above (and
failing badly) or if that is his natural singing voice. Either way it's
worse than his hit single. Fortunately his Christmas single was only
released in the Netherlands.

> 9.   (6) Meri Wilson    Telephone Man

A silly novelty record. Meri's career seems to have been guided by car
accidents. Her first car accident was in 1975 and left her in a body
cast for months. She passed the time by writing novelty songs thus
moving her (until then) unsuccessful music career in a more successful
direction. Unfortunately a second car accident in 2002 killed both her
career and sadly Meri herself stone dead.

> 10.  (5) Donna Summer    Down Deep Inside

Donna Summer's cahrt career went into overdrive in the second half of
1977. This is the theme tune from a long forgotten fil called "The
Deep". Not her best but not too bad. Co-written by Donna and John Barry.

> 11.  (4) Jean-Michel Jarre    Oxygene Part IV

An influential artist. While this track isn't bad I always thought it
was a bit lighweight.

> 12. (10) Elkie Brooks    Sunshine After The Rain

Miss Warbly Voice but I quite like this one.

> 13. (20) The Stranglers    No More Heroes

One of their best singles. Great song.

> 14. (24) Baccara    Yes Sir I Can Boogie

On its way to number 1. Awful song by the two Spanish ladies.

> 15. (14) The Boomtown Rats    Looking After Number One

I quite liked this one.

> 16. (18) Ram Jam    Black Betty

And this one too. And even the 1990 remix.

> 17. (21) Donna Summer I Remember Yesterday

From her concept album of the same name that had already spawned the
number 1 single 'I Remember Yesterday'. I think only Donna could have
got away with this strange mix of disco and a 1940s sound.

> 18. (15) Rods    Do Anything You Wanna Do

I bought this single. Great song. Produced and co-written by Ed Hollis,
the late brother of the now late Mark Hollis of Talk Talk.

> 19. (13) The Dooleys    I Think I'm Gonna Fall In love With You

Dreaful song by a dreadful band.

> 20. (12) Carly Simon    Nobody Does It Better

Theme to the James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me". Great song.

> 23. (27) David Essex    Cool Out Tonight

He was struggling with mid chart mediocrity by now.

> 25. (30) Giorgio    From Here To Eternity

An excellent elctro-disco single from Giorgio Moroder.

> 26. (23) The Adverts    Gary Gilmore's Eyes

A good song but probably not something to be taken seriously. Previous
single 'One Chord Wonders' is much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKocNP6WIk

In places the above reminds me of 'Wild World' by Cat Stevens.

> 28. (NE) The Clash    Complete Control

This fell from the all-important top 30 (which was all Radio 1 broadcast
at the time) the following week. At the time it was a very rare example
of a single entering so high up the chart and falling the following week.

> 32. (NE) Status Quo    Rockin' All Over The World

One of my favourite Quo records. Great song.

> 33. (32) Stevie Wonder    Another Star

From 'Songs In The Key Of Life', one of the best albums of the 1970s.

> 46. (NE) Peter Blake    Lipsmackin' Rock N' Rollin'

Started life as a Pepsi Coke advert.

> 49. (NE) The Carpenters    Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
> (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day)

By The Carpenters standards, a very bizarre song. A cover of a track by
Canadian band Klaatu.

STAR BREAKERS
b01 (b08) STARDANCE - John Forde
b02 (b05) RIGHT ON TIME - Brothers Johnson
b03 (NEW) HIGHER & HIGHER - Rita Coolidge (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at
No. 49)
b04 (b03) SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE - Rosetta Stone
b05 (NEW) IT'S ECSTASY WHEN YOU LAY DOWN NEXT TO ME - Barry White (Chart
Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 41)
b06 (NEW) I BELIEVE YOU - Dorothy Moore (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 46)
b07 (b06) THEME FROM BIG TIME - Smokey Robinson
b08 (NEW) YOU MAKE LOVING FUN - Fleetwood Mac
b09 (NEW) SHE'S NOT THERE - Santana (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 50)

>     Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 5, 2020, 1:53:33 AM10/5/20
On 04/10/2020 11:12, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated: 8th October 1977
>
> 1. (2) David Soul Silver Lady
> 2. (1) Elvis Presley Way Down

> 5. (3) Space Magic Fly

> 9. (6) Meri Wilson Telephone Man

> 11. (4) Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene Part IV

> 13. (20) The Stranglers No More Heroes
> 14. (24) Baccara Yes Sir I Can Boogie

> 16. (18) Ram Jam Black Betty

> 32. (NE) Status Quo Rockin' All Over The World

> 49. (NE) The Carpenters Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

More than I expected I'd known from 1977.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 5, 2020, 5:24:11 PM10/5/20
Because of your age at the time or because of the year?

