test

Warren Pearce

Nov 1, 2020, 9:19:30 AM11/1/20

Nov 7, 2020, 11:38:19 AM11/7/20
On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 02:35:38 GMT, Marc Wilson <marc$e...@cleopatra.co.uk>

Nov 7, 2020, 11:53:18 AM11/7/20

Nov 9, 2020, 7:16:09 AM11/9/20

Feb 26, 2021, 8:43:29 PM2/26/21

> Fail.

Pass.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Feb 27, 2021, 7:39:29 AM2/27/21
Pshurely alt.test would be the place?

Sn!pe

Feb 27, 2021, 3:10:24 PM2/27/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Good lard, Glandules, I thought you were dead.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Apr 23, 2021, 7:03:57 AM4/23/21
British!

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Sn!pe

Apr 23, 2021, 8:58:03 AM4/23/21
Testify, Brother!

Fevric J. Glandules

May 15, 2021, 7:10:13 PM5/15/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> Good lard, Glandules, I thought you were dead.

Working on it.

Sn!pe

May 15, 2021, 7:33:18 PM5/15/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Follow my example, dear boy.

Sn!pe

May 16, 2021, 11:26:58 AM5/16/21
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2021 00:33:17 +0100
> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> > Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > > Working on it.
> >
> > Follow my example, dear boy.
> >
> On the internet no-one knows you're a zombie.

The stitching around the neck gives it away.

Fevric J. Glandules

May 17, 2021, 7:11:43 PM5/17/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe wrote:
>>
>> > Good lard, Glandules, I thought you were dead.
>>
>> Working on it.
>
> Follow my example, dear boy.

What's your technique?

Sn!pe

May 17, 2021, 8:57:04 PM5/17/21
More than half a century of assiduous self-abuse.

Fevric J. Glandules

May 18, 2021, 12:32:07 PM5/18/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> More than half a century of assiduous self-abuse.

Nothing like that round here, oh no.

Sn!pe

May 18, 2021, 3:45:38 PM5/18/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Every good boy should live a pure and blameless life.

Fevric J. Glandules

May 19, 2021, 7:54:08 PM5/19/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> Every good boy should live a pure and blameless life.

I'll take that on board.

Nal bs gur byq perj fgvyy cbc va urer?

Urneq sebz zbabphyne zbaboebj?

Sn!pe

May 20, 2021, 6:30:58 AM5/20/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Va gur cnfg pbhcyr bs lrnef V'ir frra gurfr crbcyr xabja gb zr:
Znephf Ubhyqra
Ze Thrfg
ZV5 Zvxr
Evpuneq Gbova
Naql Oheaf
Xree-Zhqq,Wbua
V'z abg fher jub zbabphyne zbaboebj vf, qb lbh zrna NJ?

V bsgra guvax bs gur zvfpernagf bs lber; ner BO naq Yvam fgvyy nobhg?

Sn!pe

May 20, 2021, 9:12:36 AM5/20/21
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2021 11:30:57 +0100
> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>

> > Xree-Zhqq,Wbua
>
> I just popped in to see it was a desert well after I presume some
> major flamefest had left it as a shell for driveby spammers.

MI5 Mike usually includes misc in his spamathons,
that attracts all kinds of undesirables.

Fevric J. Glandules

May 20, 2021, 4:02:36 PM5/20/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> V'z abg fher jub zbabphyne zbaboebj vf, qb lbh zrna NJ?

Zbabphyne pbf vg jnf Vna jvgu bar 'v'. Zbaboebj pbf vg jnf.
Syrzvat jvgu bar 'z' VVEP.

Sn!pe

May 20, 2021, 5:31:45 PM5/20/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

yby

Zvfp. jnf nyjnlf terng sbe anzrf - V cnegvphyneyl yvxrq
Ubg Onqtre Qryhkr (EVC).

