This old chart from 1974 may be the famine or the feast. Probably the former if you're after good songs.

Chris Brown

Jul 8, 2018, 9:44:22 AM7/8/18
So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
chart itself. Still, as I post this there's a heatwave in much of
Britain and the chart contains one of the records every radio DJ digs up
when it's sunny for two consecutive days.

https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5L0WRLLcQBaclJs4OAaU6x?si=uptSYbodT_mRHsnTRaPZXQ
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq4ekLLFbxX2KRGEUpmg30l

Chart dated: 13th July 1974

1. (1) Charles Aznavour She
2. (2) The Drifters Kissin' In The Back Row
3. (4) Slade Bangin' Man
4. (15) George McCrae Rock Your Baby
5. (6) Lobo I'd Love You To Want Me
6. (8) Leo Sayer One Man Band
7. (27) Paul McCartney And Wings Band On The Run
8. (9) Gary Puckett And The Union Gap Young Girl {1974 reissue}
9. (3) Gary Glitter Always Yours
10. (11) 10cc Wall Street Shuffle
11. (5) Showaddywaddy Hey Rock And Roll
12. (12) Wombles Banana Rock
13. (16) Roy Wood Going Down The Road
14. (24) Suzi Quatro Too Big
15. (10) Pearls Guilty
16. (7) Ray Stevens The Streak
17. (21) First Class Beach Baby
18. (NE) The Sweet The Six Teens
19. (18) Elton John Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
20. (26) Terry Jacks If You Go Away
21. (28) David Bowie Diamond Dogs
22. (25) Neil Sedaka Laughter In The Rain
23. (13) Arrows A Touch Too Much
24. (14) The Scaffold Liverpool Lou
25. (23) Cozy Powell The Man In Black
26. (36) Maria Muldaur Midnight At The Oasis
27. (17) R Dean Taylor There's A Ghost In My House
28. (37) Main Ingredient Just Don't Want To Be Lonely
29. (47) The Intruders (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner
30. (30) Thunderthighs Central Park Arrest
31. (50) Jim Stafford My Girl Bill
32. (20) Alan Price Jarrow Song
33. (NE) The Three Degrees When Will I See You Again
34. (NE) T.Rex Light Of Love
35. (34) Mott The Hoople Foxy Foxy
36. (29) Lynsey De Paul Ooh I Do
37. (31) Bad Company Can't Get Enough
38. (19) Cockney Rebel Judy Teen
39. (48) William DeVaughn Be Thankful For What You've Got (1980)
40. (NE) Rubettes Tonight
41. (22) The Isley Brothers Summer Breeze
42. (38) Peters And Lee Don't Stay Away Too Long
43. (32) Scotland World Cup Squad Easy Easy
44. (NE) The Stylistics You Make Me Feel Brand New
45. (NE) Mike Oldfield Theme From Tubular Bells
46. (49) Wombles Remember You're A Womble
47. (NE) Elvis Presley If You Talk In Your Sleep
48. (NE) ABBA Ring Ring
49. (40) Paper Lace The Night Chicago Died
50. (46) The Staple Singers If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)

Chris

Vidcapper

Jul 8, 2018, 11:35:55 AM7/8/18
On 08/07/2018 14:44, Chris Brown wrote:

> Chart dated: 13th July 1974
>
> 7. (27) Paul McCartney And Wings Band On The Run

> 11. (5) Showaddywaddy Hey Rock And Roll

> 33. (NE) The Three Degrees When Will I See You Again

> 45. (NE) Mike Oldfield Theme From Tubular Bells
> 46. (49) Wombles Remember You're A Womble

> 48. (NE) ABBA Ring Ring

That's more than I thought I'd know from this chart.

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Chris Brown

Jul 8, 2018, 6:24:56 PM7/8/18
Still not very many, mind you.

Chris

Vidcapper

Jul 9, 2018, 2:16:54 AM7/9/18
Well, I was only 8 at the time... :p

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Col

Jul 9, 2018, 5:10:16 AM7/9/18
On 08/07/2018 14:44, Chris Brown wrote:
> So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
> chart itself.

The Scottish World Cup squad are in there though, down at no.43.
England of course didn't even qualify in 1974.

There are only two tracks that I can definitely recall from the time.

> 1.     (1)    Charles Aznavour    She
> 2.     (2)    The Drifters    Kissin' In The Back Row
> 3.     (4)    Slade    Bangin' Man
> 4.    (15)    George McCrae    Rock Your Baby
> 5.     (6)    Lobo    I'd Love You To Want Me
> 6.     (8)    Leo Sayer    One Man Band
> 7.    (27)    Paul McCartney And Wings    Band On The Run

My parents had the album and it must have been one of their favourites
as they were always playing it so I remember this one well. It's a good
track.
> 46.    (49)    Wombles    Remember You're A Womble

As I was 6 years old at the time, it's perhaps not surprising this is
the other track I recall from the time. Looking back, it's amazing to
think just how huge the Wombles were in chart terms. It's difficult to
imagine children's TV characters having so many hits today.

> 39. (48) William DeVaughn Be Thankful For What You've Got (1980)

I suspect he is thankful for having a time machine as he appears to have
managed to release a track in 1974 that was recorded in 1980 :)

--
Col

Chris Brown

Jul 9, 2018, 5:45:18 PM7/9/18
On 09/07/2018 10:10, Col wrote:> On 08/07/2018 14:44, Chris Brown wrote:
>> So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
>> chart itself.
>
> The Scottish World Cup squad are in there though, down at no.43.
> England of course didn't even qualify in 1974.