Anyway, the obligatory other versions list you've all been waiting for.:

3. (8) La Belle Epoque Black Is Black {cover of the 60s hit by Los Bravos}
12. (10) Elkie Brooks Sunshine After The Rain {hit cover by Berri in
1994-5, also covered on Denise Johnson's posthumous album released this
week}
16. (18) Ram Jam Black Betty {cover of the blues song, also a hit remix
in 1990}
22. (25) Leo Sayer Thunder In My Heart {extensively sampled on 2005
chart-topper 'Thunder In My Heart Again' by Meck ft Leo Sayer}
24. (44) Meco Star Wars Theme {medley of the famous film theme and
Cantina Band theme}
27. (28) Bob Marley & The Wailers Waiting In Vain {later a hit for Annie
Lennox}
29. (34) George Benson The Greatest Love Of All {later a hit for Whitney
Houston}
31. (37) Nazareth Hot Tracks (EP)
[Love Hurts; {cover of an Everly Brothers album track that was also a
hit for Jim Capaldi etc.}
This Flight Tonight; {cover of a Joni Mitchell song}
32. (NE) Status Quo Rockin' All Over The World {later re-recorded as
'Runnin' All Over The World'
38. (49) Pratt And McClain Happy Days {extended version of the original
TV theme tune}
47. (NE) Golden Earring 'Live' Radar Love {live version of their only
other UK hit}
48. (NE) Mary Mason Angel Of The Morning-Anyway That You Want Me {medley
of two covers}

b03 (NEW) HIGHER & HIGHER - Rita Coolidge (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at
No. 49) {cover of the Jackie Wilson hit}
b04 (b03) SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE - Rosetta Stone {cover of the Cream hit}
b05 (NEW) IT'S ECSTASY WHEN YOU LAY DOWN NEXT TO ME - Barry White (Chart
Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 41) {sampled on 'Rock DJ' by Robbie Williams}
b09 (NEW) SHE'S NOT THERE - Santana (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 50)
{cover of the Zombies hit}

Chris

Vidcapper

Oct 6, 2020, 1:43:47 AM10/6/20
On 05/10/2020 22:24, Chris Brown wrote:
> On 05/10/2020 06:53, Vidcapper wrote:
>> On 04/10/2020 11:12, Chris Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Chart dated: 8th October 1977
>>>
>>> 1. (2) David Soul Silver Lady
>>> 2. (1) Elvis Presley Way Down
>>
>>> 5. (3) Space Magic Fly
>>
>>> 9. (6) Meri Wilson Telephone Man
>>
>>> 11. (4) Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene Part IV
>>
>>> 13. (20) The Stranglers No More Heroes
>>> 14. (24) Baccara Yes Sir I Can Boogie
>>
>>> 16. (18) Ram Jam Black Betty
>>
>>> 32. (NE) Status Quo Rockin' All Over The World
>>
>>> 49. (NE) The Carpenters Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
>>
>> More than I expected I'd known from 1977.
>
> Because of your age at the time or because of the year?

Surely they are pretty much the same thing?

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Oct 9, 2020, 2:47:52 PM10/9/20
Not quite - there's obviously a relationship but some years do seem more
memorable than others, which is why I can remember more songs from 1992
and 1994 than 1993, for example.

Chris

Chris Brown

Oct 11, 2020, 11:33:19 AM10/11/20
On 04/10/2020 16:06, Robbie wrote:
> On 04/10/2020 11:12, Chris Brown wrote:
>> Well, I'm not in Indiana but it's windy and rainy enough in Harrow
>> today, thanks.
>
> The south seems to have had a nasty few days of wind and rain. It rained
> all yesterday but the sun was shining this morning.

We had all the weather today.
UPDATE: I started this reply a few days ago, it's been a bit more
consistent today.

>> Chart dated: 8th October 1977
>
> The month when singles sales started to pick up rapidly in the UK
> building to then record breaking levels in late 1978 / early 1979.
>
> An interesting chart with many nationalities represented here. There
> were slim pickings for British acts. In the top 10 only Yes were from
> the UK.

David Soul also has British nationality now, but he didn't in 1977.

>> 1.   (2) David Soul    Silver Lady
>
> I didn't care much for any of his hits but this was probably the best of
> them.

I would agree with that assessment.

