You’d better shape up, here’s an old chart from 1978

Chris Brown

Jul 23, 2021, 1:48:30 PM7/23/21
I should have posted this at the weekend but it’s already old.
I think the most topical it gets is that they Hammersmith Bridge has reopened. But you can’t walk over it to the Palais because it’s not there anymore.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J87jeSqQ2Idgqn0uD5L3g?si=fcxOb4oETOWYwF9xlPFcww&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqxLQF6J9LJ8vR5WxQ1-Zdf

Chart dated 22nd July 1978

1 (1) John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - You’re The One That I Want
2 (2) Father Abraham & The Smurfs - The Smurf Song
3 (3) Marshall Hain - Dancing In The City
4 (17) Clout - Substitute
5 (8) Showaddywaddy - A Little Bit Of Soap
6 (6) The Boomtown Rats - Like Clockwork
7 (19) Electric Light Orchestra - Wild West Hero
8 (5) The Motors - Airport
9 (9) Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes
10 (11) A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
11 (7) The Sex Pistols - No One Is Innocent/My Way
12 (13) The O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl
13 (4) James Galway - Annie's Song
14 (12) Lindisfarne - Run For Home
15 (14) Heatwave - Mind Blowing Decisions
16 (26) Saturday Night Band - Come On Dance, Dance
17 (15) San Jose - Argentine Melody
18 (16) Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
19 (10) The Rolling Stones - Miss You
20 (18) Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon/Brown Girl In The Ring
21 (23) Bob Marley & The Wailers - Satisfy My Soul
22 (37) Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good
23 (36) City Boy - 5705
24 (20) Goldie - Making Up Again
25 (40) Justin Hayward - Forever Autumn
26 (24) AC/DC - Rock And Roll Damnation
27 (30) Voyage - From East To West/Scotch Machine
28 (22) Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Davy's On The Road Again
29 (21) Brotherhood Of Man - Beautiful Love
30 (34) Gladys Knight & The Pips - Come Back And Finish What You Started
31 (32) Jackson Browne - Stay
32 (25) Smokie - Oh Carol
33 (31) Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel
34 (41) Buzzcocks - Love You More
35 (48) Steel Pulse - Prodigal Son
36 (27) The Bee Gees - Night Fever
37 (29) Andrew Gold - How Can This Be Love
38 (47) Raydio - Is This A Love Thing
39 (50) Evelyn "Champagne" King - Shame
40 (39) Billy Joel - Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)

41 (63) Renaissance - Northern Lights
42 (42) Wings - I've Had Enough
43 (45) Genesis - Many Too Many
44 (NE) The Who - Who Are You?
45 (43) Sine - Just Let Me Do My Thing
46 (75) Foreigner - Cold As Ice
47 (33) Plastic Bertrand - Ça Plane Pour Moi
48 (49) The Commodores - Flying High
49 (NE) KC & The Sunshine Band - It's The Same Old Song
50 (NE) David Gates - Took The Last Train
51 (44) Darts - The Boy From New York City
52 (56) Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
53 (28) Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
54 (38) The Clash - (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
55 (61) Rick James - You And I
56 (35) David Soul - It Sure Brings Out The Love In Your Eyes
57 (51) The Trammps - Disco Inferno
58 (46) Thin Lizzy - Rosalie (live)
59 (60) Hi-Tension - Hi-Tension
60 (72) The New Seekers - Anthem
61 (55) Bootsy's Rubber Band - Bootzilla
62 (53) J.A.L.N. Band - Get Up (And Let Yourself Go)
63 (70) Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
64 (58) JKD Band - Dragon Power
65 (52) Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
66 (59) Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song EP
67 (NE) Sheila B. Devotion - You Light My Fire
68 (NE) Diana Ross - Lovin' Livin' And Givin'
69 (54) John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air
70 (NE) Suzi Quatro - The Race Is On
71 (NE) Carol Douglas - Night Fever
72 (62) Donna Summer - Last Dance
73 (NE) Child - It's Only Make Believe
74 (NE) X-Ray Spex - Identity
75 (NE) Yellow Dog - Wait Until Midnight