Mr Guest

May 20, 2021, 6:19:32 PM5/20/21
Sn!pe wrote (apparently) in uk.misc on Thu 20 May 2021 11:30:57:

> Srievp W. Tynaqhyrf <s...@vainyvq.vainyvq> jebgr:
>
>> Fa!cr jebgr:
>>
>> > Rirel tbbq obl fubhyq yvir n cher naq oynzryrff yvsr.
>>
>> V'yy gnxr gung ba obneq.
>>
>> Any of the old crew still pop in here?
>>
>> Heard from monocular monobrow?
>
> In the past couple of years I've seen these people known to me:
> Marcus Houlden
> Mr Guest
> MI5 Mike
> Richard Tobin
> Andy Burns
> Kerr-Mudd,John
> I'm not sure who monocular monobrow is, do you mean AW?
>
> I often think of the miscreants of yore; are OB and Linz still about?

I very rarely actually post but still regularly read a number of groups. For
a few months last year a lack of jbex (or is that reserved for use in urs?)
meant little to do other than care for my dear ma or watch the haunted
fishtank.

All told, touch wood etc. none of my friends and family have suffered at the
hands of this blessed nuisance. Long may it continue. Hope all former,
present and future miscreants keep well.
--
Mr Guest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere

Sn!pe

May 21, 2021, 6:27:01 PM5/21/21
Mr Guest <t...@guest-spamtrap.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> > In the past couple of years I've seen these people known to me:
> > Marcus Houlden
> > Mr Guest
> > MI5 Mike
> > Richard Tobin
> > Andy Burns
> > Kerr-Mudd,John
> > I'm not sure who monocular monobrow is, do you mean AW?
> >
> > I often think of the miscreants of yore; are OB and Linz still about?
> >

> I very rarely actually post but still regularly read a number of groups.
> For a few months last year a lack of jbex (or is that reserved for use in
> urs?) meant little to do other than care for my dear ma or watch the
> haunted fishtank.

I've never been keen on 'sheddisms' being used outside of the
shed itself and now that I've fled the shed I try to use them
sparingly, if at all. It was an expression of 'Shed Culture'
back in the days when that place was a refuge from the general
run of Usenet and helped to set it apart, but alas those days
are gone and so is most of the culture.

Top marks for caring for your ma; I wish more youngsters did
the same.

> All told, touch wood etc. none of my friends and family have suffered at
> the hands of this blessed nuisance. Long may it continue. Hope all former,
> present and future miscreants keep well.

I do know a few people who've had the virus and mercifully they've
all come through it, mostly unscathed unscathed. I'm sorry to say
that some people in Mrs S's social circle didn't.

Fevric J. Glandules

May 25, 2021, 7:06:12 PM5/25/21
Sn!pe wrote:

<snip>

> I've never been keen on 'sheddisms' being used outside of the
> shed itself and now that I've fled the shed I try to use them

The shed was, as I recall it, an offshoot of .misc, where a
certain amount of Rot-13 was already in place, including things
like "jbex", which a) is pronounceable and b) sounds like a
swear word.

What I particularly enjoyed was the conversations carried out
entirely in acronym. You'd spend an age working out what was
being said, and then an age composing one with just enough Clues
in it to enable someone to respond. Boif V arire qvq guvf ba
zl rzcyblre'f gvzr.

> I do know a few people who've had the virus and mercifully they've
> all come through it, mostly unscathed unscathed. I'm sorry to say
> that some people in Mrs S's social circle didn't.

Two dead in the first wave, one more in the second, at least.
And another with "long covid". At least.

I have found that attitudes correlate. I found myself last
year regularly refuting idiocy found on Facebook. (Not on
FB myself, they would get forwarded to me for comment).

E.g. this sort of thing:
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-japanese-nobel-coronavirus-idUSKBN22G1XE
A - the science was so bad I could dismiss it instantly
B - even a trivial search of the interwebs would come up
with an official statement that he never said that.

