Rip off! New cable & wireless TV packages

Chris Leuty

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
[uk.telecom deleted. uk.media.tv.sky added]

In article <36093E24...@ukphone.areti.co.uk>, Steve Daniels
<St...@ukphone.areti.co.uk> wrote:

> I have today learned that Cable & Wirless are to change the channel line
> ups and package prices as of October 5th.
>
> After reading the documentation, I was horrified to read that, not only
> will I be loosing some of the more popular channels (being replaced by
> The Christian Channel, Manchester United Channel etc...) I also will
> have to pay £2.00 per month more for the privelage!
>
> Has anyone else discovered this? I am currently in talks with C&W to see
> if the situation can be resolved.
>
> Sky recently spent millions on an advertising campain to say they are
> not increasing their prices, this year, so why C&W who are famous for
> their "price promises".
>
> I would like to hear from people who have an opinion on this, whether it
> is against my views or not. Please email me and post to this group with
> your response, to what I can only see as the CABLE RIP OFF OF THE YEAR!

I received the letter today. If it's any consolation, I'm currently on the
basic Headstart package and they're offering me roughly the same channel
line-up (plus some [QVC/Home Shopping/Granada Breeze], minus some
[Living/History/TCC/Christian Channel]) for the same price i.e. £12.49
rather than the new price of £12.99. This price will last indefinitely or
until I change to another package.

But you're right, the new prices are slightly higher than the old
equivalents and are indeed £2 more if you want everything. It looks what
they've tried to do is break up the old packages into smaller chunks to
give people more choice. Now, I guess this could mean that if you happen to
only want the channels in a particular pack you're OK but, like their old
Jigsaw/Vision Plus packs, this never works out quite right.

What really makes things difficult/annoying is that certain channels are
available in more than one pack. To take an extreme case, the 'News &
Sport' pack contains Sky News and BBC News 24 which are part of the basic
'Access' pack! So if 'News & Sport' is what you want cos you like CNN (I
know, stay with me on this), the extra £3 you'll pay over 'Access' only
gets you BBC Parliament and Eurosport - not what I call brilliant value.

'Access' is £9.99 incl. decoder, telephone line rental with terrestrial,
ITV2 (to come...), UK Horizons plus some so-called 'freebies' - L!ve, Sky
Soap and Sky Travel - that are subject to change or withdrawl. Additional
packs after the first extra £3 cost an extra £1-£2 depending how many you
have. The first Premium (movie or sport) channel is £11-£15 depending on
how many packs you buy (£15 for none, £11 for all, £12 for any other
combination). The full package of packs + premium channels is £40.99. Porn,
foreign language and Cooking from Old Trafford cost more still.

I was hoping they'd offer individual channel subscriptions but I guess that
would be too difficult to administer. Of course, I don't really believe
that - I'm just being sarcastic. I phoned C&W on this matter earlier this
year after seeing an ad proclaiming they were giving customers more choice;
the drone even suggested that yes, individual channel subscriptions would
happen in May. I guess I missed that then...

As for overall channel line-up changes, the following have gone: Bravo,
Travel, TCC, Performance & AsiaNet, whilst the following have appeared: Fox
Kids, Sat1, Animal Planet, UK Style/Arena, ITV2 & Manchester Utd TV. Why
Sat1 replaces Performance I know not. MUTV is an add-on channel i.e. not in
any package at £6.99. But not in my house. These changes are for East
Lancs/North West/Bolton and could well be different in your area.

There is a note in my personalised covering letter that TCC and AsiaNet may
be re-introduced when digital C&W TV launches next Spring. So it won't be
this year but it will mean "more choice of TV, and better picture quality"
apparently. I don't know why just these 2 are mentioned - probably because
I don't currently have any of the other dropped channels. Not that I have
AsiaNet mind. And nothing actually replaces TCC as such according to the
channel list provided.

I suppose this is preparing us for the introduction of digital - no doubt
everything will get turned on its head again just for the sake of it. And
it will cost more. Or they'll charge the same and add a channel or two to
each pack to make them look better value. Actually, if they give us digital
without putting up prices for 18 months or so I think that overall it's not
too bad.

--
Incoming mail filtered for that cool, junk-free taste!
Chris Leuty, at home, Heald Green, Cheshire, UK.