Speaking of England and Scotland, I forgot to mention that one record in
this chart includes an uncredited (and unintentional) cameo by Rod
Stewart. So if you can spot it, award yourself five points.

> There are only two tracks that I can definitely recall from the time.

Two more than I could, obviously.

>> 1. (1) Charles Aznavour She
>> 2. (2) The Drifters Kissin' In The Back Row
>> 3. (4) Slade Bangin' Man
>> 4. (15) George McCrae Rock Your Baby
>> 5. (6) Lobo I'd Love You To Want Me
>> 6. (8) Leo Sayer One Man Band
>> 7. (27) Paul McCartney And Wings Band On The Run
>
> My parents had the album and it must have been one of their favourites
> as they were always playing it so I remember this one well. It's a good
> track.
Oddly, I don't think my parents did have this album in the 1970s (or
80s) even though they were both Beatles fans. I think maybe it was
because they were students when it came out and maybe Wings were seen as
a little bit too uncool then.

>> 46. (49) Wombles Remember You're A Womble
>
> As I was 6 years old at the time, it's perhaps not surprising this is
> the other track I recall from the time. Looking back, it's amazing to
> think just how huge the Wombles were in chart terms. It's difficult to
> imagine children's TV characters having so many hits today.

Despite the growth of the "ironic" student audience this seems right.

> > 39. (48) William DeVaughn Be Thankful For What You've Got
> (1980)
>
> I suspect he is thankful for having a time machine as he appears to have
> managed to release a track in 1974 that was recorded in 1980 :)
The man's a genius!

I think this is actually an artefact of the source merging the chart
runs of the 1974 and 1980 versions. Although I believe they're different
recording so they shouldn't have.

Chris

Robbie

Jul 15, 2018, 9:12:18 AM7/15/18
Chris Brown wrote:
> So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
> chart itself. Still, as I post this there's a heatwave in much of
> Britain and the chart contains one of the records every radio DJ digs up
> when it's sunny for two consecutive days.
>
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5L0WRLLcQBaclJs4OAaU6x?si=uptSYbodT_mRHsnTRaPZXQ
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq4ekLLFbxX2KRGEUpmg30l
>
> Chart dated: 13th July 1974

44 years ago - yikes! Especially as I recognise just about every record
in this chart.

> 1. (1) Charles Aznavour She

I remember this being number 1. I doubt it was being bought by many
youngsters. I've never liked the record.

> 2. (2) The Drifters Kissin' In The Back Row

I owned this one, bought some time later from a shop in Newcastle that
sold ex-jukebox singles. Decent song.

> 3. (4) Slade Bangin' Man

One of their more forgotten songs these days. Although we didn't know it
at the time 1974 was the end of their years as one of the most popular
groups in the charts. Their fortunes would wane in 1975.

> 4. (15) George McCrae Rock Your Baby

The first disco number 1? Probably. Good song though I vaguely recall
not being that keen on this when I first heard it. There was industrial
action at the BBC which took Top Of the Pops off air for several weeks
from mid June to early August. It has long been suggested that this
worked in favour of this record, helping it to number 1 because the
usual bands that would appear on Top Of The Pops didn't get their usual
boost in sales. I'm not sure how much I buy into that.

> 5. (6) Lobo I'd Love You To Want Me

A big radio hit at the time. I think I may have sort of liked this one
then. It doesn't sound that good now, far too MOR.

> 6. (8) Leo Sayer One Man Band

Back when Leo was trying to be taken seriously as an artist. His
releases were certainly more versatile than later in his career, once
'When I Need You' reached the top. OK song.

> 7. (27) Paul McCartney And Wings Band On The Run

This is my favourite Paul McCartney single. An excellent single that I
remember loving back then.

> 8. (9) Gary Puckett And The Union Gap Young Girl {1974 reissue}

Dodgy lyrics alert.

> 9. (3) Gary Glitter Always Yours

Dodgy person alert.

> 10. (11) 10cc Wall Street Shuffle

They always seemed to be too clever by far which made them irritating to
some people. I was largely indifferent to them for much of the time.

> 11. (5) Showaddywaddy Hey Rock And Roll

Quite a good party record, full of hand clapping and foot stomping. And
of course before they started just been a 1950s and 1960s covers band.

> 12. (12) Wombles Banana Rock

My sister owned this one. Dreadful in every way.

> 13. (16) Roy Wood Going Down The Road

Not one he is best remembered for. His solo career would soon grind to a
halt as would Wizzard's.

> 14. (24) Suzi Quatro Too Big

Not one of her better efforts.

> 15. (10) Pearls Guilty

The singers (at least the public face even if they didn't actually sing
on the actual record) were two of the original Brotherhood Of Man while
the producer was Phil "The Collector" Swern. Decent enough 60s pastiche.

> 16. (7) Ray Stevens The Streak

Streaking was a 1974 craze, captured here in all its (naked and ugly)
glory by Ray Stevens. I didn't like the record then and haven't changed
my mind to this day.

> 17. (21) First Class Beach Baby

Another tie in to the original Brotherhood Of Man here as one of the
vocalists is Tony Burrows who sang on BoM's hit 'United We Stand'. I did
like this one back then.

> 18. (NE) The Sweet The Six Teens

Simply superb. Another single I picked up from that ex-jukebox shop in
Newcastle. This heralded the end of an era for The Sweet who were now
leaving their long term songwriting team and producer behind. This was
their last single together.