>> 2.   (1) Elvis Presley    Way Down
>
> The death of Elvis was the top celebrity death of 1977. I've posted
> about this before but his death kept open the RCA record factory which
> was located in my town. It had been earmrked for closure in July 1977
> but the death of Elvis led to such a demand for his albums and led to 24
> hour working for several months. The factory did eventually close in 1981.
>
> Awful song.

I guess it's sort of interesting how silly it is, but I'm sure it wasn't
the epitaph he'd have wanted.

>> 3.   (8) La Belle Epoque    Black Is Black
>
> Another of those Euro disco hits that were by this point making the
> charts with ease.

There doesn't seem to have been as many Euro disco covers in the charts
as there were Eurodance covers in the 90s.

>> 4.   (7) The Emotions    Best Of My Love
>
> First record in this chart I owned. I loved this back then and still
> think it's a great song.

Slightly overplayed but certainly a good track.

>> 5.   (3) Space    Magic Fly
>
> Second single I owned. La Belle Epoque were a French based act with a
> French singer. Space were French as was Jean Michel-Jarre at number 11.
> This is still a brilliant instrumental track.

Certainly unusual to have two French instrumentals Top 10 together (the
previous week).
Definitely my favourite band called Space who had a Top 10 hit.

> And Daft Punk must have
> been influenced by the video.

Ha, yeah, and maybe the song too in fact.

>> 6.   (9) Patsy Gallant    From New York To L.A.
>
> Keeping the French connection alive, Patsy is a Canadian of French
> heritage and grew up in a French speaking household. Indeed her early
> releases were sung entirely in French. Shades of Celine Dion's career in
> the 1980s.

Ironically, the USA was one of the few places this wasn't a big hit.

>> 7.  (16) Yes    Wonderous Stories
>
> The only UK act in the top 10 with one of the most unlikeliest top 10
> hits of 1977.

I suppose by the standards of previous Yes albums this was a more
commercial sound. I was slightly surprised to learn that the four-minute
single version isn't actually an edit, it's straight off the album.

>> 8.  (11) Danny Mirror    I Remember Elvis Presley
>
> Just awful. At least this was meant as a heartfelt ribute to Elvis by
> the Dutchman.

He turned it around quickly too, I'll give him that.

>Follow up single 'We Wish You (A Merry Christmas)' was
> enough to have Elvis turning in his grave
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9D9Ugnppdk
>
> I don't know if he's trying to sound like Elvis in the above (and
> failing badly) or if that is his natural singing voice.

Surely he is trying (and failing). At least he's not singing about Elvis
in the Elvis voice, I guess.

> Either way it's
> worse than his hit single. Fortunately his Christmas single was only
> released in the Netherlands.

On the other hand, he did co-write 'Ding-A-Dong' by Teach-In.

>> 9.   (6) Meri Wilson    Telephone Man
>
> A silly novelty record. Meri's career seems to have been guided by car
> accidents. Her first car accident was in 1975 and left her in a body
> cast for months. She passed the time by writing novelty songs thus
> moving her (until then) unsuccessful music career in a more successful
> direction. Unfortunately a second car accident in 2002 killed both her
> career and sadly Meri herself stone dead.

I suppose this was even less suited to people wanting to play it after
she died than the Elvis one.

>> 10.  (5) Donna Summer    Down Deep Inside
>
> Donna Summer's cahrt career went into overdrive in the second half of
> 1977. This is the theme tune from a long forgotten fil called "The
> Deep". Not her best but not too bad. Co-written by Donna and John Barry.

Makes sense if it's a film theme.

>> 11.  (4) Jean-Michel Jarre    Oxygene Part IV
>
> An influential artist. While this track isn't bad I always thought it
> was a bit lighweight.

Someone did point out that you can sing "Oxygene Part 4, Oxygene Part 4,
Jean-Michel Jarre"
I saw the Electronic Music exhibition a couple of a weeks ago and they
had a reconstruction of his studio.

>> 12. (10) Elkie Brooks    Sunshine After The Rain
>
> Miss Warbly Voice but I quite like this one.

It does suit the song, which might have been too bland with a smoother
voice.

>> 13. (20) The Stranglers    No More Heroes
>
> One of their best singles. Great song.

Good work from all four of them.

>> 14. (24) Baccara    Yes Sir I Can Boogie
>
> On its way to number 1. Awful song by the two Spanish ladies.

A classic case of a hit single that breaks the fourth wall.

>> 15. (14) The Boomtown Rats    Looking After Number One
>
> I quite liked this one.

