catdroids spin silently on the spot

Adrian Vickers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Whilst bantering in uk.misc, aw...@five.in.the.morning said:

> Many miscreants have cats.
> Some have TVs.
> How did yours react to the cat-advert?

Dunno. My cat doesn't watch TV. He's too lazy.

> We have a cat but we don't like him.
> Anyone want a 15-year-old black cat called Barry?

Poor investment. He'll be dead inside of 5 years.

--
Ade.
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities

D M Pigeon

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Father of &0E wrote in message <19990128....@hotch.demon.co.uk>...
>Many miscreants have cats.

Aye.

>Some have TVs.

Aye.

>How did yours react to the cat-advert?

He got up, mumbled something about there being "fuck all on these days",
grabbed his hat (already had his fur coat on), and went out.

I shouted after him not to drive if he was going to be drinking.

Cheers
Julian.

Rapunzel

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
Catnip?
Honeysuckle?
Sniffing exhaust pipes?

D M Pigeon

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Rapunzel wrote in message <36B0541F...@mcc.ac.uk>...

We've had our cat, Sooty, for just over a year. He is huge - referred to
locally as the Beast of Bodmin [1].

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't actually realise that he is a cat. Cats are
supposed to clean themselves. Nope! He comes in, soaking wet, wipes his feet
on the duvet and goes to sleep.

If you scratch him behind the ears, he rolls over like a dog.

My 5 year old picks him up by the throat and carries, nay, drags him around
like a rag doll.

Love 'im!

[1] Not known for imagination or originality round here.

Adrian Toll

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <36B0541F...@mcc.ac.uk>, Rapunzel <d.b...@mcc.ac.uk>
writes

>OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
>Catnip?
>Honeysuckle?
>Sniffing exhaust pipes?

The only thing that ever caught Hobbes' attention (apart from Kitzymes)
was a nature documentary about lions or some kind of big cat. They were
wandering round, growling at each other. He froze where he was, and
turned his eyes to where the noise was coming from, circled the TV
veeeery slowly and went to hide behind the sofa. But I don't suppose
that's "turned on" is it?
He tried to shag a sheepskin rug once. Poor thing - I don't think he
could understand why it wasn't responding, but just lying there.
--
* ---- Adrian Toll ---- *
adrian (at) cotex.demon.co.uk

Marcus Houlden

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Rapunzel wrote:

> OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
> program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
> Catnip?
> Honeysuckle?
> Sniffing exhaust pipes?

For some reason one of ours goes mad for olives. I've no idea why, but
she seems to see them as a sort of alternative to catnip. The other one
is over fond of freshly killed mice.
--
Marcus Houlden
http://www.deathsdoor.com/flimflam

Richard Layton

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
>He tried to shag a sheepskin rug once. Poor thing - I don't think he
>could understand why it wasn't responding, but just lying there.

We have a pet rabbit that thinks it's a cat. Get's up on the settee and
sleeps next to you. Trys to hump your arm though if you keep still for too
long.
He's even litter trained.

We are getting him a guinnea pig to shag, er, I mean be-friend soon.
Rich.

PS he's called Roswell as he's grey.

pig

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
My cat's olive mad as well, we've an olive wood bowl I left on the living
room floor, came back to find the cat rubbing himself all over it and the
bowl full of cat drool, chaming.

Adrian Vickers

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Whilst bantering in uk.misc, d.b...@mcc.ac.uk said:
> OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
> program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
> Catnip?
> Honeysuckle?
> Sniffing exhaust pipes?

Curry of any strength, and garlic. Which came as one hell of a surprise I
can assure you.

Steve Walker

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
In article <36B079B0...@example.com>, Marcus Houlden
<dev...@example.com> writes

>Rapunzel wrote:
>>
>> OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>> program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
>> Catnip?
>> Honeysuckle?
>> Sniffing exhaust pipes?
>
>For some reason one of ours goes mad for olives. I've no idea why, but
>she seems to see them as a sort of alternative to catnip. The other one
>is over fond of freshly killed mice.