> 19. (18) Elton John Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Better than the 1991 live version with George Michael. Is this the one
that features Rod Stewart? It's a complete guess but nothing else seems
to stand out for me.

> 20. (26) Terry Jacks If You Go Away

I quite like this one. In terms of sales it is dwarfed by 'Seasons In
The Sun' but this is the better song to me.

> 21. (28) David Bowie Diamond Dogs

Technically this was credited solely to "Bowie" as it seems so were all
his other 1974 singles that were manufactured in the US for the UK
market. The usual RCA factory that would have pressed up all his singles
- which was based in my town - was hit by the three day week, strikes
and a need to get Elvis and Perry Como albums out so in a rather strange
move his first three singles in 1974 were all manufactured in the US and
shipped over to the UK. This meant a lack of singles on the market which
partially accounts for why the singles either had short chart careers or
underperformed.

> 26. (36) Maria Muldaur Midnight At The Oasis

One record I definitely recall from the time and one which I have always
loved.

> 29. (47) The Intruders (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner

Strangely, last Sunday just before I saw that you'd posted a 1974 chart
I was humming this record to myself!

> 30. (30) Thunderthighs Central Park Arrest

Thunderthighs were the three women who sang backing vocals on 'Walk On
The Wild Side' by Lou Reed. This is the first record in the chart that I
don't recall from the time. It's a good track, written by Lynsey De Paul.

> 35. (34) Mott The Hoople Foxy Foxy

Another original Brotherhood Of man tie-in as the original female
singers (who mimed The Pearls vocals for public appearances) actually do
sing on this track. Mott's other female backing vocalists? The three
women from Thunderthighs.

> 36. (29) Lynsey De Paul Ooh I Do

Speaking of which...

> 39. (48) William DeVaughn Be Thankful For What You've Got

I bought this 1974 single in about 1980 or 1981 from that same Newcastle
ex-jukebox shop. It's much better than the 1980s remake, it's slower but
more soulful.

> 44. (NE) The Stylistics You Make Me Feel Brand New

And another I bought from the ex-jukebox shop. My copy was slightly
warped so it made the song sound slightly weird...

> 45. (NE) Mike Oldfield Theme From Tubular Bells

I believe Mike Oldfield didn't want this released as a single. But as it
was featured in the film The Exorcist and as Mike had little control
over what Virgin Records could release as a single he was overruled. The
official title of this single was 'Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From
Tubular Bells)'.

> 49. (40) Paper Lace The Night Chicago Died

An unlikely US number 1. 'Billy Don't Be A Hero' was also a US number 1
but in a cover version by Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods.

And with Chart Panel sales...

STAR BREAKERS
b01 (NEW) I FOUND SUNSHINE - Chi Lites [Panel Sales=158] (Chart Entry
20-Jul-1974 at No. 47)
b02 (b06) HONEY HONEY - Sweet Dreams [Panel Sales=151] (Chart Entry
20-Jul-1974 at No. 46)
b03 (b05) STOP LOOK LISTEN - Diana Ross / Marvin Gaye [Panel Sales=147]
(Chart Entry 20-Jul-1974 at No. 43)
b04 (b) TRAVELLING BOY - Art Garfunkel [Panel Sales=144]
b05 (b07) SAIL THE SUMMER WINDS - Lyn Paul [Panel Sales=135]
b06 (b) VERY SPECIAL LOVE SONG, A - Charlie Rich [Panel Sales=119]
b07 (b) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU - Jim Capaldi [Panel Sales=113]
b08 (b) MAKING LOVE - Roberta Flack [Panel Sales=102]
b09 (b08) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE - Paul Da Vinci [Panel
Sales=102] (Chart Entry 20-Jul-1974 at No. 41)
b10 (b) DAYBREAK - Nilsson [Panel Sales=100]

LONGER LIST OF BREAKERS
(b09) BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone [Panel Sales=81]
DANCING MACHINE - Jackson Five [Panel Sales=65]
(NEW) DON'T FOOL AROUND - R Dean Taylor [Panel Sales=79] (Tamla Motown
TMG 909)
(RE) FOREVER AND EVER - Demis Roussos [Panel Sales=59]
(NEW) I'D FIGHT THE WORLD - Jim Reeves [Panel Sales=62] (RCA APBO 255)
IF YOU ASK ME - Jerry Williams [Panel Sales=81]
(NEW) IF YOU LOVE ME(LET ME KNOW) - Olivia Newton John [Panel Sales=89]
(EMI 2180)
(b10) I'LL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Cilla Black [Panel Sales=91]
LAP OF HONOUR - London Stadium Orch [Panel Sales=66]
(NEW) SUNDOWN - Gordon Lightfoot [Panel Sales=69]
THE LOTUS EATERS - Stavros Xarhakos Orchestra [Panel Sales=74]
WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - Everly Brothers [Panel Sales=65]
WARM AND TENDER ROMANCE, A - Sunny [Panel Sales=69]
(RE) Y VIVA ESPANA - Sylvia [Panel Sales=78]

And for a bonus, a scan of Record Mirror, issue dated 13 July 1974:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Record-Mirror/70s/74/Record-Mirror-1974-07-13.pdf

If the above link doesn't post properly click > https://goo.gl/dVijsq

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Jul 15, 2018, 7:41:35 PM7/15/18
On 15/07/2018 14:12, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:
>> So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
>> chart itself. Still, as I post this there's a heatwave in much of
>> Britain and the chart contains one of the records every radio DJ digs
>> up when it's sunny for two consecutive days.
>>
>> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5L0WRLLcQBaclJs4OAaU6x?si=uptSYbodT_mRHsnTRaPZXQ
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq4ekLLFbxX2KRGEUpmg30l
>>
>> Chart dated: 13th July 1974
>
> 44 years ago - yikes! Especially as I recognise just about every record
> in this chart.
>>
>> 1.     (1)    Charles Aznavour    She
>
> I remember this being number 1. I doubt it was being bought by many
> youngsters. I've never liked the record.