Richard Tobin

May 26, 2021, 1:45:01 PM5/26/21
In article <1p9h6gc.1uli9dnhqga59N%snip...@gmail.com>,
Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Evpuneq Gbova

I've just returned after a brief absence caused my my news server
failing. I took its graphics card out and it seems to be running
again, but I don't have much hope for its long term survival.

-- Richard

Sn!pe

May 28, 2021, 6:49:02 PM5/28/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I've never been keen on 'sheddisms' being used outside of the
> > shed itself and now that I've fled the shed I try to use them
>
> The shed was, as I recall it, an offshoot of .misc, where a
> certain amount of Rot-13 was already in place, including things
> like "jbex", which a) is pronounceable and b) sounds like a
> swear word.

I think it was OB who started it.

> What I particularly enjoyed was the conversations carried out
> entirely in acronym. You'd spend an age working out what was
> being said, and then an age composing one with just enough Clues
> in it to enable someone to respond. Boif V arire qvq guvf ba
> zl rzcyblre'f gvzr.

The Shed of yore was a wonderful place, full of wit, whimsy and
weirdness but alas most of that has faded away now. I do miss
many of the old characters; I received much kindness in there.

> > I do know a few people who've had the virus and mercifully they've
> > all come through it, mostly unscathed unscathed. I'm sorry to say
> > that some people in Mrs S's social circle didn't.
>
> Two dead in the first wave, one more in the second, at least.
> And another with "long covid". At least.
>
> I have found that attitudes correlate. I found myself last
> year regularly refuting idiocy found on Facebook. (Not on
> FB myself, they would get forwarded to me for comment).
>
> E.g. this sort of thing:
> <https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-japanese-nobel-coronavirus-idUSKBN22G1XE>
> A - the science was so bad I could dismiss it instantly
> B - even a trivial search of the interwebs would come up
> with an official statement that he never said that.

I have little doubt that that the pandemic strain was engineered - see
"gain of function" research reported in many places. These are strange
times indeed; the world has changed.

Sn!pe

May 28, 2021, 6:49:03 PM5/28/21
Greetings, Richard, long may your machine survive. I think I've
recently seen you elsewhere too; maybe in the Mac group.

Sn!pe

May 30, 2021, 3:54:34 PM5/30/21
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2021 23:48:59 +0100
> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
> []
> >
> > The Shed of yore was a wonderful place, full of wit, whimsy and
> > weirdness but alas most of that has faded away now. I do miss
> > many of the old characters; I received much kindness in there.
> >

> It still is; just don't mention Br*x*t.

Brexit is a fait accompli and the Remainder must like it or lump it.

Political incontinents ruined the Shed with their tub-thumping.
It's just another dwindling group now, one among thousands.
The culture that made that place so special was lost long ago.

This place being charterless uk.misc, no such concerns exist here;
nothing is forbidden except "no advertising in uk.misc, fuckwit."

Fevric J. Glandules

Jun 8, 2021, 11:15:56 AM6/8/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> I have little doubt that that the pandemic strain was engineered - see
> "gain of function" research reported in many places. These are strange
> times indeed; the world has changed.

Oh rilly?

Worldwide viral pandemics are inevitable, and re-occurring. Why would
this one be different? Wikipedia lists them as happening in 1968,
1957, 1918, 1889. The main difference AFAICS is that this time very
few people have a memory of a previous one.

Sn!pe

Jun 8, 2021, 1:22:21 PM6/8/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Certainly there have been worldwide viral pandemics throughout the
centuries; indeed they are inevitable and re-occurring. I write only
about the origin of this particular current virus.

Fevric J. Glandules

Jun 8, 2021, 7:17:46 PM6/8/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> Certainly there have been worldwide viral pandemics throughout the
> centuries; indeed they are inevitable and re-occurring. I write only
> about the origin of this particular current virus.

I understand you.

But is a lab leak *more* probable than a natural species-leak?

The possibility should not be discounted; OTOH those who know
this stuff have sequenced the gene and (apparently) found it
entirely consistent with a natural origin.