Zaz

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:42:31 +0100, Chris...@umist.ac.uk (Chris
Leuty) wrote:

>As for overall channel line-up changes, the following have gone: Bravo,

Cable & Wireless are dropping Bravo?!

Zaz

VGN

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
>the following have gone: Bravo, Travel, TCC, Performance & AsiaNet

Oh No!

With the exception of TCC which I can recieve on Thor 1, these channels are
not available on Satellite, apart in digital FTA (Travel and Asianet).

Is Performance available on any satellite, apart from in encryped digital.

These comments are nothing to do with TPK Corp.

TPK Corporation on the web
http://www.video-games.net

Email webm...@video-games.net

Chris Leuty

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
In article <360a4fe1...@enews.newsguy.com>, Z...@u.dont.need.to.know
(Zaz) wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:42:31 +0100, Chris...@umist.ac.uk (Chris
> Leuty) wrote:
>

> >As for overall channel line-up changes, the following have gone: Bravo,
>

> Cable & Wireless are dropping Bravo?!

It's not on the channel list they sent me and it doesn't appear in the
separate leaflet listing the packs. Trouble's not listed either but that
might have already gone - anyone?

[This is from memory - I'm at work at present and the stuff's at home. I'll
check it and report back if this is incorrect. Mind you, I've not watched
Bravo since they got rid of the Flying Nun...]

--
Incoming mail filtered for that cool, clean, junk-free taste!
Christopher D. Leuty, Manutech at UMIST.

nosp...@psynet.net

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:43:55 +0100, Chris...@umist.ac.uk (Chris
Leuty) agreed with me in full and then said:

>> >As for overall channel line-up changes, the following have gone: Bravo,
>>

>> Cable & Wireless are dropping Bravo?!
>
>It's not on the channel list they sent me and it doesn't appear in the
>separate leaflet listing the packs. Trouble's not listed either but that
>might have already gone - anyone?
>
>[This is from memory - I'm at work at present and the stuff's at home. I'll
>check it and report back if this is incorrect. Mind you, I've not watched
>Bravo since they got rid of the Flying Nun...]

Oh dear! You were doing well until you mentioned the flying nun;-)

Anti-spam device!
To reply via email - please remove the <no spam> from the email address

cable...@cable.com

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <906684875.19006.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,

"VGN" <webm...@nospam.video-games.net> wrote:
> >the following have gone: Bravo, Travel, TCC, Performance & AsiaNet
>
> Oh No!
>
> With the exception of TCC which I can recieve on Thor 1, these channels are
> not available on Satellite, apart in digital FTA (Travel and Asianet).
>
> Is Performance available on any satellite, apart from in encryped digital.
>
> These comments are nothing to do with TPK Corp.

We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
What areas is this channel loss occurring in?

Ian-Paul Munday
Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org

Steve Daniels

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
The channel loss will be nationwide as from October 5th, this is when the new
packages take effect

Steve Daniels

nosp...@psynet.net

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:10:54 GMT, cable...@cable.com agreed with me

in full and then said:

>We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
>What areas is this channel loss occurring in?
>
>Ian-Paul Munday
>Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org

If cable and wireless are 1 company now - why is it that the pricing
and choice of channels differ so widely?

And you mention Bromley. I did for a period of 6 months subscribe
(Nynex) - and promptly cancelled my subscription. Your offerings were
infinatelty inferior to those I could get on my home satellite system.
I realise the dish you would use should be sizable - but at times I
would think you were using a dish smaller than 60 cm - as the pictures
on some channels were full of sparklies on saturated colours.

Unfortunately Cable "offers" so much - but delivers very little!

BTW when are you going to give us CLID ? When I took the phone
services almost 4 years ago - I was told it would be within 3 months!
Are C&W months different to everyone elses?

cable...@cable.com

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

> The channel loss will be nationwide as from October 5th, this is when the new
> packages take effect
>
> Steve Daniels

> > > Oh No!
> > >
> > > With the exception of TCC which I can recieve on Thor 1, these channels
are
> > > not available on Satellite, apart in digital FTA (Travel and Asianet).
> > >
> > > Is Performance available on any satellite, apart from in encryped digital.
> > >
> > > These comments are nothing to do with TPK Corp.
> >

> > We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
> > What areas is this channel loss occurring in?
> >
> > Ian-Paul Munday
> > Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org

Thanks Steve,

Perhaps the only thing left for us to do is to press for C&W to introduce
digital cable earlier? What's everyone else think - if C&W don't respond on
smaller issues - I don't see we've got much hope, but it's worth a try.