Wasn't it the theme tune for something?

>> 2.     (2)    The Drifters    Kissin' In The Back Row
>
> I owned this one, bought some time later from a shop in Newcastle that
> sold ex-jukebox singles. Decent song.

Although it is a fairly obvious attempt to remake 'Saturday Night At The
Movies'.

>> 3.     (4)    Slade    Bangin' Man
>
> One of their more forgotten songs these days. Although we didn't know it
> at the time 1974 was the end of their years as one of the most popular
> groups in the charts.

And it turned out they'd already had their last Number One single.

>Their fortunes would wane in 1975.

Pity because they were still making good music, and Slade In Flame is a
good film.

>> 4.    (15)    George McCrae    Rock Your Baby
>
> The first disco number 1? Probably.

I can't think of an earlier one.

> Good song though I vaguely recall
> not being that keen on this when I first heard it. There was industrial
> action at the BBC which took Top Of the Pops off air for several weeks
> from mid June to early August. It has long been suggested that this
> worked in favour of this record, helping it to number 1 because the
> usual bands that would appear on Top Of The Pops didn't get their usual
> boost in sales. I'm not sure how much I buy into that.

It assumes he wouldn't have been on there himself?

>> 5.     (6)    Lobo    I'd Love You To Want Me
>
> A big radio hit at the time. I think I may have sort of liked this one
> then. It doesn't sound that good now, far too MOR.

Not even very good MOR.

>> 6.     (8)    Leo Sayer    One Man Band
>
> Back when Leo was trying to be taken seriously as an artist. His
> releases were certainly more versatile than later in his career, once
> 'When I Need You' reached the top. OK song.

I find his voice a bit annoying though.

>> 7.    (27)    Paul McCartney And Wings    Band On The Run
>
> This is my favourite Paul McCartney single. An excellent single that I
> remember loving back then.

I can't remember a time I didn't know this song.

>> 8.     (9)    Gary Puckett And The Union Gap    Young Girl {1974 reissue}
>
> Dodgy lyrics alert.

>> 9.     (3)    Gary Glitter    Always Yours
>
> Dodgy person alert.

I was gonna say, quite a juxtaposition there.

>> 10.    (11)    10cc    Wall Street Shuffle
>
> They always seemed to be too clever by far which made them irritating to
> some people. I was largely indifferent to them for much of the time.

They're the sort of band I probably should like but I find them a bit
too showy most of the time.

>> 12.    (12)    Wombles    Banana Rock
>
> My sister owned this one. Dreadful in every way.

I suppose encouraging people to pick up litter is a good thing.

>> 13.    (16)    Roy Wood    Going Down The Road
>
> Not one he is best remembered for. His solo career would soon grind to a
> halt as would Wizzard's.

Is he really remembered for the solo stuff at all?

>> 14.    (24)    Suzi Quatro    Too Big
>
> Not one of her better efforts.

It doesn't even seem to be an innuendo.

>> 15.    (10)    Pearls    Guilty
>
> The singers (at least the public face even if they didn't actually sing
> on the actual record) were two of the original Brotherhood Of Man while
> the producer was Phil "The Collector" Swern. Decent enough 60s pastiche.

Seems a bit early to be pastiching the 60s though I suppose they weren't
the only ones doing it.

>> 16.     (7)    Ray Stevens    The Streak
>
> Streaking was a 1974 craze, captured here in all its (naked and ugly)
> glory by Ray Stevens. I didn't like the record then and haven't changed
> my mind to this day.

Don't listen, Ethel.

>> 17.    (21)    First Class    Beach Baby
>
> Another tie in to the original Brotherhood Of Man here as one of the
> vocalists is Tony Burrows who sang on BoM's hit 'United We Stand'. I did
> like this one back then.

An even more obvious pastiche.

>> 18.    (NE)    The Sweet    The Six Teens
>
> Simply superb. Another single I picked up from that ex-jukebox shop in
> Newcastle. This heralded the end of an era for The Sweet who were now
> leaving their long term songwriting team and producer behind. This was
> their last single together.

Yes, I notice in that Record Mirror they talk about how much better they
were than the other Chinnichap acts and I don't really think they ever
quite recovered from the split.

>> 19.    (18)    Elton John    Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
>
> Better than the 1991 live version with George Michael. Is this the one
> that features Rod Stewart? It's a complete guess but nothing else seems
> to stand out for me.

It's not (at least it's not the one I know about) but I'm sure they must
have worked together on something.

>> 20.    (26)    Terry Jacks    If You Go Away
>
> I quite like this one. In terms of sales it is dwarfed by 'Seasons In
> The Sun' but this is the better song to me.

Less cloyingly sentimental, possibly closer to the original.

>> 21.    (28)    David Bowie    Diamond Dogs
>
> Technically this was credited solely to "Bowie" as it seems so were all
> his other 1974 singles that were manufactured in the US for the UK
> market.

It seems to have been an artistic choice to abbreviate his name. Maybe
it was because he'd dropped the Spiders band?