Not their most exciting.

>> 16. (18) Ram Jam    Black Betty
>
> And this one too. And even the 1990 remix.

Seemed an odd song to remix.

>> 17. (21) Donna Summer I Remember Yesterday
>
> From her concept album of the same name that had already spawned the
> number 1 single 'I Remember Yesterday'. I think only Donna could have
> got away with this strange mix of disco and a 1940s sound.

I suppose Doop was more 1920s.

>> 18. (15) Rods    Do Anything You Wanna Do
>
> I bought this single. Great song. Produced and co-written by Ed Hollis,
> the late brother of the now late Mark Hollis of Talk Talk.

Though apparently he wasn't the "Eddie" in the band name.

>> 19. (13) The Dooleys    I Think I'm Gonna Fall In love With You
>
> Dreaful song by a dreadful band.

Some of their songs had some entertainment value.

>> 20. (12) Carly Simon    Nobody Does It Better
>
> Theme to the James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me". Great song.

Certainly one of the best Bond themes.

>> 23. (27) David Essex    Cool Out Tonight
>
> He was struggling with mid chart mediocrity by now.

And not as interesting musically as earlier either.

>> 25. (30) Giorgio    From Here To Eternity
>
> An excellent elctro-disco single from Giorgio Moroder.

No connection to the film, I think.

>> 26. (23) The Adverts    Gary Gilmore's Eyes
>
> A good song but probably not something to be taken seriously.

I guess it's a kind of grotesque novelty.

>Previous
> single 'One Chord Wonders' is much better
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKocNP6WIk
>
> In places the above reminds me of 'Wild World' by Cat Stevens.

I'd never thought of that before but it makes sense.

>> 28. (NE) The Clash    Complete Control
>
> This fell from the all-important top 30 (which was all Radio 1 broadcast
> at the time) the following week. At the time it was a very rare example
> of a single entering so high up the chart and falling the following week.

Which seems to imply it was only really selling to existing fans, though
understandable as it was basically them moaning about their record company.
Also their first single with Topper Headon.

>> 32. (NE) Status Quo    Rockin' All Over The World
>
> One of my favourite Quo records. Great song.

Not sure it's quite my favourite but it really seems to encapsulate the
"classic" Quo sound.

>> 33. (32) Stevie Wonder    Another Star
>
> From 'Songs In The Key Of Life', one of the best albums of the 1970s.

Also used for World Cup coverage a few years ago IIRC.

>> 46. (NE) Peter Blake    Lipsmackin' Rock N' Rollin'
>
> Started life as a Pepsi Coke advert.

Yes, I recently saw that ad for the first time. It could be described as
"of its time" even though it's set about 20 years before.

>> 49. (NE) The Carpenters    Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
>> (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day)
>
> By The Carpenters standards, a very bizarre song. A cover of a track by
> Canadian band Klaatu.

Klaatu's other great claim to fame is of course that their album didn't
have their names or photos on the cover so somebody started a rumour
they were The Beatles.

> STAR BREAKERS

> b02 (b05) RIGHT ON TIME - Brothers Johnson

Not as good as Stomp but OK.

> b03 (NEW) HIGHER & HIGHER - Rita Coolidge (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at
> No. 49)

Not sure this cover was necessary.

> b04 (b03) SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE - Rosetta Stone

I suppose doing this cover on a synthesiser was noteworthy at the time.

> b05 (NEW) IT'S ECSTASY WHEN YOU LAY DOWN NEXT TO ME - Barry White (Chart
> Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 41)

Not his most memorable.

> b06 (NEW) I BELIEVE YOU - Dorothy Moore (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 46)
> b07 (b06) THEME FROM BIG TIME - Smokey Robinson

A bit of a move from the Miracles sound.

> b08 (NEW) YOU MAKE LOVING FUN - Fleetwood Mac
> b09 (NEW) SHE'S NOT THERE - Santana (Chart Entry 15-Oct-1977 at No. 50)

And the two tracks that are probably best-known now are at the bottom of
this chart.