This is worth a look, from 2007:
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2007/02/severe-pandemic-not-overdue-its-not-when-if

Sn!pe

Jun 8, 2021, 9:38:38 PM6/8/21
Fevric J. Glandules <f...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
>
> > Certainly there have been worldwide viral pandemics throughout the
> > centuries; indeed they are inevitable and re-occurring. I write only
> > about the origin of this particular current virus.
>
> I understand you.
>
> But is a lab leak *more* probable than a natural species-leak?
>
> The possibility should not be discounted; OTOH those who know
> this stuff have sequenced the gene and (apparently) found it
> entirely consistent with a natural origin.

I think "natural origin" is far from proven. "Gain of function"
experiments, i.e. to increase infectivity in humans, is rather more
than suspect, IMO.
I don't dispute that, however that article is about Influenza. My
understanding is that most new strains of 'flu come about because
of cohabition of humans with livestock, generally fowl, such as is
common in rural China. This facilitates interspecies transmission
and permutation of the Hx and Ny components of the 'flu virus.

Coronavirus is not Influenza, as I'm sure you know. Spontaneous
mutation of Coronavirus, once in the wild, is to be expected because
of its reproduction method. Coronaviruses are prone to mutation by
their nature as an RNA virus (I think, not sure). This says not much
about species-jumping, of course.

However, the smoking gun would appear to be reports of apparently
engineered gene sequences included in Covid-19. That said, I doubt
we will ever know the truth of the matter because of Chinese obstruction
of the recent visiting inspection team and the reported "disappearance"
of both evidence and some of the scientists involved.

Natural? Accidental? Even (perish the thought) deliberate? Experience
shows that Covid is most deadly among the elderly; you might even call
it a "Geriatric Culling Virus". Consider how that might benefit China
with its severe demographic problems, particularly care of the elderly,
as a result of their earlier 'one child per couple' policy. Then there
is the disruption of the rest of the world's economies: a cynical person
might think that useful to China in its current expansionist mood.

Conspiracy theories aside, I'd say that the jury is still out.

Fevric J. Glandules

Jun 9, 2021, 8:04:15 PM6/9/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> I think "natural origin" is far from proven. "Gain of function"
> experiments, i.e. to increase infectivity in humans, is rather more
> than suspect, IMO.

Far from proven, yes, but how do you prove it? Gain of function
suspect yes, but how much? What's the probability of something
that happens naturally, frequently, being artificial?

<snip>

> However, the smoking gun would appear to be reports of apparently
> engineered gene sequences included in Covid-19. That said, I doubt
> we will ever know the truth of the matter because of Chinese obstruction
> of the recent visiting inspection team and the reported "disappearance"
> of both evidence and some of the scientists involved.

I think the guy who first commented about "engineered gene sequences"
has backtracked somewhat, and said that the sequences (or specifically
the "furin cleavage site") involved have also been observed naturally.

> Natural? Accidental? Even (perish the thought) deliberate? Experience
> shows that Covid is most deadly among the elderly; you might even call
> it a "Geriatric Culling Virus". Consider how that might benefit China
> with its severe demographic problems, particularly care of the elderly,

Well they appeared to have not taken advantage of it...

> Conspiracy theories aside, I'd say that the jury is still out.

Early days yet. Not just virologists but sociologists, psychologists,
economists and well, any academic anywhere, will be writing papers
for decades to come.

In the meantime, balance of probabilities for me.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jun 10, 2021, 8:29:51 AM6/10/21
I remember polio and it's treatments from about 65 years ago. Polio is
still spreading in some countries.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Sn!pe

Jun 30, 2021, 9:41:17 AM6/30/21
As it happens, I caught Polio in 1956 at age seven; I spent four
weeks in isolation hospital because of it. I was very fortunate
and made a full recovery, many didn't. The worst of it for me
was that it left me as a weedy child, always picked last for
football, so it wasn't all bad.

Some years ago Polio was almost eradicated; that campaign was
thwarted by the antivaxxers of the day who refused the vaccine
on spurious tribal/religious grounds.