> The usual RCA factory that would have pressed up all his singles
> - which was based in my town - was hit by the three day week, strikes
> and a need to get Elvis and Perry Como albums out so in a rather strange
> move his first three singles in 1974 were all manufactured in the US and
> shipped over to the UK. This meant a lack of singles on the market which
> partially accounts for why the singles either had short chart careers or
> underperformed.

Although it must be said that this is quite a wilful choice of single -
and indeed it wasn't released in the US so they were turning them out
only to be shipped back over here. OTOH, it is one of his few singles in
the 70s with an exclusive B-side.

>> 26.    (36)    Maria Muldaur    Midnight At The Oasis
>
> One record I definitely recall from the time and one which I have always
> loved.

I've always liked it too. I can't claim to remember it from 1974 but I
did know it before the Brand New Heavies version.

>> 29.    (47)    The Intruders    (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner
>
> Strangely, last Sunday just before I saw that you'd posted a 1974 chart
> I was humming this record to myself!

No accounting for taste etc.

>> 30.    (30)    Thunderthighs    Central Park Arrest
>
> Thunderthighs were the three women who sang backing vocals on 'Walk On
> The Wild Side' by Lou Reed..

Another link back to Bowie there.

> This is the first record in the chart that I
> don't recall from the time. It's a good track, written by Lynsey De Paul.

Slightly confusing lyrically.

Sadly the track isn't on Spotify but there's it's on Youube of them
travelling down to Rockfield studios.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=W-bRvdCA0Zs&feature=share

(I'm not sure whether they were recording this track down there or more
likely adding their backing vocals to something else).

>> 35.    (34)    Mott The Hoople    Foxy Foxy
>
> Another original Brotherhood Of man tie-in as the original female
> singers (who mimed The Pearls vocals for public appearances) actually do
> sing on this track. Mott's other female backing vocalists? The three
> women from Thunderthighs.

Was it them on TotP for Roll Away The Stone?

>> 39.    (48)    William DeVaughn    Be Thankful For What You've Got
>
> I bought this 1974 single in about 1980 or 1981 from that same Newcastle
> ex-jukebox shop. It's much better than the 1980s remake, it's slower but
> more soulful.

I agree.

>> 44.    (NE)    The Stylistics    You Make Me Feel Brand New
>
> And another I bought from the ex-jukebox shop. My copy was slightly
> warped so it made the song sound slightly weird...

But maybe more interesting?

>> 45.    (NE)    Mike Oldfield    Theme From Tubular Bells
>
> I believe Mike Oldfield didn't want this released as a single. But as it
> was featured in the film The Exorcist and as Mike had little control
> over what Virgin Records could release as a single he was overruled.

It seems to have been a compromise - after his US label put out an
extract without his permission, he agreed to re-record an excerpt fr the
UK single.

The
> official title of this single was 'Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From
> Tubular Bells)'.

First ever Virgin single apparently.

>> 49.    (40)    Paper Lace    The Night Chicago Died
>
> An unlikely US number 1. 'Billy Don't Be A Hero' was also a US number 1
> but in a cover version by Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods.

That would explain why this is on so many "one hit wonder" albums on
Spotify then.

> And with Chart Panel sales...
>
> STAR BREAKERS
> b01 (NEW) I FOUND SUNSHINE - Chi Lites [Panel Sales=158] (Chart Entry
> 20-Jul-1974 at No. 47)

Decent funky track.

> b02 (b06) HONEY HONEY - Sweet Dreams [Panel Sales=151] (Chart Entry
> 20-Jul-1974 at No. 46)

If you liked Abba songs with repetitive titles it was a good week.

> b03 (b05) STOP LOOK LISTEN - Diana Ross / Marvin Gaye [Panel Sales=147]
> (Chart Entry 20-Jul-1974 at No. 43)

Possibly the best of these,from the Diana & Marvin album.

> b04 (b) TRAVELLING BOY - Art Garfunkel [Panel Sales=144]

Nice voice, not a very memorable song.

> b07 (b) IT'S ALL UP TO YOU - Jim Capaldi [Panel Sales=113]

Apparently this did get onto Totp. Not bad but he sounds a bit bored.

> b08 (b) MAKING LOVE - Roberta Flack [Panel Sales=102]

Not the same song as 'Feel Like Making Love'.

> b09 (b08) YOUR BABY AIN'T YOUR BABY ANYMORE - Paul Da Vinci [Panel
> Sales=102] (Chart Entry 20-Jul-1974 at No. 41)

The original Rubettes singer and a song that sounds a bit like Sugar
Baby Love.

> b10 (b) DAYBREAK - Nilsson [Panel Sales=100]

This sounds very un-1974 somehow, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Maybe it seems a bit early-80s.

> LONGER LIST OF BREAKERS
> (b09) BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone [Panel Sales=81]

This sounds extremely 1974, and not in a good way.

> DANCING MACHINE - Jackson Five [Panel Sales=65]

Funky but not especially memorable.

> (NEW) DON'T FOOL AROUND - R Dean Taylor [Panel Sales=79] (Tamla Motown
> TMG 909)

Another oldie revived on the Northern Soul circuit. Evidently didn't
cross over as much as some of his others.

> (RE) FOREVER AND EVER - Demis Roussos [Panel Sales=59]

Eventually a Number One.

> (NEW) I'D FIGHT THE WORLD - Jim Reeves [Panel Sales=62] (RCA APBO 255)

Was this something to do with the anniversary of his death?