Chris

Mark Goodge

Oct 17, 2020, 4:23:28 PM10/17/20
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 11:12:14 +0100, Chris Brown <extrem...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Well, I'm not in Indiana but it's windy and rainy enough in Harrow
>today, thanks.
>
>Anyway, you may have missed amid all the other news around these days
>that Pamela Hutchinson of The Emotions died last month. In this, the
>week of their biggest hit, people were already paying tribute to to
>another star who had recently died, as well as attempting to revive the
>1950s more generally. And you can tell this is a long time ago, becuase
>James Bond films used to come out when they were supposed to.
>
>Playlists are here and quite full.
>https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5DSWtdXIwuTpgStbp1gzcS?si=qly-V57TS92IZp5EX9nnnA
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqNoMMZYIa6l1QPO9BDrsDr
>
>Chart dated: 8th October 1977

This is very much a chart that brings back memories. Chilly autumn
evenings (the house had no central heating) sitting in my bedroom making
mixtapes from Radio Luxembourg. Fortunately, home taping didn't kill
music, otherwise we'd have little left to discuss now!

Having said that, it's not a hugely classic chart. There are several in
here that are very evocative of the era, but not that many which would
get much airplay outside a dedicated 70s channel or show. But,
nonetheless, it's also very much part of the turn-of-the-decade era of a
few years either side of 1980 that gave us some of the most seminal pop
music of the 20th century.

>1. (2) David Soul Silver Lady

I wasn't particularly fond of this track at the time, and it hasn't
really grown on me since either. It's not bad, but it's nothing special.

>2. (1) Elvis Presley Way Down

A posthumous number one, of course. But unlike some other artists who
died before their time, his death didn't really come as much of a shock.

>3. (8) La Belle Epoque Black Is Black

This is one that is very evocative of the era. It was one of my
favourites at the time.

>4. (7) The Emotions Best Of My Love

Bland.

>5. (3) Space Magic Fly

Early synth stuff, very much of its era now but clearly also a precursor
to the likes of Daft Punk.

>6. (9) Patsy Gallant From New York To L.A.

I've got a friend who lives in L.A. Little 'ampton, that is.

>7. (16) Yes Wonderous Stories

Classic prog rock. One of my favourites at the time.

>8. (11) Danny Mirror I Remember Elvis Presley

This was pretty awful, really. On several different levels.

>9. (6) Meri Wilson Telephone Man

An exercise in how many double entendres you can squeeze into one song.

>10. (5) Donna Summer Down Deep Inside

The first from this chart that I don't actually remember from the time.

>11. (4) Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene Part IV

More early synth stuff. The video has a very 70s sci-fi feel to it, all
flashing lights, wires, knobs and buttons. Even now there's a bit of me
that wishes computers still looked like that.

>12. (10) Elkie Brooks Sunshine After The Rain

Bland.

>13. (20) The Stranglers No More Heroes

This, of course, is a stone cold classic.

>14. (24) Baccara Yes Sir I Can Boogie

I quite liked this at the time. I find it a bit irritating now, though.

>15. (14) The Boomtown Rats Looking After Number One

Their chart debut. They were fairly generic punk, at this stage in their
career.

>16. (18) Ram Jam Black Betty

This is the kind of stuff that punk was about to make obsolete. Not that
we knew it at the time.

>17. (21) Donna Summer I Remember Yesterday

Slightly strange song.

>18. (15) Rods Do Anything You Wanna Do

Very much of its time.

>19. (13) The Dooleys I Think I'm Gonna Fall In love With You

Generic disco.

>20. (12) Carly Simon Nobody Does It Better

The second best Bond theme ever, according to NME. Although I'm not sure
that I'd agree with their ranking. The title sequence featuring the
song, though, is definitely one of the best.

>24. (44) Meco Star Wars Theme

A cover of a classic movie theme tune that somehow manages to make it
sound like the theme to Dallas.

>32. (NE) Status Quo Rockin' All Over The World

Some songs seem as if they've been around forever. So it makes me feel a
little old, given that I can remember when this first charted.

>38. (49) Pratt And McClain Happy Days

It was clearly the in thing for theme tunes to chart.

>49. (NE) The Carpenters Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The
>Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day)

This is, quite possibly, the world's most annoying song. Although The
Carpenters do have several entries in that particular competition.

Mark

Rink

Sep 25, 2021, 5:25:59 AM9/25/21
Op 11-10-2020 om 17:33 schreef Chris Brown:
> On 04/10/2020 16:06, Robbie wrote:
>> On 04/10/2020 11:12, Chris Brown wrote:

>>> 26. (23) The Adverts    Gary Gilmore's Eyes
>>
>> A good song but probably not something to be taken seriously.
>
> I guess it's a kind of grotesque novelty.
>
>> Previous single 'One Chord Wonders' is much better
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USKocNP6WIk
>>
>> In places the above reminds me of 'Wild World' by Cat Stevens.
>
> I'd never thought of that before but it makes sense.

Thank you for this great punk song I did not know !

Rink