The cat with which I cohabit is not fond of freshly killed mice. Or
voles. Or shrews. He leaves them in various states of dismemberment on
the doorstep. Now _live_ ones, he likes. And bare feet.

If only he'd leave that big fat pheasant on the doorstep...

(Legally, do I own it if it's in my garden? Just wondering....)

--
Steve Walker

Mike Warren

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
> Whilst bantering in uk.misc, aw...@five.in.the.morning said:
> >
> > Many miscreants have cats.
> > Some have TVs.
> > How did yours react to the cat-advert?

He didnt see it...but he loves;Snooker, Formula one and football.He
sits on top of the telly trying to swot the balls, cars or
players...most amusing;)

Mike Warren.

Charles Anthony

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:39:43 +0000, Steve Walker "wrote:

>If only he'd leave that big fat pheasant on the doorstep...
>
>(Legally, do I own it if it's in my garden? Just wondering....)

With knowledge I freely admit is culled from listening to the Archers,
I rather believe that you do.

--
Charles Anthony

K. Quinn

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
nos...@toolsbase.demon.co.uk (Adrian Vickers) wrote:

>Curry of any strength, and garlic. Which came as one hell of a
>surprise I can assure you.

Indeed. Cat breath can be bad, but when it's bad cat breath because
it mings of garlic, that's just weird.

--
Industrial music: Recreate by sellotaping two jamjars full of bees to the
sides of your head, then kick a dustbin full of hammers down the stairs.

Victoria

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Charles Anthony <cha...@hpdi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

And it certainly seemed to be the case in the book 'Danny Champion Of
The World'.

--
Victoria

Lindsay Endell

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

Adrian Vickers wrote in message ...

>Whilst bantering in uk.misc, d.b...@mcc.ac.uk said:
>> OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>> program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
>> Catnip?
>> Honeysuckle?
>> Sniffing exhaust pipes?
>>

>Curry of any strength, and garlic. Which came as one hell of a surprise I
>can assure you.

Muesli, preferably with milk, but they'll eat it dry.

Any plate that's within reach, no matter what dinner was.

Apparently onions are toxic for cats so I try to avoid them eating those.

Linz
--
Oh, not really a pedant, I wouldn't say.
http://www.gofar.demon.co.uk/ - Issue 1 available now

Lindsay Endell

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

Rapunzel wrote in message <36B0541F...@mcc.ac.uk>...
>OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?
>Catnip?
>Honeysuckle?
>Sniffing exhaust pipes?

We didn't see the ad but our cats do like the tv.

Felix enjoys snooker and the curling from the Winter Olympics.

Bandit quite likes darts.

Smokey Joe will watch wildlife progs. He gets very interested if a cat calls
or a kitten mews on a show. The beginning of the prog about Battersea Dogs'
Home gets him every time...

Not long after we got Felix and Pepper there was a wildlife programme about
wolves. Attenborough narrated "The male wolf calls the pack together" as the
wolf howled. Both cats looked around and ran and sat down in front of the
telly. After 5 minutes Pepper got bored and wandered off, but Felix watched
the remaining 15 minutes and was apparently quite taken by the litter of
wolf cubs...

They all like eating the spider plants, and spending 10 minutes trying to
cover the litter tray :-/

gennie

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
In article <36B0541F...@mcc.ac.uk>, Rapunzel <d.b...@mcc.ac.uk>
writes
>OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?

University Challenge, she tries to smack Paxman.

--
gennie

David

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

gennie <gen...@mark-dio.demon.co.uk> wrote in article <M$tQ6AAQ$bs2IwL$@mark-dio.demon.co.uk>...

There ya go. Proof that cats are just like people.

Steve Walker

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
In article <36b27b07...@news.demon.co.uk>, Charles Anthony
<cha...@hpdi.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:39:43 +0000, Steve Walker "wrote:
>>If only he'd leave that big fat pheasant on the doorstep...
>>
>>(Legally, do I own it if it's in my garden? Just wondering....)
>
>With knowledge I freely admit is culled from listening to the Archers,
>I rather believe that you do.