> IF YOU ASK ME - Jerry Williams [Panel Sales=81]

More Northern Soul. I quite like this.

> (b10) I'LL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Cilla Black [Panel Sales=91]

I had no idea she'd covered this.
Found it on a Spotify compilation of "hygge" music.

> (NEW) SUNDOWN - Gordon Lightfoot [Panel Sales=69]

Apparently a big airplay hit at the time but not much of a seller.

> WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - Everly Brothers [Panel Sales=65]

I presume this was just one of those random oldies that got reissued in
the Seventies.

> And for a bonus, a scan of Record Mirror, issue dated 13 July 1974:
>
> https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Record-Mirror/70s/74/Record-Mirror-1974-07-13.pdf
>

> If the above link doesn't post properly click > https://goo.gl/dVijsq

Thanks. A bit sad to see all those Mama Cass tour dates that didn't
happen though.

Chris

Robbie

Jul 16, 2018, 3:59:56 AM7/16/18
Chris Brown wrote:
> On 15/07/2018 14:12, Robbie wrote:

>>> 1. (1) Charles Aznavour She
>>
>> I remember this being number 1. I doubt it was being bought by many
>> youngsters. I've never liked the record.
>
> Wasn't it the theme tune for something?

Yup, it was the theme tune to "Seven Faces Of Woman" which I can recall
though I have no memory of actually watching the programme. I doubt it
would have been my thing back then anyway - it was all about Doctor Who,
Top Of The Pops and Blue Peter for me back then, not a Sunday evening
drama. I was probably tucked up in bed by then anyway. Apparently the
song was written for the programme.

>>> 13. (16) Roy Wood Going Down The Road
>>
>> Not one he is best remembered for. His solo career would soon grind to
>> a halt as would Wizzard's.
>
> Is he really remembered for the solo stuff at all?

Not really. I'm not sure why he was releasing solo singles alongside his
Wizzard material as an old Guinness chart book once said that "Wizzard
was Roy Wood just as much as Wings were Paul McCartney."

>>> 18. (NE) The Sweet The Six Teens
>>
>> Simply superb. Another single I picked up from that ex-jukebox shop in
>> Newcastle. This heralded the end of an era for The Sweet who were now
>> leaving their long term songwriting team and producer behind. This was
>> their last single together.
>
> Yes, I notice in that Record Mirror they talk about how much better they
> were than the other Chinnichap acts and I don't really think they ever
> quite recovered from the split.

It was also unfortunate that in mid 1974 Brian Connolly was seriously
assaulted when leaving a nightclub and left with throat injuries which
left him unable to sing for quite some time and when he did recover his
voice had lost some of its range. As well as having to pull out of a
lucrative supporting slot with The Who other members of the band had to
complete the vocals on the album they were working on. Connolly was
extremely shaken by what had happened and turned to drink to cope, which
sent him into a spiral he never got out of.

>>> 35. (34) Mott The Hoople Foxy Foxy
>>
>> Another original Brotherhood Of man tie-in as the original female
>> singers (who mimed The Pearls vocals for public appearances) actually
>> do sing on this track. Mott's other female backing vocalists? The
>> three women from Thunderthighs.
>
> Was it them on TotP for Roll Away The Stone?

They did do backing vocals on that song so it probably was.

>>> 44. (NE) The Stylistics You Make Me Feel Brand New
>>
>> And another I bought from the ex-jukebox shop. My copy was slightly
>> warped so it made the song sound slightly weird...
>
> But maybe more interesting?

Much more interesting!

>>> 45. (NE) Mike Oldfield Theme From Tubular Bells
>>
>> I believe Mike Oldfield didn't want this released as a single. But as
>> it was featured in the film The Exorcist and as Mike had little
>> control over what Virgin Records could release as a single he was
>> overruled.
>

> It seems to have been a compromise - after his US label put out an
> extract without his permission, he agreed to re-record an excerpt fr the
> UK single.

Yeah, I just found out after posting that this single was a re-recording.

> The
>> official title of this single was 'Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From
>> Tubular Bells)'.
>
> First ever Virgin single apparently.

From their first ever album.

>> LONGER LIST OF BREAKERS
>> (b09) BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone [Panel Sales=81]
>

> This sounds extremely 1974, and not in a good way.

This one had already been a number 21 hit in 1972.

>> (RE) FOREVER AND EVER - Demis Roussos [Panel Sales=59]
>
> Eventually a Number One.

I overlooked this one. I think the recording is from 1973 and certainly
by the time the record topped the charts in 1976 it sounded dated, both
musically and production wise.

>> (NEW) I'D FIGHT THE WORLD - Jim Reeves [Panel Sales=62] (RCA APBO 255)
>
> Was this something to do with the anniversary of his death?

It appears so, he died on 31 July 1964 so almost 10 years previously.

>> (b10) I'LL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Cilla Black [Panel
>> Sales=91]
>
> I had no idea she'd covered this.
> Found it on a Spotify compilation of "hygge" music.

Whatever "hygge" music is! I remember this from the time. I think she
may have had her own variety TV show at the time which was helping
promote this dreary version of the song.

>> (NEW) SUNDOWN - Gordon Lightfoot [Panel Sales=69]
>
> Apparently a big airplay hit at the time but not much of a seller.

I remember hearing it a lot on the radio at the time.