Mark Goodge

Jul 23, 2021, 3:41:21 PM7/23/21
On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:48:30 -0700 (PDT), Chris Brown
<extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I should have posted this at the weekend but it’s already old.
>I think the most topical it gets is that they Hammersmith Bridge has reopened.
>But you can’t walk over it to the Palais because it’s not there anymore.
>
>https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J87jeSqQ2Idgqn0uD5L3g?si=fcxOb4oETOWYwF9xlPFcww&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
>https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqxLQF6J9LJ8vR5WxQ1-Zdf
>

>Chart dated 22nd July 1978

This is an interesting chart. There are some very good songs in here, as
well as some songs by acts that are more famous for their very good
songs. And there are also some very bad songs, but then every chart has
at least some of those.

I remember this all very well, being a teenager at the time and very
much into music.

I've seen one act in this chart play live, and (very briefly) met one
member of a different act.

>1 (1) John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - You’re The One That I Want

I saw the movie in the Rex Cinema in the High Street of my nearest town.
A year later it was demolished and replaced by a Boots store. I don't
think there was any causal link.

>2 (2) Father Abraham & The Smurfs - The Smurf Song

Little known trivia fact: this single holds the record for the longest
continuous time spent at No.2 in the chart.

Another little known trivia fact: The Smurfs are, arguably, the most
famous set of cartoon characters to originate in Belgium. Or, at least,
would be if people realised that's where they came from.

>3 (3) Marshall Hain - Dancing In The City

Not particularly memorable.

>4 (17) Clout - Substitute

The video you originally picked for the YouTube playlist turns out to be
blocked for me. So here's an alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgA_yNCeq4

Little known trivia fact: the above video, despite being from the Dutch
"TopPop" show, was used on TotP rather than the band performing/miming
in the studio. That's because the band were South African, and at the
time, Equity had an official boycott of South African performers which
prevented them from appearing in person.

>5 (8) Showaddywaddy - A Little Bit Of Soap

Not one of their best. Or one of their best remembered.

>6 (6) The Boomtown Rats - Like Clockwork

An interesting early Rats single, before they're really made up their
minds about what direction to take. This is actually a pretty good song,
it's just that it has, of course, been massively overshadowed by its
successor.

>7 (19) Electric Light Orchestra - Wild West Hero

Possibly a little surprisingly, this reached exactly the same chart peak
as both its immediate predecessor and immediate successor - a straight
run of three consecutive number 6s. But nobody remembers this now,
whereas those either side have become gold format staples. And one of
those is now considered an all-time great.

>8 (5) The Motors - Airport

Early new romantic/synth pop vibes from a band that didn't last long
enough to cash in when it hit the big time.

>9 (9) Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes

Classic song. Is there any early Kate Bush song that isn't a classic?
Nonetheless, this - probably more so than Wuthering Heights, even though
that's one of my all time favourite songs - is one that really brings
back memories of the time for me.

>10 (11) A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

This time, you've managed to select a deleted video for the playlist! So
here's an alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IYWwWnpuA

I've got nothing to say about the song.

>11 (7) The Sex Pistols - No One Is Innocent/My Way

If the Pistols can be said to have jumped the shark, this is probably
where they jumped it.

>12 (13) The O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8SBcGNRWc if you prefer an
unblocked version :-)

>13 (4) James Galway - Annie's Song

Probably the best novelty song in this chart. Well, it's not really a
novelty as such, but an acoustic cover of a C&W staple performed on the
flute probably pushes it into that category.

>18 (16) Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Good song. For some reason, I thought this was older than this.

>20 (18) Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon/Brown Girl In The Ring

I liked both of these at the time.

>36 (27) The Bee Gees - Night Fever

All time disco classic.

>41 (63) Renaissance - Northern Lights

One of my favourites at the time. So much so, in fact, that this was the
first single I ever bought.

>43 (45) Genesis - Many Too Many

Another one of my favourites from the time.

>47 (33) Plastic Bertrand - Ça Plane Pour Moi

As was this. Probably the most famous musician ever to come out of
Belgium (and no, the Smurfs don't count, because although their
cartoonist was Belgian the music was Dutch).