Regards,

Ian-Paul Munday
Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org

cable...@cable.com

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

> >We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
> >What areas is this channel loss occurring in?
> >
> >Ian-Paul Munday
> >Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org
>
> If cable and wireless are 1 company now - why is it that the pricing
> and choice of channels differ so widely?
>
> And you mention Bromley. I did for a period of 6 months subscribe
> (Nynex) - and promptly cancelled my subscription. Your offerings were
> infinatelty inferior to those I could get on my home satellite system.
> I realise the dish you would use should be sizable - but at times I
> would think you were using a dish smaller than 60 cm - as the pictures
> on some channels were full of sparklies on saturated colours.
>
> Unfortunately Cable "offers" so much - but delivers very little!
>
> BTW when are you going to give us CLID ? When I took the phone
> services almost 4 years ago - I was told it would be within 3 months!
> Are C&W months different to everyone elses?

Graham Wallace sent me a Xmas card today - for last year! :-) Well, we all
know what NYNEX was like and I suppose when the merger came in, it all went
to pot. I'll try and find out for you.

Chris Leuty

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In article <360f6...@nt004.prima.net>, "James Winsoar"
<swin...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> All Cable TV companies are much more expensive than SkyTV.

That depends which way you look at it. C&W's new full package is £40.99 per
month cf Sky's £29.99. The extra £11 includes telephone line rental (listed
at £4 on my bill with 99p free calls) and decoder rental (listed at £4.99).
So it's not 'much more' when you take a BT telephone line into account plus
you don't have to buy any equipment.

I note today's Guardian says C&W will charge £30 for existing customers to
upgrade to digital, although new customers from Oct 5th will get it for
free. Surely at some point in the future they'll want to turn off analogue
and have to convert stragglers for free - or will they? They'll have to
have a good argument for switching as I can see digital just being an
opportunity to spend more money and we'll have to pay them for the
privilege.

--

Incoming mail filtered for that cool, junk-free taste!
Chris Leuty, at home, Heald Green, Cheshire, UK.

Chris Leuty

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:10:54 GMT, cable...@cable.com agreed with me
> in full and then said:
>

> >We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
> >What areas is this channel loss occurring in?
> >
> >Ian-Paul Munday
> >Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org
>
> If cable and wireless are 1 company now - why is it that the pricing
> and choice of channels differ so widely?
>
> And you mention Bromley. I did for a period of 6 months subscribe
> (Nynex) - and promptly cancelled my subscription. Your offerings were
> infinatelty inferior to those I could get on my home satellite system.
> I realise the dish you would use should be sizable - but at times I
> would think you were using a dish smaller than 60 cm - as the pictures
> on some channels were full of sparklies on saturated colours.
>
> Unfortunately Cable "offers" so much - but delivers very little!
>
> BTW when are you going to give us CLID ? When I took the phone
> services almost 4 years ago - I was told it would be within 3 months!
> Are C&W months different to everyone elses?

You (nosp...@psynet.net) seem to be under the impression that Ian-Paul
Munday represents Cable & Wireless Communications which is somewhat ironic
considering the debate in uk.telecom over his claims to represent C&W's
customers.

I notice Ian-Paul didn't correct you in his reply either...

Jerome O'Donohoe

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
I felt a huge disturbance in the force when On Fri, 25 Sep 1998

01:54:13 +0100, "VGN" <webm...@nospam.video-games.net> wrote:

>>the following have gone: Bravo, Travel, TCC, Performance & AsiaNet
>
>Oh No!
>
>With the exception of TCC which I can recieve on Thor 1, these channels are
>not available on Satellite, apart in digital FTA (Travel and Asianet).
>
>Is Performance available on any satellite, apart from in encryped digital.