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Jul 19, 2018, 6:50:00 PM7/19/18
On 16/07/2018 08:59, Robbie wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:

>>> I remember this being number 1. I doubt it was being bought by many
>>> youngsters. I've never liked the record.
>>
>> Wasn't it the theme tune for something?
>
> Yup, it was the theme tune to "Seven Faces Of Woman" which I can recall
> though I have no memory of actually watching the programme. I doubt it
> would have been my thing back then anyway - it was all about Doctor Who,
> Top Of The Pops and Blue Peter for me back then, not a Sunday evening
> drama. I was probably tucked up in bed by then anyway. Apparently the
> song was written for the programme.

That makes some sense.

>>> Not one he is best remembered for. His solo career would soon grind
>>> to a halt as would Wizzard's.
>>
>> Is he really remembered for the solo stuff at all?
>
> Not really. I'm not sure why he was releasing solo singles alongside his
> Wizzard material as an old Guinness chart book once said that  "Wizzard
> was Roy Wood just as much as Wings were Paul McCartney."

I assume there was an element of because-he-could.

>>> Simply superb. Another single I picked up from that ex-jukebox shop
>>> in Newcastle. This heralded the end of an era for The Sweet who were
>>> now leaving their long term songwriting team and producer behind.
>>> This was their last single together.
>>
>> Yes, I notice in that Record Mirror they talk about how much better
>> they were than the other Chinnichap acts and I don't really think they
>> ever quite recovered from the split.
>
> It was also unfortunate that in mid 1974 Brian Connolly was seriously
> assaulted when leaving a nightclub and left with throat injuries which
> left him unable to sing for quite some time and when he did recover his
> voice had lost some of its range. As well as having to pull out of a
> lucrative supporting slot with The Who other members of the band had to
> complete the vocals on the album they were working on. Connolly was
> extremely shaken by what had happened and turned to drink to cope, which
> sent him into a spiral he never got out of.

I remember him being interviewed on some TV documentary a few years
before he died, and my parents were shocked at the sight of him.

>>> Another original Brotherhood Of man tie-in as the original female
>>> singers (who mimed The Pearls vocals for public appearances) actually
>>> do sing on this track. Mott's other female backing vocalists? The
>>> three women from Thunderthighs.
>>
>> Was it them on TotP for Roll Away The Stone?
>
> They did do backing vocals on that song so it probably was.

Yeah, the T-shirt's a bit of a giveaway too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmvTcSzcE8
(odd that they're miming but Ian Hunter is singing over the existing vocal)

The budget obviously didn't cover sending them to Germany though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyJHh451Y4

>>> I believe Mike Oldfield didn't want this released as a single. But as
>>> it was featured in the film The Exorcist and as Mike had little
>>> control over what Virgin Records could release as a single he was
>>> overruled.
>>

>> It seems to have been a compromise - after his US label put out an
>> extract without his permission, he agreed to re-record an excerpt fr
>> the UK single.
>
> Yeah, I just found out after posting that this single was a re-recording.
>

>> The
>>> official title of this single was 'Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From
>>> Tubular Bells)'.
>>
>> First ever Virgin single apparently.
>
> From their first ever album.

But notably they had released other albums in between.

>>> LONGER LIST OF BREAKERS
>>> (b09) BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone [Panel Sales=81]
>>

>> This sounds extremely 1974, and not in a good way.
>
> This one had already been a number 21 hit in 1972.

Oh, maybe it was very slightly ahead of its time then.

>>> (RE) FOREVER AND EVER - Demis Roussos [Panel Sales=59]
>>
>> Eventually a Number One.
>
> I overlooked this one. I think the recording is from 1973 and certainly
> by the time the record topped the charts in 1976 it sounded dated, both
> musically and production wise.

Somebody liked it though.

>>> (NEW) I'D FIGHT THE WORLD - Jim Reeves [Panel Sales=62] (RCA APBO 255)
>>
>> Was this something to do with the anniversary of his death?
>
> It appears so, he died on 31 July 1964 so almost 10 years previously.

I don't know why this song though.

>>> (b10) I'LL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Cilla Black [Panel
>>> Sales=91]
>>
>> I had no idea she'd covered this.
>> Found it on a Spotify compilation of "hygge" music.
>
> Whatever "hygge" music is!

Seems to involve a lot of cover versions (of songs Warner don't own the
rights to the originals of)
https://open.spotify.com/album/55w5j75lFb0Ympjusl27Eu?si=t96RmBpcQFaVYpYLlN85og

>I remember this from the time. I think she
> may have had her own variety TV show at the time which was helping
> promote this dreary version of the song.

There had been a series earlier in 1974. One episode apparently featured
Bryan Ferry as a guest, which doesn't seem right somehow.

>>> (NEW) SUNDOWN - Gordon Lightfoot [Panel Sales=69]
>>
>> Apparently a big airplay hit at the time but not much of a seller.
>
> I remember hearing it a lot on the radio at the time.

Perhaps he should have pronounced the title more clearly.

Chris

Robbie

Jul 20, 2018, 3:54:15 AM7/20/18
Chris Brown wrote:

>>> Yes, I notice in that Record Mirror they talk about how much better
>>> they were than the other Chinnichap acts and I don't really think
>>> they ever quite recovered from the split.
>>
>> It was also unfortunate that in mid 1974 Brian Connolly was seriously
>> assaulted when leaving a nightclub and left with throat injuries which
>> left him unable to sing for quite some time and when he did recover
>> his voice had lost some of its range. As well as having to pull out of
>> a lucrative supporting slot with The Who other members of the band had
>> to complete the vocals on the album they were working on. Connolly was
>> extremely shaken by what had happened and turned to drink to cope,
>> which sent him into a spiral he never got out of.
>
> I remember him being interviewed on some TV documentary a few years
> before he died, and my parents were shocked at the sight of him.