I haven't been feeding them, honest.

--
Steve
use bourneh to reply.

Gary Robert Kelly

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Adrian Toll wrote in message ...

>The only thing that ever caught Hobbes' attention (apart from Kitzymes)
>was a nature documentary about lions or some kind of big cat. They
were
>wandering round, growling at each other. He froze where he was, and
>turned his eyes to where the noise was coming from, circled the TV
>veeeery slowly and went to hide behind the sofa.

The only cat we have that pays attention to the telly is Luke the Lodger
("Hissss! Grrrwwwwlll!" - Ali. She really detests him). Once he tried
to bop the Rugrats about their heads; another time he tried to chase
snooker balls. Ali once pricked her ears up when she heard a wolf on
Father Ted ("...and instead of a mouth, it's got four arses!")

Gaz Kelly <blackbessACKhotmailPFFPFTcom>
"I've got paper teeth!"

Adrian Vickers

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Whilst bantering in uk.misc, PH...@wheeeeedoggy.leeds.ac.uk said:

> nos...@toolsbase.demon.co.uk (Adrian Vickers) wrote:
>
> >Curry of any strength, and garlic. Which came as one hell of a
> >surprise I can assure you.
>
> Indeed. Cat breath can be bad, but when it's bad cat breath because
> it mings of garlic, that's just weird.

Just found out he also likes:

Scones, and
Toast

This cat is starting to worry me.

Paul Stevenson

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
vict...@lettings.demon.co.uk (Victoria) writes:

> And it certainly seemed to be the case in the book 'Danny Champion Of
> The World'.

Hairy raisins, my arse.

Victoria

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Paul Stevenson <paul.st...@cwix.com> wrote:

> Hairy, my arse.

Really?

--
Victoria

Victoria

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Iain Rowan <ia...@starfish.nu> wrote:

> Martha can hear the rustle of the catnip bag being opened at
> about 100 feet, and comes flying into the room at about 50
> mph. Sprinkle some on the floor, and she'll roll about in
> it like a kitten, and then start looking wasted.

What is catnip exactly?

--
Victoria

Adrian Toll

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
Up there somewhere, Victoria <vict...@lettings.demon.co.uk> wrote
It's a kind of mint.

Brian Skinner

Jan 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/30/99
vict...@lettings.demon.co.uk (Victoria) wrote:

> Iain Rowan <ia...@starfish.nu> wrote:
>
> > Martha can hear the rustle of the catnip bag being opened at
> > about 100 feet, and comes flying into the room at about 50
> > mph. Sprinkle some on the floor, and she'll roll about in
> > it like a kitten, and then start looking wasted.
>
> What is catnip exactly?

From Encyclopaedia Britannica:

CATNIP, also called CATMINT (Nepeta cataria), aromatic herb of the
mint family (Lamiaceae, or Labiatae). The plant has spikes of small,
purple-dotted flowers. Catnip has been used as a seasoning and as a
medicinal tea for colds and fever. Because its mintlike flavour and
aroma are particularly exciting to cats, it is often used as a
stuffing for cat playthings.

--
Brian

Gary Robert Kelly

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
Lindsay Endell wrote in message <78sbcr$r3e$1...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>...

>Adrian Vickers wrote in message ...

>>Curry of any strength, and garlic. Which came as one hell of a

surprise I
>>can assure you.
>

>Muesli, preferably with milk, but they'll eat it dry.
>
>Any plate that's within reach, no matter what dinner was.

Charlie likes grated cheese and instant whip (not mixed!) He especially
likes to lick the lids of Sainsbury's fromage frais. He got a bit of a
fright once when he saw his reflection in the foil.

Gaz Kelly <blackbessATtepidmailDOTcom>
"I'm glad she makes you feel like dancing, Leo, 'cos you
make me feel like driving into a f cking brick wall!"

Rod Begbie

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:12:15 +0000, Rapunzel <d.b...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

>OK so the Whiskas ad is nowt special - our cat prefers a nice wildlife
>program about small birds - but what /does/ turn your cat(s) on?