Errr, Bravo & Trouble are on analogue Astra, TCC died in the UK some
time ago. Bravo & Trouble have gone from cable & wireless because
Flextech (B&T's owners) did a deal with C&W to carry more UK
Arena-type channels (Flextech/BBC owned). Yet another reason not to
bother with the shite cable operators.
Jerome O'Donohoe,Dubbing Mixer, Digital Sound Editor blah blah
Jer...@odonohoe.demon.co.uk www.odonohoe.demon.co.uk
VW Golf GTi 8v Zoooooom!!!!! errrrr...i'll get me anorak.

nosp...@psynet.net

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:27:40 +0100, Chris...@umist.ac.uk (Chris
Leuty) agreed with me in full and then said:

>> BTW when are you going to give us CLID ? When I took the phone
>> services almost 4 years ago - I was told it would be within 3 months!
>> Are C&W months different to everyone elses?
>
>You (nosp...@psynet.net) seem to be under the impression that Ian-Paul
>Munday represents Cable & Wireless Communications which is somewhat ironic
>considering the debate in uk.telecom over his claims to represent C&W's
>customers.
>
>I notice Ian-Paul didn't correct you in his reply either...

Have to admit - when I first read it I did. I did realise after his
response that he didn't. Sorry for the confussion! I notice the groups
this thread seems to be crossed posted to, uk.telecom isn't one of
them! And you have to admit - the email address does look like he
does! After saying that - C&W dont give 2 hoots on customer care - so
I should have realsied they would not be trawling anywhere to be
helpful!

Chris Leuty

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

> I notice the groups
> this thread seems to be crossed posted to, uk.telecom isn't one of
> them!

It was originally but I removed it as it has nothing to do with telecoms
other than C&W also offer a phone service.

uk.media.tv.cable anyone?

cable...@cable.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

> >You (nosp...@psynet.net) seem to be under the impression that Ian-Paul
> >Munday represents Cable & Wireless Communications which is somewhat ironic
> >considering the debate in uk.telecom over his claims to represent C&W's
> >customers.
> >
> >I notice Ian-Paul didn't correct you in his reply either...

Sorry, I didn't log on.

> Have to admit - when I first read it I did. I did realise after his

> response that he didn't. Sorry for the confussion! I notice the groups

> this thread seems to be crossed posted to, uk.telecom isn't one of

> them! And you have to admit - the email address does look like he
> does! After saying that - C&W dont give 2 hoots on customer care - so
> I should have realsied they would not be trawling anywhere to be
> helpful!

Well, we are virtually doing C&W's customer services' job for them. When
someone complains, we take it straight to the top - C/S do nothing.

cable...@cable.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

> > >We've still got Bravo, Travel and TCC in the Bromley area.
> > >What areas is this channel loss occurring in?
> > >
> > >Ian-Paul Munday
> > >Cable Community - http://cablecomms.home.ml.org
> >
> > If cable and wireless are 1 company now - why is it that the pricing
> > and choice of channels differ so widely?
> >
> > And you mention Bromley. I did for a period of 6 months subscribe
> > (Nynex) - and promptly cancelled my subscription. Your offerings were
> > infinatelty inferior to those I could get on my home satellite system.
> > I realise the dish you would use should be sizable - but at times I
> > would think you were using a dish smaller than 60 cm - as the pictures
> > on some channels were full of sparklies on saturated colours.
> >
> > Unfortunately Cable "offers" so much - but delivers very little!
> >

> > BTW when are you going to give us CLID ? When I took the phone
> > services almost 4 years ago - I was told it would be within 3 months!
> > Are C&W months different to everyone elses?
>

> You (nosp...@psynet.net) seem to be under the impression that Ian-Paul
> Munday represents Cable & Wireless Communications which is somewhat ironic
> considering the debate in uk.telecom over his claims to represent C&W's
> customers.
>
> I notice Ian-Paul didn't correct you in his reply either...

Why would I want people to think we're CWC? I wouldn't have been asking about
channel loss either; I would have known, then again, I suppose we are talking
about CWC here.....

It's not the first time we've been confused with the company - we often get
e-mails saying "why have you done this" and "will you cancel my acccount". In
such cases, I can only forward the e-mail to the relevant dept. but I haven't
got the power to close accounts etc. E-mails are best addressed to:
janet.so...@cwcom.co.uk Although, there's not guarantee of a reply.