The video of the documentary is often on YouTube but keeps being taken
down, probably because of copyright reasons. It is shocking to see the
state he was in. He's barely able to walk, shaking constantly and he
literally looks like he could drop dead at any moment. It was made about
3 years before his death.

>>> This sounds extremely 1974, and not in a good way.
>>
>> This one had already been a number 21 hit in 1972.
>
> Oh, maybe it was very slightly ahead of its time then.

Songs by Pat Boone aren't usually described as being ahead of their time!

>>> Eventually a Number One.
>>
>> I overlooked this one. I think the recording is from 1973 and
>> certainly by the time the record topped the charts in 1976 it sounded
>> dated, both musically and production wise.
>
> Somebody liked it though.

He was certainly an unlikely chart star. I'm assuming he was the first
act to have more than one major hit off the back of the growth in
package holidays to Europe in the mid 70s. His records were popular all
around Europe so I assume many people came back to the UK wanting to buy
his singles having heard them while abroad. As awful as they were (and
they were awful) the sound somehow does conjure up hot nights in Costa
Plonka (even if he was Greek and not Spanish).

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Jul 25, 2018, 6:16:40 PM7/25/18
I think there might have been more than one.

>>> This one had already been a number 21 hit in 1972.
>>
>> Oh, maybe it was very slightly ahead of its time then.
>
> Songs by Pat Boone aren't usually described as being ahead of their time!

Was Pat Boone related to Daniel Boone?

Chris

Robbie

Jul 26, 2018, 9:14:22 AM7/26/18
He's not related. Daniel is from Birmingham and Daniel Boone is a stage
name - he was born Peter Green. And he's not related to the Fleetwood
Mac guy either...

--
------
Robbie

Chris Brown

Oct 2, 2018, 6:54:28 PM10/2/18
On 08/07/2018 14:44, Chris Brown wrote:
> So another World Cup year, albeit there's not much sign of t in the
> chart itself. Still, as I post this there's a heatwave in much of
> Britain and the chart contains one of the records every radio DJ digs up
> when it's sunny for two consecutive days.
>
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nowthats/playlist/5L0WRLLcQBaclJs4OAaU6x?si=uptSYbodT_mRHsnTRaPZXQ
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdiUvgvgpgNq4ekLLFbxX2KRGEUpmg30l
>
> Chart dated: 13th July 1974
>
> 1.     (1)    Charles Aznavour    She

RIP Charles Aznavour. I was at a classical concert tonight and the
musicians dedicated it to him. They were Armenian and he was a very big
deal over there.

> 2.     (2)    The Drifters    Kissin' In The Back Row

Very obvious attempt to remake Saturday Night At The Movies.

> 3.     (4)    Slade    Bangin' Man

Supposedly about somebody knocking on a door.

> 4.    (15)    George McCrae    Rock Your Baby

Some call this the first disco Number One.

> 7.    (27)    Paul McCartney And Wings    Band On The Run

Imagine (no pun intended) writing this and it's not even the most famous
band you were in.

> 8.     (9)    Gary Puckett And The Union Gap    Young Girl {1974 reissue}
> 9.     (3)    Gary Glitter    Always Yours

I am making no comment on this juxtaposition.

> 10.    (11)    10cc    Wall Street Shuffle

"You need a yen to make a mark." I see what they've done there.

> 12.    (12)    Wombles    Banana Rock

One of their only two hits not to contain some variant of their name in
the title.

> 20.    (26)    Terry Jacks    If You Go Away

Not as bad as Seasons In The Sun.

> 21.    (28)    David Bowie    Diamond Dogs

Since nobody guessed it, I can reveal this is the track that features
Rod Stewart - the crowd noise at the start was from a Faces concert and
at one point you can hear Rod shout "hey!"

> 24.    (14)    The Scaffold    Liverpool Lou

Thry should have stayed in the Sixties.

> 26.    (36)    Maria Muldaur    Midnight At The Oasis

Maybe the best track here I don't have a copy of.

> 27.    (17)    R Dean Taylor    There's A Ghost In My House

Remember I mentioned that family party where the DJ played some Northern
Soul?
My 86-year-old Grandad, who's survived cancer three times, got up and
danced to this song, which was quite a moment.

> 28.    (37)    Main Ingredient    Just Don't Want To Be Lonely > 29.    (47)    The Intruders    (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner

I always think of the Main Ingredient song as much more famous, but the
Intruders had the bigger hit at the time.

> 38.    (19)    Cockney Rebel    Judy Teen

I've grown to like this song. Mainly because of the way he says "ooh,
hanky-panky".

> 41.    (22)    The Isley Brothers    Summer Breeze

Released a long time after the album but I suppose they wanted to wait
for the summer.

> 43.    (32)    Scotland World Cup Squad    Easy Easy

Spoiler: it wasn't.

Chris

Rink

Jul 5, 2021, 6:41:27 AM7/5/21
Op 15-7-2018 om 15:12 schreef Robbie:

<snip>

> And for a bonus, a scan of Record Mirror, issue dated 13 July 1974:
>
> <https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Record-Mirror/70s/74/Record-Mirror-1974-07-13.pdf>
>

> If the above link doesn't post properly click > https://goo.gl/dVijsq

Hey Robbie,

Two years later, but the Record Mirror link still works.

I like especially the messages about the offshore radiostations at page 8.
Just 7 weeks before closing down....

Thank you very much!

Rink