Apparently this song doesn't mean anything in French either. It's just a
set of random words and phrases set to music.

https://tinyurl.com/hsptv9a3

>63 (70) Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina

A slightly left-field hit, but nonetheless a very good one.

>65 (52) Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You

Apropos nothing in particular, Yvonne Elliman was Andrew Lloyd Webber's
first choice to perform Don't Cry For Me Argentina, but she wasn't
available.

Mark

Chris Brown

Jul 23, 2021, 6:53:25 PM7/23/21
On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 8:41:21 PM UTC+1, Mark Goodge wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:48:30 -0700 (PDT), Chris Brown
> <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I should have posted this at the weekend but it’s already old.

Maybe that’s what’s up with all the YouTube clips.

> >https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J87jeSqQ2Idgqn0uD5L3g?si=fcxOb4oETOWYwF9xlPFcww&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
> >https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqxLQF6J9LJ8vR5WxQ1-Zdf
> >

> >Chart dated 22nd July 1978
> This is an interesting chart. There are some very good songs in here, as
> well as some songs by acts that are more famous for their very good
> songs. And there are also some very bad songs, but then every chart has
> at least some of those.

There are some songs that are theoretically good but that I’m so tired of I don’t care.

> >1 (1) John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - You’re The One That I Want
> I saw the movie in the Rex Cinema in the High Street of my nearest town.
> A year later it was demolished and replaced by a Boots store. I don't
> think there was any causal link.

I’ve never seen the film in its entirety, in Boots or elsewhere.

> >2 (2) Father Abraham & The Smurfs - The Smurf Song
> Little known trivia fact: this single holds the record for the longest
> continuous time spent at No.2 in the chart.

It did at the time but All-4-One and Maroon 5 overtook them. Possibly still the longest run by an act without a digit in their name though?

> Another little known trivia fact: The Smurfs are, arguably, the most
> famous set of cartoon characters to originate in Belgium. Or, at least,
> would be if people realised that's where they came from.

If we discount Tintin as being better known than his ancillary characters, that seems fair.

> >3 (3) Marshall Hain - Dancing In The City
> Not particularly memorable.

Enough to get a couple of remixes.

> >4 (17) Clout - Substitute
> The video you originally picked for the YouTube playlist turns out to be
> blocked for me. So here's an alternative:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgA_yNCeq4
>
> Little known trivia fact: the above video, despite being from the Dutch
> "TopPop" show, was used on TotP rather than the band performing/miming
> in the studio. That's because the band were South African, and at the
> time, Equity had an official boycott of South African performers which
> prevented them from appearing in person.

I can just about remember those days.

> >5 (8) Showaddywaddy - A Little Bit Of Soap
> Not one of their best. Or one of their best remembered.

I struggle with the idea that any Showaddywaddy single is better than any other. But I totally agree on the second part.

> >6 (6) The Boomtown Rats - Like Clockwork
> An interesting early Rats single, before they're really made up their
> minds about what direction to take. This is actually a pretty good song,

…but then they decided to go in a different direction afterwards.

> it's just that it has, of course, been massively overshadowed by its
> successor.

And that has in turn been overshadowed by another one.

> >7 (19) Electric Light Orchestra - Wild West Hero
> Possibly a little surprisingly, this reached exactly the same chart peak
> as both its immediate predecessor and immediate successor - a straight
> run of three consecutive number 6s. But nobody remembers this now,
> whereas those either side have become gold format staples. And one of
> those is now considered an all-time great.

And they’re all on the best-of albums so it’s not like people haven’t had the chance to hear them.

> >8 (5) The Motors - Airport
> Early new romantic/synth pop vibes from a band that didn't last long
> enough to cash in when it hit the big time.

I guess they did alright from sync rights every time someone mentioned an airport on TV for the next 30 years though.

> >9 (9) Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes
> Classic song. Is there any early Kate Bush song that isn't a classic?

I guess there are a few that only really make sense in context.

> >10 (11) A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
> This time, you've managed to select a deleted video for the playlist! So
> here's an alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IYWwWnpuA

Ah, I realise what’s happened - because YouTube finds it so difficult to show playlists in the right order in the library, I inadvertently linked to an earlier incarnation of the playlist where quite a lot of the videos have gone.