>Catnip?
>Honeysuckle?
>Sniffing exhaust pipes?

A mate had a cat that went completely shpxing psycho when he sniffed
earwax. And I've still got the scars to prove it.

Rod.

--
Rod Begbie -- r...@begbie.com -- http://www.begbie.com
"What do you want to do tonight?" "I don't know. Get a pizza. Watch Degrassi

Steev

Jan 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/31/99
Rod Begbie wrote:

> >Catnip?
> >Honeysuckle?
> >Sniffing exhaust pipes?
>
> A mate had a cat that went completely shpxing psycho when he sniffed
> earwax. And I've still got the scars to prove it.
>
> Rod.

Yeah part of the anti earwax-sniffing brigade, feline division.
phags

Andrew Welsh

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
r...@begbie.com (Rod Begbie) wrote:

: A mate had a cat that went completely shpxing psycho when he sniffed

: earwax. And I've still got the scars to prove it.

Whereas ours can't get enough of the stuff. She goes through the rubbish in
the bathroom looking for used "Q-tips" and then proceeds to eat the cotton and
earwaxy bits. Interestingly, this started soon after we started giving her
more expensive cat food, so perhaps the cheap stuff has a higher percentage
of cotton and/or earwax instead of fish and biscuits.

andrew
--
Andrew Welsh (and...@panix.com|and...@nufc.com|http://www.panix.com/~andreww)
Opinions expressed above are not necessarily endorsed by my employers.

Illtud Daniel

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99

Don't know about that one, but apparently the trick with the paper
cones is a legit poachers' trick, so I'd be very surprised if Dahl
made that one up. DCotW pissed off a lot of people for disclosing
tricks, or so I heard.

Mike Warren

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Victoria wrote:

> What is catnip exactly?
>
> --
> Victoria

Sort of cannabis for cats...I believe. Mine goes mad for it...a toy
mouse stuffed with catnip..(get em at the local supermarket)...he rips
it apart in about 4 seconds..then rolls around in all the bits;)
Mike Warren.

Mike Warren

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Richard Layton wrote:

> >He tried to shag a sheepskin rug once. Poor thing - I don't think
> he
> >could understand why it wasn't responding, but just lying there.
>
> We have a pet rabbit that thinks it's a cat. Get's up on the settee
> and
> sleeps next to you. Trys to hump your arm though if you keep still
> for too
> long.
> He's even litter trained.

MY cat trys to shag my jumpers if there is one lying around my
bedroom. Even though hes been 'done'..he will sit astride
it...grasping the arm in his mouth...his expression is one of 'I dont
know why the hell Im doing this..but I cant help myself' ;)..sometimes
he will drag the jumper out of the bedroom into the kitchen near his
food place..almost as if he thinks the smell of food will 'wake up' my
jumper ;).
Mike Warren.

Mike Warren

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
Iain Rowan wrote:
Except that

> you never see cats queuing at all night garages at 3am.

You never been to Oxford then..;)

Mike Warren.

Lindsay Endell

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Andrew Welsh wrote in message <794id3$72t$1...@panix2.panix.com>...

>r...@begbie.com (Rod Begbie) wrote:
>
>: A mate had a cat that went completely shpxing psycho when he sniffed
>: earwax. And I've still got the scars to prove it.
>
>Whereas ours can't get enough of the stuff. She goes through the rubbish in
>the bathroom looking for used "Q-tips" and then proceeds to eat the cotton
and
>earwaxy bits. Interestingly, this started soon after we started giving her
>more expensive cat food, so perhaps the cheap stuff has a higher percentage
>of cotton and/or earwax instead of fish and biscuits.

Thank god for that - it's good to know we aren't alone in finding small
plastic rods dotted around the house and realising that Bandit's been
raiding the bathroom bin again!

Just last weekend I was awoken by Bandit's cold, damp nose in my ear. I
rapidly ejected him and the other two cats from the room. Otherwise Felix
starts trying excavate through the duvet to my feet and Smokey Joe runs back
and forth across my bladder.

The joys of cat-owning...

Linz--