> >11 (7) The Sex Pistols - No One Is Innocent/My Way
> If the Pistols can be said to have jumped the shark, this is probably
> where they jumped it.

Yeah, I suppose the question is whether there was ever a shark for them to jump.

> >12 (13) The O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl
> Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8SBcGNRWc if you prefer an
> unblocked version :-)

I mean, it’s no Back Stabbers.

> >13 (4) James Galway - Annie's Song
> Probably the best novelty song in this chart. Well, it's not really a
> novelty as such, but an acoustic cover of a C&W staple performed on the
> flute probably pushes it into that category.

More novel than novelty, you might say.

> >18 (16) Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
> Good song. For some reason, I thought this was older than this.

From a 1976 album (and I think it was a US hit at that time). Not sure why it took so long to take off here.

> >36 (27) The Bee Gees - Night Fever
> All time disco classic.

Yep, I think this might be my favourite of their Saturday Night Fever songs.
By the way I think the Foo Fighters version was Okay, but wouldn’t have been worth £27 plus train fares to me.

> >41 (63) Renaissance - Northern Lights
> One of my favourites at the time. So much so, in fact, that this was the
> first single I ever bought.

Took me over 40 years to buy it, but I bought it on my way home from a job interview and I got the job so I have quite a soft spot for it.

> >43 (45) Genesis - Many Too Many
> Another one of my favourites from the time.

Failing to repeat the success of Follow You Follow Me. I guess actual Genesis fans weren’t really into buying singles.

> >47 (33) Plastic Bertrand - Ça Plane Pour Moi
> As was this. Probably the most famous musician ever to come out of
> Belgium (and no, the Smurfs don't count, because although their
> cartoonist was Belgian the music was Dutch).

I guess the Belgian house acts who had hits in the 80s and 90s weren’t personally famous.

> Apparently this song doesn't mean anything in French either. It's just a
> set of random words and phrases set to music.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/hsptv9a3

They are at least actual words though.

> >63 (70) Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
> A slightly left-field hit, but nonetheless a very good one.

Wasn’t the World Cup in Argentina at the time of this chart?

> >65 (52) Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
> Apropos nothing in particular, Yvonne Elliman was Andrew Lloyd Webber's
> first choice to perform Don't Cry For Me Argentina, but she wasn't
> available.

She didn’t get to be in the film did she?

Chris Brown

Jul 23, 2021, 7:06:33 PM7/23/21
On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 11:53:25 PM UTC+1, Chris Brown wrote:
> On Friday, July 23, 2021 at 8:41:21 PM UTC+1, Mark Goodge wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:48:30 -0700 (PDT), Chris Brown
> > <extrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I should have posted this at the weekend but it’s already old.
> Maybe that’s what’s up with all the YouTube clips.
> > >https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J87jeSqQ2Idgqn0uD5L3g?si=fcxOb4oETOWYwF9xlPFcww&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
>

> > >Chart dated 22nd July 1978

> Ah, I realise what’s happened - because YouTube finds it so difficult to show playlists in the right order in the library, I inadvertently linked to an earlier incarnation of the playlist where quite a lot of the videos have gone.

Here’s the right version
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNrG9JsgSZ1yKguubv0uCTJa

Chris

Rink

Oct 1, 2021, 4:04:00 PM10/1/21
Op 23-7-2021 om 19:48 schreef Chris Brown:
> I should have posted this at the weekend but it’s already old.
> I think the most topical it gets is that they Hammersmith Bridge has reopened. But you can’t walk over it to the Palais because it’s not there anymore.
>
> <https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J87jeSqQ2Idgqn0uD5L3g?si=fcxOb4oETOWYwF9xlPFcww&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1>
> <https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNqxLQF6J9LJ8vR5WxQ1-Zdf>
>

> Chart dated 22nd July 1978
>

> 12 (13) The O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl

The best (according to me....! ) of The O'Jays is:
Love Train

Here's the "Disco Purrfection Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmFJ5UN8o0

Rink